[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Ubuntu so unpopular on /g/? It's so comfy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 17
File: 1447007037639.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447007037639.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
Why is Ubuntu so unpopular on /g/? It's so comfy.
>>
unity
>>
>>51250546
It's mostly because Unity is ugly and impractical. I'm a Fedora user myself, but on my desktop I run Ubuntu Gnome so that I can be certain shit won't break.
>>
Ubuntu is fine, Unity is shit.

Ubuntu XFCE is god tier.
>>
>>51250618
Why not just run xubuntu then? Same thing, less bloat.
>>
>>51250546
1. it's too mainstream for linux hipsters

2. unity is a bit unusual, some people don't like it
>>
I use Ubuntu. What's the appeal for switching to something else?
>>
Ubuntu provides specific repositories of nonfree software, and Canonical expressly promotes and recommends nonfree software under the Ubuntu name in some of their distribution channels. Ubuntu offers the option to install only free packages, which means it also offers the option to install nonfree packages too. In addition, the version of Linux, the kernel, included in Ubuntu contains firmware blobs.

The “Ubuntu Software Center” lists proprietary programs and free programs jumbled together. It is hard to tell which ones are free since proprietary programs for download at no charge are labelled “free”.

Since October 2012, Ubuntu sends personal data about users' searches to a server belonging to Canonical, which sends back ads to buy things from Amazon. This does not, strictly speaking, affect whether Ubuntu is free software, but it is a violation of users' privacy. It also encourages buying from Amazon, a company associated with DRM as well as mistreatment of workers, authors and publishers.

This adware is one of the rare occasions in which a free software developer persists in keeping a malicious feature in its version of a free program.
>>
>>51250723
Well i run a croot, its a stripped down barebones version of Ubuntu.
Basically no amazon, no extra shit added, not even a web browser to start with.
>>
>>51250772
Newer packages, better package managers. More customization, if you're into that.
>>
Ubuntu is fine. Unity is a little slow, but so is Linux Mint's Cinnamon, which is what I run.
>>
>>51250802
croot?
Is there a ubuntu minimal image?
>>
>>51250546
I use Lubuntu+i3 myself, pretty comfy
>>
>anime fan
>asking pointless and stupid questions

Why am I not surprised the reason everyone dislikes you guys is because you are so obnoxious
>>
>>51250866
Crouton, for chromebooks, is the terminal program you use to create a linux partition without an ISO or anything.

Pretty neat stuff, every distro they offer is meant to be as clean and compact as possible, so they dont come with anything but the essentials.
>>
I hate how they decided to write a taskbar that could only be on the side.
>>
>>51250782
This.
>>
>>51250546
Desktop doesn't look too bad but do the menus still look like it's 2004?
>>
unity and bloat

the spyware thing too but they stopped that after everyone hated on them
>>
- Its part of the worldwide amazon malware cluster
- Package system is slow as shit
- Pulseaudio
- systemd
- unity
- bloated with things like libreoffice
- mir
- steals everything from debian
- recommends using nsa driven services like skype or dropbox
>>
>>51250546
I personally don't like Unity. Ubuntu GNOME is just fine. Xubuntu is great too.
>>
File: No friends.png (243 KB, 627x578) Image search: [Google]
No friends.png
243 KB, 627x578
>>51251248
Wow would you look at that faggot.
>>
>>51250546
Plenty of people on /g/ use Ubuntu and Unity because it just works, the only place where I have seen outrage and hate towards Ubuntu are the Desktop threads, and even there there is the occasional post featuring Unity/Ubuntu.
>>
>>51250782
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2889895/how-to-stop-ubuntu-from-sending-your-desktop-searches-to-online-retailers.html

>Next
>>
>>51250546
>window buttons on the left
in the trash it goes
>>
>>51252107
You can change it, I just prefer it that way since the dock and menu are on the left.
>>
>>51251187
Wrong. It still sends your searches to Canonical by default.
>>
>>51252107
>being too much of a Winbabby to know how to customize the shell
Stay pleb, faam
>>
>>51252107
You get used to it pretty easily (at least in my experience). You can also change it.
>>
It seems to me that half of /g/ uses Linux just to rice their desktops.

What's the point? I just want to learn administrative commands. I don't give a fuck about looks
>>
>>51252707
If your system looks comfy it's more pleasant to work with. That said, time spent ricing is time you that you could have spent watching Mongolian tapestry, so I just slapped a theme and an icon pack on Gnome and called it a day.
>>
>>51252809
I've been dual booting with Debian since the start of this week and am still using defaults for everything. What's your theme and icon pack?
I just want to start learning asap
>>
just use xubuntu core
>>
>>51250593
I dont understand how unity can be impractical, programs are on the side, need to open something? Hit super and type it up.

It just is, and it works.
>>
>>51252858
I went full Numix, I enjoy their flat look. Can't take scrot because I'm on phone right now, but pic related gives a good idea, except the icons are more colorful and the wallpaper is less shit.
So I use Numix circle icon pack, Numix theme for the shell, Elegance Colors with the Numix preset for the top bar. It's all on PPAs.
>>
File: honk.jpg (71 KB, 1022x536) Image search: [Google]
honk.jpg
71 KB, 1022x536
>>51250546
post honk
>>
>>51251248
>pulseaudio
>libreoffice
>bad
How about you work with those things on a progmatic level first before pronouncing that they're bad, bud.
>>
>>51252937
Thanks f.a.m
>>
>>51250546
c-cute rice
>>
>>51250902
So archlinux then?
>>
>>51251248
>bloated with things like libreoffice
>bloated with things most people need
>>
>>51250546
It's the closest of a "walled garden" a distro would get
>>
>>51252941
Alsa now handles mixing on the kernel level, and OSS4 exists, so pulseaudio is useless.
>but pulse does networking
If you enjoy rice krispies the sound server.
>>
>>51255112
every distro is a walled garden because linux is shit and doesn't have a stable ABI/API/SDK, so we need crappy distros trying to polish that turd.
>>
Ubuntu is attractive to me in many ways: excellent font rendering by default, great third party software support, big community, generally 'just werks'. However, I don't like Unity, and I heard that Ubuntu GNOME is not so great because Canonical messes with the Gnome packages that Unity uses. I'm running Arch with Gnome right now but I think I'll switch to Fedora.
>>
>>51250546
Sorry, i don't want jpg artefacts on my own desktop.
>>
File: mate.png (49 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
mate.png
49 KB, 768x768
I use ubuntu MATE because as a long time debian/ubuntu user this is how it used to be and I dont like change
>>
Because Linux Mint and Elementary OS exist
>>
>>51251248
>- Its part of the worldwide amazon malware cluster
i give you this one but compared to windows 10 canonical is like a saint
>- Package system is slow as shit
>slow as shit
I don't feel it particularly slow, but again, compared with installing a program on windows is freaking fast and convenient
>- Pulseaudio
>- Systemd
You say that as if it were a bad thing but you don't explain anything. Believe or not not everyone dislike systemd or pulseaudio so at least give some arguments.
>- bloated with things like libreoffice
Most people needs an office suite and having it installed by default is extremely convenient. If you don't like that use the minimal install, it pulls most dependencies anyway so it's easy to use.
>- mir
i also didn't liked that movement from canonical but not necessarily need no be a reason to dislike the distro
>- steals everything from debian
That's supposed to be one of the advantages of the open licenses, i just hope for canonical to remain ethical in the future (one of the reasons they had problems with some KDE developers
)
>- recommends using nsa driven services like skype or dropbox
Unfortunately it's hard for an operative system to survive without popular services or software like netflix, spotify or games. When a software or service provider is screwing their users what we should do is make aware people about the problem when possible and let the natural selection work. Still i can't blame ubuntu for wanting to have popular proprietary services in their ecosystem.
>>
Man, people really dislike Unity.

I don't use it myself but I have tried it before and I could see myself using it. It doesn't look bad or unusable, the only bad thing is that things are quite fixed and can't be moved around easily like in many other DE's.

Are people hating the UI or the botnet? Is it really bad for doing something specific?
>>
>>51250546
Totally agree OP.
>>
>>51256254
It's the UI I take issue with. They removed the botnet, didn't they? And even when it was there, you could just run a script to remove it.

To me, Unity is just a shitty version of Gnome Shell. The Unity dash is inferior to the Gnome activities view, the workspace management is worse than Gnome's, the visual design is ugly and outdated compared to Gnome, and while it's just as uncustomisable as Gnome, there is no extension ecosystem to compensate.

Unity has stagnated for a couple of years now while Gnome has received continual polish. This is because they are doing a complete rewrite of Unity, which should come next year. It will probably be full of bugs and lacking old features, as all rewrites are, and any time you spend getting used to the current version of Unity will be wasted. I just don't see any point using Unity right now, but I'll evaluate Unity8 when it's released, perhaps it will surprise me.
>>
File: e4fff3bf27.jpg (34 KB, 337x416) Image search: [Google]
e4fff3bf27.jpg
34 KB, 337x416
I'm confused by Unity. Why not just use Gnome for fucks sake
>>
>>51256467
Cause I like it. It's neato
>>
>>51256467
In Gnome sometimes I had a top bar+title bar and it was just a waste of space.
>>
>>51256528
It's the exact same situation in unity. This is why I'm confused.
>>
>>51256538
It's not; the menu bar (top bar as that guy put it) is OS X style, with windows only having a title bar each
>>
>>51256562
Holy fuck you are misunderstanding. You literally just described both Gnome and Unity in the exact same post.
>>
>>51250546
Amazon, Unity, some people like fucking with things and shit that just works isn't interesting. Also, there's a lot of not-FOSS things around Ubuntu.

Me? I like Xubuntu. Pretty much just worked with all my hardware on 5 out of 7 of the machines I've installed it on, which is better than any other distro or not-Windows OS I've installed. You install it, and you immediately have a usable system.
well, one thing I do ASAP on a new install is
sudo apt-get install gdebi synaptic

because fuck the Ubuntu Software Center -- it's genuinely a piece of slow bloated shit, especially on the shitty-ass netbook I have that otherwise is perfectly fine with xubuntu
>>
>>51256538
Unity make top bar and title bar the same thing, Gnome sometimes doesn't.
>>
>>51256717
so having two things as the same thing isn't a waste of space?
>>
Unity is comfy, /g/ is autistic.
>>
>muh big taskbar buttons is bad
That's funny, because Unity literally uses the same control structure that Windows 7 uses.
>>
>>51250618
This is the desktop-thread fag isn't it. What the fuck is a croot? It's CHROOT, ninja.
>>
File: oldlol.jpg (87 KB, 400x279) Image search: [Google]
oldlol.jpg
87 KB, 400x279
>>51250853
Better package managers! HAHAHAHA
>>
I wish my Linux was pretty :(
>>
>>51252584
No it doesn't
>>
>>51250546
Ubuntu is a great way for more average people to get into linux. The bundled non-free software makes an easier setup and transmission process. If the user grows to like linux and explore other options they may switch to a more free, yet slightly more effort to set up distro, such as Debian or Fedora.

Unity doesn't respect your privacy though. Fuck Unity.
>>
>>51256368
how do you get rid of the 'box' around the launch icons? i use numix but still get that shitty box around the circle icons.
>>
>>51250782
Amazing post.
Does Xubuntu or Mint have those problems? Specially the data mining one.
>>
>>51250546
because I hate things on left side. Just let ppl move the fuckin launcher fuckin idiots.
>>
I used Unity for about a month with no issues. With a bit of tweaking and plugins it felt more modern than most other DEs without being cumbersome. That said if I had to choose something else, it'd be XFCE.
>>
File: wasted.gif (844 KB, 443x270) Image search: [Google]
wasted.gif
844 KB, 443x270
>>51250546
I really dislike that theme. Is that really the extent to which Unity can be riced?
>>
>>51261714
Colors and icons. You can disable some features, make elements smaller or larger, disable the bar at the left and use different effects (since it's using compiz). Other than that there's not much else you can do. It's a pity.

However that also means you have to spend less time making it look ok, being very limited means you won't spend your whole day trying to impr-- oh christ it's the only thing these people do all day, nevermind.
>>
Tbh senpai
>>
>>51250546

Thing I hated most was how the "expected behavior" to launch anything not on the tray was to open that god-awful unity overlay and do a search.

Which is retarded, as often you know *what* you need to do ("I need to format this USB") but don't know exactly what the program to do that in Ubuntu is called.

And then as a special kick in the nuts, amazon search results would show up when really you just wanted to find out where the god damn program to format this fucking USB so you can install a new distro.

Oh and the overlay is all web 2.0 and shit or something with the transparency and blur effect, meaning it runs slow on mid-quality hardware and is unbearable on old or weaker stuff.

When I want to accomplish that same scenario in Lubuntu, I click the little menu at the top of the screen. It opens up lightning fast and I have a few logical places to search, in this case it's under Accessories->Disks or System Tools->Startup Disk Creator.

Added bonus is that it doesn't run like trash when I want to run it on something more than two years old.
>>
Because you can actually get shit done with it and we can't have that.
>>
I was using ubuntu on my laptop for a week and I liked it, but then tried out arch and its so much better, at least it looks and feels better
ok desu I only installed it because of its cool name and logo but whatever

I don't understand why people say arch is so much harder to install than ubuntu
I'm a fucking noob who was always using windows but I installed arch (tried out gnome, kde and mate) few days ago and it was a lot easier than I expected and it just werked, installed all the stuff I need and it just works
Now I only have to find out how to customize stuff and I'm satisfied
>>
>>51261922
Unfortunately people who make user interfaces nowadays are fucking retarded, muh simplicity, muh productivity, and they always end up with a useless shit becouse of this hipster bullshit.
>>
>>51250546
comfy is another word for easy and easy is for newfags and casuals.
>>
>>51262091

Yeah, I think the real answer is they're focused on touchscreen usage, and the standard "tiny cascading menus" paradigm doesn't really work when you've got fat sausage fingers.

All this bullshit is so it's convenient for THEM, so they don't have to bother implementing different interfaces for the 99.999% of their userbase that's still using a keyboard and mouse.

Most of my problems with mainline ubuntu could be solved by a little switch in the settings for "Turn on Touchscreen mode?" and just using a sane UI paradigm (stolen from LXDE, XFCE or literally ANY other WM) as the default.

But nope, that would be extra work for them and they're preparing for a hypothetical future in which people will want to use a fucking touchscreen as their only input device for their general-purpose computer.
>>
>>51250546
where's the fun in having all set up already?
Neither the programs nor the DE not even the configs are to my liking.
>>
>>51250546
Umi prefers Mint, so that's what I'm going with.
>>
>>51263992
Umi a shit.
>>
>>51250546
My problem with Ubuntu is that I've outgrown it. I've riced it to the point where I might as well have just installed core Ubuntu and rolled my own flavor.

All of the support for it on the internet assumes you have some kind of default install and all the GUI programs that make things "easier." Every time I try to get my computer to do something new or try to fix it whenever that inevitable goes tits up, I end up on the Arch wiki because they go about things in the way I do.

It's not that Ubuntu is bad, per se, (as long as you don't use Unity at least) it's just a very intro-level Linux distro.

Plus with apt-get if you want anything cutting edge, you have to hope someone has a ppa for it, or you'll be compiling from source.
>>
File: 1404740702272.jpg (46 KB, 518x432) Image search: [Google]
1404740702272.jpg
46 KB, 518x432
>>51264592
>>
>>51256368
did you take that image?
>>
>>51250546
Unity, like others have said.

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop unity as the default DE in the next couple of years and replace it with gnome considering its recent progress. Or they could just make unity less horrible.
>>
>ITT so many gnome fags claiming their DE is better than unity

Ayy nice try boys, you're not fooling anybody
>>
>>51264871
I use xmonad, but nice try senpai.
>>
UNITY IS SHIT!
>>
>>51251660
With a qt like emi, who needs friends?
>>
>>51252885
Everything takes a gazillion clicks to get to, as opposed to one click like it was with the old system. For example, to switch windows you click on the program in the sidebar, then once more for the thing to let you pick what window you want, then the window. In any other DE that I know of, it's one click at most.

To the keyboard command keks, if the point of a GUI is to dance around the keyboard then it fails as a GUI.
>>
>>51261659
No, its part of the Unity desktop. It's fairly easy to run off tho, just a flip of the switch. The fact that it comes on by default is why everyone complains about it.
>>
>>51262318
>But nope, that would be extra work for them and they're preparing for a hypothetical future in which people will want to use a fucking touchscreen as their only input device for their general-purpose computer.

It's more a case where they want a uniform UI experience across all devices (computers, tablets, phones etc). The problem, as win 8 showed, is that it's a great idea in theory but difficult to pull off in practice.
>>
>>51263992
>>51264724
weebs. weebs everywhere.

REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51250618
XFCE is ugly as fuck
>>
>>51266263
XFCE is a blank canvas. It gives you something that works that you can then rice however you want.
>>
>>51261922
>2015
>using that ugly shit
come on, are you a fucking hobo using a Pentium III?
>>
File: 1395675736373.jpg (57 KB, 436x535) Image search: [Google]
1395675736373.jpg
57 KB, 436x535
>>51266089
>>
>ubuntu
literally windows, packaged with spyware and proprietary software and all
>>
>>51261597
You also need to use the Numix GTK theme.
>>
File: slack.png (931 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
slack.png
931 KB, 1920x1200
>>51266263
Say what ?
>>
>>51266905
Don't prove him right man
>>
>>51266920
Oh please, what are you gonna praise ?

The Windows 10 shitfest of inconsistency ?
>>
>>51264724
fuNY FACE LOL
>>
>>51266961
Why is it that when people get defensive, they just pick an alternative like it's the only one?
>>
File: 1373540122658.jpg (107 KB, 787x830) Image search: [Google]
1373540122658.jpg
107 KB, 787x830
What's the DuckDuckGo of Linux distros?
>>
File: 1378753471679.jpg (571 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1378753471679.jpg
571 KB, 1600x1131
>>51266995
Probably one of these.
>>
>>51267000
A false sense of security distro? There's thousands of them, as long as they use the linux kernel.
>>
>>51267000
freebsd

nice trips
>>
>>51267000
>not using searx.me
>>
>>51267031
>>51267078
Okay, then what's the StartPage of Linux?
>>
>>51267098
probably gentoo
>>
File: chaika-sparkling-eyes[1].gif (104 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
chaika-sparkling-eyes[1].gif
104 KB, 500x282
>>51250546
That theme is super cute, what is it called?
>>
2ez
>>
>>51267237
I made it myself :3
>>
>>51267447
pls share tho
>>
Because it's too easy to use, it doesn't make /g/ neckbeards feel special snowflakes

There's the amazon spyware though but that can be disabled easily

Don't listen to /g/ and use whatever the fuck you want
>>
>All these neckbeards recommending amateur *buntu broken derivatives

Have fun trying to make your system work while I get my shit done
>>
>>51250546
I use ubuntu and unity is the best DE imo
"unity is shit" is a meme. it looks really good with numix, the menu bar saves space and there are key combos for everything, including tiling with numpad. also super + typing the program name is really convenient.

>inb4 this is b8
>>
>>51252584
I used to monitor my traffic in and out of my machine, if you switch that shit off, you can rest assured, it's off.
>>
>>51267572
https://youtu.be/EbYbFekw8a0
>>
>>51267984
>I use ubuntu and unity is the best DE imo
Have you tried other DEs?
>>
>>51250546

Unity desktop is not open source so it is anomalous for Linux. The spins like kubuntu do use open source desktops so are more liked.
>>
>>51265689
>Everything takes a gazillion clicks to get to, as opposed to one click like it was with the old system. For example, to switch windows you click on the program in the sidebar, then once more for the thing to let you pick what window you want, then the window. In any other DE that I know of, it's one click at most.

You can navigate around open applications using Alt+Tab, and if there is an application with more than one window open just keep holding ALT and it displays the rest of the windows, and then you can navigate through that.

It's very fast and no need to click even once.

Note that I don't know if that is a Unity thing only or if other DE have the same thing, I'm still new to Linux and I will eventually try the rest of the pupular DEs.
>>
>>51268646
Yes because nobody who works at Canonical is dumb enough to use that shit.
>>
>>51250618
what is up with the unity hate meme? i srsly dont understand it
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.