[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The logo at the boot process of a gamecube/ ps2 is coming from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Matrix_Infinity_v5_05.jpg (148 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Matrix_Infinity_v5_05.jpg
148 KB, 1024x768
The logo at the boot process of a gamecube/ ps2 is coming from the BIOS, correct? If I want to eliminate the ability to play games and just want to work on developing my own bios to access the hardware like a normal computer, I just need to bypass the current BIOS chip with a modchip correct? Please help me understand this.
>>
>>51270087
>>>/uni/
>>
>>51270087
>>>/vg/hbg

There were threads for console hacking on /g/ but got shitposted to death, you have bad luck.
>>
>>51270087
I think Sony has a first party way of running Linux on the PS2, right? Something like "Linux for PS2"
>>
That would assume that the PS2 and GC will boot unsigned code. The Wii has a stage 1 bootloader that is burned into the ROM and verifies stage 2, and a stage 2 bootloader that initializes the system, which due to some exploits, could be rewritten on old Wiis, GC compatible Wiis. I don't know of anything similar being doable on the GameCube and all of the Wiis post GC compat drop have the boot2 exploit fixed so overwriting it will just brick your Wii.

If you are looking into modifying a console "BIOS" then I suggest you get a launch Wii, REV-001 IIRC, and then figure out how bootmii works and how they load it from boot2
>>
>>51271948
Thank you. Everyone. Didn't know about the Hbg on v. I also have a bricked gc wii that I'll look into bootmii with
>>
>>51271880
Yep. They released a kit for it that included an install disk, HDD, keyboard, mouse and I think maybe the network adapter.
>>
>>51270087

PS2 has a linux kit.

PS3 HAD a linux distro (though it sucked, no gpu access or wifi card support).

That is about it outside of homebrewing. I am pretty sure Wii and Vita were cracked open pretty damn hard.

Don't think the gamecube ever was.

Instead of buying a.modchip, youd get a more capable computer just buying a raspberry pi.
>>
>>51274051
>PS3
>linux distro
FreeBSD has 2d gpu driver for X.org it's pretty enough.
>>
>>51274051
Rbpi is on order but wii is just more interesting to get working
>>
maybe you can modify coreboot to work with it?
youre gonna need all the technical documentation you can lay your hands on
Sounds like a really cool project anon
>>
>>51271783
I remember those, saw them a few months ago.
>>
Start with freemcboot. It allows you to run arbitrary code on the PS2. No modchipping, it just exploits what the PS2 does with memory cards when it boots. When it boots it checks a file on a memory card and if that file contains arbitrary code, it just runs it.
>>
>>51274449
You mean VESA? If so, check this out

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xorg-vesa-driver-massive-speedup-using-mtrr-write-combine.46723/
>>
>>51277357
No, I mean what I say.
For 2d only:
http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps3/PS3_GPU_Driver
For Framebuffer x11/vt:
https://freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb/
>>
File: smartXX_v3_diagram_front.jpg (83 KB, 589x416) Image search: [Google]
smartXX_v3_diagram_front.jpg
83 KB, 589x416
Xbox and SmartXX v3 would be good start for you.
>>
Not op.

I have an original untouched PSone lying around.

There's some way I can quickly make it reading burned ps1 isos without needing to solder anything on the mobo? Something like the freemcboot on the ps2.

If not, do they still psone modchip?
>>
>>51277930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguZREKtUks
>>
>>51272575
yes the network adapter came with it, as it's required for the hdd (it's the network adapter that has the IDE interface on it)
>>
>>51277747
an open source full-rewrite replacement bios for the xbox already exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_%28computing%29
>>
>>51277990
don't want to sound bitchy but that doesn't seem to be a great method

thanks anyway
>>
>>51278962
not him but i used that method all the time

you get the hang of it pretty quickly, it also works on any psx/ps1 model (unlike some other swap methods)
>>
>>51279006
not to mention it works with any game, including the "modchip detecting" ones (many if not all games newer than '98)

of course, modchips can also avoid detection, either with a fancy chip that turns itself off, or by installing a physical switch to turn off older chips once the game is booted
>>
File: smc-38-big.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
smc-38-big.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>51279026
Speaking of Playstation, I wonder how these unofficial Swap Magic and other boot discs works without any problem on non modded systems?
>>
>>51279101
i own a set of swapmagic discs as well, actually

the reason they work is that they're actual, pressed discs containing real boot information duplicated from a real ps2 disc, the ps2 cannot tell it apart from the game the information was copied from

back in the day i remember there existing special pressed cd-r's with psx boot information on them, for similar purposes (though those were obviously only usable for one game, since you burn the game to the disc)
>>
File: 1352486596.jpg (147 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1352486596.jpg
147 KB, 500x400
I bought used PS1 and it had Breaker pro bundled to play pirated games.

Of course myself I installed chip to it.

BTW, status of PSIO looks pretty good http://ps-io.com/
>>
>>51279225
there's a swaptrick to play psx copies on ps2, which also works for other region discs

the method i prefer is;
1. enter the browser
2. put in a real psx game
3. wait for it to show up in the browser
4. swap it for a copy (naturally, without letting the console know the tray is open)
5. select the game in the launcher
6. ???
the ps2 doesn't verify psx games twice, this won't work for ps2 games, however

there is one "swap trick" that can be used to boot ps2 games, but it's trickier, and a bit obsolete compared to using freemcboot + ESR
>>
>>51279285
-- oh, that swaptrick isn't as safe as using breaker pro, since the disc is still spinning when you swap it, it's at least not trying to read data from the disc at the time unlike the psx swaptricks
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.