[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long story short, my parents want a mac. I've tried to talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 10
File: 57698865078560.png (14 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
57698865078560.png
14 KB, 256x256
Long story short, my parents want a mac. I've tried to talk them out of it but they want a mac so here I am /g/. I know very little about macs and I know trying to discuss them here it's almost impossible without rampant shitposting. That being said out of all the new macs Apple sells which one is the most balanced? They do very simple things like watch youtube and some movies.
>>
>>51252143
Go by price. Your parents clearly do not know any better, so you might as well save as much money as possible, while still keeping your folk blissfully unaware and placebo happy.
>>
Get them the 21.5 mac
>>
>>51252143
Okay, so they're big on video content and don't need much power. In this case you want a Mac Mini- they're cheap, more than powerful enough for this, and can be paired with any large non-Apple monitor you like.

OS X is actually really good, and I say that as a developer. I'm not sure where the anti-Apple circlejerk comes from.
>>
Get the best one you can afford. Macs are Macs, there's no point in comparing them since they're all made by the same company.
>>
>>51252143
How about let your parents do what they want holy fucking shit you dumb fuck.
Move out or kill yourself.
>>
>>51252209
>I'm not sure where the anti-Apple circlejerk comes from.
There are many OSX users here, and many who hate it. OSX goes against the /g/ mindset because
>It's proprietary, so pro-FOSS people don't like it.
>There are few options in customization. If you want to really configure your mouse you have to buy an app. Same with fine tuning a gamepad, etc.
>Gaming on OSX sucks. If a game works in one version, it will probably break in the next OSX update. OSX has more AAA games than Linux, but if you're a gamer then you might as well just use Windows.

So all that's left really are casual users and people who produce videos or music. Besides those things, you're better off on Windows or Linux depending on your use.
>>
>>51252143
>I've tried to talk them out of it but they want a mac so here I am /g/. I know very little about macs

Why would you try to talk them out of using a Mac if you don't know anything about them in the first place?

Mac OSX is solid and their hardware is generally really reliable.
>>
>>51252231
>your reading comprehension

He's asking for the best Mac for their usage numbnuts.
>>
if they want a laptop, they'll probably be happiest with a basic macbook air
>>
>>51252341
It's needlessly expensive, for one. It also has a moronic cult following. A friend of mine can barely pay rent, yet he has a decked out Apple computer on his plastic, wobbly table.

But anyway, for me it is the waste of money part that bothers me.
>>
>>51252143

imac for desktop, MacBook Pro 15-inch Retina for laptop
>>
>>51252366
I don't even give a fuck.
It's not like there are even many options, refer to
>>51252457
>>
>>51252411
>needlessly expensive

Well, it's a premium laptop. Apple isn't the only one who makes products this expensive. Hell, Microsoft just is releasing a Surfacebook which is just as expensive. Sure people buy Macs when their needs don't call for one but they are, again, reliable machines.

>cult following

This shouldn't influence your decision about a product.

>poor friend with Macbook

So your friend makes shitty financial decisions. Good to know. Also irrelevant.
>>
The cheapest one you can find
>>
>>51252411
I know lots of poor people with thinkpads, more so than poor people with macbooks...
Uh oh.
>>
Try getting them a random aluminum laptop, and install homOSeX Yosemite/El Capitan or *ubuntu
>>
>>51252336

> OSX goes against the /g/ mindset because

no, shut up. fuck the /g/ mindset. the obtuse single mindedness of a vocal minority is stifling and embarrassing.
>>
Just tell them to get the Mac unless you want to be blamed and end up as tech support when the Windows install gets overrun with malware.
>>
Macs are fine but overpriced. I really liked my iMac when I had one back in the day. Nowadays I dual boot OS X and Windows on commodity hardware.

OS X is great, iOS is shit. I wish I had the money for a 5K iMac.
>>
A regular iMac, a standard Macbook air or Pro is a good option, if they want to watch videos get a mac mini and strap it to the back of the tv.

Remember /g/, while apple is a nuisance if the consumer wants it, we're here to give them the best advice on what they want. Not immediately shill gentoo, android and custom PC builds.

Make sure your parents know of the other options OP, but if they want a mac its 'ight.
>>
>>51252843
1080 anime wouldn't look great on a 5k monitor.
>>
>>51253002
It would look just as good as it does on a 1080p monitor. It wouldn't look any sharper, so you're right in a sense.

Or, you could have it at full resolution in a corner of the screen and have the rest of the screen available for shitposting. I have 1440p and do this quite a bit.
>>
macs are infinitely easier to understand for old folks than wangblows. Don't try to talk them out of OS X just because of your autistic preferences, unless you enjoy fixing your parents' system in your free time
>>
>>51253130
Fucking this.

I must visit my parents house 2 times every week to fix some random stupid shit they did or some how they shut off flash and now they can't play their browser games. Macs are almost retard proof.
>>
Really the only major thing that windows has over mac is pc games and maybe a few more programs.
>>
>>51252143
Why would you let your parents eat shit from their hands? Do you not care about them at all?

Also Chromebook.
>>
>>51252411
All of the big three have a moronic cult following, it's just that Apple's is more vocal and plastered all over the place.

Hell, the Apple anti-cult is even more obnoxious just because of how trivially smug it is.
>>
>>51252843
>eating shit with knife and fork is ok, but i prefer to eat it with my hands
>>
>>51252336
>So all that's left really are casual users and people who produce videos or music. Besides those things, you're better off on Windows or Linux depending on your use.
Not really. Web development, for example, is great on OSX.
>>
File: shiteating.jpg (62 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
shiteating.jpg
62 KB, 500x329
>>51253680
>Web development
>>
>>51252143
>They do very simple things like watch youtube and some movies.
Buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883219001&ignorebbr=1
Put apple stickers over the LG decals
Done.
>>
>>51252143
>I've tried to talk them out of it
>I know very little about macs

99% of /g/ right here
>>
>>51253874
That would actually be perfect for my parents.

Thanks /g/.
>>
>>51252175
/thread
>>
>>51253962
Lel.

>>51252143
You're an idiot. Macs are well made machines that are just pricey as fuck. They'll get something that is easier to use than Windows, has less issues, and best of all YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE THEM TECH SUPPORT FOR. That is the number one reason to recommend Apple computers to relatives. YOU WONT HAVE TO DO SHIT. They can take it to the Apple store and not bug you. You should be fully encouraging them for this alone.
>>
>>51254606
>eating shit from my hands is pricey as fuck
>>
>>51254781
>has never actually used an apple product
>thinks the problem people have with them is actually related to functionality

/g/ - where no one actually bothers to use any technology. Let's get another smartphone thread going.
>>
CHROME OS
H
R
O
M
E

O
S
>>
>>51254826
>has always been to afraid of using non-apple products any anything with more than one button
>pretends it's actually technology

Why do you insist on eating shit from your hands?
>>
apple.com/mac/

if they want separate computers get two macbook airs. if they want a desktop just get an imac
>>
>>51254891
>thinks an iPhone is a desktop computer

>>>/b/
>>
File: Capture.png (45 KB, 1017x561) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45 KB, 1017x561
/thread
>>
>>51254942
>he thinks eating shit from his hands is a computer

>>>/r/crapple
>>
>>51255015
Why would you pay $1500 to eat shit from your hands?
>>
>>51255023
*tips fedora*
>>
>>51252209
osx is shit on anything but laptops
>>
>>51255064
>osx is shit on anything
Fixed.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (79 KB, 1145x511) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
79 KB, 1145x511
>>51253874
This desu.

All any parents need is a huge touchscreen phone with a keyboard that's literally impossible to break.
>>
>>51255015
>iris 6200
>using broadwell in late 2015
>>
>>51253680
>Not really. Web development, for example, is great on OSX.
Seen a lot of devs lately on macbooks. I don't get it. Other than being able to code for iOS, what's the point?

I couldn't stand typing on that POS keyboard, for one.
>>
>>51253680
Literally open a text editor on your phone and you can "web develop" lol.
>>
>>51252336
you're biased mate

anyways. mac mini, as others suggested, is your best choice price wise. just hook it up to a cheapo keyboard and monitor and there you go. also if you're parents are okay with that, you might wanna buy second hand, usually saves you 100$ or so.

if they want something mobile, macbook air

>>51252411
>It's needlessly expensive, for one.
yes, but flagship windows laptops are the same or worse
>It also has a moronic cult following.
same could be said of any OS. the vast majority just uses whatever they have

honestly if you enjoy a good interface, give it a try in a VM or via hackintosh. i have a triple boot setup but i ended up using my (illegit) OSX install for everything other than gaymen (and even that, when the game is available, which happens more and more).
>>
>>51255048
you're mistaken, he's buying a computer
>>
>>51255124
then plug in a real keyboard? if you can't solve such easy problems, how can you even program?
>>
>>51253680
>Besides those things, you're better off on Windows or Linux depending on your use.
the "you're better off on X" thing is retarded nowadays, you can pretty much do anything productivity wise on any OS.

it's really more a question of personal preference.
>>
>>51253874
>>51254045
i love how you fags are retarded enough to believe any apple user must be so braindead as to not see the difference

respect your parents a little you fucking brat

if you think you know it better, talk to them before you put a cheap ripoff in front of them (are you even fucking paying for it why the fuck do you care)
>>
>>51252143
Usually the more you upgrade your mac with RAM and storage, the more disproportionate the price becomes. So go with a rMBP base model (not the non-Retina model, it's ridiculously outdated!) or an iMac base model (note: It has 5400 rpm HDD in it. You may want to upgrade that to a fusion drive, as that makes a huge difference. You can theoretically buy the HDD-version and put in a small SSD yourself, but the new iMac is criminally hard to open. It's really a shame). Generally, I recommend looking into the refurbished store. The devices are as good as new.
>>
>>51255248
That's what I do 90% of the time, but I see people actually using those chicklet thingies.

Anyways, I still don't see the point of using a macbook for development. I guess it's nice that it is Unix, but why not just use Linux?
>>
>>51255311
I like to use some proprietary software too, as I also do other things than programming. Especially for creative work, Linux distros are not recommendable. Please don't start proposing to use shit like Gimp or Inkscape.
>>
>>51255353
Oh, that's a different story, entirely. I have no idea about that kind of software.
>>
>>51255311
You can install Linux on a macbook, retard.

Trivia question: What famous Linux developer uses a mac with Linux installed onto it? You'll never guess who!
>>
>>51255124
>I couldn't stand typing on that POS keyboard, for one.
>i have a very specific non-crucial personal-preference issue with this product
>hence there can be no point for me or anyone else on the planet to use it!
autism
>>
>>51255402
>You can install Linux on a macbook, retard.
I know. But a PC is cheaper and offers more options.
>Trivia question: What famous Linux developer uses a mac with Linux installed onto it? You'll never guess who!
Torvalds?
>>
>>51255288
>respect your parents a little you fucking brat
This, so much. Those arrogant fucking basement dwellers think that the only reason anyone (including your fucking parents, the people that made you, you fucking assholes) could have a different opinion than them is because they are stupid. I know, they can't understand it because they never had more money than they need in their lives, but some people like to pay extra for stuff, just because they like how it looks or feels or whatever, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: torvalds.jpg (49 KB, 619x442) Image search: [Google]
torvalds.jpg
49 KB, 619x442
>>51255424
>>
>>51255124
There isn't. Although Xcode is a huge plus if you actually make apps on the side.
>>
>>51255424
>offers more options.
pls be more vague faggot

anyways, OSX apps/programs tend to be more intuitively designed. they just have clear guidelines that have stayed pretty much the same for the last decade (with the exception of the recent changes). even programs available on multiple platforms usually look more clean on OSX (compare transmission on linux vs OSX for example)

also
>system wide scripting
>no problems w/ compatibility between distros, package managers, DEs etc
>you can use the vast majority of more majure / professional linux programs and suites on OSX b/c most everything's ported
>pussy magnet
>>
>>51255064
Except if you have the Apple Trackpad shit. The trackpad is 30% of the OS IMHO, i have a G400S on my PC and i don't ever feel like using it or any mouse on the Macbook because the trackpad is so good.
>>
>>51255469
look at that magnificent fat fuck
>>
>>51255569
He's transforming into a penguin.
>>
>>51255549
eh, i'm a macfag but i never liked the trackpad for heavy use. i use some adobe stuff and i feel like it's much easier to hit those little buttons with a mouse. i just get the functionality you'd get from a trackpad w/ expose

that's being said it is the best trackpad out there imo
>>
>>51255548
Yeah, finally get some arguments for mac instead of only defensiveness.
>>
27" iMac. It cheap and the 5k screen is amazing. Oh and if you consider the price of a 5k monitor if you go pc. The mac is way cheaper.
>>
>>51255549
>i don't ever feel like using it or any mouse on the Macbook because the trackpad is so good.
this is literally the only thing i miss about osx though it was 2008 and the trackpad drivers may have come a long way since then
>>
>>51255584
now that's dedication to your project.
>>
>>51255604
just install it in a VM if you really wanna know
>>
File: 1434922799189.png (565 KB, 852x469) Image search: [Google]
1434922799189.png
565 KB, 852x469
>>51255288
>i love how you fags are retarded enough to believe any apple user must be so braindead as to not see the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JQsXPd41U
>>
>>51255436
>respecting your parents
>letting them eat shit from their hands
>>
>>51255762
Yupp, people are pretty stupid. It becomes particularly apparent if you put them in front of cameras.
>>
>>51255762
/thread

Do >>51253874
>>
>>51255788
>Hey let's just all say the same nonsensical thing whenever someone mentions Apple! I make a few dozen threads about it, that way it's a new "meme"!
>inb4 something with eating shit from my hands
>>
>>51255762
>sheeple will defend this
>>
File: 1446802949387.jpg (240 KB, 1656x1009) Image search: [Google]
1446802949387.jpg
240 KB, 1656x1009
>>51255848
>hey lets just all eat shit from our hands! that'll show all these non-believers how great apple is!
>>
File: 1314562526134.jpg (62 KB, 497x359) Image search: [Google]
1314562526134.jpg
62 KB, 497x359
>>51255900
>literally eating shit memes from my virtual hands
>>
>>51255848
>>51255872
>>51255900
>>51255937
that's sad
>>
>>51255958
i don't even know what they mean
>>
>>51252143
>youtube and movies
Anyting with Panther pre installed.
OS 9 might even get by
>>
>>51255981
i think it's a samefag hyping himself up about some white trash middle aged lady that supposedly proves his point because she holds something resembling i don't know what exactly

i can't see the sticker
>>
>>51253680
Web devs are the niggers of the tech industry
>>
>>51256046
i think you mean web designers.
>>
>>51256052
No I mean web devs
>>
>>51252143
Get a mini and whatever monitor suits them, if they just want the OS.

If they want a desktop, the 27" imac is actually reasonably priced if you consider that they cost about as much as a 5k monitor by itself.

>>51256014
I think chrome requires snow leopard, but yeah.

HD video does require a certain amount of bus width, though.
>>
>>51256195
>eating shit from their hands suits them

Why do you hate OP's parents so much?
>>
>>51255762
>I saw it on TV! It's true!
Holy shit you guys.
>>
>>51256233
did you mean to reply to someone else?
>>
>>51256255
>the tv told me eating shit from my hands is good! it's true!
Holy shit macfags.
>>
>>51256292
>>>/h/otwheelschan
>>
>>51256323
>eating shit from your hands
>>>/r/crapple
>>
>>51256283
no didn't you hear about the new dank meme?

using anything made by apple means you are literally eating shit out of your hands

let's not distinguish locked down walled garden iOS with the flexible and powerful OS X, nuance is something we can't afford if we are to make the dankest meme.
>>
>>51256292
Hey great comeback and all but you're literally the stupid idiot who is taking shit talk shows at face value like a fucking moron. So enjoy your blithering stupidity, I guess.
>>
>>51256451
just report and ignore

not that mods care, /g/ is just a containment board for /sci/ and /diy/, full of angry kids who should fuck off to crazyfuckschan.
>>
>>51256492
>you're literally the stupid idiot who is taking shit talk shows at face value like a fucking moron
and your're literally the stupid idiot who can't see retardation when it's shoved in his face
>>
>>51255097
>16gb ssd on a cloud based computer
???
>>
>>51256555
>who can't see retardation when it's shoved in his face
Well, I am calling you out, doe.
>>
>>51256555
You're being mocked for taking a video of a complete retard to mean that a brand somehow makes shit products. You would have to mentally retarded to make that sort of logical leap. This dumb bitch in the video isn't the one who makes the products nor is it even relevant to the discussion at hand as it related to mobile devices.
>>
>>51256574
You have to store the OS somewhere.
>>
>>51256492
>eats shit with his hands
>calls someone else stupid

Macfags ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>51256616
No, it's worse. OP attempts to literally plaster an apple sticker on a non-apple computer and expect his parents to not notice the difference. If it works on Jimmy Kimmel, it must work in real life. I don't know if he misses the irony of his own gullibility or if he's just working under the assumption that because he's retarded, his parents must be too.
>>
>>51254606
you know i don't like apple but this is a good reason to recommend it
>>
>>51256688
>wanting to do tech support for your parents

Betas, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>51256724
Pfffff no. To be honest, between Windows 10 and El Capitan, I frankly don't know which one is the lesser evil.
>>
>>51252336
The /g/ mindset is fucking retarded. It's all about dismissing things as useless on the basis of highly specific features/use cases, pure idealism that ignores practical matters, the idea that gettin the cheapest possible option is the only worthwhile option, and in general refusing to acknowledge that if someone else has different needs and wants, this doesn't necessarily mean they're idiots.
>>
>>51255097

I have been tempted to buy one of these Chromebook desktops but I can't find anyone who has one to give me a straight up review.
>>
>>51256780
It's literally a giant phone without cellular capabilities.
>>
>>51256780
I got a chromebook laptop, overwrote the bios and installed linux on it. Worked OK until the hard drive died. Acer, or something. Or butterface, no idea.
>>
>>51252143
get a refurbished machine, m80

>>51255124
>Other than being able to code for iOS, what's the point?
right in one go, that is the point

>>51256014
OS9 can't get by at all (it's also the worst OS of the era architecturally, makes Windows 9x look amazing), and even 10.4 isn't too hot these days.
10.3 was barely still usable 6 years ago, let alone now. 10.4 then (last time I had to use it) was better, but definitely having issues with Youtube then.
>>
>>51256620
so a login prompt, a file manager, and a browser
why does that take more than maybe 2-5g?
>>
>>51255255
>>
>>51257107
There is still some need for local data storage. Browser cache, local cache of documents, space to download and unpack OS upgrades, etc. Besides which, there is actually diminishing returns on using smaller storage to make it cheaper. And in some cases it can actually get more expensive to drop down to a lower capacity drive, because of economies of scale and not many wanting the smaller one.
>>
>>51257107
I don't think it'll make a lot of difference price wise. At this point, I'm wondering why not bundle a 32GB SSD.
>>
I'm not an expert of apple products but that 21.5 mac monitor that's 4k doesn't seem like it works at the 4k level, being that it's only 21.5
>>
>>51258416
What do you mean?
>>
>>51252143
>do simple things
Mac Mini + Thunderbolt display
>>
>>51255015
>I built a computer with better specs for less money

I'm only missing the 5k display, but 1080p will last me for a good while. Fuck you and your Macs
>>
>>51258441
Like with a monitor that small would you even notice 4k?
>>
>>51256751
>Windows 10 and El Capitan, I frankly don't know which one is the lesser evil
Are you serious?
>one spies on just about everything you do, and disabling that requires crippling the OS
>the other requires unchecking a few easily found checkboxes to disable sending search data (source: https://fix-macosx.com)
>>
>>51252143
Just enjoy your support calls evaporating.
>Oh, your mac isn't working? I don't know about those things.
>>
Does mac have a madvr equivalent.
>>
>>51259193
You absolutely do. It gives the screen a whole new quality.
>>
>>51252175
buy used. buy cheap.
>>
>>51252175

this

get them the cheapest one and tell them to fuck off. They`ll start hating it due to el Capitano being buggy as shit.
>>
>>51255255
>the "you're better off on X" thing is retarded nowadays, you can pretty much do anything productivity wise on any OS.

* Linux has a fantastic architecture and is rock solid. But even the latest distros are only easy to use on the surface. You still have to drop to the command line and config files to get anything done beyond what you got with initial install. I'm a developer and I *** fucking hate *** dealing with Linux at a lower level. How the fuck are Ma and Pa Kent supposed to use it? Only a neckbeard virgin likes that shit.

And there are gaps in the software library. If you need Office or Photoshop, you need them, and MUH FREEDUMS won't fix it.

* Windows has actually become pretty damn easy to use. But it's still prone to stupid fucking problems; a lot of shit tier 3rd party software; botnet from everyone including Microsoft; and the damn thing is and always will be a malware trap. There are more diseases for Windows then for fucking street crack whores.

If you know what you're doing to keep it safe from shit it's not a bad OS...at least not through 7. If you don't know what you're doing you might as well peel your fingernails off. About the same level of pain and frustration.

* Mac OS X is stable as fuck, pretty easy to use, and 3rd party software is generally high quality. Botnet can be an issue but not nearly as bad as Windows. Malware exists but several orders of magnitude less then on Windows (comparable to Linux). Hardware is just sweet. I mean you want to caress a MacBook Pro. Fucking awesome. Ma and Pa really can't go wrong and their Mac will still be running well in 5 years without many phone calls to their kids.

But it's expensive as fuck and the polar opposite of FOSS.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>51260297
>They`ll start hating it due to el Capitano being buggy as shit.

10.11.1 already fixed the worst problems.
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.