[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
systemd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: systemd.png (488 KB, 1338x777) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
488 KB, 1338x777
What is wrong with systemd
>>
>>51287115
nothing
>>
Besides security concerns?

Nothing pretty much.
There will of course be autists moaning about how it doesn't follow muh memix way and shit but forget about it.
>>
Literally nothing.
Autists generally don't like it when things change.
>>
>>51287115
threadmakers like you
>>
>>51287163
>Besides security concerns?
Proof of any legitimate security problems or just the usual fearmongering?
>>
>>51287115
NSA botnet.
>>
>>51287188
nigga you just got roasted
>>
I imagine the NSA has their dick deep inside it, but that's inevitable.
>>
>>51287216
systemD is
>a big project
>a feature creep
>it handles a lot of critical functionalities
Such software attracts vulnerabilities like shit attracts the flies.

Security concerns will always be there.
>>
>>51287115
http://ewontfix.com/14/
http://ewontfix.com/15/

>turning off VPN to post in a shill thread
welp, guess you guys got me good
>>
There is nothing wrong with it. I'm literally using it right now. While it has a pretty steep learning curve, and is very expansvie (that's the point) it offers in a way a much simpler solution to many disjointed problems. As much as I love the modularity of linux, there is a serious problem when you have 3 or 4 different processess or config files to start 1 process.

The system units is a masterful design. I like the idea that all run levels are files made up of their needed units. To me, I've yet to see any negative, aside from the fact that again, the size of it, causes one to have to really dig down and really read through the docs to 'grok' it. That being said, I'm having a blast with it, using it on the latest Debian
>>
>>51287188
Correct and checked.
>>
Running a bloated program that controls 60+ sub-processes in PID 1 is what's wrong.

It's a joke, much like the Linux kernel.
>>
journald a shit
networkd a shit
kdbus a shit
>>
>>51287115
messy and complex code is a perfect place for bugs. And for backdoors.
you faggot webdevs always like to whine so much about "code readability", - well, the previous code was pretty fucking readable, if you ask me. Now we got systemd, obscure as fuck, which pretends to be everything in your system at the cost of knowing nothing about how exactly it operates.
But it boots faster now! yay!
I use linux since I'm 18, and, except a couple of times, - never got a single issue with the whole GNU/linux ecosystem which wasn't tied to my stupidity or to the poetteringware.
>polkit written with ass, error messages not meaningful at all
>tries in some way to manage sessions by using absurd mechanisms instead of the old time-proven ACL
>it's like, at a certain point of time, someone went "fuck it, ill try to rewrite badly some solution that already exist"
>pulseaudio, while having the noble intent to separate output per software made a messy and buggy as fuck project
>which has no idea on how to retain its state correctly.
>systemd... don't even let me start about it.
>>
>>51288013
>>51287294
If you have a problem with it, change it, start contributing to the project.
>>
>>51288052
Actually, when I'm gonna have some time, I shall contribute to that one guy that forked systemD and started to unfuck it by separating it in the modules. Like, making a separate init system, a daemon management system, etc. I'm just a little busy now completing my own fucking education.
>>
>>51288052
That's what uselessd was for. Shame the project died though.
>>
>>51288125
>>51288110
Or you could fix the problems instead of forking to some other thing that will never end up in production.
>>
Systemd is the most important advancement for Linux for the past 10 years
>>
>>51288052
It's broken by design, so no. I'll just be over here using runit like a non-retarded person instead.
>>
>>51288197
>fix the problems
Yeah, I'll put it in the trash where it belongs. Problems solved.
>>
>>51288224
Then why does every distro that matters use it?
>>
>>51288254
Because they're making a mistake or happen to be called Redhat. Appeal to popularity makes for a very poor argument.
>>
>>51287115
> not being written in Rust
> into the trash...
>>
>>51288197
you do not really understand why systemD is hated, don't you?
It's design is really, really bad. It's, like, a giant bad practice. And, since a good solution is the opposite of the direction of systemD development, my contributions would never be accepted. Hence the forking.
>>
one upon a time, linux got a new thing
it became a gay meme
autists are vocal about nothing
and I fucking suck at limericks
>>
>>51287140
>nothing

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
>>51288295
I bet you don't believe in global warming.
>>
>>51288219
Thanks for the contribution to Linux's demise, Lennart.
>>
>>51289748
If it weren't for systemd, every distro would be stuck on the old init system. Notice how no one adopted any of the newer init systems that already existed. Systemd is not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than what we used before.
>>
>>51289864
Just like how Pulseaudio deprecated ALSA and OSS, right? Oh wait, distros are still using those too. And there are 20+ distros that don't ship with systemd and many that outright ban it from their repos.
>>
>>51290133
See
>>51288254
>>
>>51290155
See
>>51288295
>>
>>51290391
See
>>51289566
>>
suck my cock faggots
>>
>>51290155
>>51290391
>>51290686
see
>>51290742
>>
Lead systemd dev didn't know what RAID or checksums were

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-February/028514.html
>>
>>51289286
Gotta love how nobody responded to the post providing a link to a whole heap or succint arguments against systemd. All the proponents say is "many distros have adopted it therefore it must be good, and it boots faster, you luddites, hurr" and not much besides that.
>>
>>51289864
How about addressing every argument against it which can be found at the link >>51289286 posted, rather than just regurgitating empty blanket statements? Besides, sysvinit has been functional for decades, there is no reason it suddenly wouldn't be.
>>
systemd is the final nail in linux's coffin.
>>
>>51292629
>http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-February/028514.html
>btrfs checksumming cannot fix things for you either if you lose non-trivial amounts of data
how is this not true? because without raid, it totally is.

even if it is false, a random instance in which lennart misreads an email is pretty fucking bad evidence against systemd. like, if that's all you can find, i'm sorry for you.

>>51292850
because 99% of the tons of arguments there are (a) outdated (b) non sequitur or (c) conspiratard shit

the fact itself that there is no succinct list of alleged problems with systemd isn't evidence of systemd's vast shittiness. rather, it's evidence that the anti-systemd crowd are cherrypicking autists who can't find legitimate arguments.

handing me an encyclopedia of blog posts by no-name randos is basically just patting yourself on the back. you're asking the equivalent of linking someone to foxnews.com/opinion and saying, "refute conservatism." it's a completely unreasonable request, and it will convince no one.
>>
>>51293194
>because 99% of the tons of arguments there are (a) outdated (b) non sequitur or (c) conspiratard shit
Another empty blanket statement right there.

Please address and refute explicitly each and every one of them. Protip: you can't, that's why you keep making these weasel statements while persistently dodging the actual issues involved.
>>
>>51293194
>encyclopedia of blog posts by no-name randos

Nice ad hominem. It's about the issues being pointed out, not who points them out or whether they're renowned or not.
>>
>Turning Loonix into RedhatBSD
Lenny Pottery did nothing wrong.
>>
>>51293243
>Please address and refute explicitly each and every one of them.
this is laughable. i'm not going to spend hours reading a bunch of your buddies' blog posts and refute every point. i glanced at some of them a while ago and summarized my views. i'm not going to give you a play-by-play, dude.

you have the burden of proof here, not me. that's what i've been trying to tell you. most popular distros use (or will use) systemd now, remember?

>>51293272
>It's about the issues being pointed out, not who points them out or whether they're renowned or not.
yes, you've correctly defined ad hominem, but we're not talking about fact-based arguments here -- we're talking about opinion blog posts making normative points.

for instance, one of them is entitled "Why I dislike systemd." i don't give a fuck about your feelings, steven mcdonald. why should i?
>>
>>51287115

TIL Linux Mint doesn't have systemd.
>>
>>51287115
Their logo looks like it's for a cleaning product.
>>
>>51293398
>most popular distros use (or will use) systemd now, remember?
So chiclet keyboards are good too just because they have become widespread? McDonald's food is good and healthy because the masses routinely eat there? Nice try.

>one of them is entitled "Why I dislike systemd." i don't give a fuck about your feelings
If the article is titled that way, there's probably going to be some argumentation in its content. But a "hurr guess what, didn't read lel" attitude admittedly won't let you find out.

The conversation is pointless thought, it's pretty obvious that all systemd-proponents do is dodging entirely and/or trying to deflecting valid argumentation against it with ad hominems, blanket statements, "didn't read because", while actually not admitting to nor addressing any of its very many downsides and deficiencies.
>>
>>51293506
>thought
*tough
>>
>>51292830
Nobody responded to >>51287319 either, which was two links giving purely technical reasons why systemd is broken and doesn't even do its own job properly.
>>
>>51287238
this every single day
>>
File: systemd.png (521 KB, 700x1160) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
521 KB, 700x1160
itt:
>>
File: 12618380251.jpg (53 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
12618380251.jpg
53 KB, 500x498
>>51287115
>tfw all non-systemd distros are either bloated or timesinks
>>
Linux is shit . Use osx or Windows.
>>
>>51287115

Binary logging. System goes boom, no easy to read text files on HDD to find issues, just a dead system.

Binary logging is the biggest issue I have, even more than its feature creep
>>
>>51295222
But these issues are nonexistent say the systemd fainbois, you're just imagining problems where there are none and are a hopeless luddite. Amirite Poetterkuck fanbois?
>>
>>51293907
Because they are just evading any actual discussion, as >>51293506 said. Just bogus derogatory/belittling statements, name-calling ("luddite", "autist", "tinfoil"), citing the fact that systemd lobbyists managed to weasel its way into most major distros as supposed "proof" of its supposed "superior qualities", etc.
>>
>>51293476
I guess it's a parody/troll logo someone made (systemd is spelled all-lowercase anyway).
>>
File: bottle_1.png (165 KB, 400x576) Image search: [Google]
bottle_1.png
165 KB, 400x576
>>51295596
>>51293476
It's for SunnyD, a citrus flavored beverage.
>>
>>51287115
https://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
>>51288197
Fuck you. You're the cancer of open source. You release a broken system and expect others to fix it for you when they should flush it (and you) like the turd it is.
>>
>>51293194
>the fact itself that there is no succinct list of alleged problems with systemd isn't evidence of systemd's vast shittiness. rather, it's evidence that the anti-systemd crowd are cherrypicking autists who can't find legitimate arguments.
what's wrong with communism? well, where do I start?

if systemd were pilling up bodies all across the tundra it might be a lot easier to argue against, but requiring an argument against it that fits into a tweet is retarded. It's a complex system, and requires complex discussion. That's why there are so many retards who are like "muh boot timez" and "systemd slash lennarx" people around who are just trying to shut people up. They're fucking retards, and you're one of them.
>>
>>51293331
More like OSX/Linux.
>>
I can't believe people still trust Poettering after Pulseaudio. They had to kick him out and then rewrite it like 3 times to make that piece of shit barely work. systemd is turning out to be a huge and horrible monster and you don't want to listen.
>>
>>51287115
There is literally nothing is wrong with being SystemD
>>
>>51287294
So you're saying we should scrap every kernel, display manager or pretty much every backbone of every operating system ?
>>
>>51289286
>god does exist

http://truthaboutbible.org/about/godisgreat.html
>>
>>51297876
see
>>51298914

also, there's nothing wrong with communism. maybe you're confusing it with authoritarianism?
>>
>>51287115
Slow boot times compared to init.d
>>
>>51299321
What does `systemd-analyze blame' say?
>>
>>51298952
cool 404

>also, there's nothing wrong with communism. maybe you're confusing it with authoritarianism?
>maybe a discussion like this doesn't fit into tweets
You must be one of the retards.
>>
>>51299551
you didn't do well in debate club, did you?
>>
>>51299321
can it drift?
>>
>>51299572
http://truthaboutanon#51299572.com/he'saretard.html

There aren't many succinct arguments against communism because it's a complicated issue. That's why a bunch of retards on any side of the discussion can mostly only copypasta arguments. This is similar to the debate about systemd. It's complicated and deals with an esoteric topic that few have any real understanding of.

I'm sure you did well in your special ed debate club. Congrats, buddy!

>there's nothing wrong with communism. maybe you're confusing it with authoritarianism?

I mean I guess the fact that communism can only and has only existed because of authoritarianism means I only have a problem with authoritarianism (if you're a fucking retard)
>>
>>51299679
d-did you say drift, dagumi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU
>>
File: systeMD.png (724 KB, 709x752) Image search: [Google]
systeMD.png
724 KB, 709x752
Lennart will do a checkup on your computer and have it running better than ever!
>>
File: i drive le car.jpg (23 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
i drive le car.jpg
23 KB, 480x270
>>51299769
>yes i wanna know, yes i wanna see
>[eurobeat intensifies]
>>
Parallel boot is a placebo. Also, how often do you reboot really? lol.
>>
File: cosbyguffaw.jpg (90 KB, 240x256) Image search: [Google]
cosbyguffaw.jpg
90 KB, 240x256
>>51300446
>Parallel boot is a placebo
>lol
lol
>>
>>51292850
Sysvinit is functional, that's the not the problem. The problem is about writing a complete set of init scripts that bring up everything properly, restart crashed services and also logs the activities. It also has to do this in a way that is portable to any Linux system. These are the concerns of systemd-init.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.