[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KDE > XFCE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 4
File: 1421524693294.jpg (23 KB, 521x297) Image search: [Google]
1421524693294.jpg
23 KB, 521x297
Name one reason why XFCE is better than KDE (aside from being more resource-efficient).
>>
>>51262962
Doesn't name everything starting with a K.
>>
>>51262962
Logo doesn't look like a wheelchair.
>>
>>51263053
Why's that a bad thing?
>accepts cute mouse
>refuses to accept cute naming scheme

>>51263059
turbo kek
>>
>>51263053
>implying you don't want to be part of the Kardashians
>>
>>51263053
That's bullKrap.
>>
>>51262962
xfce is cuter
>>
better customization, less bloat
>>
>>51262962
It's a lot more responsive.
>>
>>51262962
It doesn't look like ass.
>>
>>51263175
>baseless claim

>>51263203
>>51263168
>>51263147
>opinions nobody asked for
>>
>>51262962
KDE is harmful software, consider less shitty alternatives.
>>
>>51263053
The thing is XFCE doesn't have their own software suite. But I think it's pretty cool that all of their applications start with a k. It's a nice reminder of how advanced and mature KDE is.
>>
>>51262962
Trinity > mate > KDE > Hawaii > LXDE > LXQt > XFCE > enlightenment
Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>51263254
wrong.
no DE > shit > all DEs
>>
>>51263269
>0 software
>everything is inconsistent
>everything is broken
>need to manually download 500 packages to have 1/10th the features of a DE (these 500 packages also take 10x the resources as the whole DE to run)
Any DE > garbage > shit > no DE.
>>
>>51263168
>anything beside trinity
>better customization than KDE
b8/8.
>>
It's really the only reason it's used more...

KDE is nice for it's features and looks pretty good, Xfce looks like an xp clone trying to be 2015, but its better on the resources and for some people that matters more than the gradients and prettiness. It really is just a matter of choice

Also, gnome is good too, so is cinnamon and so is mate.
>>
>>51263286
Trinity is nothing more than a deprecated version of KDE that someone renamed. 0/10 made me respond
>>
>>51263230
bash is harmful as well.

use rc.
>>
>>51263333
The devil must have given you these quads for the fantastic lie you just devised.

Trinity is mostly KDE 3.5.11, but with a good amount of changes. It has ports of KDE4 programs, and everything works on top of tqt instead of qt3. Tqt exposes an interface to qt that is version-independent so that qt5 support is possible by simply changing tqt instead of anything else in the system. For example, there's already a qt4 backend for tqt. It also includes things like the opensuse kickoff menu and a revamped classic menu that includes a search tab and most recently or most frequently used programs. Does KDE4+ even support ASK?

Eitherway, the point is that with every version, KDE has removed customizability and features from KDE while making it more windows-like and bloated.
Trinity has almost every KDE4+ feature, but remains extremely light, fast, and customizable.
>>
>>51263321
>Also, gnome is good too
no, gnome is the worst DE i've ever used, it just looks good
>>
>>51263380
There were licensing problems with QT in the past. I assume you just don't care about your freedom.
>>
I've only ever used gnome and xfce, what's so good about kde?
>>
>>51263501
I'm a big fan of the terrible font rendering, screentearing and how much ram it eats.
>>
XFCE doesn't look like a cheap windows metro clone
>>
>>51263501
It's fully free and has a lot of good applications. Whether you like the way it looks and functions is for you to decide.
>>
openbox is the only correct answer.
Proof me wrong

>pro tip, you can't
>>
>>51263515
>opinion
>non-issue
>non-issue
Come on son
>>
>>51263515
The entire base system uses about 240 MB.
Ignorant fuck
>>
>>51263538
>screentearing is a non-issue
jesus kdetards are really this delusional

>>51263546
thank you for proving my point.
>>
>>51263439
>being this retarded
>>
>>51263558
It's only an issue if you have a severe mental disability like yourself and your mother.

Do you just sit there moving windows around and crying all day?
>>
>>51263558
Show me the ram usage of your full desktop environment please.
>>
>>51263562
>i don't know much about this subject so I'll just post some stupid remark
>>
File: 8119181c8192006aeaf42de6afe6e21f.jpg (136 KB, 1391x1079) Image search: [Google]
8119181c8192006aeaf42de6afe6e21f.jpg
136 KB, 1391x1079
KDE users are faggots

pic related
>>
>>51263658
You took a pic of yourself in the mirror? D'aww.
>>
>>51263669
literally worse comeback in history

not to mention being ignorant on recent shows and shit that has been all over /g/ for the past months
>>
>>51263690
I know, and I do know what it is from. It's shit, by the way. It does amuse me how insecure you are, though.
>>
>>51262962
>Name a reason why KDE isn't better than XFCE
>Other than the reasons that people use XFCE, of course.

>>51263218
>hurr durr those reasons don't count because I need to rationalize my DE
>Even though the thread asks about it

>>51263269
Unless you're counting a window manager as not a DE
>I use terminal for everything
>>
>>51263868
>Other than the reasons that people use XFCE, of course.
There are people whose PCs aren't shit and who don't care about that.
>>
>>51263868
butthurt xfce apologist detected.
>>
>>51263868
Unless you're using a low-end early 2007 device, the difference in resource usage between kde and xfce is insignificant.
>>
>>51263053
Reminds me of apple 'iEverything' bullshit
>>
File: received_10153249903023379.jpg (72 KB, 1876x1052) Image search: [Google]
received_10153249903023379.jpg
72 KB, 1876x1052
>>51263868
>hurr durr etc
>>
>>51263935
On GNU, it's useful because it lets you know at a glance whether or not you're using one of the inbuilt programs, and there is no name conflict. Conversely, it tells you if the program depends on KDE stuff or not, which is useful pre-installation.
>>
Problems with KDE:
Because KDE looks like it was designed by someone with severe sight problems.
KDE programs don't mix well with non KDE ones.
KDE programs are much more unstable than their non KDE counterparts.
KDE originally went against freedom.
As it has a smaller user-base, KDE typically has packaging problems in popular distros which go unsolved for longer.
Although less politically controversial than GNOME 2>3, the switch from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5 has been rather messy technically.

Good things about KDE:
It's consistently average. Nothing is truly terrible-terrible.
Localisation is a fuckload better than any GTK stuff (not the actual localisations, but how it works).
It themes consistantly, and a single set of themes will theme every KDE program to look similar.
>>
>>51264006
>opinion
>they don't need to mix
>citation needed
>nobody cares
>citation needed
>agreed
>>
>Sledgehammer > normal hammer
>>
>>51264006
Oh shit, I forgot this:
>if the program depends on KDE stuff or not

KDE stuff takes an 'all or nothing' approach to dependencies.
>install kate or k3b
>you have to install the following dependencies: kpatience, konqueror, plasma, kalculator, kocksinmyanus, kumonmybelly, /k/ - Weapons, libkunt, libkoala, libkrokodil, libkinggustaf, libkde, libboypukki, kzxczczczxczccz-polish-dev, ffmkeg
>downloads needed: 5800gb
>disc space needed: 18tb
>>
>>51264006
>KDE programs are much more unstable than their non KDE counterparts.
>KDE typically has packaging problems in popular distros which go unsolved for longer.
>the switch from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5 has been rather messy technically.
Haven't seen that much bullshit in a single post in a long time!
>>
>>51264036
>citation needed
I used KDE exclusively until about recently, and continue to use it on my secondary machine.
At one point you couldn't open any of the games (without running them from the terminal) on Debian Stable, and it stayed that way for almost six months.

I've since for the most part switched to Gnome 3.
Their early versions were a little too new wave for my tastes, but when 3.16 came out in March, I think they really came into their own, technically and artistically. The whole environment has a clear, crisp feel, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the programs a big boost. It's been compared to OS X, but I think Gnome has a far more efficient, and modular operation.
>>
>>51264044
>KDE stuff takes an 'all or nothing' approach to dependencies.
Only up to KDE4.
>>
>>51264106
>using a broken distro means the software is broken
>X is a part of KDE gais pls respond
LOL
>>
>>51264120
It was a change in a KDE library that most of them shared.
Some joker had broken it, so that the programs could only be run from outside plasma (the terminal was sufficient separation).
If you really want it so badly, I can find the messages sent to the mailing list.
>>
xfce doesn't use the mega bloat of Qt

also more resource-efficient
>>
KDE is the only linux DE that both consistently honors user customization and has several settings.
>>
>>51264147
Then do it, shill.
>>
>>51262962
1.GTK+ was always free
2.It doesn't run on windows natively
3.No annoying cashew
4.Retro/Minimalist looks are much easier to get right
5.Way more stable
>>
>>51264197
>shill
Yes, because someone would shill for a certain piece of free software over another (when they aren't involved in development and have no way to benefit from doing so).
You can use whatever you like, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I wasn't the one that said "name one reason why x isn't better than y".

As for the mailing list, I've been subscribed since 2007 (shortly after I started using KDE and GNU/Linux), and I can't remember the specific package name, so this could take a while. I expect you'll be patient.
>>
I've only ever used XFCE since switching to Linux. I've been happy with it. Any particular reason why I would want to try another DE?
>>
>>51262962
The entire reason why people use xfce is because it's resource efficient, its kinda sad how in order to justify kde you have to compare it to a de without its major selling point
But you know what they say, old habits die hard
>>
>>51264475
In my experience no other DE offers a nicer balance between being functional, customizable & fairly light on resources.

The only place to go from xfce is just using with a wm. Note, liking anime is a requirement for this.
>>
>>51264475
Only valid reason is GTK3/wayland. I personally don't give a shit.
>>
>>51262962

>still using some bloated DE made by some retarded keks who think they can into design.

Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Unity, Cinnamon, Mate, you name it are all buggy, slow bloatet shit. Why not just use i3 and notice that all those "fully featured" DEs have nothing more to offer...
>>
Why is that mouse farting on that K?
>>
I actually like the direction kde 5 is going. Better wayland capabilities, better performance, better design/theming, better power comsumption compared to other DEs (gnome 3), better features, etc... it's just too unstable in its current state. We'll see in future releases how will it go, i'm hoping for the best.
>>
look how cute xfce's logo is
look how ugly kde's logo is
>>
>>51263175
>It's a lot more responsive.

This. Also themeing is much easier, and the whole KDE and dolphin UI is a cluttered clusterfuck of bloat.
>>
>>51262962
It's not unstable.
>>
KDE takes too long to start, even on an SSD
XFCE starts literally in less than a second
>>
KDE is literally, L I T E R A L L Y the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
>>
Because it allows me to use a deprecated version of a shitty toolkit.
>>
>>51262962
xfce programs don't usually have billions of dependencies (I haven't encountered a single one but don't want to assume). therefore, they're better for someone using no DE

and thunar is nice
>>
>>51263168
That's one of the reasons I've always preferred XFCE. Lately though I've been messing around with EMs, particularly Fluxbox and PekWM, and it's making me realize that XFCE is a lot more bloated than it needs to be.

Using EMs like that also gives you near total control over how your desktop looks and behaves too.

So far Cairo-dock is the only dock/panel I've messed with. It's very customizable itself but it's not exactly to my liking. Mainly because I don't really care for docks, and would prefer just a simple, basic panel. It does look and behave nicely though, it's just overkill for my preferences, and for what it is, it's a bit bloated. I intend to try out Tint next. It sounds more like what I'm looking for I think.
>>
>>51262962
>NAME ONE REASON EXCEPT THESE REASONS I ARBITRARILY REJECT
No.
>>
>>51266078
see >>51263922
>>
>>51266104
There are handful of reasons in this thread that have been arbitrarily rejected.
>>
>>51265757
Really? Haven't you seen your mother lately?
>>
>>51263053
The K thing is long time gone senpai. Software has been slowly getting renamed. Now not even the desktop environment is called kde, it's plasma.
>>
>>51266213
It's literally called KDE Plasma you moron.
>>
>>51263286
I've heard about security concerns about trinity, since it is so ancient now, do you know what's that about? I miss kde3 tbqh
>>
>>51262962
It doesn't look like a toddler designed it
>>
>>51263254
>prove someons personal opinion wrong

This is proof that the public school system is completely failing kids these days.
>>
>>51263391
Gnome serves a purpose though. It's existence is why Unity isn't the worst DE ever, so the 'developers' at Canonical probably appreciate it.
>>
bloated
looks like shit
not as customizable
>>
>>51262962
XFCE is a decent DE. Far from perfect, but still decent.
KDE is a huge piece of shit, hands down the worst DE.
>>
>>51267200
>worst DE
what about gnome/unity?
>>
>>51267255
They're shit but still way better than KDE.
>>
Fuck me people really hate KDE. Is it just bloat (or "bloat") or did it rape someone's mother?
>>
>>51267292
How are they in any way better than KDE?
>>
>>51267294
I posted quite negatively ITT.
I actually use and enjoy KDE though.

OP specifically asked for it's flaws, so we gave them.
Everything ever made has flaws, just like everything ever made has benefits.
>>
>>51267866
Fair point
>>
>>51264465
>I can give proof if you want!
>do it!
>I can't do it!
LMAO shill!
>>
>>51265858
Thunar is garbage. It probes the entire FS all the time while open.
>>
>>51266280
No idea, haven't seen any such claims except a random lwn post that got BTFO. Security has been one of the areas they've worked on, though, but obviously, whether it's secure or not is another story.

Though ASK is kool.
>>
>>51268445
What?
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.