[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ feel about Ubuntu becoming the operating system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: dji-manifold-web-res.jpg (70 KB, 630x454) Image search: [Google]
dji-manifold-web-res.jpg
70 KB, 630x454
How does /g/ feel about Ubuntu becoming the operating system used to run drones and robots?
>>
If their phone/tablet OS is any indication, oh no
>>
>>51293696
this

also this nigger name has to go away. one of the worst sounding brand names ever.
>>
>>51293668
You mean they're giving my desktop that ability to fly? pretty cool desu senpai
>>
>>51293716
oh jesus i thought the filter was a joke, i'm so sorry everyone.
>>
>>51293725
the filter is good, you are shit (as demonstrated above).
>>
>>51293668
g feels KEK
>>
File: rosorg-logo1.png (5 KB, 254x73) Image search: [Google]
rosorg-logo1.png
5 KB, 254x73
>>51293668
Don't we already have like ten FOSS robotics OSes?

ROS being the main thing in this field. http://www.ros.org/
>>
File: rosturtle.jpg (57 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
rosturtle.jpg
57 KB, 620x453
>>51293763
and guess what ROS runs on and is developed for? Ubuntu. ROS is not an operating system. ROS is what has allowed Ubuntu to take over robotics.

there are experimental builds for gentoo though.
>>
>>51293763
>>51293668
i thought linux-rt wasn't a thing anymore

what the shit? you're supposed to have RTOS on robotic stuff

I have a feeling ubuntu is only gonna be used for flightpath planning, camera control/image processing and some kind of 3g/4g telemetry gateway.

anywhere I can read more about this?
>>
>>51293668
Would you not need an RTOS for that sort of thing?
>>
>>51293840
Oh shit didn't know this. But why would your take Ubuntu as base for robotics? Seems like an odd choice to go for a fully fledged OS with DE and all. Sounds computationally expensive.
>>
>>51293725
dude what you said rhymed
>>
File: pr2.png (200 KB, 460x435) Image search: [Google]
pr2.png
200 KB, 460x435
>>51293870
>>51293860
>>I have a feeling ubuntu is only gonna be used for flightpath planning, camera control/image processing and some kind of 3g/4g telemetry gateway.
well that's the idea. You are supposed to use it to do this kind of stuff and send commands to low level controllers

>>anywhere I can read more about this?
http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/Introduction

>>51293876
Stability. Computers don't suck anymore, but robots do. So it's important to have something with a bunch of GUI debugging tools to figure out what the fuck is going wrong with your robot.
>>
I was thinking about this the other day. Currently drone users usually run their equipment through a collection of transmitters, one rcplane type controller, another transmitter for video feeds.

If you put a reasonable arm board inside combined with a wifi AC wireless device and set up a high powered router where you wanted to fly could you just send the video and control data over IP and not bother with off the shelf rc plane equipment?
>>
>>51294248
you can buy a drone that does exactly this at walmart. They can be hacked over IP too.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/parrot-drones-easily-taken-down-or-hijacked-researchers-demonstrate/
>>
>>51294302
I mean a proper one with 2km range. Would high end wifi with a decent adapter in the drone and a high end router on the ground work?

Basically when you wanted to fly it you would go to the location, set up the drone, plug the router into a power supply and connect it to a large antenna. Then get your laptop connect a joystick, headmounted, SSH into the drone and fly it in first person with high bitrate 1080p.
>>
>>51294606
parrot bebop drone with skycontroller is exactly that. Even has a 2km range
>>
That's not news, Ubuntu is for drones.
>>
>>51294744
That's pretty good for a consumer product. But it's not much use for higher end stuff. The high end ones rely on fully programmable flight controllers that can fly things like ducted fan VTOLs that switch from thrust vectoring to normal flight, they have sonar range finders and complex robotic camera mounts.

This DJI one looks interesting but DJI are usually expensive and too limited to compared to open source flight controllers.
>>
>>51294944
>>The high end ones rely on fully programmable flight controllers that can fly things like ducted fan VTOLs
source?

>>sonar range finders
the drone I posted has that.

DJI and parrot suck though, because fuck geofencing.
>>
I would imagine a good number of people who would set out to build a drone like this might be pretty proficient with a computer and have used linux before but they don't have a computer engineering degree and want the software side to "Just Werk".

Ubuntu is normie linux.
>>
File: 1437096247062.jpg (65 KB, 450x148) Image search: [Google]
1437096247062.jpg
65 KB, 450x148
>>51293668
>Ubuntu rumoured to contain Amazon spyware
>Amazon investing in drones and robots
>Ubuntu starts dev-ing for Unbuntu OS powered drones

Suspicious.
>>
File: bWdAVWM.jpg (179 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
bWdAVWM.jpg
179 KB, 960x1280
Ubuntu already runs the world's fastest supercomputers so it's a no brainer.
>>
>>51295096
A sizable percentage of contributions to the GNU and Linux projects are done through a corporate capacity.
>>
>unbuntu
>>
>>51295047
There's a few people working on tiltrotors and crazy ducted fan things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWul6FoUcYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd24_7lb88g

Only a matter of time before people have crazy VTOLs that do 300km/h in conventional flight.
>>
File: diamondback_posterHi_rgb.jpg (3 MB, 2323x3088) Image search: [Google]
diamondback_posterHi_rgb.jpg
3 MB, 2323x3088
>>51295096
well no, you see some people decided Ubuntu was a great thing to run robotics software on. They made some really cool software that was so good it BTFO of microsoft's attempt to get into robotics.

Ubuntu didn't contribute jackshit to it.

They are getting funded by DARPA though, so who knows:
http://www.osrfoundation.org/
>>
While we're on the topic of drones, let's discuss legality.

How long do you think it will be before these things are banned or severely restricted? Will it be the "terrorist" paranoia? Or will it be the muh privacy concerns?
>>
>>51295287
2 months cause FAA.
>>
>>51295287
Someone will do something crazy eventually. If you look at what you can do with them right now, you could build a quadcopter that flies for around 1 hour, has thermal vision, rangefinder, autopilot and enough payload to fit a turreted silenced gun with maybe 100 rounds. You could connect and control it via 4g in a city.

Probably sophisticated criminals using them for robberies or assassinations will be the biggest problem. It will take them a while to realize what drones can do though.

I wish I knew how to start a company to build armed versions for the military. It costs $50,000 - $200,000 per shot to blow up a single toyota technical using cold war era weapons. It would probably cost $500 with modern drones.
>>
>>51295581
The payload of these drones is something like 5 pounds.

Excluding navigation equipment and other electronics, 5 pounds of something like plastic explosive isn't really much though it probably could blow up a truck.
>>
>>51293668
It's a bad thing.
For the drones they want to bring Snappy. Snappy will bring security issues with it since it will be the devs to provide the updates of the libraries they use.
>>
>>51295703
You would be surprised, lot's of anti tank missiles have pretty meager warheads 4-10kg will cut through 1000mm of steel.

Some anti vehicle missile systems are even worthless if you aim them but don't fire. I think the US javelin costs about $80,000 if you lock a target then don't fire it due to it using cooled IR seekers that only work once.
>>
>>51296067
what's snappy? Also, ubuntu isn't the one that made ubuntu work for robots, that would be the open source robotics foundation. People there like ubuntu so much they actually use unity.
>>
>>51295223
that monophan thing is interesting... looks so awkward though.
>>
>>51295223
but, ducted fans have a high disk loading.

Honestly, what I really want to see is someone take one of those RC jet engines and put some special intakes on so it works at supersonic speeds. Preferably using something like the SR-71 used.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.