[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do universities even bother teaching this shit-tier language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: imgres.png (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.png
4 KB, 225x225
Why do universities even bother teaching this shit-tier language? Its even worse than eating another persons shit with your hands...
>>
It's because that's the establishment on software projects in any businesses which don't have to release any of their work for specific platforms. As far as that widely-used instrument of businesses is convoluted with arbitrary principles and not much "standardized" (if something documented in over 9,000 pages counts as that), and the common level of minimum-goal universities find value in courses which are necessary for jobs in the establishment of business rather than foundations of better businesses which don't follow something of the establishment.
>>
>>51287244
Because it's a language that pays
>>
>>51287244
Because it is the single most important programming language in use today. Any decent university should teach Java.

>Its even worse than eating another persons shit with your hands...
No it's not. I don't know what has made you feel like that but my experience with java has been quite pleasant.
>>
>>51287244
>lol java is shit!!!

Fucking epic meme my man.
>>
>>51287864 here, both >>OP and I will disagree with shills like >>51287956 claiming it's good for anything other than the stale demands of current businesses.
>>
>>51287991
>anyone who likes what I don't like is a shill
go away, child
>>
it has the best IDE though

IntelliJ > Any IDE
>>
File: dennis.jpg (104 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
dennis.jpg
104 KB, 1280x694
>Why do universities even bother teaching this shit-tier language?
Because it is the most widely used language in the business world, and universities want statistics that demonstrate their graduates can actually get jobs and hopefully earn above average. Businesses use Java because the language is mature, reliable, well documented, and actively supported by one of the largest software vendors in the world, Oracle. Java has some of the most refined, highly engineered, professionally supported libraries and frameworks.

Most of my work is done in Java. I know the language pretty well by now, including all of the flaws. Java sucks at reflection; don't even bother. Java did not have method references until Java 8. Or lambdas. Because these features were introduced late, most people don't use them, or even know they exist. Switch statements were gimped until Java 7. Java does not have operator overloading. Wiring large applications together in Java is a nightmare without a dependency injection framework. Annotations suck -- period. Because Java is strongly typed, simple tasks often require wrappers or collections. If you try to change a list inside a for-each loop, you will be hit with a ConcurrentModificationException, even if your application is single threaded, and not even the guy who made the decision knows why.

Despite all of this, Java is pretty good. If you want to see a clusterfuck of a language, look at JavaScript, which is bullshit all the way down to the name.
>>
> enterprise software uses it
> good language for retards who want to learn oop but are too incompetent to deal with memory cleanup
>>
>>51288730
c++ is pure torture though
are there people who actually enjoy using that cluster fuck of a language
>>
>>51287244
atleast it's not python...
seriously, all the academic masturbation for python is ridiculous....
>>
>>51288038
Confirmed. IntelliJ - 10/10.

>>51288591
Agreed on all points. I'd also like to add a second FUCK JAVASCRIPT.
>>
>>51287244
looks like someone can't handle portable code amirite
>>
>>51287244
Best IDE's
No memory management garbage that beginners don't need to worry about.
Best descriptive error messages
Best job prospect
Least language oddities
Very verbose
Best debugger

I don't like Java for it's speed, coddling, verbosity, and hand holding, but it's excellent for someone beginning programming and should be learning the concepts of programming rather than the idiosyncrasies of a particular language
>>
>>51287244
Because it just werks... EVERYWHERE
>>
>>51287244
because it's plattform independent and has a standardised well documentated api.

it's only used in intro classes anyway, and as much as i hate java, it's ok for that purpose
>>
>>51288591
"Java sucks at reflection"?? Reflection works very well in Java, you can do a ton with it.
>>
>>51287244
Fast, effective, well supported (libraries for everything), wonderful to work with in IntelliJ.
Whats the problem?
>>
>>51287864
So basically
>its bad because its popular!
>>
>>51292521

welcome to /g/
>>
Corporate america's meme language of choice

But you would be better off working in a sewage processing plant than writing proprietary bloatware in java

>>51292495
You need to learn a whole new program for a programming language to be usable?

Reminds me of lisp users trying to sell emacs.
>>
>>51292548
>You need to learn a whole new program for a programming language to be usable?
>learning an IDE
>>
>>51292548
No, you can use Eclipse quite easily as well.
It's an IDE, the basic usage should come naturally to you, the more powerful capabilities (especially git compatibility) are the icing on the cake.
>>
>>51292588
Java is shit
Eclipse is shit

You're just adding more shit. At least use IntelliJ
>>
>>51287991
>>51287244
There are many reasons why Java is not exactly the best language around, but none of them stop Java from being a very good language.

Almost everyone who hates Java hates it because he is a retard and he's forced to program, which causes a lot of discomfort to him, since he's a retard.
>>
>>51292954
I only hate it because I'm used to superior languages. Like Haskell.
>>
>>51292977
what have you written
>>
>>51292979
Fizzbuzz.
>>
>>51292985
Why do you even reply?
>>
>>51292987
Why are you so rude?
>>
>>51293019
Because I think that people who keep posting online about how Java is bad, even though they are not in position to judge any language, deserve to be rude to.
>>
>>51293027
But Java is objectively bad
>>
the only people who think java is bad are neet neckbeards who have no idea what is going on the real world
>>
>>51288591
>javascript is shit
This meme is just as stupid as
>java is shit
and it's nothing more than a /g/ meme.
>>
Ubiquity. Why not teach something that's heavily used? You neckbeards might not approve of it, but that will never change the fact it's one of the most used languages.
>>
>>51287244
Why is Java popular? Why are chiclet keyboards widespread? Why has systemd been adopted in most major distros? Because we live in an age where shit floats to the surface rather than sinking to the bottom.
>>
>>51288591
>lambda
>>
Java runs on basically everything... Slow it down...
>>
>>51295862
Do you enjoy being a contrarian hipster faggot?
>>
>>51288591
The biggest problem with java is the concept of NULL. The fact that any function can return null and any variable can be null at any time is mind-bogglingly retarded. Any language that claims "enterprise level" stability should not have null. Java combines the inflexibility of statically typed languages with the speed and safety of dynamically typed languages.
>>
Why is the usefulness of java even debated? People play up the benefits of haskell or lisp but when the only objective is to make boring as fuck enterprise software to get rich, what use is recursions and monads going to give you only want to do boring shit?
>>
The people claiming "best IDE, best debugger, etc." should really try to write/debug/profile some C# code in visual studio.
>>
>>51295914
Haskell's Maybe monad would actually solve the problem proposed by >>51295911 very well.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.