[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Red Hat unlike Canonical contribute directly to the entire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11
File: RedHatHeadquartersRaleigh.jpg (610 KB, 1247x1230) Image search: [Google]
RedHatHeadquartersRaleigh.jpg
610 KB, 1247x1230
>tfw Red Hat unlike Canonical contribute directly to the entire Linux ecosystem

Seriously, anyone who uses ANY Linux Distro is running software developed by Red Hat or one of it's 4,500 employees. This is reason alone to ditch Ubuntu and use Fedora. Instead of waiting forever for new things to come to Ubuntu you get the latest and greatest directly from the company who makes it.

Unlike Red Hat, Canonical contributes jack shit to Linux development.
>>
>>51274392
FEDORA HAS NO PACKAGES
E
D
O
R
A

H
A
S

N
O

P
A
C
K
A
G
E
S
>>
Just get arch tph fám
>>
>>51274392
Nobody asked for systemd, PulseAudio, udev, and other poison Red Hat has injected into Linux.
>>
>Linux ecosystem
No such thing. Linux is a kernel which can be used in anyway I want. Go back to shilling systemd, Red Hat PR.
>>
>>51274408
Fedora has 40 thousand of packages, you add RPMFusion you have a solid Dekstop OS.

>>51274427
Systemd and Pulse Audio just works.
>>
>>51274392

Yummy yummy yummy. Thank you for the delicious bait. Please sir, may I have some moar?
>>
>>51274427
I did. I was one of the people who interviewed Lennart and convinced him to join.
>everything has gone according to plan
>>
>make open sores OS
>name it after people who can't even operate computers

This is why I will never use Nigbuntu.
>>
>>51274408
F E D O R A H A S N O P A K A G E S
E E
D G
O A
R K
A C
A
H P
A
S O
N
N
O S
A
P H
A
C A
K R
A O
G D
E E
S E G A K C A P O N S A H A R O D E F
>>
>>51274392
>le linux meme

Use a real operating system faggot.
>>
>ShitstemD
>Network-mangler
>Pulse "works all the time 50% of the time" Audio
I sure do love RedHat's contributions to linux
>>
>>51275033
Linux is more real than fucking Windows. Windows is barely an operating system.
>>
>>51275052
There wouldn't be Desktop Linux if it wasn't for Red Hat. Systemd and Pulse Audio are just a few of the plenty of desktop software developed by Red Hat or one of it's employees. Also systemd and pulse audio just works, there's a reason most linux distros are using it, even your precious Ubuntu.
>>
>>51275084
Yes, if we're talking about 10 years ago.
>Ubuntu
Why do you think I use Ubuntu?
>>
>>51275084
>>51275102
Also the only reason so many distros use it is because they're forced to by garbage software like GNOME that has dependencies on it for no good reason.
>>
They're trying to take over Linux i.e. poison the well.
>>
I liked Fedora until Fedora 22. For some reason that release was a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>51275117
You don't see most of it's users and developers complaining. Just a small minority of autistic nerds on /g/ complain about pulse and systemd citing so called flaws that are nothing more than old memes that don't apply anymore.

If Canonical hated GNOME they would not planned to switch to GNOME Software to replace their Software Center. The way this works is usually Red Hat develops a key feature for Desktop Linux, then it trickles down starting with Fedora and then with time reaching other distros. Any distro can simply decide to go against the grain but they need to develop better software than Red Hat and most of the time they just can't.
>>
>>51275132
Fedora 22 is fucking amazing and so is Fedora 23. Every release just get better, and better. With every release it gets easier to upgrade.
>>
>>51274392

If Red Hat actually released a version of Fedora that wasn`t for beta testers, it would be a viable OS for every day use.

this is coming from someone who genuinely likes Fedora, but will never run it again because of how frail the system is.
>>
>>51275200
Fedora is a viable Desktop OS.

I have used it on my Laptop for years and never had a problem. It just works.
>>
>>51274506
>40 thousand
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/

It has just under 21k; I think you're getting confused with Debian. No, RPMFusion doesn't count. I won't deny that almost every user likely adds the repos but they still don't count.

This is my main issue with rpm distros in general. Distinctly smaller repos means I can't easily install the software I need. Well maybe "easily" is the wrong word because it's not difficult to use RPMFusion or OBS, it's just a hassle I really shouldn't have to be subjected to. RPMFusion could be in dnf's sources list by default, and zypper could have an interface to OBS, for example. With any Debian distro I can happily install it and install the software I need straight away.

I swear, if Linus didn't use Fedora then more than half of you dimwits wouldn't use it either.
>>
>tfw debian is master race

been running sid for a while now, their reproducible builds project is fascinating as well.
>>
Fedora is trash bump
>>
Face it, the Linux bazaar model is dead.

A shitty OS hacked together mess of incomplete amateur code wouldn't go anywhere.

The only reason Linux has succeeded into the modern age is because of Redhat's efforts.
>>
>>51277045
>opinion
>opinion and bait
>opinion and autism
Just leave, fatty fat fat.
>>
>>51274392
>comparing 22 years old public company with 11 years old private company.
sssshhhhh..............................................................................................
..............................................................................................................
>>
>>51277054
Mad your so called hacker OS has been taken over by suits and is now ENTERPRISE QUALITY
>>
File: received_10153249903023379.jpg (72 KB, 1876x1052) Image search: [Google]
received_10153249903023379.jpg
72 KB, 1876x1052
>>51277074
>>
>>51274506
>Fedora has 40 thousand of packages, you add RPMFusion you have a solid Dekstop OS.
You count source packages. Splitting headers, etc doesn't make sense. For example Fedora did split texlive in single packages, which increases their package count by ~4000. Debian in the meantime split texlive in like 4 packages.

if you currently add RPM Fusion to Fedora 23, you get a broken system.

RPM Fusion is in a shit state. There are trying to migrate to newer infrastructure like Fedora did ages ago for years now. They have a shitty security record, having invalid ssl certs and outdated packages all over (flash was updated in May the last time)

Fedora 23 decided to use some unstable, cutting-edge X.org version, which breaks the old API. so there are no proprietary gfx drivers at all.
>>
>>51277045
no one uses RHEL but ancient non-tech companies stuck with old UNIX and needing to upgrade now.

Silicon Valley does not use RHEL. They don't plan on running the same fucking OS for 10 years.
>>
>>51276250
>RPMFusion could be in dnf's sources list by default
top kek.
Red Hat as an US company would be sued into oblivion.

not everyone can be as smart as Canonical and incorporate in some tax-heaven like Isle of Man with weak copyright and patent protections.
>>
File: 1276287406246.jpg (39 KB, 444x312) Image search: [Google]
1276287406246.jpg
39 KB, 444x312
>>51274408
Not really, but yes, that is an issue.
Also, with all the shit going on with rpmforge, that situations might get worse.

also, what really sucks with fedora, is that they are updating way too fast, and CentOS is way to old (and that really has no packages) for desktop use.

>happy fedora user
>the new fedora shipds KDE5
>that shit is broken
>CentOS finally has a working version of KDE4
>but EPEL is dead
>mfw uname -r 3.19.8-100.fc20.x86_64 forever
>>
>>51275224
a. doesn't aim to be a general desktop distro, just workstation
b. red hat test-bed forces alpha software onto you (early systemd, gnome3, anaconda installer)
c. lots of forbidden items including multimedia, modern crypto & binary drivers
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
d. rpmfusion can't correct all (crypto & amd binary drivers), is insecure and badly maintained
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3313
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023
e. breakage due to following latest stable kernel instead of backporting while otherwise not allowing major updates
f. strict packaging rules with no bundling except firefox, so no chromium available. did soften them somewhat recently.
g. bad defaults: not keeping old packages, but repos only have latest; workstation has ports open by default; anaconda installer doesn't force a root password and starts sshd at the end; ugly fonts
h. no real user repos like AUR/PPAs: Copr is a ghost town and enforces Fedora's forbidden items
>>
>>51277399
it's not Fedora's fault that KDE upstream basically stopped supporting KDE Plasma 4 and wants you to use alpha-quality KDE Plasma 5. didn't you learn anything from KDE 4.0?
>>
Some days ago, after months of distrohopping on my laptop, I decided to give fedora a try. I really really hate to say this but guess what?

I T J U S T W E R K S

No really, no more need to hack it around my needs like every other distro I've tried, only to see it broken some weeks down the road (looking at you, Mangina Linux and your "laptop screen backlight doesn't come back after loging in post-suspend"). Everything I need is there by default and is integrated with the system.
>>
>>51274392
except that metric doesn't matter. the actual end product does.

Employing those devs doesn't mean much and to actually profit from them you would need to pay insane amounts of money to Red Hat to have a direct line.
For companies with that much to spend it basically is cheaper to just hire a dev in their problem area instead.

Let's for example look at systemd in Fedora. Red Hat employs its main dev Lennart Poettering. But, Poettering wants nothing to do with Fedora after some failed attempts to reform and laments Fedora's state:
https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/dToG1PGNc1Q
>>
>>51275165
>With every release it gets easier to upgrade.
You mean after systemd upstream forced fedora to change their ways again when they proposed to kill that undocumented systemd function that fedora's previous updater (fedup) used.

that's like the fourth change to update within 4 years. maybe they got it right this time..
>>
last night tried to install fedora 23.

it fucked up my HDD's and destroyed all data (so other OSs too).
Just because it froze during installation.

srsly fuck fedora today is release party for 23 in my city and im srsly considering shooting them up
>>
>>51274392
lets see what redhat contributed
>systemd
nah
>>
>>51277759
where's your actual bugreport?
>>
File: 8a3.jpg (66 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
8a3.jpg
66 KB, 499x499
reminder that nobody on /g/ has contributed a single dollar or single line of code to the Linux ecosystem
>>
>>51277802
i-i maintain two packages on the AUR
>>
>>51277802
>wanted to donate to fedora
>their website says we rich nigga we don't need no money
based memehat
>>
Oh yeah, like when they contributed to create a bloated shit like systemd?

Sorry, but neither red hat or canonical are good...
>>
>>51277802
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>51277870
systemd is great
>>
>>51277894
Sure is, oh wait, it crashed, now almost everything on my system need to be restarted
>>
>>51277920
>it crashed,
stop using arch then
>>
>>51277759
Wait, Fedora still does that kind of shit?

I don't even get it at this point. I tried several distros for years, dual booting without any problems. But somehow every fucking time I try fedora, boom goes the dynamite. Gone is my Windows partition.
>>
>>51277920
works on my machine :^)
>>
>>51275061
>2015
>not on BSD
What are you even doing senpai
>>
>>51277759
>and im srsly considering shooting them up
Tipped the FBI already
>>
>>51275061
>Linux is more real than fucking Windows. Windows is barely an operating system.
um

I'm sorry

Linux is no more an OS than NT is

Linux is a kernel
>>
>>51277759
Have you considered not being incompetent?
>>
>>51274392
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Ecosystem

>kekhat
>company responsible for systemd
>CONTRIBUTING to the GNU/Linux system

It only ruins it.
>>
File: top-company-contributors-linux.png (108 KB, 782x784) Image search: [Google]
top-company-contributors-linux.png
108 KB, 782x784
>>51278602
They're the biggest commercial contributor to it
>>
>>51278151
> Umm, this discussion has gone on quite long enough, thank you very much. It doesn't really matter what people call Linux, as long as credit is given where credit is due (on both sides). Personally, I'll very much continue to call it "Linux", ...
- Bill Gates, sole owner and proprietor of Men's Wearhouse
>>
>>51278693
TIL Linux kernel is all of Linux
TIL Intel isn't commericial
>>
>>51277759

someone should let police know this
>>
>>51274506
systemd and PulseAudio don't "just work"; I usually end up uninstalling the latter because it usually fucking breaks everything, while the former just overcomplicates the init process because Poettering is an opinionated baby back bitch who can't take heat from Linus.
>>
>>51279032
>overcomplicates the init process
retard has no idea how the init process works.
https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/ip8e1DqJdxT
>>
>>51279032
>overcomplicates the init process because Poettering is an opinionated baby back bitch who can't take heat from Linus.
How does taking heat from Memus relate to complexity of init processes?
>>
>>51279102
just randomly waiting for devices to show up is way easier. not solving the problem, but easier. which retard wouldn't prefer it? he should feel right at home in slackware which is also stuck in the 90s.
>>
>>51279032
PulseAudio just works for me. Your sound hardware+drivers are bad and you should feel bad.
>>
That explains why Linux is so shit nowadays.
>>
>gee this person injecting poison into me is so better than the person not injecting poison into me
Nice try poettering
>>
File: FedoraSJWDistro.png (1 MB, 1865x981) Image search: [Google]
FedoraSJWDistro.png
1 MB, 1865x981
>Fedora users
>>
File: 300px-Linus_Torvalds_flipped4.jpg (31 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
300px-Linus_Torvalds_flipped4.jpg
31 KB, 300x460
>>51279171
>Fedora users
>>
>>51279171
>white male
>representing SJW
top kek
>>
>>51279106
His opinions get in the way of making sane choices. I shouldn't have to give you any examples if you've been here over the last couple years.

>>51279135
Unless I'm addressing a specific need, Pulse is just another thing to break on top of a bunch of other shit that's already finnicky.
>>
>>51279193
Since when is Christine a male name?
>>
>>51274546
What about the adware and the shitty GUI. Plenty of reasons to hate ungabungatu
>>
>>51279193
It's a female whale. I know she looks like a man, but you know.
>>
Wait a sec, people are using Fedora (the testing ground for red hat's non free distro) unironically?
>>
>>51279171
>>51279193
>>51279233
Is a picture of a (admittedly ugly) woman really all it takes to trigger "muh SJW" now?
>>
>>51276250
This is also true with RHEL. It is nearly unusable without EPEL, and you know, every time I yum update, some packages from EPEL upgrade to new version and stop working. When we have to support a legacy system running all CentOS, we have to snapshot EPEL weekly and run various of test to make sure nothing goes wrong. Now with Debian Jessie, we even have the confident to enable unattended-upgrade.
>>
>>51279289
Nah not really. There's a math teacher I know that looks like her and she's amazing as a person. It is known though that if you dislike social justice, Debian and Fedora are not for you. Unless you don't mind, I don't think they'd go as far as to put word filters or some stupid shit like that.

Imagine that. You're typing "feminazi" and things stop working.
>>
>>51275200

Why don't you just use Red Hat? Fedora is the test bed for RHL, which is meant for production.
>>
>>51279385
I dont understand why are people comfortable to go with test bed which is by default unstable since its a fucking TEST ...
>>
>>51279421

This. I mean, Fedora can run fine as a stable desktop. You would be an idiot to install it in production over RHEL.
>>
>>51274392
Latest isnt always greatest and stable you hipster fuck . I dont want to be guinea pig like you.
>>
>>51279502
Fedora is not a testing distro
>>
>Red Hat and Freedesktop cancer
>"contributions"
>>
File: systemd2.jpg (125 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
systemd2.jpg
125 KB, 1024x577
>>51274506
Yes, systemd and PulseAudio are working as planned: making life difficult for their users. Also, polkit has completely fucked up xrdp session management. This functionality used to work perfectly, now, thanks to polkit's quirks, it doesn't work at all. Thank you lennart.
>>
>>51277599
Just wait till your next update. It will burn like rolling-release.
>>
>>51279608
Yeah, it is even not stable enough to call an alpha quality distro.
>>
>>51279674
Starting from fedora 20 i've updated without reinstalling to the current release and haven't got a single problem with package breaking save from cmus which as application not included in the repositories i had to recompile myself.

Try to do that on ubuntu or debian.

Fedora is stable.
It's not debian-retarded-definition-of-stable-by-utilizing-ancient-packages but stable

But please, continue to entertain me with your memes.
>>
>>51279671
If it last 6 months to a year before the next update comes without crapping out in some weird way, it will last longer than any other distro I've ever tried...
>>
>>51279502
>>51279674
As long as you don't jump ship to the newest release right after it's, well, released, you will be fine.

Seriously, I always recommend waiting a month or two before upgrading to a new release. Keeping to this rule, I've used Fedora since 14, without a clean install - always just upgrading - and it works fine.
>>
>>51277599
>"laptop screen backlight doesn't come back after loging in post-suspend"
I've had this issue on Fedora when using i3-locker as my lockscreen.
Logs told me it was xorg shitting itself.

Solved the problem by replacing i3-locker with xscreensaver.
Haven't happened since then.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>>51279784
But that rule is universal and can be applied to any top10 distro so you can be at peace which in turn reminds me to wonder why the fuck are people making threads like this one.
>>
>>51278693
>'Unknown' in No.6

Thanks Mr. NSA.
>>
File: shut-it-down-jew.jpg (658 KB, 2040x3160) Image search: [Google]
shut-it-down-jew.jpg
658 KB, 2040x3160
>>51279821
oy vey
>>
>>51279784
True.
On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait for rpmfusion repositories to become available for F23.
Everything was up day one of the release.
>>
>>51279830
Why contain it?
>>
>>51279800
It was lightdm in my case. I knew I could try fixing it but instead of hacking a solution together once again and pray I didn't fuck it up further I decided I could invest that time installing something else. Fun part was that I didn't even rice it, it's the default stuff Manjaro came with and went unfixed for weeks.
>>
>>51274392
>systemd
Might as well use Windows desu senpai
>>
>>51274506
>Systemd and Pulse Audio just works
:^)
>>
>>51280140
PA does just work.
Poorly.

JACK+OSS4 masterrace.
>>
>>51279847
>On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait for rpmfusion repositories to become available for F23.
yes, in true rpm fusion tradition they give you a completely broken f23 repo instead of making ppl wait.
http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2015-November/018677.html

so basically you get f21 packages build against f22 for f23.
>>
I never got the PulseAudio hate. In the early days with ALSA there was no human way to get synched audio. It had like a half-second lag with video system-wise and happened with a lot of distros. And that's if it decided it wanted to work with your hardware.
>>
>>51280314
>I never got the PulseAudio hate.
Ubuntu pushed it when it was still in the alpha state with 8.04, leading to all that hate.
7 years later the meme won't die.
>>
>>51280361
Welp. PA coming to Ubuntu was the first time I managed to have usable audio on Linux in my box at that time because my onboard sound was busted and I had to rely on a cheapo Sound Blaster Audigy SE that ALSA never wanted to properly work with.
>>
Question. Fedora and CentOS aren't botnets because they're open source, even though Redhat is funded by gubbermint, right?
>>
>>51280438
>Redhat is funded by gubbermint
huh?
>>
>redhat
reminder: redhat has a military guy as chairman of the board of directors.
>>
>>51280467
Red Hat's Main contracts come from the military and the governament.
>>
>>51280513
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Shelton#Post-military_career

>>51280467
their biggest customer is the US govt.
>>
>>51280519
>>51280543
yeah I know that, but how is that "funding"?
US armed forces pay to use their products.
>>
>>51280589
The NSA funds the developement of several security programs via them and the army has a massive OS and drivers production partnership with them.
>>
>>51280608
Okay then.

feels good using NSA approved OS
>>
>>51280640
Just make sure not to use SE linux.
>>
>>51280678
It's too late, USSS SE Linux already on full thrust
>>
>>51277297
You're the same type of person that uses a nightly build and complains that it doesn't work.
>>
>>51280513
>two tours of duty in Vietnam
>led the Joint Task Force responsible for Operation Uphold Democracy
>led the planning of the Kosovo War

That's a man you can trust to deliver a fine product.
>>
>>51277957
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51280140
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51274392
I had no idea Red Hat was such a huge corporation.
>>
>>51280438
at least it's insecure

fedora: if you wanted to like get new crypto in you are hit with lawyers, stonewalling:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901

centos: point-release gap of 1-2 months compared to rhel with no security updates in that time

>>51280589
military contractors have some obligations to their country, too.
>>
>>51281020
>fedora: if you wanted to like get new crypto in you are hit with lawyers, stonewalling:
>https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901
Just tried, it works just fine
>>
>>51274392
*tips distro*
>>
>>51281099
great job at not reading the bug report, which says the same.
the point was that red hat stonewalled ec crypto for 7 years.
>>
>>51281177
more: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#Cryptography
>>
>>51279821

It's not a single Unknown entity, It's just that 4% of their contributions come from developers no associated with an entity. That said, I'm sure that the NSA has people "contributing" to all sorts of open source projects.
>>
>>51280910
>>51280925
It's "caret", you dumb fuck.
>>
>systemd
>pulseaudio

The only good thing they contributed that I use is their lvm implementation. The rest is crap.
>>
>>51281349
No, they mean its nose is made of gold.
>>
>>51275165
f22 was buggy a lot for me. Xorg having weird issues with RAM usage (because Fedora started shipping rootless Xorg) and my touchpad working very bad under libinput.

Anyway, I'm still on f22. Xorg stabilised, no more RAM outages. I also decided to fix the stupid touchpad, instead of whining on chans and filled a bug report. The dev fixed the issue with it.

Waiting for f23 to stabilise to upgrade.
>>
>>51281733
>Waiting for f23 to stabilise to upgrade.
how exactly would you know that?
i'd rather use a distro with a better track record. it's not the first nor the last time that fedora introduced something like libinput before it was ready.
>>
>>51274427
>systemd
Why does everyone on /g/ hate it again?
>>
>>51274408
Not that it matters. Installing stuff from packages is at best buggy and it is often impossible to find the one you need on the version you need.

Ever try to get java and eclipse up and running on Ubuntu using packages? Good Fucking luck.
>>
>>51279171
oink oink oink oink oink oink
>>
>>51284252
Because it doesn't follow "muh Unix way" on a platform designed more than 20 years ago literally to not be Unix
>>
Already using F23, it's the best distro.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.