[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are cloud services really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 1444579624739.jpg (63 KB, 566x433) Image search: [Google]
1444579624739.jpg
63 KB, 566x433
i just want to back up some pdfs, audiobooks, Chinese cartoons, and a few movies.

I want to be able to upload from my computer and then access my files from my phone/tablet.

I keep looking into cloud services and see that every single one of them gets shitted on, with people saying how insecure they are, and how there are backdoors, blah blah blah, etc.

I can understand the concerns when it comes to things like google drive, icloud, and Dropbox. People say to absolutely stay away from it.

So i look into it more and find out about other services, such as spideroak. I then see that it's not recommended either because it's not completely open source. So not even the cloud service that Edward fucking Snowden recommends is acceptable.

What am i supposed to use?

>set up your own server
I'm too poor and can't afford the hardware to do so.
>>
Come on, a really cheap box will do if you're just gonna have your own files on it.
>>
>>51288880
What price range is considered cheap when it comes to that?
>>
>>51288921
40 bucks for a raspberry
>>
>>51288954
I've had a look at those before, and they seem pretty nice. However, wont i need to spend a ton of $$ on accessories to get it working correctly?

If I'm not mistaken, I'd also have to spend a lot to also get an SD card, case, and more.

I don't know too much about them though, although the cards i saw recommended were over $80
>>
>>51288852
There is many strong applications for Internet Storage, and web application technology. Internet storage great if you want groups of people to access data the same time.

The problems is that on a security level giving your information is dangerous. Even reliable email services like Protonmail can go apeshit on you. Second you pay annual fees for somebody else to upload your shit.

>What am i supposed to use?
Optical media is still the cheapest local storage format. You save more long term using blu rays, dvd then you do with internet storages.
>>
>>51289132
>Even reliable email services like Protonmail can go apeshit on you.

What do you mean by that?

I've heard of them and i was thinking about signing up, although i kind of decided not to due to the waiting period.

What have they done?

I heard they were held ransom recently, although apparently they managed to get the site back up.
>>
File: kim-dotcom-640x349.jpg (94 KB, 640x349) Image search: [Google]
kim-dotcom-640x349.jpg
94 KB, 640x349
Check mega.co.nz

>kimdotcom

This dudes gangster, you get 50 gigs storage for free and it uses end to end encryption, they also don't decrypt your data where they store it.

I seriously don't know how you can be on this board and not know about fat old kimdotcom. Dude is a rock star gangster. He had a competition giving away a huge amount of money, I'm to lazy to look up, to anyone that could compromise Mega.

Dude got raided by the FBI, str8 internet outlaw. This guy is very entertaining.

Pic related.
>>
>>51289132
>local starage
>cloud

Pick one
>>
>>51289239
mega was hostile taken by the NZ government

fatfuck is no longer in control
>>
Cloud backup - fine
Cloud services running web software that renders over http - fine
Cloud "services" pretending to be able to replace local servers running business apps expecting everyone to remote in - not gonna happen
>>
File: ss (2015-10-11 at 03.08.42).jpg (50 KB, 358x366) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-10-11 at 03.08.42).jpg
50 KB, 358x366
>>51289239

>Before his arrest in New Zealand, he was the world's number one-ranked Modern Warfare 3 player out of more than 15 million online players.[28] On 23 January 2012, he lost the position and dropped to number two.[29]
>>
>>51289324
Saas not only is gonna happen, it has. Adobe CC? I've worked places where network virtualization was commonplace for most environments.
>>
>>51289239
Nice bait.

Kim said over a year ago that mega isn't safe and is now controlled by the Chinese and Hollywood.
>>
>>51289294
nyet its taken over by some chinese dude. I use it because my ISP gets me a free pro account with 1tb storage but I also use local backups on an external hard drive cause I'm not too trusting of it. But I prefer mega to other stuff because the sync client works well on every OS I've used.
>>
Is there some trivially simple reason I'm missing as to why you can't just encrypt your files locally before you upload them to the cloud?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills desu senpai.
>>
>>51289865
I guess it could be difficult, though probably not impossible to decrypt on a phone or tablet.
>>
>>51289865
he wants do do syncing to mobile devices and have shit just werk it seems. Which kinda makes doing proper encryption difficult.

Didn't I hear something about some cloud providers saying you can't store encrypted files that they can't read? Or was that just some tinfoil anon shitposting?
>>
>>51289039
The only thing it doesn't come with is an SD card. That + the actual heard dives toy want to store data on are all you need. The accessories are just memes to get the goyim to spend more shekels.
>>
>>51289972
That's an actual thing, but in England, and its pretty obvious they're not gonna be able to enforce it.
>>
>>51290047
Yeah, I heard about that kekery across the pond, but I thought that some cloud-storage companies enforced that as a ToS requirement regardless of that Bong law.
>>
File: burning-man-art.jpg (124 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
burning-man-art.jpg
124 KB, 1200x800
>not running your own cloud

Sure is pleb in here.
>>
>>51289198
Just look at what happen with ProtonMail in the UK, and the recent DDOS debacle. You can't really trust anybody with your data, other the yourself.

Cloud Services are okay for transferring your documents, email, code, and other shit so that everybody can read it with ease. But for your pirated, and ripped Chinese Cartoons...that's a bad idea.
>>
>>51290508
no, you cant trust some no name stupid company. you put your shit on something like dropbox or google and its not going to be ddosed or lost
>>
>>51290537

this x 1000

Someone at small no name company is 1000x more likely to look through/compromise your data than Google or Dropbox who 100% don't care/have time to look through individual users data.
>>
>>51290556
to be fair i didnt read the whole post. it is stupid to post pirated/illegal content on any of that stuff. in fact no one is impressed by the notion of it in the first place.

get a job
>>
>>51289506
Are they coming for my Hyperspin packs and GTA mods?!?!

Guess I'm screwed.
>>
File: 1436756092034.jpg (23 KB, 385x386) Image search: [Google]
1436756092034.jpg
23 KB, 385x386
>>51290583

>get a job

wat

i don't even use cloud services for anything useful (3rd world internet in Australia prevents any efficient uploading), i'm just anti inferior meme software/services
>>
>>51290508
>Just look at what happen with ProtonMail in the UK, and the recent DDOS debacle. You can't really trust anybody with your data, other the yourself.

What about it? And what has the UK got to do with it? Please don't tell me you are confusing TalkTalk with proton.

Proton got hit by the biggest DDoS attack ever seen in Switzerland. Over 1Tbps. It was state sponsored.

They were held ransom for bitcoins. They weren't the only ones by they way. The attack was launched against dozens of swiss providers. Proton was just one of the biggest name that got hit.

Protonmail can't even read your emails. All that happened was that they were taken offline. Nothing was breached.
>>
File: cloud_computing.jpg (421 KB, 1589x1191) Image search: [Google]
cloud_computing.jpg
421 KB, 1589x1191
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.