[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: workaround.png (41 KB, 398x462) Image search: [Google]
workaround.png
41 KB, 398x462
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

Although it is recommended to install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes", it is better to try the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a full Linux experience.

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), use it exclusively for 2 weeks, avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33sFFhgkWk

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, (although maybe wine can make up for it.)

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
/r/linux4noobs
/r/linuxquestions
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/

...Good thing I'm faster, so I'll not include the so called /g/ "recommendation".
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

There is also scripts for new users from Windows that are heading straight to Debian.
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript
>>
This thread is deprecated -- move to >>51264201
>>
>>51264849
I posted in the old thread :/
>>
>>51264804

x220 Tablet with i5 and 8gigs memory here:

is there a distro which let me use tablet features out of the box?

or do I have to install wacom drivers and use scripts(portrait mode, landscape mode change) whatever distro I choose?

it's the pen only model(no multi touch)

I like unity, so I have ubuntu in mind (dual boot win7). also people recommend mint everywhere I guess it is the most popular or something atm.
>>
Just a little input for future Linux users/newbs..
I was very impressed once I dual-booted OPENSUSE 12.3 and Windows 7 on my laptop. Opensuse was very easy for me to figure out and even an intermediate level Windows user going it very comfortable,sleek and user friendly.
>>
Why is xorg such a pain to configure if you want more than basic functionality?

I'm running the radeon driver because I have an old laptop with an old laptop IGP. I can't get DRI3 to work, even though it should be hardware independent. I can't get it to vsync, or if it IS vsyncing, it's causing shit performance. Compositing isn't that intense. What the actual fuck, guys?
>>
>>51268667

It gets worse with modern gpus that have only glamor support, and there's no fucking way to vsync.
>>
Hey guys i want my Makefile to compile every file that starts with ex and is .c

How do i do that?
>>
>>51264877
arch
>>
>>51264804
suggestion: if you use ubuntu or debian, you may want to add this to /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
>>
>>51268753
What's the optimal way to do shit then? EXA? I feel like there's just something dramatically flawed about this configuration
>>
>>51268926

exavsync works well if your GPU supports it, if not you could try drirc.
>>
File: 1354296256440.png (241 KB, 349x415) Image search: [Google]
1354296256440.png
241 KB, 349x415
So I very recently installed rtorrent + rutorrent and they're working pretty well, but there's a problem.

I'm running them on a home server, and am using NFS to remotely mount the directory where I have all the downlaods, watch and seeding directory for rtorrent so I can just drop torrent files from my desktop straight onto my server and let them run indefinitely on there.

So I've been testing it with a few torrent files and when I add a torrent file to the watch directory, it opens, downloads everything is fine, I then delete the file and data through torrent and try to add the same torrent file again, though that's a no go. rtorrent will not open the same file again, this is different from when I use rtorrent locally, I can delete and re-add files as many times as I want and it just works. Now here's the weird part, if instead of copying those files striaght from my desktop to the /srv/nfs/share/torrents/watch directory but instead just copy them to /srv/nfs/share, then over ssh use cp to move the torrent file to the watch directory, it opens in rtorrent normally, I can delete it and re-add with cp and it loads again. So rtorrent is just not liking when I drop files into it a second time from my desktop, anyone might know why, I changed the permissions on the dir to 777 recursively. I'm just out of ideas/
>>
Let's say I install archlinux, and instead of X, I install wayland.
How programs will react to wayland ? Does steam, playonlinux, etc. will run fine like they do with X ?
Is it possible that wayland brings better performances in general ?
What would be the benefits ? I have read a lot of things about it, and was wondering what was true or not, and if it was worth to try it yet or not.
>>
For the people having troubles with fonts in firefox on archlinux. I tried a lot of things and what solved my problem is
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Font_problem_in_Firefox_print_output
Now my fonts are better, but I still don't find how to change it. Tried one or two things without success.
>>
>>51269131
I hate to say it, but that could be a bug, and rtorrent development has been dead for years upstream.

>>51271374
Most things that call libGL or call any X functions directly will still need X, but you can run rootless Xwayland inside of Wayland, sort of how X11 works on OSX.
>>
>>51271531
So basically I'll be able to run everything fine with wayland, but some programs will still use, somehow, X11 ?
>>
I'm trying to pick a Linux distro.
All I want it to do is run virtual box, I'll do all my other stuff in the VM.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>51271595
The programs that need an X server will still get one, only the X server is running as a Wayland client.
>>
>>51271602
Debian+Xen Hypervisor
>>
Why is fedora such dogshit? For what purpose would I use Fedora over CentOS or RHEL itself?
>>
>>51271950
>recommending Xen
>ever
KVM+libvirt > dog shit > Xen
>>
>>51271961
>Why is fedora such dogshit?
Red Hat leaves an assload of stuff out of the main repository out of lawsuit paranoia because they're a publicly traded American company.
>For what purpose would I use Fedora over CentOS or RHEL itself?
You want software that's newer than the fucking stone age. EL7 is based on Fedora 19, and Fedora 23 just dropped. Once xdg-app provides distro-agnostic sandboxed app deployment that won't be an issue, but xdg-app is still new and will, MAYBE, release in Fedora 24.
>>
Something odd I noticed with Bunsen... in the liveUSB mode, the package manager has more packages available than after I install from that USB. For example, TexMaker wasn't listed. Anyone know why?
>>
>>51264804
How do I start my cinnamon session without having to install a display manager?
>>
>>51271531
>I hate to say it, but that could be a bug, and rtorrent development has been dead for years upstream.

That's a nuisance then, I'm not using the latest version of rtorrent as this I'm on ubuntu server using what the repo provides, but I guess I might try and compile a newer version and see if it fixes the issue.
>>
Is the reason for Debian's popularity around here just its stability?

My experience doesn't really show any big stability issues with any distro, so anything that doesn't have the AUR seems pretty inferior.
Help me understand.
>>
How hard is to configure MPV correctly in Fedora? I'm using the GUI bakamplayer right now. Also using only Intel GPU.
Is smplayer+MPV alright?
>>
>>51276422
I think it's because Debian is the second oldest distro that's still alive so many people are familiar with it. Also Ubuntu is the one that all the noobs try and it's based on Debian so people might think "Oh, well I'll just go to vanilla Debian then, now that I've got the hang of this Ubuntu". All the guides still apply to it and it feels familiar to Ubuntu. It can also be very stable so it can be used in production as well.

So Debian being popular feeds its popularity, but that's how it is in everything. There might be better options out there but people want the one that others are using too.

I use Arch and AUR, too. Maybe AUR and Arch Wiki will some day work in every distro.
>>
Currently using debian testing with cinnamon.
I got a big issue with it that is annoying.
Whenever I use the left button to drag and drop a tab, a window or a file, it suddenly drop the element.
Anyone know why it's acting like that ? If someone could tell me where I should look at.
>>
>>51273729
can you post ur sources.list?
>>
>>51276520
It's easy. Search up mpv general/config on rbt.asia and pick and choose ur options.

>>51276597
what browser?

>>51275690
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc#Making_a_DE.2FWM_choice

>>51271961
If your willing to install fedora, install arch instead
>>
>>51267352
gnome is good with tablets. I like arch because I can install all drivers I might need through aur. However, Ive never used a table on arch. This might come in handy (even if u dont go with arch):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X220
>>
>>51264853
It won't be deprecated with few more posts in your thread.
>>
$ rm syml[tab]ink-to-folder/
rm: cannot remove 'symlink-to-folder': Is a directory
# huh, what? but it's a symlink! well, whatever
$ rm -rf syml[tab]ink-to-folder/

Half a second later I realised it was taking too long and hit CTRL+C. Too late.

Apparently 'rm' treats 'symlink' as the link itself, and 'symlink/' as the folder that the symlink links to. The difference is in the slash. Thing is, when you use bash tab completion, it automatically puts the slash there.

Anyhow, fuck my life.
>>
>>51277468
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates non-free contrib main

# added by bl-welcome
# Multimedia repository
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ jessie main non-free
>>
>>51276422
Debian main beats the AUR hands down for server stuff.
>>
XFCE or MATE?
>>
>>51278992
What does that even mean?
There's nothing else like the AUR out there, Ubuntu's PPA and OpenSUSE's OBS both fail a something very simple, centralization.
The AUR is right now, unique, there's nothing like it, everything you can think of it's probably there.

But seriously what does that even mean?
Debian main is just a repostory, the core of the distribution, it's nothing like the AUR, PPA, or OBS.
>>
Does anyone know if it's safe to install fglrx on the ubuntu 15.10 release yet?
>>
>>51279040
MATE.
>>
>>51279040
MATE
>>
>>51279050
It should be, a workaround for Catalyst on Linux 4.2 was found weeks ago, but you still need to be sure if the package in Ubuntu's repository is updated.
>>
>>51279089
K, I'll just use the driver tool and see what happens.
>>
>>51279105
Or you could you know, read the news, browse a little whatever the fuck Ubuntu's community is and found out if they updated their driver.
>>
>>51279118
Yeah I know. I'll just install it and see what happens tho. I can always remove it. And if it breaks anything beyond salvage I'll just download the LTS and start using that again.
>>
is it possible to implement all the out of the box security mitigations and what not that openbsd comes with on linux?
>>
>>51279144
Yes
>>
>>51279156
sweet. I better start reading up on all the OpenBSD documentation, I got a lot to learn from them.
>>
File: lefacegif.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
lefacegif.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>51279118
>>51279134
Ok so that fucked shit up.
Gonna try and look for a workaround now.
>>
What office suite am I supposed to use? I tried LibreOffice, which came preinstalled with my distro, but it crashes a lot.
>>
>>51279499
What distro and what version of libreoffice? You should report it to your distro as a bug, they shouldn't be pushing that version if it is unreliable, libreoffice is one of the most important linux (desktop) packages.
>>
>>51279515
Fedora, LibreOffice 4.4.5.2
Guess I'll fill a bug report later on.
>>
>>51279551
Well, fedora is literally a testing distro. Maybe see if you can upgrade or downgrade somehow.
>>
>>51279569
Will do, cheers
>>
Is there a fucking system wide parametric equalizer on linux yet?
>>
>>51279602
I'm sure pulseaudio can do it some how but I don't use that cancerous trash.
If you use jack it is very easy, you can set up a ladish studio to automatically load with whatever fx you like.

Why on earth would you want a system wide eq anyway, more to the point?
>>
Sound didn't work in my new Mint installation, so upon googling I reinstalled something called alsa which was supposed to fix it.

Now I can't log it anymore. It displays the login screen, but when I log in it just flashes some text at the top of the screen for a second and then dumps me back to the login screen. Is there some way I can force my way into the desktop so I can try to fix it?
>>
>>51279665
This is why I don't use Mint.

First of all, what kind of laptop/computer do you have?
>>
>>51279665
hit control, alt and f3. You can log in to a console and do stuff there. I can't see how reinstalling alsa would stop you logging in though. What does the text say?
>some text
Learn to look at logs and/or how to diagnose problems, reinstalling something rarely does anything.
>>
>>51279687
Desktop, a new one. Asus mobo, skylake CPU.

What do you mean this is why you don't use Mint, is this a common problem with it?
>>
>>51279698
Mint is basically outdated piece of shit. They are derived from Ubuntu LTS which is stable but outdated, use the latest Ubuntu version, although you may want to use an official Ubuntu flavor to avoid Unity.
>>
>>51279692
The text flashes too briefly to be able to see anything really. It first brings up the exact same thing as ctrl+alt+f3 does, I can tell that now, but after that it flashes to something else for just a split second before going back.
>>
>>51279602
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Equalizer
>>
>>51279745
>stable but outdated

If this is what goes for stable, I'd hate to see what unstable is like.
>>
>>51279751
Sounds like xorg isn't starting. If you go to a tty (f3.4,5 etc) you can log in and look at some logs. Not sure where they would be on mint but try
>cd /var/log && ls
This should put you in the log directory and show you what logs there are. If mint doesn't use systemd then you can open these with less, nano or whatever (console) text editor. Check xorg log first, maybe dmesg.
>>
>>51279797
His issue isn't down to mint, this is the kind of thing that happens to any binary distro when you start messing around reinstalling deep dependencies like alsa and you're not really sure what you're doing (not that it sounds like alsa is the issue).
>>
>>51279797
Stable is depending on the distro, there are stable up-to-date and stable outdated.
>>
>>51279815
I opened up something called xorg.0.log, and it looks like it's completely blank. There's another file with the same name except with "old" at the end.
>>
Should I go for Debian or Arch? I have a fair share of experience with Linux, but I'm not really knowleadgeable with the its architecture. Would installing Arch be too hard?
>>
>>51279946
You literally have to copy and paste some commands from the wiki, nothing else.
Also the Architect Installer exist so you don't have to do anything else.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide
>>
>>51279968

That's not entirely fair. There's a lot of shit trying to install audio and video drivers...
>>
>>51279901
and the other?
>>
>>51279946
try installing archlinux following the beginner's guide.
Actually what is difficult is not really to install it, but to figure out what you need (which software you have to install, how to configure one or two file to launch the DE, etc.
And if you want to set it up as you want exactly it might take some time, but nothing impossible. You just have to know basic commands.

>I'm not really knowleadgeable with the its architecture
what do you mean by architecture ?
>>
>>51279985
What? you only need to install the xorg group, and as i said you can just use the Architect Installer and forget about everything.
>>
>>51279985
>a lot of shit trying to install audio and video drivers...
pacman -S pulseaudio
pacman -S driver-name

so hard.
>>
>>51280009
>how to configure one or two file to launch the DE, etc.
systemctl enable [your displaymanager of choice]

Done
>>
>>51280031

That may be true, but I failed miserably at it :/
>>
>>51280042
Use the Architect Installer then, stop over complicating your life.
>>
>>51280000
Full of stuff, none of which seems helpful.

I also tried going into the terminal and reinstalling xorg, and it's telling me it's "unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages" after a bunch of conflicts.
>>
>>51280009
>>51279968
I see, thanks.
What I mean, I used Linux sparingly in the past for developing or as a server, but I never really got into how the system worked. But I guess it's a good time to get into that. I'll try doing a DIY installation.
>>
>>51264804
Does /g/ have any concensus on systemd? Is it the cancer killing linux or the necessary step of its evolution? I'm currently sticking with gentoo and its openrc anyway.
>>
>>51280055
Congratulations, you broke your system because you reinstalled ALSA.
>>
>>51280082
systemd is the future of Linux, it's the patron saint who would free us from GNU's regime.
>>
>>51280082
It just werksâ„¢

Also using an old HDD i get this:
$ systemd-analyze 
Startup finished in 2.627s (kernel) +7.346s (userspace) = 9.974s
>>
>>51280055
What did I tells you a few posts ago? Blindly reinstalling binary packages isn't going to do much.

There seems to be more going on here than what you said you did. There is a repair command for your package manager, find it and run it to fix your broken packages.

Also,
>Full of stuff, none of which seems helpful.
It's logging things for a reason. It may not seem helpful to you but it could well tell you what is wrong. Try posting it here. Sounds like your system is fucked though, run the repair from TTY first.
>>
>>51279664
To equalize my headphones to sound neutral, of course.
>>
>>51280082
cancer
>>51280144
haha le fast boot meme. Openrc and runit can both boot in 10 seconds. It's a wonderful fallacy that systemd shills created.
>>
This is a very silly issue, butt it tickles my autism a lot.

After updating Xubuntu to the latest version, the XFCE session always starts in workplace #2.

How do I revert this behavior?
>>
>>51280171
Welp if other distributions shipped OpenRC i would try it, but the truth is, i really don't care about my init system, i mean it's not something i interact directly, just something it's there, like the kernel, i don't care.
>>
>>51280171
>10 seconds
$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.412s (kernel) + 2.693s (userspace) = 4.105s

gg runit & openrc, the inferior "init".
>>
>>51280223
SSD?
>>
>>51280222
>i mean it's not something i interact directly...i don't care
That's what is counted on.
>>51280223
keep memeing.
Even if I were to say that systemd is faster (which it isn't) do you really think saving literally a couple of seconds of boot time (assuming your fallacy were not a fallacy) really is the only thing systemd is good for? You're letting it creep in to every aspect of your system and the kernel itself just because you (supposedly) can save a couple of seconds when you boot?
What a moron you are.
>>51280260
exactly
>>
>>51280110
Do I get an award?

>>51280151
I'm starting to get the impression that trying to fix this is going to end up being more trouble than just reinstalling, so I'm going to just do that. Thanks for the input so far.

Is there any rule of thumb as to what I should and shouldn't mess with so I can avoid this in the future?
>>
Asked this few days ago, couldn't really understand the answer.
I fixed (or fucked) my suspend, but now it's even more fucky.

Changed this:
/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
action=pm-suspend

The problem: when I wake the laptop with the power button, it wakes and then immediately suspends again. When I press the power button another time it wakes normally.

Anyone know where to start looking for how to fix it? Google yields very little result
>>
>>51280313
Reinstalling shit is the windows way. While faster in some cases, generally it's the worst solution.
>>
>>51280313
>Is there any rule of thumb as to what I should and shouldn't mess with so I can avoid this in the future?
No idea, you didn't provide any logs or information to determine what is wrong. You literally need to run one command from the command line. If you think it's easier to reinstall everything then go for it.
>>
>>51280313
Try the whole lot of avoiding an old as fuck distribution in a new build, seriously your build is skylake based, you should be using Linux 4.3 at least, try at least an Ubuntu flavor, they are on Linux 4.2 iirc
>>
>>51280345
Kernel 4.2 is the stable version m8.
>>
>>51280336
There were thousands of lines in that log, and the most recent ones were about some kind of ee PC keyboard shortcut. I don't see what that could possibly have to do with it, and I have no idea how to identify if anything does.
>>
>>51280362
Yes but skylake isn't fully supported until 4.3.
>>
>>51280362
kernel.org
4.3 hitted stable last week
>>
>>51280370
Cool. Your version of relevant might be very different from ours.
>>
>>51280378
>hitted
>>
>>51280398
shit
>>
>>51280371
>>51280378

oh, i didn't know.
>>
How do I get to remove orphaned packages using deborphan and apt-get in a single line on the terminal?
>>
what can I do to remove the graphics lag in kubuntu?
>>
>>51280378
That page is ambiguous and, as far as I know, is mixing two uses of 'stable'. 4.3 is mainline where as 4.2 is stable. Not sure why the big yellow button says stable 4.3, I think that means released, not git version.

Arch doesn't even have 4.3 in the main repos yet, don't think it's going to be in ubuntu for quite a while.
>>
>>51280476
>Arch doesn't even have 4.3 in the main repos yet
Yes it does.
And mainline it's just the lastest kernel available.
4.2 will be retire after 4.3.1 goes up.
>>
>>51280508
It didn't as of a few hours ago, it's still in the testing repo.
>>
>>51280526
Do you know what testing means in Arch?
>>
Eclipse-java looks terrible on GTK+ (openbox), everything is big, any idea how to fix it?
>>
>>51280508
>Yes it does.
No, 4.3 is in arch's testing repo.
>And mainline it's just the lastest kernel available.
I'm aware of that but, as I said, the yellow button marks 4.3 as stable but 4.3 isn't the stable release, it is mainline, therefore the use of 'ambiguous' in my post.
>>
>>51280535
Bloody bleeding bleedingest edge.
>>
>>51280544
No, everything that might break stuff will be put in testing till whatever it's that breaks shit is fixed, nothing else, it doesn't matter if it's a release version, Arch simply doesn't deal with betas and alphas.
For example Linux-LTS 4.1.13 it's in testing: but it's obviously a stable version.
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/linux-lts/
>>
>>51280064
if you want to learn, go for arch. Maybe you'll find difficult at first, but everything is on the wiki so you shouldn't have too many problems.

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/fhs.shtml
this i a good place to see what are all the directories on linux. If you wonder were you can find stuff, or why some files are on specific directories etc. that might explain you a lot of things.

>>51280082
see http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Basically a lot of people will like it, because it makes your computer boot faster, it "just werks" most of the time, but there's a lot of issues.

>>51280455
I'm pretty sure you can just do a sudo apt-get autoremove
>>
>>51280539
try
export SWT_GTK3 = 0
>>
>>51280455
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
>>
>>51280681
Thanks, any idea for the font size?
>>
>>51280535
installing packages as devs compile them
>>
>>51280183
Anyone?
>>
Does tlp just werk after you install it? Do you have to run it once and then it just runs at boot every time?
>>
>>51279499
LaTeX
>>
>>51281045
Don't forget R
>>
I broke my fedora install yesterday on my upgrade to 4.2.5 from 4.2.3. I tried to reboot and it said it had to install some packages first but I didnt have my charger and I was low battery so I restarted anyway. Upon boot it goes into emergency mode and says radeon init failed. Anyone know how to fix?

I'm running a Samsung ativ book 8 from 2013.
>>
>>51280472
Well, have you enough memory? You can go around and find unwanted daemons, and disable them, but this will probably not make tha much of a difference. You can get used to it, disable some of the fancy graphics stuff in KDE, or maybe install something different that is a little lighter on your computer.

Otherwise, you might be able to physically upgrade your system.

>>51279499
LaTeX may sound like a silly prank suggestion, but, really, it is good. I have been annoyed by other Free office tools, and I must say that LaTeX is pretty fantastic by comparison. It takes some getting used to, but once you do. . .

Of course, if you are looking for spreadsheets, my experience is less. I use sc, but my use of spreadsheets is undoubtably amatuerish at best.
>>
I've been using arch for quite some time now, but I want to try something new now
I want to install opensuse as a virtual machine on my laptop
Should I use Tumbleweed or the Leap version?
I'm very used to rolling release distros after using arch for so long. How good is the update process on non rolling release distributions, I remember times where it gave less problems just installing the new version if one comes out.
Is this still the case?

tl;dr: openSUSE Tumbleweed or Leap?
>>
>>51281132
I should clarify. It said that before I restart I should let it finish installing the packages (I'm assuming because it was a kernal upgrade so it had to stop most of the services to upgrade), but it said not to do this on reserve battery power, and it gave me the option to restart without installing the updates. I would assume the update packages are still downloaded, but is there a way to install them from recovery? Would it be easier to reinstall? There's not really any data I care about.
>>
>>51281168
I have a 2gb amd card with 8gb of ram and a core i7 @ 3.6ghz

It should not lag

fglrx-updates are installed and I have enabled tear free desktop
>>
>>51280775
General->Appearances->Colors and fonts

If it doesn't work (it happens), there is a CSS somewhere for the UI
>>
>>51281289
Leap, last time i checked maintaining modules was a pain in the ass in tumbleweed.
>>
>>51281304
Have you tried the free amd drivers?
In my experience fglrx is shit and only good if you play games
>>
>>51281440
ok thanks for your opinion, I think I'm trying Leap then, it sounds interesting, too
>>
>>51281301
Boot-repair can fix a lot of issues when you can't boot. It fixes everything automatically.
In your case if it doesn't work you can try to chroot into the system and fix what have to be fixed

Or you can reinstall.
>>
>>51281304
Try the open source drivers. They are more stable.
>>
>>51281024
Anyone know?
>>
I have a laptop setup with a 250 SSD and a 320 HDD, what partition scheme would you guys suggest?
Installing Archlinux btw
>>
I have a laptop that I want to use a Linux server

When I have Debian installed and I shut the lid, the laptop stays on (which is what I want)

When I do the same with Ubuntu, it shuts off or goes to sleep, how do I avoid this happening with the lid closed?
>>
>upgrade to cinnamon 2.8
>completely fucked, no applets load
Well that sucked.
>>
>>51281725
One partition, everything in /
There's no need to split everything up.
>>
>>51281704
You tell us dude. Did you install it as a service? What's the output of a check to see its status? Are you running a systemd init distro? Did it run automatically when you turned off and turned on your laptop?
>>
>>51281867
I installed it, but I don't think I did anything special to install it as a service. Yes I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 so systemd.

I don't even know how to check its status, sorry I will google it now. I don't even know if it ran automatically at boot but I guess I'm gonna find out now.
>>
>>51281950
Oh cool so it's enabled. I did run a 'sudo tlp start'
But i didn't need to install it as a service, it seems to have done that itself
>>
>>51281950
try
systemctl status tlp

systemctl <command> <service> is basic stuff to work with systemd. You can enable it, start, stop, disable, etc. It might be set up so that bash-completions will tab complete systemctl (and other systemd) commands for you
>>
>>51282121
% systemctl        
zsh: do you wish to see all 162 possibilities (55 lines)?

sure!
% systemctl cancel
completing systemctl command
cancel -- Cancel all, one, or more jobs
cat -- Show the source unit files and drop-in
daemon-reexec -- Reexecute systemd manager
daemon-reload -- Reload systemd manager configuration
default -- Enter system default mode
delete -- Remove one or more snapshots
disable -- Disable one or more unit files
edit -- Edit one or more unit files
emergency -- Enter system emergency mode
enable -- Enable one or more unit files
exit -- Ask for user instance termination
get-default -- Query the default target
halt -- Shut down and halt the system
help -- Show documentation for specified units
hibernate -- Hibernate the system
hybrid-sleep -- Hibernate and suspend the system
is-active -- Check whether units are active
is-enabled -- Check whether unit files are enabled
is-failed -- Check whether units are failed
isolate -- Start one unit and stop all others
is-system-running -- Query overall status of the system
kexec -- Shut down and reboot the system with k
>>
>>51264804
Finally got Arch, got everything running and it's great so far. I want to start programing, but i have no idea which language i should take. Any ideas or some advice for me?
>>
>>51282202
You got quite a few choices, what do you think you are going to be doing with it?
>>
File: 1437782963320s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1437782963320s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>51281301
So you update just your kernel? How about kernel-headers? Did you update using dnf, or compile yourself?

>radeon init
From what little you've stated, it would appear just your video is fukd. At boot-up, there should be an option to boot to the old kernel. That's IF you updated using dnf.

Otherwise this >>51281654
>>
How can I legally run Office 365 on Linux? I need it for work and my employer makes it available.

It's not supported by Wine, and I don't own a copy of Windows to install on a virtual machine.
>>
>>51267352
I use xubuntu on the multi touch version of x220 tablet and it works right out of the box.
>>
>>51282375
Just general programming I guess, that would've been my next question. Probably write some usefull programs for network stuff or everyday life
>>
>>51282421
>legally
Not possible.
>>
>>51282481
I'd recommend something like Python, C++, C# or Java for that. Go ask /dpt/, but wait until a new thread is made, they're in the middle of some shitflinging right now
>>
>>51282481
try C
it's pretty fun, even
you'll always know what's going on in your program, no spaghetti craziness like java where you can write a full game without knowing what an integer is
>>
>>51282421
either go to a school and get a free windows license and use it in a virtual machine or use the web versions
wine shouldn't be illegal but if it doesnt work then i guess it just doesn't
>>
>>51282564
Thanks, just one thing: only C? or C++, C# and all the other variants. Which one should i go with, or what are the differents?
>>
>>51282564
>you'll always know what's going on in your program
No
>>
>>51282202
Well, you've got Arch so I'd say start with shell scripting. Then C if you want to learn.

But mostly this >>51282559
>Go ask /dpt/
>>
Hey guys, I wrote this script that plays tunes, could you try it out and tell me if it works on your system?

https://d.maxfile.ro/mbglvosnrr.tar.gz

Extract to a folder, then open one of the txt files with songplayer.sh, like './songplayer.sh pesong.txt'

By the way, there's no malicious code in it.
>>
>>51282630
not if you copy paste you faggot
>>51282615
start with C, if you know you need C++, use C++
>>
>>51282635
>By the way, there's no malicious code in it.
Honestly, I swear
>>
File: 1444177768622.jpg (10 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
1444177768622.jpg
10 KB, 234x250
Hey /g/uys, Im in serious trouble, need help to configure my initramfs on arch for cryptsetup.
I am booting from a flash drive, which has said initramfs on it. I should be able to choose between my bootlable encrypted containers containing arch linuxes and then It should ask me for the password. Now how the fuck do I do this on current version of dm-crypt with LUKS?
Thanks alot
>>
I need to setup a distro just for coding and web design (java, node, go, C and some front end shit javascript stuff).
Which distro should I use? I'd like to have something stable (no Arch and friends) but not too outdated. Xubuntu?
>>
>>51282701
If all you do is writing C, you don't really know what's going on in your program.
Cause your program is whatever the compiler decides to make out of your C code.
>>
>>51282907
Read the wiki
>>
>>51283183
which part exactly? Im not that good yet, and I didnt find a page with specific instrucions for that
>>
>>51282907
This shit is seamless in Xubuntu, maybe you should stop using a shit distro for once
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-10_13-43-08.png (25 KB, 794x521) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-10_13-43-08.png
25 KB, 794x521
Mono, why
>>
>>51283260
cmon its my choice, i want to have full control over my system. Can anyone help me / redirect me to a page?
>>
>>51281725
My arch partition is only ~150GB with games installed, so I would do
/boot
/
/home
in the SSD, and use the HDD as a backup drive, or to store stuff I don't need to access everytime (music, movies, pictures...)
>>
>>51283269
Because you installed something that has it has a dependency.
>>
>>51283376
I was talking moreso about the certificates
It's looks like that's something mono just started doing recently when installed on Arch
>>
>>51282202
You really need to have an idea of programs if you want us to give you advices on which language to learn.
I would recommend you C. It will teach you how things work. Just use the terminal, nothing else, learn how to use gcc, create makefiles, etc.
>>
Does a Linux DNS cache exist? Or will I just have to update the hosts every time my IP changes

My DNS server only lets me have 750k queries. While that is a lot, I plan on doing a lot of telemetry across all of my devices. Everything from personal storage to logs to passwords.
>>
Any reason why my hibernate won't work properly?

If I select hibernate or do it through the terminal, the screen will turn off, but they keyboard light will stay lit (pc still on). Then I have to manually hold the power button to kill it. But when I turn on the pc again, it resumes from hibernation flawlessly.

In other words, hibernate works but it won't shut down by itself.

Running Ubuntu 15.10.
>>
>>51283000
you should desu if you're not incompetent
of course you don't know where exactly every bit goes but you will understand why your program is working
>>
>>51283549
What happens when you type in pm-hibernate into the terminal?
>>
>>51283573

Exactly what I descriebd in my second paragraph. Screen flashes and gors black, pc becomes unresponsive and the keyboard stays lit. Then have to manually turn off with physical power button, but it resumes perfectly when powering on again.
>>
>>51282907
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#The_encrypt_hook_and_multiple_disks
>>
>>51283594
I meant if it shows any error messages.
>>
Is it possible to install linux onto my usb drive, and if so how do I do it without accidentally erasing all my data on my computer
>>
>>51283549
Show hibernate log
>>
>>51283705
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65844
>>
>>51283630

Do you mean running it without sudo? It only tells me to run with root. If I do run with sudo as above mentioned, nothing shows up before screen black.
>>
>>51283705
Use porteus or puppy or slitaz, they are meant specifically for this purpose, I recommend the first.
As for not accidentally wiping data, make sure you choose the right one to install on.
>>
>>51283743
>>51283753
Thanks
>>
>>51278902
Generally it's better to use unlink instead of rm to remove links. Saves you the trouble of panicking over whether you've removed the link or the file/folder itself.
>>
>>51278902
You used -r, what did you expect?
>>
>>51283879
Can you read?
>>
Do I need both tlp and powertop?
>>
>>51283925
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/3s2fyt/there_are_so_many_power_management_tools_lmt_tlp/
>>
>>51283913
Can you? Recursive.
rm doesn't delete the original linked directory if you don't use the -r option. Using it with -f as well, if you don't understand it fully, is just silly.
>>
>>51283983
Thanks but would have taken less effort to type no
>>
>>51283630
>>51283728

http://pastebin.com/sVxKnmRX
>>
>>51284015
but thats not the answer now is it?
and would not less effort be just not answering instead of complaining?
>>
>>51280661
>>51280681
>>51281982
>>51283744
>sudo

Anon isn't even in the sudoers file.

This incident will be reported.
>>
>>51283984
It's easy to get confused when dealing with symlinks.
>>
http://blog.quarkslab.com/a-glimpse-of-ext4-filesystem-level-encryption.html

Does this mean dm-crypt/LUKS is essentially depreciated?
>>
>>51284106
Yes, it is and it's easy to destroy your system when using options you don't understand. Options shouldn't be used without understanding what they do.
>>
>>51283984
You should have just said 'no'. The OP pretty clearly stated that the command wouldn't work without -r, because he included the trailing /
>>
I heard that Fedora doesn't install correctly on computers with AMD hardware. Would another RPH-based distro, like openSUSE, experience the same problems?
>>
>>51284131
lewd
>>
>>51280126
>2020
>all main distros have adopted systemd or disbanded
>systemd has subsumed over the bootloader, most of the kernel, and the GNU utilities (in a busybox-like fashion)
>Poettering demands RMS and Linus Torvalds to step down and takes over total control of what is henceforth known as "systemd/Lennarx"

Act now if you don't want the above to become actual reality. Boycott systemd whereever you can. It's not over, you don't have to adopt the abomination just because others shortsightedly and nonchalantly have.
>>
>>51284118
The right word is depreCAted. And no
>>
>>51284169
>systemd/Lennarx
Only freetards would come up with a name like that.
>>
>>51284170
>taking the b8
And why? If filesystem level encryption becomes a thing, why do we need application level again? Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand.
>>
>>51280126
systemd is as good to Linux as "refugees" are to Europe. Either ill needs a "saviour" such as this.
>>
>>51284207
>dm-crypt/LUKS
>apllication level
>>
>>51284205
Such a name is an obvious hyperbole by itself, but unfortunately it quite accurately reflects what things are headed towards.
>>
>>51284216
>the mask dropped again
go the fuck back to /pol/
>>
File: rTXSQ.jpg (58 KB, 590x536) Image search: [Google]
rTXSQ.jpg
58 KB, 590x536
>>51264804
Can I get away with using KDE on a low-end laptop, or should I use something lighter?

Follow up: assuming the latter, should I use Cinnamon, Xfce, or Enlightenment? Thanks.
>>
>>51284258
As I said, I'm stupid, so maybe you know better.
>>
>>51284207
And I am typing from my fully encrypted disk that uses dm-crypt. You can now stick encrypted ext4 filesystems on a dm-crypted lvm disk and have it both ways.

They are different. Both probably will have a place in the world. Dm-crypt of course can keep working with any filesystem you throw at it (as far as I know), so personally I am going to stick with it for the time being.
>>
>>51280472
Graphic lag might be caused by a lot of things.
It could be the graphical driver trial and error with different ones and seeing the effect is a slow process and no guarantees that it will get better.
It could be some graphical effect that doesn't agree with your setup, that is easy to disable.
You can also change the compositor settings which drastically change the experience.
My experience with kde is that if you disable blur and use a better resize setting, then it is as fast as any window manager.
There was a good guide for kde4
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1889034
But a lot of things have changed since then and things get better all the time.
>>
>>51284265
Oh, so being sceptical of the "refugees" is disallowed anywhere but on /pol/?
>>
>>51284131
Again, if you don't know how to use a command then you probably should read up on it a bit. Also, it gave him fair warning of what it was intending to do if forced.
>>
>>51284324
Yes, we get enough tech politics here between even Linux and BSD let alone between Windows and everyone else, don't need geopolitics added to the mix, now fuck off
>>
>>51284151
>doesn't install correctly on computers with AMD hardware
I could install it on my computer with AMD CPU and GPU
>>
>>51284283
depends on what you mean by low end.
I use kde on my daily driver which is an x220 with 4gb RAM.
I don't have troubles with the memory on the machine. But expect that it would use about 300mb.
>>
>>51284349
Which version? Any problems with Catalyst, or do you use Fedora's drivers?
>>
how is opensuse compared to ubuntu? im looking for stable distro but with more recenet software than ubuntu but i dont want arch level of blending, i aalso love kde,any recommendations?
>>
>>51280082
Stallman hates it so I do to.
>>
>>51284676
Open suse sounds fine for you. You might want to consider fedora as well.
>>
This one time that I need the infographic it isn't used as OP image...

So let me ask, which VM host do you guys recommend? I was going to look for the one that is not VirtualBox because it crashes all the time
>>
>>51284676
ubuntu is more "home user" friendly.
opensuse is "enterprise user" friendly.
Opensuse makes a great KDE experience but it takes some getting use to learning their way of doing things.
But when you learn, it will get better.
I personally prefer chakra as my kde distribution.
>>
>>51284774
>because it crashes all the time
Umm no it doesn't
>>
How do Illustrator and InDesign work on Linux?

Even older versions than CC would do the job. I'm thinking of switching (again, only this time I'm not sure which distro to put there) but it would be neat if I could use em there.
>>
>>51284791
Yes I probably screwed up the config somewhere desu
Just wanted to see if it was config problem or I fucked up the installation
>>
File: stall.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
stall.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>51284817
>using nonfree software
>>
>>51284426
fedora 22. I don't remember which drivers was used (actually I didn't care, it was more to try fedora and see if I liked it or not. I was searching for a good distribution)

>>51284774
>This one time that I need the infographic it isn't used as OP image...
this infographic is trash.
>>
>>51281725

Not him but, I got a Windows 10 desktop, a 250GB SSD and a 1T HDD.

I want to dual boot. Do I do 30 GB / on SSD and 250GB for /home on HDD? I'm too much of a gamer so I need SSD for performance in games, using more than 50GB for Linux on the SSD is out of the question.
>>
>>51281725
You want to use all of it for Arch?
You could put /boot as ext2, SWAP and / as your choice in the SSD and /home in the HDD
>>
>>51284676
You sound like the perfect user for OpenSUSE.
>>
>tfw every distro has that one flaw that annoys you
>tfw no distro with all the good and none of the bad
I really should make my own, like that guy did with Crunchbang
>>
>>51285700
So we can have another which has one major flaw and does nothing fundamentally different.
>>
>>51285761
All flaws are subjective, it would be good for me but certainly flawed for someone else.
>>
>>51284331
font name pls
>>
>>51268888
What do these settings do?
>>
>>51285822
termsyn
>xft:termsyn:pixelsize=13
>>
desu senpai how do i stop this
>>
>>51285700
I use Arch
what flaw am I suppose to face?
>>
>>51285948
Having to fix Xorg every time your system boots
>>
>>51285942
Also, am I safe if I don't use a root password? Is there any way to bypass that?
>>
>>51285942
Just don't fail your password for root, Michael

:^)
>>
>>51285964
But anon, I have never ever did that in my life

and Ive been on hd3870, gtx560ti, r9 290 and now skylake integrated as well. Thats just I am assuming people are fixing xorg with some drivers update or something?
>>
>>51285976
For a start, disable root login from ssh.
Also, strong passwords and make sure that your username isn't easily guessable.
Using a non-standard port will deter people who are just scanning the internet randomly but not determined attackers.
>>
>>51286025
It was just a /g/ay meme, but honestly the reason I don't use Arch is that I'm afraid that I might end up locked out of my computer due to some shitty update that fucks everything up, I don't want to waste time fixing shit.
>>
>>51285942
Use a blocklist and change your ssh port nigger.
>>
>>51286060
The whole Arch breaking and timesinking is just another maymay, sure it's complicated but it doesn't break, at least not how the maymays paint it.
As long as you read the news before upgrading everything should be fine.
>>
>>51286060
Not the anon you responded to, but I'm going to paraphrase what you just said.
I'm scared for no real reason because I have no real skills
>>
>>51286060
Stay away from the testing repo and only update once a week and that will be extremely unlikely. Even if it does, getting to terminal and downgrading a package is easy.
>>
>>51285987
thanks senpai
But in the meanwhile. Is there any way to stop chinese bots from guessing my non existent root password? Is there a program to block people who fail ssh more than ten times?

>>51286039
I'm not worried about them guessing the password. My password is 8 random words from a list of 7776 words. It's just annoying. But thaaanks

>>51286079
xthx
>>
Does anyone know how I can get the touchscreen on my new x200t to work on BunsenLabs? I am a complete newb to wacom tablets, I installed the wacom package on synaptic but it still isn't working.
>>
>>51286112
>Is there a program to block people who fail ssh more than ten times?
Not him but fail2ban comes to mind.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.