[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BS in CS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10
File: programming languages.png (1010 KB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
programming languages.png
1010 KB, 2000x2210
Does anyone here have an actual degree in Computer Science?

What is it like? Are companies really desperately trying to fill roles in Comp. Sci. related areas?

How do people react when you tell them you have a degree in computer science?
>>
>Does anyone here have an actual degree in Computer Science?

Yes

>What is it like? Are companies really
>desperately trying to fill roles in Comp. Sci.
>related areas?
No, actually there are too many people with degrees in CS. What companies are looking for is experience. A 40 year old guy with 20 years experience in large scale computer environments is worth 20 CS graduates

>How do people react when you tell them >you have a degree in computer science?
they say "can I have fries and a can of Dr Pepper with that burger please"
>>
File: besto girl.gif (748 KB, 500x482) Image search: [Google]
besto girl.gif
748 KB, 500x482
installing gentoo while I wait
>>
File: Is this nigga serious.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
Is this nigga serious.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>51273173
oh senpai you hilarious
>>
>>51273173
>No, actually there are too many people with degrees in CS. What companies are looking for is experience. A 40 year old guy with 20 years experience in large scale computer environments is worth 20 CS graduates
You don't need experience in years. You just need to be really good.
>>
File: 1440368035493.jpg (307 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1440368035493.jpg
307 KB, 1600x1200
>>51273724
It is physically relieving to read this post anon.
>>
Does MS matter that much more than BS for a fresh grad or is it just a meme?
>>
Yes

> What is it like?

The degree was fun, choose courses that will let you do interesting term projects. An upper-level graphics class will be great for your portfolio.

> Are companies really desperately trying to fill roles in Comp. Sci. related areas?

Having good side projects and the aforementioned term projects got me a great job from my school's job fair. Now I'm writing C on Unix. I didn't even have to move to California.

> How do people react when you tell them you have a degree in computer science?

Positively.

>>51274639

Dunno. I'd like to go back for one at some point.
>>
>>51274639
Wot is mS?
>>
>>51274781

Master's degree.
>>
File: Mah-nigga.jpg (13 KB, 318x248) Image search: [Google]
Mah-nigga.jpg
13 KB, 318x248
>>51274767
>Now I'm writing C on Unix.
about to do an honours in CS, which is the equivalent of a masters. i have 5 years of experience already, kind of broad: IT, security, and programming. i should be good to go after i graduate, right?
>>
>>51274807

Yup, just make sure to talk up your honours project and anything else that you're proud of.

Good luck!
>>
File: MostJS-Ruby:Python apps.webm (1017 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
MostJS-Ruby:Python apps.webm
1017 KB, 320x180
>>51274830
thanks! here, have a funny video
>>
>>51273096

Yes. Major in CS, minor in Math. I've forgotten virtually all the math I learned. I've written some moderately impressive stuff (like an algorithm to correct for image distortion), but never used anything more complicated than algebra.

>What is it like? Are companies really desperately trying to fill roles in Comp. Sci. related areas?

No idea. I mean, yes, but in my experience the only CS-related stuff that comes up in companies is 1) really obvious "holy shit that n^2 algorithm is inefficient and 2) some dumb graph theory stuff in interviews.

>How do people react when you tell them you have a degree in computer science?

I have literally never spoken aloud the phrase "I have a degree in computer science". At most, someone directly asked me what my degree is in, and I said, "CS".

I *have* had plenty of people ask "what's that?" when they asked what I did and I said, "software engineer". AND THIS IS IN THE FUCKING SF BAY AREA. Literally nobody understands anything. Just say, "oh, I'm a web designer" or some shit if you want to get laid.

FWIW, I keep telling people here not to get a degree in CS unless it's from an absolute top university with a really rigorous program. Otherwise, get a degree in math, or in real engineering. I would hire an EE long before a CS major, all things being equal (obviously if the EE is autistic and/or the CS major has a really strong resume, it's different).

I was already way ahead of my peers in programming, having already done most of my college's CS coverage in high school. The only thing college added was databases (which I stupidly ignored for the most part) and finite automata + compilers. Compilers hasn't been very useful, since virtually nothing I've done has involved parsing, and the graph theory covered in my program has been nearly useless. Doing a few Project Euler problems and reading some algo books would teach more.
>>
>>51274857
>tfw i played WoT on an AMD processor
God, i fucking remember those days. Hopefully they add multicore support soon, i dont want anyone to go through what i went through.
>>
>>51273752
It's not true.

To be really good you need experience in years, they're both intertwined.
>>
>>51274941
what's your job like though?
>>
>>51273096
yup

>What is it like? Are companies really desperately trying to fill roles in Comp. Sci. related areas?
yes and no. people want you to have a degree (any kind of science or engineering degree desu) but experience and evidence of work/motivation is also weighed just as heavily as a degree

>How do people react when you tell them you have a degree in computer science?
No real reaction since it's pretty normal. Unless they're an actual engineer then you can fuck with them by telling them you're an engineer, too.
>>
Posting it here since it's kind of related

I signed into a university a year ago, so far, I only completed one course, subject is CS.
The reason for that is getting back to an old workplace, for this uni you need to study on your own, so duo to lack of times I failed every semester.
Every year costs a lost compared to other universities but it's advantage is that there are no requirements to sign.
The job isn't CS related at all, I did wrote some software for my department which pretty much saves me 5 hours of work everyday.
I have thought about a number of options to go with:
>quit job, complete degree in the same uni.
>quit job, study in a normal uni.
>cut on job hours, complete degree in the same uni.
>cut on job hours, complete degree in a normal uni.
>quit job, try to get a job related to the field (QA, or programming) and continue in the same uni.
>quit job, try to get a job related to the field (QA, or programming) and study in a normal uni.
>quit job, try to get a job related to the field (QA, or programming) discontinuing study.

I've been quite on the fence for the last couple of days, not knowing what to choose at all.
I hope you can help me with this mess.
>>
>>51275185
well, you should probably read the Pragmatic Programmer first, since you like to repeat yourself. Idk, man, sounds like you make software painful, and you come across as unaccountable for your own actions. Not gonna bikeshed, but your spelling doesn't help you
>>
File: 1446939867903.png (154 KB, 243x439) Image search: [Google]
1446939867903.png
154 KB, 243x439
>>51273096
>lotr characters
>computer language
this is autism
>>
>>51275223
>debating how to build the bike shed when there's a nuclear reactor to be built

this is bikeshedding
>>
File: 1445713587959.jpg (37 KB, 601x625) Image search: [Google]
1445713587959.jpg
37 KB, 601x625
>>51273096
>WANNA MAKE MONEY???
>LEARN JAVA
>avg python dev salary 107k
>avg java dev salary 102k
>>
>>51275278
the only people who bother to read these charts are people who can't program
>>
File: 1265231857026.jpg (7 KB, 251x188) Image search: [Google]
1265231857026.jpg
7 KB, 251x188
>tfw getting EE and CmpE dual degrees

Sure I probably won't end up using one of them, but I've got loads of options after I graduate
>>
>>51275107

My first job was at a small hardware company, writing drivers and desktop applications that worked with the devices. Later, I moved to the Bay Area and worked for a few startups and pseudo-startups (i.e. small, established companies that aren't hot enough to IPO but want the cool factor of calling themselves startups).
>>
File: oh duke.jpg (82 KB, 641x400) Image search: [Google]
oh duke.jpg
82 KB, 641x400
I have a question for all you experienced programmers and software engineers out there.

I'm wondering if I have a chance at all in this field. I graduated college with a BA in journalism but I've been coding almost every day for the past three years, teaching myself.

My big problem is that after nearly three years of coding I have no idea where I stand compared to a CS major or any other programmer at all really. I work in a small office right now doing mostly Drupal (PHP) maintenance and Linux server admin stuff. I want to move into Android development but I'm afraid I still don't have the credentials. I've recently released an Android game and am working on getting more stuff onto my github, but I'm afraid it's still not enough to go get a "real" programming/engineering job.

I've dabbled in pretty much every modern language and can pick up new ones rapidly these days, but the two languages I'm best with are Java and Clojure (JVM Lisp).

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do/study/program on my own to get noticed for that "real" job without a CS degree?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.