[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch linux based distros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: archlinux-icon-tango-64.png (11 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
archlinux-icon-tango-64.png
11 KB, 128x128
I've been using arch for few month now, and have really grown to like things about it, pacman, AUR, easy custom ability. However, I am doing a fresh install on another computer, and really don't want to go through the hassle of setting everything up. Are there any distros that you just install and have a decent basis to begin working with? I checked out antergos, what does /g/ think of that?
>>
File: 1443912031405.jpg (954 KB, 1800x1195) Image search: [Google]
1443912031405.jpg
954 KB, 1800x1195
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Arch&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&status=Active
>>
Antergos is okay, manjaro is shit. Either way you'll just wish you'd installed vanilla arch. Use architect installer if you're feeling lazy.
>>
>>51272229
seconded, architect streamlines it a lot, they even provide a list of de's and wm's to choose from towards the end of the install
>>
>>51272083
go with parabola. I didnt research much into it and i installed it not to long ago but didnt get to play around with it, but hey, its fsf approved and a fully free distro so it must be good
>>
>>51272229
You got that backwards anon
>>
>>51272712
Yeah, no. Antergos is pretty close to vanilla arch and uses the arch repos.
>>
>>51272753
Antergos is garbage. If you're going to install a full DE arch then just install manjaro, it's far more stable.

If you want vanilla arch fucking install arch.
>>
>>51272205
PARABOLA
>>
>>51272083
antergos is good. You can do a minimal install that basically is arch for lazy people.
>>
After days of trying to rice Windows and finally realizing that's fucking stupid; I've decided to dual boot with Chakra.

I am excited to finally learn Linux, with a distro that easily fits my weeaboo trash needs.
>>
>>51275494
I support this from my Parabola laptop.
>>
Well, there aren't really any. I like Crux but Arch was based FROM Crux. Personally, I like Gentoo, Slackware, BSD.
>>
github.com/helmuthdu/aui
>>
>>51274663
but manjaro doesnt use arch repos and manjaro repos are shit.
>>
>>51276830
Is there any easy way to install gentoo, crux? i feel the handbook doesnt help quite that much. Slackware was easy installations and bsd too. But for some reason i struggled installing gentoo and crux..
>>
>>51272083
backup the package cache for faster package installs
# tar cvf ~/package\ cache.tar -C /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ .

backup /etc so you can copy out any system configs you want to keep or use as reference for the new install
# tar czvf ~/etc\ backup.tar.gz -C /etc/ .

and backup the list of things that are installed, review it, modify it, and use it to quickly install what you want (you can pass the list to pacman/yaourt later)
$ pacman -Qqe > ~/package\ list.txt
>>
>>51272083
Just fucking use Architect Linux for installing, save yourself from those retarded distros. Moron.
>>
>>51277743
What, the gentoo handbook is a very detailed handbook it's easy to install gentoo frok that documentation ))
>>
>>51272083
>AUR
I'm starting to hate it every time I use it.
>>
>Always so the opposite of what /g/ says.
Don't install manjaro
>>
What about uefi mode installation? Which distro based on arch can handle it by default?
>>
>>51277779
>
/var/cache/pacman/pkg/

I didn't know this had all my installed applications
>>
>>51272083
Why is it manjaro suck so bad? It comes up in every arch thread.
I've never really heard anyone give a proper explanation
>>
File: Fishing_Pole_Bait.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
Fishing_Pole_Bait.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>51277725
>Doesn't use Arch repos
You can choose to use the them if you want
>>
I haven't spent a day without a fatal bug on arch.
>>
>>51279192
I haven't had a single issue that wasn't caused by me messing with things. Because I broke it, I could always fix it in a few minutes.
>>
File: look_at_this_faggot.gif (3 MB, 375x250) Image search: [Google]
look_at_this_faggot.gif
3 MB, 375x250
>>51279192
Then you're doing it wrong
>>
>>51279192
have you tried uninstalling extra chromosomes?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.