[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i-7 Vs i-5 which is better for audio production
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
I'm building a pc, Is the difference going to be noticeable? What else is important, planning on getting 1 tb ssd and 16 gb ram. Running ableton live9. Thanks g/ents
>>
get i7, it has a higher number
>>
ur mom is better for audio production when im banging her

get rekt
>>
>>51253192
This. If the i-5 can fit 5 audios, the i-7 can fit 7 audios, allowing you to produce 40% more audio.
>>
If you're not going to be overclocking, just get a Xeon E3 1231 V3. It's an i7 for closer to the price of an i5.
>>
>>51253174
Don't listen to this guy >>51253192

Get an AMD FX9590. That's much higer than 7 lol.
>>
Does the software you use take advantage of hyper threading. If so get an i7, if not get an i5. The fact that you need this explained implies you have autism.
>>
>>51253226
But what if I overclock can I get even more audios? I'm trying to get maximum audios for my money
>>
>>51253174
I would wait for the i8 release, personally.
>>
>>51253308
Dude you better be careful with that or you'll end up deaf
>>
>>51253259
but is it that much higher? some of those metric to imperial conversions can be deceiving.
>>
>>51253307
Well I guess I'm not a big tech guy more of a producer so I dunno. That's why I come to g to get laughed at and hopefully some advice too. Does live9 utilize hyperthreading?
>>
>>51253326
9590 Celsius are like over 2000 Decibels so it's still much higher
>>
>>51253174
Depends on which i7 and depends on which i5. An old or mobile i7 is going to be worse than a new or desktop i5.
>>
>>51253373
yeah but deci means ten, so it's actually 20,000 bels which is greter than 9590
>>
>>51253312
Everyone knows that i comes in odd numbers only, so wait for the i9 OP
>>
>>51253425
Touche
>>
>>51253335
well google: does [insert software] use hyper threading.
if yes: i7
if no: i5
>>
>>51253174
Who's that cum slave?
>>
>>51253525
purinces reiah
>>
>>51253335
You aren't much of a ' " ' `` ' " producer "" ' `' " ' either you retard. You're a college freshman who downloaded a copy of Live and some drum kits.
>>
>>51253659
LOL okay buddy. I'm a musician not a wizard.
>>
>>51253442
but intel i-celery is not odd number????
>>
I recently built an audio development machine for a friend of mine. 8 thread Xeonvpu and 32gb of ram. He uses to fl studios. With audio programs the more ram and more threads the more better. Case in point that same friend would get crackling in his audio because he was running out of ram for the program to load sound into so the program was swapping in and out of ram with ssd disk space. We upped his pc from the 8gb he had to 32 litre I said. Problem went away and program ram much better.

I'm no expert in audio programs but just from observing CPU and ram usage while he worked, the more you have going on in any given track the more of those 2 are going to be used. So in this unique scenario, more threads and ram actually matter here.
>>
>>51253226
underrated
>>
>>51253174
>1tb ssd

lol cherry on top isn't it OP

>>51253824
you're retarded
>>
>>51254124
Why? Heard ssd is better to load things quickly and I wanna keep my os and all my samples and shit on there
>>
>>51253931
Thanks for the legit advice.
>>
Do a little research and see if the software you'll be using benefits from multiple cores or hyperthreading.

If it benefits from hyperthreading the i7 is probably worth it. If not the i5 is fine.
>>
>>51253174
i5s are just i7s with defective L3 and some extra jewing (disabling features)

but an i5 overclocked to match the clock speed of an i7 will be just as fast in 95% of all situations.
>>
Get the i7.
The "i5 is fine" advise is for gamers who are trying to save a few bucks because most games rely more heavily on the GPU so they can get away with skimping on the CPU. If all you do is web browse and play games the i5 is fine... but still just slightly slower. But every CPU intensive task is going to be faster with the i7.
Some of these i5 guys are as bad as AMD fags when you ask about buying a better chip than they have.
>>
>>51254869
false. the i5 simply has defective L3 and isn't as tolerant to higher clocks as the i7.

that being said very few tasks require the extra L3, not to mention hyperthreading will actually hurt performance under heavy workloads.
>>
>>51254913
That's the thing, most advice I see is for gaming, don't really see much for people trying to do extensive daw stuff
>>
>>51255073
because the 5% scenarios where the L3, and features that weren't intentionally disabled are beneficial are not gaming scenarios.

the only reason to get an i7 is if you're doing video editing. Other wise any case where an i5 isn't going to cut it, you will want a Xeon.
>>
File: Coconut-milk.jpg (68 KB, 930x683) Image search: [Google]
Coconut-milk.jpg
68 KB, 930x683
WHY
STAY IN FUCKING /mu/
Every fucking self-proclaimed shitty soundcloud producer decides to waddle over here and shit up the board with stupid fucking thread like this one
STAY OUT NO SHIT CUNTS ALLOWED
>>
If you have to ask then you'll never tell the difference between them anyways. Just get "the newest mac thingy" from the BestBuy.
>>
>>51253174

I'd Jabba her Hut, if you know what I mean.

Only way CPU would matter with audio processing is on properly multithreaded applications and core/parralelization performance for encoding, ripping and the like.
>>
File: 1446561235956.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1446561235956.gif
2 MB, 300x225
off to /mu/ you go

and no I don't want your soundcloud url
>>
is there a single person from SE asia that doesn't have fucked up teeth?
>>
>>51253174
>Is the difference going to be noticeable?
not unless you start doing video rendering
>>
>>51253174
why do women pretend to like star wars?
>>
>>51255470
No, if I wanted as assholes to tell me about fucking sine wave synths I would go to mu but I have tech questions so u came to g
>>
>>51254276
a 1tb ssd costs like 300 dollars. a 1tb hard drive is like 40 bucks.
>>
>>51255624
Yeah but certain shit in the daw takes forever to load or forever to render so I want to eliminate that
>>
>>51255575
stop shitposting faggot
>>
>>51255656>>51255624
Also money isn't as much of an issue up to like 1500 for the whole thing sans monitor and software so if tall suggest that i-5 is good enough for now and I should wait for some other tech tell me. I read lots of shit concerning video games but not much comparison for cpus and audio production
>>
>>51255656
which is fine
you may want to have a smaller ssd to run critical things and use traditional hdd for long term storage
>>
Fuck that whole game of what music is supposed to be right now. It’s so fucked up even listening to what sounds like people trying to get super good at a video game or something. It doesn’t even sound anything like self-expression, it’s like… I’m awesome within these predefined parameters that are presented to me. Which I guess most artists feel is what’s exciting about a genre. They see a few people doing a similar thing and then everyone just jumps on it and goes, “I’m this now!” It’s like if a bunch of people wore the same fucking outfit from the Gap, you know? What is the difference between that and being awesome at World of Warcraft or something? Not much. It’s almost the same thing if you think about it.
>>
>>51256189
sturgeon's law applies to any creative medium.

the only difference now is that you have fewer barriers to mass distribution.
>>
>>51253174
Depends. As someone who makes music also it's more about the number of FPU's you have. The way Ableton works is that everything on one track usually gets serialized to one core/fpu. I have an fx8350 overclocked and it works fine for me but I'm sure a super high end i7 would be better. It also depends on the sampling rate you're running at and what OS, latency, and driver you're running also. At 96kHz and < 5ms latency it's pretty tough once you start using a bunch of plugins. 1tb ssd is also overkill. It's dumb because Live loads audio into RAM and when you render your HDD isn't going to be the bottleneck. Spend that money on more RAM instead of using a 1tb ssd. 256gb ssds are decently cheap anyway. Also depends on what hardware you have. Since I mainly use my hardware synths for sound generation and my computer for effects and mixing I don't need a lot of power. Really I think that's how computers should be used instead of loading soft synths (which usually aren't as fun and don't sound as good anyway). Even if you buy digital hardware synths they're still going to be more fun and having the immediacy of the keyboard when you want to play is better than multiplexing a cheap midi controller or doing pure sequencing. Ideally dedicated devices are better for real time systems anyway. Also I recently abandoned Live because I didn't want my music tied to a proprietary application/OS and that's something you might consider. I love the program but that's not something I want (also it's expensive if you don't pirate it). Good luck with your machine (I'd say i7 or fx8350).
>>
>>51256542
I also have a Roland td5 I wanna connect, how do I get the latency down the best?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.