[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was nothing but a waste of time for everybody, wasn't it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
File: tile-template1.jpg (18 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
tile-template1.jpg
18 KB, 350x200
This was nothing but a waste of time for everybody, wasn't it?
>>
>>51293049
You're wasting time here, talking about games on a technology board.
Back to your containment board >>>/v/
>>
Didn't waste a moment of my time.
>>
>>51293049

Yes, truly, the future of OSes is a waste of time *sarcasm

>u r retarded
>>
>>51293096
>the future of OSes

Elaborate.
>>
>>51293049
yes and no.
The OS itself isn't worth the time, as you can install the steam client on other distros, go big picture mode and have
>SteamOS

The campaign around it, to push Gaming on Linux wasn't the revolution i hoped for, but a big step in the right direction
>>
A big lot of games are made for Linux.

DirectX should be kill within a few years
>>
SteamingPOS
>>
SteamOS is driving development of games for Linux and Mac OS X. Thanks Valve.
>>
Was?

Are they even out?

I don't doubt they're going to slowly shuffle out of the gate (in the future because they're literally not out yet) but if SteamOS and the Steam Machines fail in the long run I'm going to be sorely disappointed, having to buy new consoles that don't work with my games and controllers, accounts and saves and purchases from as little as 5 years ago is fucking dumb

Ofc you can fix all this by getting a gaming PC but fuck you
>>
They really need to change that fucking logo. Looks like something some 16 year old who just learned how to do some shitty graphic design in Photoshop slapped together.
>>
>>51293096
>the future of OSes
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1324269727302.jpg (8 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1324269727302.jpg
8 KB, 251x251
>>51293244
>putting proprietary software on a GPL project.
>software that's purpose is exclusively to find more proprietary software

>a big step in the right direction
>>
>>51293049
If this means we'll get some non-shit GPU drivers I'm all for it.
>>
>>51293049
this thread is a waste of time
god damn underage scum everywhere
>>
>>51294050

You sound fat
>>
>>51293137
>DRM Linux
>the future

>>51293256
There still are 5 times as many games on Windows. Gamers are not going to give up the majority of their game library.
>>
>>51293972
yes,
progress vs. no progress

I didn't say Steam/OS is THE solution. Just a step in the right direction (READ: GET GAMEZ TO LEE NUCKS)
>>
No. It just needs a killer app that is enough to make people switch. Orange Box 2 with Half Life 3, Team Fortress 3, and Left 4 Dead 3 would do the trick.
>>
>>51293049
Maybe if the games ran better on GNU/Linux than they do on Windows or even OS X.
All the performance tests for games on Windows and Linux usually have Windows as the winner.
Besides Dota 2, which on the Source 2 engine apparently runs better on Linux.
I guess they don't feel like optimizing OpenGL over DirectX.
>>
>>51294348
Orange Box 2 confirmed for six month early release for Linux/Steambox.

Actually, that would probably make sales explode.
>>
>>51293049

Not as big if a waste of time as the "Steam Box".

> Literally just overpriced Alienware PCs that will be outdated in a year.

The only worthwhile piece is the stream stick or whatever so you can play off your real game rig on any TV/screen.

The problem is it still has input lag, which can be catastrophic in some games.
>>
As far as game dev goes, half the work was already done by Mac ports. It was not a waste of time par say.

However my htpc just died recently so maybe I'll get a steammachine instead of forking out $600 for a huge desktop tower.
>>
>>51293049
when will it launch officially ? Isn't there steam machines being sold already ?
>>
>>51293096
Most people are to ignorant to understand this high level post.

Without new OS's being developed and tested. Their will be an obvious winner of future computing happening soon.
>>
>>51294192
>There still are 5 times as many games on Windows. Gamers are not going to give up the majority of their game library.
the catalog of games in the consoles are shit compared to a computer, and yet, they buy them
>>
I think people forget that Steam machines and steam OS is here to compete with the PS4 and the Xbox one. Not windows. Even if it will I think.

And for devs, if the steam OS is successful, just a little, they will port their games to steam OS, and will probably use openGL or vulkan, killing DX.
>>
>>51295946
>Debian with Steam pre-installed and the same Windows NVIDIA drivers.
>new OS
>>51295969
>>51296030
People who buy consoles usually only get them for exclusives or thinking they'll save money when they usually end up spending more.
New releases being $60 and the day one DLC or season passes that are $30-50.
They might not like the design of Valve's Steam controller either just because it's "different"
>>
>>51296133
>Windows NVIDIA drivers.
>Debian
?
>>
>>51296142
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SteamOS
>"Debian-based Linux operating system"
>"Overall, the Nvidia's proprietary Linux graphics driver can deliver comparable performance to that of the Windows drivers due to the largely shared code-base between the platforms."
>>
File: fedora_compromise.png (100 KB, 800x586) Image search: [Google]
fedora_compromise.png
100 KB, 800x586
>>51293972
Don't you understand, goyim, we need to be pragmatic, make ethical compromises, and welcome all shitty ports of terribly designed proprietary software, or we'll never attract new users to our platform!
>>
>>51294503
dota 2 feels shitty on linux , weird latency , blurry , interface wasnt as responsive in linux , alt tabbing sucks.

If that is the best they can do i'll just keep booting windows for games.

I have a gtx650 so no meme AMD linux drivers.
>>
>>51296161
Take care, stupid question ahead: Are those open source drivers?
>>
>>51296300
http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
>Is all of SteamOS open source software?
>No. SteamOS ships with our Steam Client program, which is proprietary software, in addition to proprietary 3rd party drivers. In the SteamOS standard configuration, the Steam Client program serves as a user interface and provides connectivity to our Steam online services. That being said, you can still access the standard Linux desktop.
>>
>>51296237
I don't give a shit about that. All that allows is for other people to install bad software (seriously, everything on that list has flaws that go far beyond proprietary licenses). It won't taint my distribution.
In the same way as I believe adults should be allowed to do heroin, yet I have no plans to ever tie one off.
>>
>>51294173
you sound ntfs
>>
>>51295907
yesterday actually
>>
>>51296481
The problem is that the more proprietary software is used to attract users, the greater the demand becomes for proprietary software availability. And Red Hat, Canonical, etc. need to develop the means to support that availability, which means supporting bundling, crossplatform hacks, and other shit which people have long criticized about Windows and OS X.

Steam, which is pretty much the apotheosis of all those bad software concepts, is unironically hailed as a big step forward for the Linux platform
>>
>>51295969
Virtually all AAA releases are on consoles. Only a handful are on SteamOS.
Why would a console gamer pay twice the price of a PS4 for a "muh graphics" steambox that only gets 5 AAA releases per year that actually make use of the hardware?
>>
>>51294304
>bad progress is better than no progress
nope
>>
>>51295969
Computers
>edgy 2d platformers with a twist, SJW walking simulators, crappy ports of console games
Consoles
>are the focus of almost all AAA devs, console exclusives are superior to indie crap

If all you have is shit then having more is not good
>>
>>51293256
ooooor, figure out an open source dx compatible solution since we all know dx isnt going to die at all unless something a-fucking-mazing comes out in the next decade
>>
>>51295946
>new OS
read Utah2000 and come back.
>>
>>51296674
It's not like Steam's alternatives are much better.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/08/6-pc-gaming-alternatives-to-steam?page=1
Origin and UPlay are pretty dead in comparison to Steam.
Unless you play on open source emulators and use netplay to play old games with friends.
I wouldn't say Steam is "a big steam forward for the Linux platform", but it's not any worse/better than Consoles, which is what valve is trying to do with the steamos and steam machines.
>>
>>51293075
I don't think you understand what a containment board is.
>>
>>51296951
DRM free distribution exists and consoles still are DRM free and can work entirely offline, if you so desire.
Having your games degraded to "subscriptions" that are tied to an online account, secured with proprietary closed source DRM software defeats the whole point of using Linux. Might as well stick with Windows for games.
>>
>>51296780
before the launch ps4 and xbox one doesn't have a lot of AAA games. I think we should wait a little and see if steam OS will bring devs or not.
And a steam machine that cost as much as a console have better graphics
>>
>>51297103
Steam has a "Go Offline..." mode if you're not connected to the internet.
You just have to install them before you do that.
There's no monthly/yearly online subscription that XBL/PSN have.
>>
>>51296780
They won't, which is why steamboxes will be a colossal failure.

Anyone that's too tech illiterate to build their own PC that wants to play video games already gravitates toward consoles, and who can blame them because the AAA console library is significant.

On the other hand, anyone that is somewhat tech savvy in 2015 builds their own PC. If they aren't smart enough to do this but still want to play PC games badly enough, they will shell out the money for a pre-built. With how easy it is to assemble a PC these days, this demographic is getting smaller and smaller.

Steamboxes are a proof of concept product without a market.
>>
>>51297263
it's still DRM that prevents you from installing even most disk based PC games, if you have no internet, Valve servers are offline or Valve someday decides to change their business model and make Steam a paid subscription service.
>>
muh gaming
>>
>>51297559
muh fedoraposting
>>
>>51293049
Gaming was nothing but a waste of time for everybody, wasn't it?
>>
>>51297511
It's actually up to the publisher to decide if Steam acts as DRM or not. A lot of games can be played directly from the Steam folder without Steam even starting.
>>
>>51297103
>consoles still are DRM free
Nonsense, like 99% of games are baked with DRM whether you get them on disc or download them from some official store.
>>
I'm definitely turning my old unused desktop PC into a steam box.
>>
>>51297608
>Valve introduces online activation DRM shit to PC gaming
>Allows other publishers to use it
>B...but it's not Valves fault
Do you seriously want these greedy fucks to be controlling Linux game distribution?
>>
>>51297706
Valve's taking the "it's either us, or nothing." approach with Linux gaming.
No one is going to touch Linux as a platform, so Valve is trying to get people to want to view it as such.
DRM or not, you're still paying money, no matter who is distributing games.
Who would Valve waste their time if they weren't going to turn a profit?
People waste thousands of dollars on games that go on sale for -75% to -99% off and they don't even play them.
>>
>>51297811
I think it needs bigger companies to pushing it like Google, just look at how success android is. I don't see it happening though, since Google only wants to create browserOS for laptop use.
>>
>m-uh secrit l33t OS is being filled with normie gaems fuk you Valve DRM bornet
The good thing about open source software is that anyone can use it as they see fit no matter how much you cry about it.
>>
File: 1426547754914.jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1426547754914.jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
>>51297811
>DRM Linux
>>51297858
>Big Brother Linux
>>
>>51297900
To be fair we already have Big Brother Linux, it is known as Ubuntu Unity.
>>
>>51297900
>"Richard Stallman, head of the Free Software Foundation, is cautiously supportive, although he does not condone the use of non-free games or DRM."
>Implying anyone will make free as in freedom and not free as in free beer games
>Ever
You must be dreaming.
>>
>>51297991
Nobody is complaining about the games. The problem is closed source DRM spyware like Steam.
>>
File: autism.png (51 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
51 KB, 400x400
>>51298048
>DRM spyware like Steam.
>>
>>51298127
>collects usage data
>records what and when you play video games
>scans DNS cache "to catch cheaters"
>not spyware
>>
>>51298152
le botnet xDDDD
>>
>>51298048
No one is going to start a protest for Valve to make Steam open-source software.
It's not like Valve has any reason to.
That's like Microsoft making Windows open-source.
If you really have something to hide, you shouldn't be using the internet in the first place.
>>
>>51298048
You probably use some deprecated garbage anyway so what do you care.
>>
>>51298127
>implying it's anything but
>>
>>51298215
>being freetard subhuman
>>
>>51293096
>operating systemes
>>
>>51298228
I never said it was bad or good. Just that Steam is spyware and DRM software by design and definition.
>being retarded
>>
File: tips tinfoil.jpg (44 KB, 446x413) Image search: [Google]
tips tinfoil.jpg
44 KB, 446x413
>>51298287
>spyware and DRM software by design and definition.
>>
As much as I dislike DRM, the reality is that the alternative to steam's DRM is more DRM. Video game companies have been using DRM since before most people in this thread were born. Having it baked into the steam platform only makes it more convenient for them.
>>
>>51293049
I always considered anything that falls under essential computing, basically the original GNU plan a set of tools that constitutes an operating system. Games fall under entertainment I feel a whole lot better paying for something that is for entertainment. I may however be alone in that sentiment.
>>
>>51293972
Games are proprietary in their own environment.

All separate from the FOSS of the Linux.

>>51293260
POSready
>>
>>51298180
>If you really have something to hide, you shouldn't be using the internet in the first place.
This argument doesn't work anymore. The internet is an essential technology in modern life. Even if you avoid using it in your home as long as you can, it's nearly impossible to get education/employment without using the net, unless you effectively turn Amish.
>>
>>51298299
Tip all you like. He's right nonetheless. I use steam but I'd never be as delusional to think it isn't both of the above.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.