[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey O/g/'s. I need some advice regarding wifi range extension.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (903 KB, 1832x2749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
903 KB, 1832x2749
Hey O/g/'s.

I need some advice regarding wifi range extension.

I work from home in my spare time but recently got an overnight job as a fireman. It only pays 15$ an hour however it requires me to stay awake. I figure i can put in my time at night (programmer) and get an hourly wage to boot.

>what's the catch?
Shitty internet.

The building is only 300meters from my house.

What setup would i need to send my personal wifi signal to this building? And what would i need to receive and send the signal from my laptop.

I don't know if it would be possible to erect any permanent or semi permanent structure at the firehouse such as pic related however it is not out of the question either.

As far as I'm concerned the smaller and more portable the better and price isn't an issue. (within reason for a middle class income)
>>
>>51253123
You don't really need internet desu.
Just a text editor, the API/library documentation and the compiler.
>>
I should also mention that I am willing to get a new laptop if necessary for specific parts.

Been thinking about an upgrade for some time.
>>
>>51253123
>The building is only 300meters from my house.

Run multi-mode fibre.
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=directional+wifi+antenna
>>
>>51253321
>not a bundle of multi-mode fibers with wideband microwave backup and satellite telemetry for emergencies.
>>
>>51253291
Thanks for the reply.

Have been doing that for about a week and it really stonewalls me on somethings. Plus it means I actually have to use manuals or [spoiler]get gud[/spoiler] at programming. Then have to spend an hour or two once i get home to feel like everything is resolved. ( debugged, finished, emails, etc.)

Turns my usual five hour day into a tenner.
>>
>>51253376
Would my laptop be able to relay the signal back?

Also i should mention the building is on the other side of a small hill and not clearly visable.
>>
Without going into great detail you'd need:

2 x high gain directional antennas. You can make them yourself cheaply if you can use a soldering iron and have a bit of patience or just buy something like the TP-LINK TL-ANT2424B. This dish is quite big and it might be better to use this at your house and then use something smaller at the destination as 300M isn't too great of a distance. The important thing is that they both are high up, aligned correctly and have a clear line of sight.

Your House: 1 x Any router or wireless adapter capable of acting as an AP with an external RP-SMA connector.

The firestation: 1 x Another router in bridge mode or any WiFi adapter with an RP-SMA connector. ALFA USB adapters are highly recommended.
>>
>>51253534
Not him.

If it's it's withing line of sight, ie not blocked by ground or steel-reinforced buildings/towers, it's ok.
A few trees aren't a problem.

You might need a small directional antenna for your laptop as well, but you might also get away without one.

If the job is temp, don't bother installing a parabolic dish on your house.
If it's not, it might be worth it.

In both cases consider mobile internet as well.
And ask folks there if you can get internet.
Or to install a wifi hotspot if there is internet already.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 612x380
>>51253597
>>51253556
Thanks for the info guys. I may be shit outta luck.

Just looked out the second story bathroom and I don't think I have line of sight.

> even if there wasn't a fucking library in the way.
Who reads books?

Seriously
>>
Op again. Is there some type of 3 point system i could use?

Like run from my router to an antennae to relay antennae to reciever antennae.

It seems expensive but here in canada mobile internet is like 100$ a month and at these distances the equipment seems pretty inexpensive.
>>
>>51253765
considering you 'work from home in your spare time', obviously not you
>>
>>51254259
Yes, but where would you mount the relay antenna?
>>
There's some 2.4GHz long range dish antennae on amazon. You could try making your own yagi or other similar directional antenna, but unless you have line of sight, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>51254337
You must be soooo learned. I bet you've read all the grrm's.

Do you, as I, handwrite a letter and give it to your telepathic neighbour? Does he then write what people respond with and give it to you? Or do you use some sort of wizard courier for long range instant communication. I hear that can be expensive.

Last year i made 108,000 dollars "working from home" 4 of my friends work for me and i read alot thank you very much.
>>
>>51254586
Good point. I was thinking about putting behind the library. But that seems sketchy even if it is in the middle of a field at 1 am in a small town.
>>
>>51254981
Congratulations anon you cant take a joke.
>Last year i made 108,000 dollars "working from home" 4 of my friends work for me
I jerked off 8 times yesterday, yet you don't see all of /g/ collectively giving me a medal.
>and i read alot thank you very much.
apparently not
>>
>>51255076
You're right I'm sorry.

desu senpai i am a little insecure asking questions about stuff. I feel retarded whenever I have trouble figuring stuff out on my own.
>>
>>51255225
i dont fucking get that kind of logic really.
i work in tech support and deal with pissed off old people who wont admit they don't know what they're doing and won't listen to my advice.
because "I've worked with computers before" makes you more skilled than someone who works with what you're doing on a daily basis for a job right?
on the other hand i don't know shit about cars but i'm trying pretty hard to learn. if I take my car to a shop or a friend's and they tell me what's wrong I shut up and listen since they probably know what they're talking about.

Don't be stubborn and have too high confidence to ask for help, you're just digging yourself into a hole. typically when your first instinct is "I have no what idea what I'm doing" you're right.
but at the same time don't be upset at yourself for asking for help. Whoever you're asking for help with something, there's probably something that you know way more about and could lecture them for hours on. plus, let's face it. being smarter than someone doesn't make them a better person.
>>
If "money is no object", a WWAN card (internal or external) is way easier and cheaper than some directional antenna rf voodoo that might bring the FCC down on you.

> other side of a small hill

no way in hell
>>
>>51255318
Yeah i get what you are saying.

I don't actually think I'm skilled in this department. it's more or less i got shit on till i was 24 by my family for not going to school. Meanwhile my 28 year old Ba. Brother is now getting his real estate license because he can't get a job that pays more than 12$ an hour. So fuck them. I was just responding shittily to a perceived slight from an anonymous nigger on a jamaican club racing forum.
Because I'm autistic.
>>
>>51255349
Do you mean creating a private 3g signal from my house?

Can you do that?

Or do you mean mobile internet? Because as i said that shit costs a fuck tonne.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LOCOM5-NanoStation-loco-M5/dp/B004EHSV4W/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1447037943&sr=8-27&keywords=nanobeam

2 of these will send a signal miles if you have clear line of sight.
>>
>>51255712
>Can you do that?
not legally in the US
>>
>>51256181

Top c u c k.

Yeah I couldn't find anything.
>>
File: 1392699232438.jpg (51 KB, 366x479) Image search: [Google]
1392699232438.jpg
51 KB, 366x479
>>
File: 1440550598737.jpg (110 KB, 793x609) Image search: [Google]
1440550598737.jpg
110 KB, 793x609
>>
>>51253765
Mount the antenna on the other side of the library bro
>>
>300m
I'd go with CAT 5/6 cable with boosters than to go with WiFi
WiFi P2P is either reliable but over your budget and need frequent maintenance.
Or cheap one but unreliable.
>>
>>51253123

Really OP, it's about how much you want to spend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168139

I've seen these guys cover gargantuan mall car parks just being mounted on the main mall buildings. They're omni-directional and don't require LoS normally (But this reduces range). Your distance is ~1/3 of the total range one of these guys gets in open air.

Buy two, mount at each place, and enjoy.
>>
>>51256760
>this much of a redneck set up
>proud enough to take a picture and put it online
can't stop my sides from vibrating
>>
File: 1446071100333.jpg (96 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446071100333.jpg
96 KB, 400x400
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.