[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Text Editor War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15
File: emacsvim.jpg (86 KB, 569x400) Image search: [Google]
emacsvim.jpg
86 KB, 569x400
What are ya hackin' with, /g/?
>>
notepad
>>
File: into_the_trash_it_goes.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
into_the_trash_it_goes.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>51284003
>>
>>51284003
Nigga Emacs and Vim Fucked
SPACEMACS was born
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lg8nglsVXV
>>
>>51284003
vim for me, but what about the rest of /g/?

https://strawpoll.me/5974728
>>
Neither because I am not autistic
>>
I wanted to try them but those two (emacs / vim) are just weird to me for few reasons.
They are supposed to be editors and they dont have sidebar for file browsing by default and its 2015. Why does that have to be plugin? I mean jesus , also i feel with that coloring is like high contrast like on windows 20 years ago .
Sublime Text has some kind of plain coloring thats gentle on eyes.
>>
/g/ recently convinced me to switch to neovim. So far, not disappointed. The terminal buffer is pretty cool.
>>
/g/ became too normie for these great editors?

what a shame...
>>
>>51285687
What would you need a sidebar for? Scrolling? If you're not using a mouse the bar is useless
>>
File: acme and sam.png (25 KB, 647x292) Image search: [Google]
acme and sam.png
25 KB, 647x292
>being a vimwit.
>using Efags
>>
>>51286583
>What would you need a sidebar for? Scrolling? If you're not using a mouse the bar is useless
Not the guy you're replying to, but Visual perspective is nice. I know vim gives your percentages of depth within a document, but its still nice to see that visually rather than just being told it.
>>
Vim
>>
>>51287162
You can easily get this on emacs, and vim too probably
>>
ed
>>
nano
>>
I use neovim but I have been eying up spacemacs. What does /g/ think should I grow up and move to emacs?
>>
Emacs is the only option. Vim is only for wannabes.
>>
>>51287144
Thanks for the tips, Uriel.
>>
>>51285184
>SPACEMACS
It's bloated as shit. I don't need all that extra shit. There are saner default configs for emacs too.
>>
>>51284003
gvim
>>
Nano for light stuff, atom for heavy
>>
>>51285721
Someone in a meetup I go to convinced me to try out neovim, and it's pretty awesome so far. Can port over all my configs and not feel any difference besides having to turn the mouse back off. (My track pad is right where my palm wants to be when I'm typing.)
>>
i use acmeme

shame that no one's hacked it yet to use an external configuration file, because ricing it is a pain right now, it hurts my fucking eyes but it's still wonderful
>>
there's only one option
and that is edit from ms-dos
>>
>>51290033
Borland Turbo C editor master race.
>>
Nano in the term. Leafpad in the gui. Metapad when in Windows.
>>
vim is the way

>>51287277
almost definitely, tabbed editing is at least in by default and i know there's a file browser as well
>>
Nano in cli, scite in gui
>>
File: B62xj9FCUAA3YoC.png (598 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
B62xj9FCUAA3YoC.png
598 KB, 1024x1024
>>51284003
All alone on Atom over here.
>>
File: 1439368033296.jpg (70 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
1439368033296.jpg
70 KB, 846x846
>>51290480
I will join you atomic brother..
These heathens need to leave
>>
>>51287378
Fucking this
>>
>>51290480
When they let me chose my install directory I might consider it.
>>
File: atom-chat.gif (205 KB, 800x494) Image search: [Google]
atom-chat.gif
205 KB, 800x494
>>51291786
https://github.com/JohnMurga/atom-portable/releases

Go crazy.
>>
>>51291940
That's not the same thing, you sound as obnoxious as the dev. If you are the dev, you can kindly get fucked. If not, ignore me.
>>
>>51284003
>What are ya hackin' with
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>51289836
Acme-sac (inferno's acme, AKA "rob pike was wrong." -the rest of bell labs) has external themes and doesn't refuse to have non-traditional keybinds for no real reason.

It also has a hack to support file names with spaces, yet another thing pike got nitpicky about

>it's not...elegant...enough....eeuuuuurgh
>human must adapt to computer
>not other way around
>>
>>51285687
Emacs comes with Speedbar by default which is a sidebar file browser. It also comes with a plethora of colour schemes.
>>
>>51285721
How do you get terminal nvim to work on windows? Running the neovim.exe and not the qt exe just results in printing to stdout "ignoring console input, disabled at compile" or something like that.
>>
notepad++
>>
Anyone that considers for even one second to use nano should be taken out and shot on the spot.
>>
File: emacs.png (37 KB, 1364x752) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
37 KB, 1364x752
>>51285721
>The terminal buffer is pretty cool
Welcome to Emacs ten years ago. Enjoy your stay. Another ten years from now you'll be able to re-configure your editor without restarting it, isn't that nice?

>>51287162
>but its still nice to see that visually rather than just being told it.
Pic related, bottom right corner.
>>
>>51292972
Turbo buttmad eclipse user detected
>>
File: let_me_explain.jpg (57 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
let_me_explain.jpg
57 KB, 550x413
>>51292972
Awwww, someone likes something you don't like. Well, tough shit. Welcome to the internet, and to 4chan. Enjoy your autist butthurt. Expect more of the same.
>>
emacs + evil, as always
>>
Daily reminder normies run this board, fuck off neckkekbeards, you aren't needed anymore.
>>
So I finally got round to taking n/vim a little further than simple editing and tried modding my rc file

Also tried YCM, which I think is overkill because it takes like 150mb and lags like a fucker when I've only got a smallish Python file open, don't want to think how slow it would be with a 50k source file.

My crappy init.vm (neovim new rc style) if anyone cares

"not compat with vi
set nocompatible

"line numbering

set number

"highlighting

syntax enable

set encoding=utf-8

set showcmd

filetype plugin indent on

" search options
set hlsearch
set incsearch
set ignorecase
set smartcase

" Allows you to have multiple buffers open
set hidden

" Make backspace behave like other editors
" set backspace=indent,eol,start

" Automatically indent on new lines
set autoindent

" Copy the indentation of the previous line if auto indent doesn't know what to do
set copyindent

" Highlight matching braces/tags
set showmatch

" More undos
set undolevels=2000

" Vim can set the title of the terminal window
set title

" Use a visual indicator instead of a beep
set visualbell

" Tell vim that your terminal supports 256 colors
set t_Co=256

" Toggle paste mode with F2
set pastetoggle=<F2>

" Use ; instead of : to enter commands, saves a lot of keystrokes in the long run
nnoremap ; :
""

"colorscheme koehler
color koehler
"
"vim-plug

"call plug#begin('~/.vim/plugged')

call plug#begin()

" Make sure you use single quotes
Plug 'Valloric/YouCompleteMe', { 'do': './install.py' }

call plug#end()

>>
>>51290033
That was actually a good fucking editor for its time (the time when no one knew about unix or linux and the only distro was redhat and it didn't work right)
>>
Copying exactly from lain, shame OP.
>>
>>51294164
Don't start shit faggot

we're all from lain, asstard
>>
File: 1298686891140.jpg (201 KB, 406x480) Image search: [Google]
1298686891140.jpg
201 KB, 406x480
>>51294282
>being this rustled
>>
File: vimrc.png (440 KB, 956x2756) Image search: [Google]
vimrc.png
440 KB, 956x2756
>>51293086
At least do some research when you're trying to shit-talk software. Reconfiguring without restarting the editor is possible by doing
:source %
or
:@"

>>51294017
The lag might be neovim-only, I don't remember ycm getting slow when using vim on an intel atom proc a few years ago.
I stopped using YCM a few months ago though, the default autocompletion is quite good on its own.

Vimrc is my conf, it's too big to fit in a single post.
>>
>>51294860
>neovim-only
I tried it on vim first, which is why I switched to neovim, because I heard it had less lag, it was even worse on vim
On a i5 520m with 8gb ram
>>
>>51294860
>default autocompletion
also what? didn't know there was such a thing, I haven't really delved into vim too much so there's tonnes I'm probably overlooking
>>
>>51290480
Bloated shite Sublime Text 2 Master Race
>>
>>51294926
If you were to type "Autocompletion auto" and then do <CTRL+n>, vim will try to autocomplete the word by itself.
I remapped it to tab, but I can't how I did it in my conf file, sorry.
If you like autocompletion and the likes you should try to look into snipmate, a friend of mine uses it and loves it.
>>
>>51295008
holy shit that's cool as fuck
>>
>>51294860
>that's one hell of a vimrc.
i just use this
<code>
runtime! archlinux.vim
set shiftwidth=4
set softtabstop=4
set number
set ruler
set mouse=a
syntax on
filetype indent plugin on
</code>
>>
>>51295187
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of cruft accumulated over the years that I don't need anymore, but I'm too lazy to clean it. There are also a few things, like automatically compiling my latex files and updating my PDF viewer or automatically filling my new latex documents that I should probably move to a plugin or something, but again - I'm too lazy.
I also try to have a consistent behavior between the way I control Vim and the way I control other software (i3, iceweasel, icedove...) so here's my third and last reason for having such a huge vimrc.
>>
>>51295008
>autocomplete
If you need to press a key to do it, it's called "completion" and not "autocompletion".
>>
>>51295764
>Implying you don't need to press tab or another key in whatever editor you're using to cycle through the alternatives
Autocompletion as you define it doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1437742864625.jpg (207 KB, 724x864) Image search: [Google]
1437742864625.jpg
207 KB, 724x864
>>51287317
I'm used to it now. Once you know the advanced commands, it's gorgeous.
(my fav' is the `!' who run your program at the same time)
>>
>>51295865
Then why do you use the term?
>>
>>51295994
Because I do not use your definition.
>>
>>51295994
brah theres autocomlpop.
>>
>>51295965
you should try sam

it's ed with a GUI and multifile editing
>>
Wating to get into Emacs, but understand nothing about Lisp or coding. Is the learning curve high?
>>
>>51296345
It is beautiful.
I love it.
Anon: keep up the good work. Screw these uninspirational acmeists with their tiled editor.
>>
>>51296374
It's honestly not so bad in terms of difficulty, but you might spend a lot of time customizing it depending on autism level. I'm a few months in and I'm not done customizing (I wouldn't call myself a hardcore ricer either).

Basic customization is just setting variables with
 (setq <variable> <value>)
, which takes you pretty far for a beginner that can't program. There are plenty of tutorials for it and Emacs Lisp in general, and you can find out the documentation/source of any function/variable with Ctrl-h v or Ctrl-h f.
>>
>>51296374
No. Do the tutorial and you will learn the essential key commands, but you can still do everything with the arrow keys and a mouse just like notepad or gedit or something. Emacs grows with you, so you will just pick up new skills the more you use it.

However, one sort of frustrating thing you'll want to deal with if you start programming is that emacs automatically indents your code according to a set style; the default for C-style languages follows the GNU style guidelines, which are really idiosyncratic. You'll want to dig change the style from "gnu" to "k&r" or something, as well as change the indentation width. You can find those settings in the customization menu, or you can just write the settings in your .emacsrc

good page on this subject:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IndentingC
>>
File: 1445325835238.jpg (319 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
1445325835238.jpg
319 KB, 1600x1064
>>51286561

Too true. The moment when no one fights over emacs and vim is the beginning of the end
>>
>>51292251
I'd use SAC, but I like plan 9 from user space and as I understand it, it's not as easy to fuck around in?

I do know that I can't bear the Windows version at all. If I must use it on Windows, I have to tunnel X11 through SSH.
>>
LibreOffice Writer.
>>
>>51284003
Why would you use either? Sublime or Brackets is the new real question?

INB4 Atom, that load time.
>>
>>51297330
What I mean basically is that plan9port integrates itself into the current system far better than SAC.
>>
>>51296483
wow really sounds like freedom, can't even type the way you want too.

>Do the tutorial and you will learn the essential key commands

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. You know you have failed when you need to have a fucking tutorial for a text editor.
>>
File: 1446807573276.jpg (706 KB, 1210x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446807573276.jpg
706 KB, 1210x1000
Whats /g/ opinion on visual code?

Not edgy enough?
>>
>>51297477
You can change literally any keybind shitposter-kun.
>>
>>51297534
>unironically using Botnet software
>>
>>51297534
Can someone tell me exactly what this thing IS?
Like, I know it's not a bomb and it's probably more than a clock because it's got way too much just to be a clock.

Is that an arduino cluster? If so, what for? (Does it just drive that LCD screen? :/)
>>
People say, "Oh this editor is so powerful, I can type Arse-bandit 10 times by typing 10Arse-bandit i and then hitting the escape button!"

When do you ever need something like this? I know I certainly don't ever. It's masochistic and juvenile to use something like Vim or Emacs.
>>
>>51298411
The motivation for Emacs isn't the speed, but how much you can customize it. Rather than getting used to the editor, you can make the editor get used to you, for the most part.
>>
File: real_programmers.png (83 KB, 740x406) Image search: [Google]
real_programmers.png
83 KB, 740x406
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.