[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reccomend me a Distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: url.jpg (203 KB, 1500x1275) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
203 KB, 1500x1275
Salutations /g/entoomen, i recently acquired one of these HP Stream 13 laptops, and wish to replace Windows 10 with a Distribution of Linux. I don't care much for Ubuntu or Arch, and Gentoo is just a meme at this point. Would /g/ be so kind as to recommend a distro for me?
>>
>>51259492

Nizzo, is that you ?
>>
I dont know what HP was doing trying to market this to normies

after win 10 and office the thing has no HD space left at all
its really funny to see just how many of them we get returned.
>>
>>51259492
If you need to ask.
Get a mac.
>>
>>51295937

I have a mac, acquired this as a secondary laptop, hate windows.
>>
>>51259492
Go with Mint
And choose the DE suits you best.
>>
Linux Mint

/thread
>>
>>51259536
32gb hdd even after win10 install it will almost cap out and capping out hdd is not really that good for performance probably lags like shit
>>
>>51259492
>No Arch
>Gentoo is a meme

Slackware
>>
>>51260040
the only right answer
>>
Ubuntu sucks. Does your disdain for Ubuntu include derivatives?

Mint is for babbys, Lubuntu is pretty good.

If you've got a smug streak you could try one of the BSD's
>>
File: woofus.png (14 KB, 365x518) Image search: [Google]
woofus.png
14 KB, 365x518
With something like this machine, you might be best off with ubuntu regardless of your like or dislike for it. Check the BIOS / UEFI settings for something called compatibility mode, legacy mode, or csm. Enable it if you find it and disable uefi if you can. If that's not an options and you're running 32 bit windows, you're probably fucked and fedlet is the only distro that will boot with no modification and some things won't work (wifi). If you're running 64 bit windows, you're in a much better situation but may still have issues.

Download rufus, ubuntu (as a test), and write to a usb stick using the gpt options (pic related). Plug in flash drive to hp, if not already, and reboot windows holding shift. Try to boot off of flash drive. If you can't, you're fucked either way. If you can, see what's broken and go from there.
>>
>>51260089
xubuntu is pretty good as well.
>>
I use mint mate on my laptop.
>>
Ubuntu Mate, if you want something that works
Lubuntu, If you care about battery life
Xubuntu, If you like "casual ricing"
Ubuntu, if you want to piss /g/ off
Debian, if you know what you're doing
Fedora, If you know what redhat is
Arch, if you're a level 3 wizard
Gentoo, if you're a level 4 wizard
Linux Mint, if you own a dragon dildo
Elementary, if you have a boyfriend
>>
>>51261762
or Manjaro, if you're too stupid for Arch
>>
>>51261762
Linux From Scratch if you're a level 99 wizard
>>
>>51261762
>Linux Mint, if you own a dragon dildo

I dont get it.

I tried Kubuntu and Mint and liked Mint better. What does it mean?

Whats wrong with me? ;_;
>>
>>51261968
it's means you're a faggot by proxy. if you're going to use Mint, you might as well go back to winblows
>>
>>51261948 OP Here: I ended up disabling Secure Boot, and got Debian kinda going, but not to the desktop, and with no networking... Clearly i don't know what i'm doing for the standard Debian Install. Guess ill try Debian Live and see if i can get an install going that way
>>
>>51261996

But I dont sit on cdkeys and need some OS for PC at work ;_;
>>
>>51262000

I just installed debian a few hours ago and had network setup issues aswell. The installer couldn't authenticate for whatever reason. Last resort was set up under wep with no password and it worked. Everything seems fine post install too. I might just be an idiot though.
>>
>>51262000
debian netinst should be pretty easy to install. you will need networking during install tho, otherwise it won't be able to download things like a desktop environment.
are you using wifi? try an ethernet cable.
>>
Moved from win10 to linux on my laptop last week
Tried out ubuntu and didn't like it that much
Then few days ago installed arch and i like it so far
Looks good and just werks
>>
BunsenLabs
>>
>>51259492
>>51262148

I second that
>>
>>51259492

Friend bought one of those, came with Win8.1 after it got upgraded to Win10 there was a grand slam total of 1.3GB of disk left.
Not to mention that the mouse pad felt unusable, literally half of it is unresponsive.

> hey.. take this thing back, you don't want to keep it trust me
> no anon I like it, its pink
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.