[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or is corporate e-mail becoming less professional?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: EmailEtiquette.jpg (59 KB, 597x538) Image search: [Google]
EmailEtiquette.jpg
59 KB, 597x538
Is it just me, or is corporate e-mail becoming less professional?

In the past few years, poor grammar and spelling seem to be getting more common in my corporate inbox.

Do you think it's because more people are communicating with mobile devices? Are people getting dumber? Is proper etiquette in business communication being deprecated by hasty, poorly written notes?

>wow, im glad your okay! (from finance director)
>hey ... have u made a report for today yet ??? i need services changed for at to when u get chance ... (from service tech)
>anon, please submit you're timesheet by friday no later because of holiday (from manager)
>Anon, good work on presentation today!! CEO is very pleased and wants u to present to the board ... good luck! (from director of IT)
>Anon, thanks for letting us no what the problem is of course we will investigate the issue we have not been able to replicate the problem so we will update when get chance. (from head of service for a large corporate partner)
>>
>>51283565
I thought something similar the other day. It hit me when a mail from China was written in better english than a mail from a customer in the US.
I believe we are revisiting the habbedig of T9. Only this time it's not on a 140 character SMS on our Nokia, but on e-mail.
RIP, corporate etiquette.

Another cause could be that more people have less time to properly respond to each and every mail they receive and will just use abbreviations and stupid grammar to do it quickly.
>>
>>51283674
Phone keyboards have spell checkers and suggestions and expand abbreviations, even OS X has autocorrector on by default, so typing like that doesn't really save any time.
Time is no excuse for that kind of poor writing.
>>
>>51283565
Enjoy that vbscript macro.
>>
Email in the professional world has turned into more of an instant communication system. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you're not an autist and can differentiate between informal and formal communication.
>>
>>51283565
It's become less formal as companies want customers to feel like they care about them as people. There's been a big shift away from the soulless monolithic corporation of the past. For internal company communication, it's basically treated like instant messaging so no one really gives a shit. They're more concerned with people at least reading and following through with instructions rather than how well it looks to outsiders.
>>
>>51283565
>resume.docx
>43Mb
kek'd harder than I should have.
>>
>>51283565
turns out computer-illiterates are also illiterate in general

who knew

can't excuse the head of IT though, that's just embarassing
>>
>>51283565
corporations are discovering the internet and memes now
>>
>>51284007
Probably contains multiple large graphics and animated gifs.
>>
>>51283565
The guy played a trick upon you, sir. I think [email protected] is sufficient evidence coupled with the body of the email.
>>
>>51283565
It's a Goatsi, sir. Please disregard.
>>
>Are people getting dumber?
current "work" doesn't exist
there isn't a job for everyone
most employed people in offices should not have jobs
they have jobs because they kiss ass
ass kissers are not smart people
everyone only exists in offices because someone is kissing ass
everyone is not smart

i am also not smart, and my format of writing this post looks horrible
you should be thankful that i am spelling things correctly though
>>
File: 1430790722995.jpg (204 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1430790722995.jpg
204 KB, 900x1200
>>51283565
http://time.com/3844483/millennials-secrets/

Millennials overwhelmingly don't know how to use email, Excel, Word or basically anything that isn't an app on a cell phone. Many of them can't even parse a Google search properly. Computer literacy is actually decreasing in this generation.
>>
>>51283565
Does it matter?
>Send email to professor sans name, capitals, "yours sincerely" and all that bullshit
>Professor spergs "I am your superior, address me properly"
>Fuck this nigger I'm the one paying £9,000 a year to listen to his bullshit everyday
Only people with a superiority complex care about this shit.
>>
I don't even look at an attached resume unless it's a PDF.
>>
>>51288023

Hows the McDonalds you handle applications for?

I don't even look at an attached resume unless it's a .tex.tar.xz
>>
>>51288014
>Does it matter?
I guess it really doesn't. I'm not going to tell people to proof-read their e-mails. It just seems strange.

I don't expect people to send me properly formatted business letters every time they send me an e-mail, but acceptable grammar and spelling would be nice. I don't mind a typo here or an auto-correct there, but damn, these people are professionals. They should know how to spell.

>>51288103
I'm not the anon you're mocking, but the security policy at my job doesn't allow opening attachments unless they're PDF.
>>
>>51288103
Whe the fuck would it be a tar if it's a tex?
>>
>>51288266
permissions
>>
>>51287950
>can't even parse a Google search properly
Nowadays, if you try to search on Google using terms and shortcuts that were efficient a few years ago, Google thinks you're a fucking bot and forces you to solve a captcha.

Google is now pandering to these dumbfucks by having their searches cater to "natural" speech.
>>
>>51283565

>Mobile devices.

This seems to be a key factor.

When people send me emails from their computers (non-default fonts and signatures), they're typically well-typed and professional.

But when I get an email that says..

>Sent using my Verizon 4G LTE Device
>Sent using my iPhone

Then it has the potential to be retarded.
>>
>>51288405

>A business catering to a majority of people rather than an autistic minority.

Yes, people who want to make money tend to do this. I hope you've enjoyed this small glimpse into the real world from your basement window.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.