[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Packages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: LPIC-101-4.png (153 KB, 681x380) Image search: [Google]
LPIC-101-4.png
153 KB, 681x380
This is something that has always bugged me about linux. Where on windows, if I need a program but don't have access to internet, I can go somewhere with a usb drive and download an .exe. I can even do it from my phone. Linux on the other hand mostly uses package managers that rely on internet connectivity. Don't get me wrong, I like them and like the idea of a central repository. True, there is .deb and .rpm, but I've rarely had it where I didn't get some dependency complaint. So, whats linux's solution to this?
>>
The page you download packages it tells you the dependency
>>
>21st Century
>Not having an internet connection

I'd say you posted in the wrong place desu senpai. Windows related posts: >>>/v/
>>
>>51279552
Yes, but having to hunt down depends and figure out where to put them is a little unweildy. I'm sure for some programs, including the depends would make the package pretty large.
>>
it bugged me when i first tried linux back 2004 when i was still on dial-up, but over time i've realized i've never really been in a situation when offline package installation is really required

you can download packages and their dependancies to use for offline installation, or you can make a locally-hosted repository

but really, package managers were made with the internet in mind

probably the most 'offline-friendly' distro is debian, where you can run a system fully offline with minimal manual work by using their dvd sets, from which you can install software from and upgrade from
>>
>>51279556
It bust so happens that I live in a rare deadzone for cable net. Access all around except for the road I'm on. I really don't want to invest in satelite or some other sub-par service.
>>
>>51279516
>So, whats linux's solution to this?

Portable packages (that contain all it's dependencies is pretty much what a Windows installer .exe is)
Downloading the packages with all it's dependencies
>>
>>51279646
>It bust so happens that I live in a rare deadzone for cable net.
Then if you insist on using Linux then you should go for debian. You can download DVD which contain most if not all applications in debian repositories. Then you can install all software from those disks
>>
The entire reason this is possible is because almost everything possible is statically linked in windows, because dynamic linking is fucking horrible on Windows. If you want, depending on your distro, you can download a package and every single dependency. You could also download the source, dependencies, compile, and then keep a new portable version.
>>
File: image276.png (90 KB, 649x505) Image search: [Google]
image276.png
90 KB, 649x505
>>51279516
Depends on what you need. For example (if we're talking about an apt-based distro) you can take your packages from one computer to another with a tool like this one:
http://www.howtogeek.com/110034/how-to-back-up-restore-your-installed-ubuntu-packages-with-aptoncd/

If it's necessary the packager can bundle all the necessary libraries and files in the package or at worst you can ask the package manager to show the dependencies tree and you can take them from your package cache.

As you can see it's very flexible.
>>
>>51279679
Where are these magical packages?
>>
>>51279624
here for example, is a set of 13 dvd's for debian
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/jigdo-dvd/

they contain the most common programs, and can be use entirely offline (when you go to install something, just insert the corresponding dvd)

you can also buy a set, if downloading that much isn't possible/feasable
https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
>>
>>51279744
-- an alternative to this, that also works with any distribution, is to mirror the repos you want, that is, literally download everything in the repos and store them somewhere, then point your system to where they're stored
>>
>>51279723
Well, someone has to make them first.
Surprisingly hardly noone needs them so there's little to none need for them

Sorry to dissapoint you, but you asked for the solution to the problem.
>>
>>51279516
It's not like the Windows example you gave is fool proof either though, because any shared dependencies required by the program you're installing may not always be present on the computer you're installing on, and may not always be included as part of the installation file.
>>
>>51279556
>windows
>start up
>connect to any wifi or ethernet

>linux
>start up
>connect to ethernet if you're lucky
>forget about using any wifi
>>
>>51279516
>hehe, just use our app store, goy

Linux is botnet.
>>
Xubuntu user here, I have to say you're right for once OP

Linux isn't perfect in this regard, and we should just fucking admit it instead of dancing around with stupid crap like metapackages

The problem is, any alternative would be much worse

The best thing to do in your case is download or buy a distro that comes on DVD or even Bluray and just install all your dependencies from that. Or back up the entire Debian repo to a big HDD/SSD.
>>
File: womens studies.jpg (65 KB, 630x721) Image search: [Google]
womens studies.jpg
65 KB, 630x721
>>51279516
>but I've rarely had it where I didn't get some dependency complaint. So, whats linux's solution to this?

Install the dependencies.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.