[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I use a server for? You know like a home server. They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1442972132455.jpg (78 KB, 540x366) Image search: [Google]
1442972132455.jpg
78 KB, 540x366
What can I use a server for? You know like a home server.
They arent too expensive, and would like too know the possible uses with them.
>>
Storing files safely with a redundancy and bit-checking enabled filesystem like ZFS and serving up those files. It frees up the demand of file storage on your workstations so you can experiment with other operating systems without as much stress. Also, Plex Media Server.
>>
>>51278943
Hmm doesnt sound very useful, can I setup a game server? For something like Minecraft lets say
>>
>>51279295
Sure, do whatever the fuck you want with it, it's your computer.

>file server not useful
>Minecraft server useful

Fuck off back to /v/ please.
>>
>>51279308
I'd rather have physical storage
>>
>>51278654
Mine is a little webserver and vpn so I can browse privately and unfiltered wherever I go. Obviously requires a domain name (and dyndns if you're not an ameripleb)
>>
File: top ~e~.jpg (311 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
top ~e~.jpg
311 KB, 960x540
>sad Miatas
>>>/o/ovg
>>
>>51279314
What does that even mean? You want to store your data on floppy disks and CDs?
>>
>>51279332
He means personal area storage, direct hardware access (usb, etc) as opposed to "cloud" storage which inevitably comes under attack and is slow as fuck because it has to pass through the internet.
>>
>>51279350
>home server is "the cloud" and is slow as fuck
wew lad
>>
>>51279308
You piece of fucking shit.
Yes for some people a file server is useful but not me!
>>
>>51279419
Why are you still here?
>>
>>51279419
Then what do you want to do?

It's a fucking server
Yes, you can host gaymen

Now get out
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.