[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hsg/ - Server General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: hsg4.png (147 KB, 538x322) Image search: [Google]
hsg4.png
147 KB, 538x322
Server General
[Formerly /hsg/ - Home Server General]
Talk about and post pics your server setups, be it home, colo or VPS (i.e. the one in lithuania you use as a tor exit node you filthy pedo scumbag), networking equipment and what-have-you in here, no matter how unsightly it may be.
keep the bullshit to a minimum as per usual.
---
Legit question time.
How many of you are using some form of EoP (Ethernet over Power) network to get networking to your servers in a home environment, and what version of HomePlug are you using if you are?
I have a couple [now considered ancient] Zyxel PLA-407 AV200 warts connecting my basement to the upstairs and outside world because it's a bitch to run Cat6 from point A to B the way the house was renovated in the 70s. I'm considering upgrading to something faster but want to know some real-world numbers on how much faster newer standards would possibly run on the same line.

keep in mind that most of the wiring in this house was replaced between 1997-99 during a much more recent renovation job and most of it is 12awg Romex for your normal run-of-the-mill 15A and 20A outlets (of which there are a few in a seperate box.) I'm getting between 20 and 30Mbps depending on what else is plugged into a given outlet, and can confirm both outlets are on breakers on the same side of the box.

[also, macbook magsafe chargers are fucking noisy sons of bitches. ever want to disrupt your buddy's EoP network? plug your macbook in. it's that simple. and this is why you should always have some sort of power-filtering surge protector, kids.]
>>
Broken screen Laptop guy here (d430, quiet and low power usage as fuck)
Debian 8.2 using it as a database and web server
Probably gonna switch to Ubuntu 15.10 because I'm still in the evaluation phase and having new packages is useful when trying to get things working development-wise
>>
File: a.jpg (939 KB, 1335x2000) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
939 KB, 1335x2000
>>51277461
I have an HP microserver gen8, hw specs are:
Celeron G1610T (fast enough for my need and very low on power consumption)
16 GB DDR3 ECC
1x WD scorpio blue 320 GB
2x WD red 3 TB

Host OS is CentOS 7 with qemu+KVM running 7 VMs: backup, DNSCrypt + caching, jabber, mail, torrent + DLNA, owncloud (installing and configuring it right now) and syncthing.
>>
Running a rpi1 to host my website and torrents, and a rpi2 to host a wiki of mine (just powerful enough to run mediawiki). Both with Arch. Great fun!

However, the wiki need some good backup solution. What's your guys setup for that? A usb stick with systemd timers (or cron) backing up the database every other day? An external drive `dd`ing the whole disk?

Kinda sketchy running the wiki from the memory card though, will everything but boot over to a memory stick when I've got the time.
>>
>>51277723
just dump the database into weekly backups, same with your entire /var/www/html folder (tar.gz created weekly)
>>
>>51277572
question: why don't you do something like docker instead of running a VM?
>>
I'm looking to set up a backup of my server, any recommended solutions?
>>
>>51277785
/srv/http that is, but sounds like a plan.
>>
>>51277871
how much data needs to be backed up?
>>
>>51278030
I recommend a cron that runs a script that does both.
>>
>>51278157
Few hundred gigs, not going to backup movies and other things that I can download again.
>>
>>51277799
I know my way around qemu+KVM pretty well, on the contrary I can't say the same for Docker.
Containers are a new technology, are less flexible than virtual machines and I don't feel comfortable running them.
Also not every VM is based on CentOS, for example torrent and DLNA run on a Fedora 22 VM because of newer packages and better support for multimedia applications (ffmpeg and shit).
In the future I also plan to virtualize the router (with pfsense probably).
>>
>>51278302
containers can be any Linux distro, and can run native commands within them. I would personally do that, but I understand why VMs would be preferred.
>>
Hey /hsg/, I keep reading about how you guys can get used server hardware for dirt cheap. Could I get some tips on where to get those prices? I'm yuropoor, if that changes anything.
>>
File: 1446211137274.jpg (65 KB, 594x500) Image search: [Google]
1446211137274.jpg
65 KB, 594x500
>>51278961
ebay. look hard, but it's there.

>>51278294
external drive of some kind, once-a-week incremental backup. there's also tapes that'll do that for you too. and then another drive for offsite storage weekly or monthly.
>>
>>51278961
auction sites that sell stuff from companies that go bankrupt

in my country (belgium), the website is called Moyersoen. Example auction running now: http://www.moyersoen.be/ords/f?p=2008:75:585690668624::NO:RP,75:P75_AUCTION_ID,P75_PS_CATEG_ID:7337,37256
>>
Hey! I'm planning to mount a little homeserver at home, and I was researching about PI's.

I know RPi it is a bad idea due to the Ethernet, but I came to OrangePi and BananaPi, and I cannot differenciate it. I only know BananaPi it is supposed to be better for NAS due to Gigabit Ethernet.

Someone can clarify it for me, please?
>>
>>51278329
I guess it's time to try docker or whatever the fuck the latest hipster container that came up last week is called.
>>
>>51280948
Don't bother. systemd is on track to take over container functionality.
It can already import and manage docker containers without docker being installed
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.