[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Internet of things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1426512154971.png (290 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1426512154971.png
290 KB, 680x680
>Internet of things
>>
yea
>>
don't like it don't buy it
>>
>>51279420

kek

Shutup and let your toaster mine me bitcoins.
>>
>>51279496
it's stupid regardless of whether we buy or not
>>
>>51279420
The beauty of useless tech is that the perfectly good stuff is still there, second hand, for cheap. With a bit of know-how you can live off the riches of the past.

You don't need a 2016 model year computer car. There are hundreds of thousands of vehicles out there and all you need is basic mechanical knowledge to keep a good portion running.

Same with 'smart' devices on this IoT. Shit, Westerners could probably learn a thing or two about repairing appliances and gadgets. It used to not be worth it, but if the price of a new microwave is increasing by 2/3 because of jammed in 'popcorn recognition software' then it might be worth it economically to fix what you have when it breaks.
>>
>>51279420
>Internet of Things
more like Internet of Shit

>my wifi broke so I can't set the thermostat
>I bought an iPhone and can't leave my house because the SmartDoorLock is Android only
>my smart bulb flooded the LAN with "replace I'm broke" packets
>my fridge leaked my GApps access token
Those are all true stories.

I got a proposal for all those IoT people: how about, instead of socks, or a door, you put a chip in your fucking ass. It could inform you when another brain fart is about to form so you can get your paper and pencil ready.
>>
>>51279558
unfortunatly it hasn't been cost effective to repair shit since CRT's were standard, which is why its cheaper to get a new tv instead of replace an LCD panel because dead pixels.

also planned obsolescence. light bulbs being the most obvious example, two hints, patents made it impossible to make unbreakable ones anymore, and unbreakable ones existed before the shit we have now (without even mentioning mercury filled energy saving CFR's which burn out AND emit UV. )

I could go on for a while but its better to see some documentaries. money before people, they don't give a fuck.
>>
>>51279420
>Internet of Unpatchable Crap

just wait, soon people will be holding your lighbulb hostage unless you PayPal them $50
>>
>>51279606
Sauce?
>>
>>51279660
You mean like the electric company

Also

>Be me
>year 2020
>Have IoT house
>"Hey Cortana Update Facebook I'm eating breakfast yum"
>All 500 IoT devices update my Facebook
>banned for spam on Facebook
>>
>>51279835
>You mean like the electric company
No I mean like they'll turn it on the lowest red light setting possible during the day and bright yellow at night
>>
Seeing how most IoT devices are about as secure as D-Link internet webcams (i.e ether completely unprotected or very badly protected) it's probably a matter of time before IoT devices overtake home computers and servers as the #1 source of spam and DDOS attacks.

If I had the time I'd try to create something similar to the SQL Slammer worm, expect rather than target Microsoft SQL Servers, target some popular IoT device like the Nest thermostat and use it to DDOS the manufacturer's website. Come to think of it, actually messing with the things would probably be more fun. Imagine the uproar if people started noticing en masse that their thermostats were changing the temperature on their own or coffee machines starting up and brewing a cup of coffee at 3 AM every night.
>>
>>51279933
But overtime won't they be fixed,i mean its not like all our software is amazingly secure.
>>
>>51279496
>don't like it don't buy it

>implying you'll get a choice

>implying they won't put telemetry in everything just to spy on consumers.
>>
>>51280491
that's the thing: it won't. Maybe google might patch nest, but what about the fridge or the light bulb? Android phones barely get any software support, what hope is there that all these things will be patched?
>>
>>51279933
>DDOS the manufacturer's website.

IoT is very slow, so I doubt that will be possible.

Maybe you can take down the IoT itself?
How does it work? - does every device get a limited amount of data per month, or are they competing for the same bandwidth?
>>
>>51279606
>>my wifi broke so I can't set the thermostat

The whole point is to not use personal WiFi access points, but a city wide public WiFi network.

What way you can't turn it off or control what it uploads.
So your printer can upload the content of your printed documents to the NSA and there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
File: 1434223073963.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434223073963.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>51279606
>mfw the botnet won't let me leave my house
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.