[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the architecture and ecosystem of Android so objectively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Android_robot_2014.svg.png (9 KB, 204x239) Image search: [Google]
Android_robot_2014.svg.png
9 KB, 204x239
Why is the architecture and ecosystem of Android so objectively shit (coming from someone who loves their Nexus 4 + CM 12.1)?

With 0 patches to the majority of Android devices, I'm waiting for a repeat of Blaster on Windows XP where one security problem ends up taking out the majority of Android devices. Again, it'll be worse than XP's security because there will be no way to fix those devices.

Why does every Android device need their own customised image/OS? Why can't it be similar to Windows where one OS image can run on pretty much every x86 PC? Google could push out OS updates in a much more sane fashion.

If carriers/manufacturers want to theme and customise, allow them to deploy a device specific customisation package that can be updated independently of the OS and can be removed at will.

Google needs to put their foot down and make everyone step up their shit if they are to avoid an inevitable security armageddon.
>>
>>51265380
until that happens i'm not buying another android device, to be honest.
>>
>>51265380
i agree phones and android need to be made in a way that is more 'generic', that is, one image should work on most phones of the same architecture

that alone would help staying up to date a lot

>>51265406
that's just silly, that's like vowing never to use windows again because some people still run windows xp
do like myself and op do, get a phone with 3rd party support like from CM, and keep it up to date yourself
>>
>>51265508
My phone can handle the newest CM 12.1, but it's really buggy and has bad battery life, or so I've heard.

I run XP on my PC, too, t.bh.
>>
>>51265380
>allow them to deploy a device specific customisation package that can be updated independently of the OS and can be removed at will
This is the problem. Carriers like Sprint and Verizon are not going to give up control over their customers' phones even if it makes their customers happy. Sprint does bullshit like disabling WiFi hotspot through their software so customers have to pay for it in their plan, they're not going to give up this revenue.
>>
>>51265380
Unit bath industry off like heart common move young door mass development green loss conscious kettle private space love boy apple well need wash mist need brown burn blade metal credit why

invention card room

month across digestion

road early paste thing push look attempt week straight room private comb hook common high hanging mother

exchange step tail page other goat fire country laugh view effect new level stem deep sky neck instrument station.
>>
>>51265769
wat

captcha: rybrcer dongbin
>>
>>51265380
google keep trying, bless them, the problem is that all SOCs require different drivers, and phone makers are trying all manner of shit to try and cut down on battery usage while still seeing performace gains.

the IBM compatible PC is kind of an outlier, it only got developed because bill gates was a canny fucker, and it remains because having a huge base to found your new idea on is always going to be better than rolling your own.

For the same thing to happen again, google would need to release say, a reference hardware implementation and then cut out any version of android that didn't play by the spec (or pretended to). So then to get new features and avoid a hard fork away from google services handset makers would need to start playing ball and suddenly you have an ecosystem again instead of 40 fiefdoms (it also becomes easier to write drivers)
>>
>>51266012
>google would need to release say, a reference hardware implementation
isn't that what 50% of nexus devices are

the fact is if google tried to pull that shit the oems would need to suck it up since android is their lifeline
>>
>>51266012
>>51266189
Unfortunately this won't happen because if it did a lot of users would switch to iPhones, some carriers would stop selling Android phones, and you know Samsung would be all over Tizen's dick in a heartbeat.
>>
The main thing they need to get rid of is carrier modifications to Android and delivery of updates through them.

Once you scale it back to just manufacturers then the ability to roll out timely updates would improve greatly.

It took me a month longer to get 5.1.1 for my version of the Note Edge just because of the carrier. I have a friend with a Note 3 who is still on 4.4.2 because none of the NZ carriers have released 5.0.

Hell, even if the manufacturers just made it so that you could install base/clean versions through them.
>>
>>51266470
>muh carriers

sounds like you guys are getting seriously cuc ked by them

i hear verizon is the worst
>>
>>51266189
>>51266244
oh yeah it's completely impossible, in that google would need to release a nexus and then say "this SoC or one with the same architecture or GTFO" and given how unwilling they are to provide ANY restrictions ever it wouldn't work.

people wouldn't switch to iphones over this and Samsung would really love to run it's own show without google (but they can't and the margins are catching up to them). The app ecosystem gives google all the control in the relationship, they just can't tug too hard or handset makers leave, hence the need to make a reference spec.

looking at the phone ecosystem as a student of computing history it's kind of wierd, an alt-history where IBM got the better of the microsoft deal, we can only hope for an open spec for now
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.