[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Linux for newfag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: 1319611982780.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1319611982780.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
Hey guys, newfag here

I want to start learning linux...which one would /g/ recommend?

>Pic nonrelated
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51294312
Why gentoo? Isnt it for experiencer linux users?
>>
Ubuntu
>>
Arch
>>
You should ask this in the Friendly linux thread:
>>>/g/flt

The answers youll get are normally either a derivative of Ubuntu or linux mint.

personally i think unity, the desktop for default ubuntu gets a bad rap and is an overall better choice than linux mint.
>>
Ubuntu, It's simple and its easy for new Linux users. I'll also recommend Linux Mint.
>>
Gentoo is a meme.

Arch is too hard for you.

Ubuntu is shit.

Go with latest Kubuntu or latest Mint Cinnamon. Both of these "just werks" and are fairly simple.

Once you're ready to dive deeper, give installing Arch from scratch a try so you learn more about how Linux works.
>>
>>51294678
not op here but linux newfag as well. Ive been lurking on /g/ for awhile and hear a lot of you say this

>learn the hard way

but it might be too difficult for my level. Is there an option thats somewhere between Arch and ubuntu for a beginner?
>>
>>51294716
You could go for an Arch that's already set up.

Antergos or Manjaro.
>>
gentoo
>>
>>51294730

Or an ubuntu thats not set up so easy and go debian.
>>
>>51294295
You wanna look for an Ubuntu based distribution, everything is well documented and werks out of the box. Ubuntu has a shitty desktop environment, so it is discouraged. Mint is pretty Windows-y. Xubuntu is minimal. Elementary is an OSX knock off. Ubuntu Gnome is GOAT but a little peculiar, not everyone likes it, rule of thumb is if you liked Windows 8 you won't hate Gnome either.
But really, don't overthink this. Try a distro for a week, decide what you like and what you don't like and then ask for advice again.
>>
>>51294295

SteamOS
>>
File: 7LLKme2.jpg (75 KB, 764x609) Image search: [Google]
7LLKme2.jpg
75 KB, 764x609
>>51294312
>>
>>51294716
>it might be too difficult for my level

Install Arch first in a VM before installing it on real hardware.

It's really not as hard as you would think, the beginners' guide is easy to follow.

You will learn a lot, appreciate linux more and really realize how shit windows actually is.
>>
>>51294295
Linux Mint

It's Ubuntu but with a less shit interface. It looks more like Windows. It's easy like Ubuntu. Has a software center.

Once you get settled in try other WM/DE's (these are basically desktop environments. Like how windows 3.1 and Windows 7 have totally different desktop environments). Thebes try the various File Managers, which are like Explorer in Windows. Try messing around with stuff you want to do. Like suddenly you feel like changing the loading screen that displays when you boot your PC? Google it and do it.

Don't worry about cleanliness or bloat. After a few weeks of messing around purge the OS and install a new one to use more permanently with a fresh start.
>>
Ubuntu is linux for niggers, they also sell your information to amazon but it's good for beginners

Debian is the other usable linux

The rest is shit and memes and for enterprise use, especially arch
>>
Xubuntu, Ubuntu is for fags
>>
Can anyone give me solid reasons, i.e. not subjective, why Xubuntu should not be recommended to beginners?
>>
>>51295082
what is your reason for preferring XFCE over MATE?
>>
>>51294295
Debian
>>
>>51295109
I don't necessarily prefer MATE, because I've never used it. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
>>
File: linux-file-tree.jpg (92 KB, 640x519) Image search: [Google]
linux-file-tree.jpg
92 KB, 640x519
It doesn't really matter OP, just get any of the "easy" "desktop distros". The Desktop Environment you use doesn't matter for the most part, all the major ones are usable and provide most of the features that you'll want out of the box.

If you want to "learn linux" then you should use it as your main desktop OS for a while and take the time to dig deeper and learn about how the file system is set up, how package managers work, and how to use the basic command line utilities. Learn how to pull up documentation and manuals for command line programs and attempt to read the supplied documentation to teach yourself how to make the program do what you want it to do before you go online and search through google. Learn about config files and how to edit them to make programs behave how you want them to.
>>
>>51295175
I assume your reason for suggesting Xubuntu is due to disliking Unity or Gnome 3.

MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 which is what legacy versions of Ubuntu used.

Gnome has typically been prettier than XFCE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_%28software%29
>>
>>51294295
step 1: go to GOD DAMN >>>/g/sqt
step 2: install openSUSE, during install choose GNOME/KDE (xfce in case your pc is old)
step3: profit
>>
>>51294829
Source?
>>
>>51294656
This.
Biggest support network, easy to install and use. Very functional. Once you get familiar with linux start distro hopping and find what you like. I would start with any ubuntu flavor, preferably xubuntu.
>>
The important is the kiss phylosophy
>>
>>51294363
it is for *nix wizard
>>
Ubuntu

I'd try the different desktops or at least check videos.

Ubuntu (unity)
Xubuntu (Xfce)
Ubuntu Gnome (Gnome 3)
Kubuntu (Kde)

A shitload more of buntus here.

I like Gnome 3 and Xfce the best out of them all.

Gnome 3 looks good and is really comfy to use.
Best multi-desktop experience of all of them desu.

I've switched from it because i use Eclipse and it is just broken in Gnome 3, sadly i need to use it and i'd rather switch my DE than switching my IDE.

Xfce is a nice and simple desktop, fast, similar to old good gnome 2 , it's nice to small displays, no crazy padding for no reason.

Unity is an intermediate step between gnome 2 or Xfce and Gnome 3.
I really hated the lateral bar and that it tried to search shit in the web like stupid W10 so i switched to gnome 3, but otherwise it's a good DE.

I've also tried cinnamon and mate (usually comes with linux mint) , but it just feels like poor man's Windows desktop.

Mate is as fast as Xfce, but it looks so shitty.
>>
OP here
Big thanks to all your replys, i think i ll go for steam os like someone suggested...
No, i think ill start with Xubuntu or Ubuntu...do they work on older pc's too? I have a netbook lying around here which i dont use so i wanted to install linux there... it has just 1 gig ram and i think a 1.6ghz intel atom - will they run on it? (Name of netbook is medion akoya i think)
>>
>>51297938
Install normal debian on it and openbox as GUI.
Trisquel also runs very well on old computers. I have an old netbook with only 300MHz processor running it.

LEARN TO USE THE COMMAND LINE
You will be ahead of 90% of people using computers.

You can install a server version of ubuntu which is command line only - no gui and then do:

sudo apt-get install openbox

it will install a simple gui.
To open gui from command line type
startx
>>
>>51298322
Why should i go for debian instead of xubuntu?
And why should i go for a server version of ubuntu without gui? To get better known with commandline cause its the only thing i have there?
Glad to hear they ll run on this crappy thing.>>51298322
>>
Once I'd read about Linux From Scratch and they said it would be hard but you'll get a profi after this. But I started with Ubuntu 10.10... ah old times of my youth
>>
>>51298634
Allraight....so you would recommend me debian?
What does the rest of /g/ think about debian?
>>
>>51294730
>Antergos
>Manjaro
shit taste

Its like ordering a steak but only eating it after it comes out of someones ass
>>
>>51297481
Phylosophy
-
gr. - the wisdom of the tribes
>>
I have been trying to free myself from the Microshaft for a while too /g/. I tried Debian, openSuse, Mint and Manjaro (not in that order). I don't like Ungabungatu for various reasons.
Why was Knoppix not mentioned?
Also, aren't most distros Debian based?
>>
>>51294295
Mac :v
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-11-12-33-07.png (340 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-11-12-33-07.png
340 KB, 1440x2560
not OP, but in a similar boat.

Been lurking/posting/testing distros for this past week. I wrote out this self-guide just to decompress and establish conclusions. It's sounding that Kubuntu will work just fine for my needs (already has a media suite, uses KDE which I'm already familiar with, good package support).
>>
Op here

>>51299496
Would u recommend debian? Or which distro felt best for you & why?
>>51299836
Kek....
>>
>>51294678
Debian, fedora and opensuse with debian being my favorite.
>>
>>51300114
not that guy but do try out Debian. It's just like Ubuntu but without all the shit.
>>
>>51299924
zsh is not a good idea for a beginner, also viewnior is better for beginners than feh and standalone WMs are not a good idea for a noob aswell.
>>
>>51300147
was meant for
>>51294716
>>
>>51300187
i actually prefer bash, haha. will look into viewnior.

I really want bspwm for ricing but it sounds like I should wait on that? why would it not be noob-appropriate
>>
Op here
>>51300187
Whats zsh?
>>51300150
What do you mean with "shit" in ubuntu?
>>
>>51300311
Amazon and friends.
>>
>>51300308
you can try openbox/awesome/i3/whatever but i think you want something easier like XFCE/LXDE/KDE/GNOME as a starting point.
you can rice everything, some things are just easier to rice than others.
>>51300311
>Whats zsh?
it's like the powershell in windows (but a lot better) and bash (which is also great)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zsh
>>
>>51300399
Thanks

So many distros...still confused which one i should choose :/
>>
>>51300437
i personally would recommend you to use either debian or xubuntu as a first distro.
you can make debian as free or non-free as you like
you can make it as stable or bleeding edge as you like
you can install it as minimally or full as you like
>>
I found antergos was just the right amount of involvement, as installer just werks™, but since it's arch you still have to spend some time in terminal afterwards, VS ubuntu in which you can theoretically never look at it.
>>
>>51294678
>Arch
This
Youll only learn linux if you use the shell, and arch kinda forces you to use it
>>
Mint
>>
>>51300730
every distro that isn't *buntu or opensuse does this. it's not like arch is the only way to "learn linux"
>>
>Install Ubuntu
>Fan ramps up to 100%
>Laptop heats up so much it burns my hands
>Wifi disconnects and pops up asking for my password literally every minute
>Try to install Unity Tweak
>Claims that apt-get is currently in use, despite nothing using it
>>
File: 1357389815868.png (429 KB, 559x477) Image search: [Google]
1357389815868.png
429 KB, 559x477
>distro hoppers
>>
>>51300879
so you use the same distro as when you started? never even tried something else?
>>
>>51300577
So i think debian would be the right choice... any tips?
I ll go for it in a few days when i have more time

Btw - time: how long ll it take me to get a little bit familar with debian / linux in general? (Im not a computer newfag, just new in linux)
>>
>>51300795
>>install gentoo and then install ubuntu in it and write random stuff in every configuration file as well as start some infinite loops in my .profile just for keks
>>it gets hot oh what a surprise, too bad i bought shit hardware that wasn't designed to handle 100% load
>>wifi disconnects because I tried to write my own wifi drivers and came on the wifi card
>>try to fuck up my system more even though i already pooped enough
>>have 10 cron jobs with apt running asking for "Y" cause im a fucking retard
>>
>>51300879
I started with Arch Linux.
>>
>>51301046
i just like debian the best, not sure what you will like. i'd recommend you to check out >>>/g/flt
and
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software
and
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
it took me a few weeks to get comfortable.
>>
>>51294730
Jesus just leave those arch lite distros alone. If you're wanting to learn on arch but can't get through the install just use Architect. It's pure vanilla arch and holds your hand through the installation
>>
>>51301082
Nigger all I did was install Ubuntu from a usb, that's it
>>
Debian masterrace reporting
Been using it for a week and learning a lot
>>
>>51301118
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure
>>
>>51301093
This. If you don't have a high enough iq to follow the instructions in the beginner's guide just buy a fucking mac you insignificant piece of shit op. I swear you fucking faggot op. Maybe while you're using your new macbook in Starbucks you'll be able to find like minded faggots that will be more than willing to let your dumb ass suck their cocks.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.