[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly is each one of these for? Green for speakers/headphones,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: audio.jpg (36 KB, 615x227) Image search: [Google]
audio.jpg
36 KB, 615x227
So what exactly is each one of these for?

Green for speakers/headphones, pink for microphone, what else?
>>
>>51259631
surround sound and woofer
>>
4 for 7.1 systems, 1 microphone, 1 idk
>>
>>51259631
Huh, I dunno. Couldn't be a 5.1 onboard, right? Nah, couldn't be. It's probably just there to make you angry when you plug the cable into the wrong ports.
>>
>>51259631
5.1 / 7.1 audio
one for subwoofer
one for rear speakers
one for center/side speakers
>>
>>51259656
>>51259665
>>51259670
Can I run stereo speakers and headphones from it without having to unplug every time?
>>
>>51259685
No. Unless you plug in a stereo headphone or speaker in EVERY port (yes, even the mic port).
>>
Each colour is for transmitting different frequencies of sound to a speaker system
White for frequencies encapsulating folk music
Black for post hip-hop genres
Yellow for Korean Pop
Green for environmentalist political campaign music
Blue for ambient ocean music
And obliviously red for the Microphone input
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 734x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37 KB, 734x558
>>51259631
Found a graph with details
>>
>>51259692
What will happen in that case?
>>
>>51259631
Almost forgot that stuff like 5/7.1 still exists. It's really weird how manufacturers think that ports for 7.1 systems are something to include in even entry level mainboards, but not an even half decent DAC.
>>
>>51259631
One is usually audio input, besides the microphone. Like, if you have stereo microphone, or you jack in an other device's audio
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (64 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
64 KB, 404x404
>>51259704
>>
>>51259708
What's line in? I assume out means you get the audio into your device from the pc
>>
>>51259709
Only the cable in the green port will receive the signal, since the system is checking if every port has been occupied. If it detects generic stereo speakers on all outputs, it will default to transmitting over the green port.
>>
>>51259710
>but not an even half decent DAC.
But they do include that... you actually bought a DAC?
>>
File: 1388381922925.gif (991 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1388381922925.gif
991 KB, 320x240
>>51259704
>>
>>51259734
What does that help me in achieving what I said?

Also how do front panel ports work? Do they override the rear panel? Like if I plug headphones to the front headphone port or a microphone to the front mic
>>
>>51259724
Line in is a non-amplified audio signal from another audio device. Mics need amped input or else they'll be almost inaudible, but if you want to route sound from an audio source, you want a straight signal at 0db gain.
>>
>>51259724
Line out is line level audio to an amp/speaker/headphones
Line in is line level audio being fed to the computer
>>
>>51259750
>What does that help me in achieving what I said?
You asked how to make the green port submit sound without having to replug it every time. I answered.

And front panels are driven by a seperate sound card, since they have fewer outputs than the rear ports.
>>
Left Side:
>Subwoofer/Center Out
>Rear Stereo Out (5.1/7.1)
>Middle Stereo Out (7.1)
Right Side:
>Stereo Line In
>Stereo Speakers/Headphones/Line Out
>Microphone
>>
>>51259765
I asked if it's possible to have both headphones and speakers connected and possibly transmitting sound at the same time

But also being able to mute each individually

Is that possible?
>>
>>51259685
Depends on the drivers/board.
I can easily remap my laptop's mic port to act like a stereo output.
I can't do the same in my desktop.
>>
>>51259775
Can you use the 7.1 stuff for headphones or speakers without having it all filled up? Or do you have to have it all?
>>
>>51259736
No idea how things are currently, as I haven't bought a mainboard for many years, but back then, every fucking cheap mainboard had ports for 5.1 or even 7.1, but the crappiest DAC imaginable. As if even 5% of all people who buy those mainboards could legitimately put a correctly aligned 7.1 system in their rooms. The priorities are just crazy.

>>51259753
Both are amplified, the microphone just has way higher impedance, thus needs more amplification.
>>
>>51259778
Depends on the mobo/sound card. Some sound cards offer headphone amplification only either to the front of back with a switch.
>>
>>51259802
>The priorities are just crazy.
Nah, it's called merchandising, people (lowest common denominator) don't know what the fuck a DAC is, but they have heard about THE DOLBY 9.1 that is used for their favourite movies starring Vin Diesel.
>>
>>51259798
fuck if i know. probably, considering i know people who would love just a stereo + sub setup and other combinations. i guess it would depend on the hardware/software of the onboard audio to decide
>>
>>51259847
>>51259806
So if I got a headphone amp + headphones + 2 speakers could I connect them to this or would I have to unplug the speakers every time I wanna use the amp + headphones?
>>
>>51259631
what hardware does support using all those ports? i have never seen anyone using the other ports..
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.