[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello comrades! lately, Ive been realizing that my degree (english
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1440429953738.jpg (410 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1440429953738.jpg
410 KB, 900x1350
hello comrades! lately, Ive been realizing that my degree (english literature) was a complete mistake, should've stayed with computer science or psychology even.

Anyway! i was wondering, is there anything I could do on the side that has to do with programming. Kind of like freelance journalism, but with writing code I guess and instead of it being for free, i'd get paid.

I'm familiar with html, javascript, java, c, c#, c++, unix infrastructure, perl, and php. But, to be honest, I'd probably have to spend a few months relearning/refamiliarizing myself with everything.

I think I was the best with Java, since I made a working web browser with it over a few months. But I'm willing to learn anything that'll make me some money on the side :)

Thanks to anyone willing to help! Also thanks to anyone willing to troll, at least it means somebody out there cares (even if its not in the way I had hoped)
>>
>>51249426
meth or heroin
>>
>>51249426
But you can be a teacher!
Or a... tutor or ... a teacher!

So many options!
>>
>>51249490
I'm already a tutor/editor for my city's newspaper. Let's just say there's a chance I might be homeless in the next few months unless I can start making more money...

>>51249456
Like do you mean selling them or doing them? Open for either, although meth might be bad since I like my teeth and they're probably my only good physical feature :\
>>
>>51249426
Go waste some time writing a shitty android app for .99$, then use that as a resume piece to get a job
>>
Seriously, why do people waste their time like this?
>>
>>51249586
Why not get your newspaper to have you write an app for it
>>
File: sony w508.jpg (28 KB, 525x499) Image search: [Google]
sony w508.jpg
28 KB, 525x499
>>51249619
they have one already, it's a pretty big newspaper but the pay is absolute shit since I'm not technically 'part of the team' as an editor...

>>51249600
Is there an android sdk available? I don't have a smartphone, just pic related

>>51249611
like what? :(
>>
>>51249723
>is there an android sdk available
...yes
You can pick up a shitty android for 20$ from best buy
>>
>>51249426
>should've stayed with computer science or psychology

how are those even related
>>
File: elfoid_3.jpg (446 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
elfoid_3.jpg
446 KB, 640x960
>>51249821
AI
>>
>>51249821
I changed my major 8 times before sticking with English (since I would've had to stay in school an extra 2-3 years if I changed again)

My majors were:
Comp Sci
Chemistry (with focus on organic chemistry)
Graphic Design
Psychology (focus on developmental)
Engineering (focus on electrical side of things)
Biology (focus on botany/organic development)
Music Theory (ended up being my minor)
Audio Engineering (ended up being my minor as well)
English
>>
>>51249426
I'm only here for the 18 cosplay

The rest of your post can fuck off.
>>
>>51250133
Jesus Christ

I thought I was bad enough switching from Economics to Civil Engineering and already considering going to IT after a buddy of mine claims to get a job offer from Dell making $90k/yr doing that.

I'll probably just switch back to Economics to finish it quickly then go be a cop or work for the govt.
>>
>>51250133
You really need to just take some time off and really REALLY think about what you want out of your life.
Or just look for a job that doesn't require a degree and do that.

Because seriously. You can't go on with your life with that level of indecisiveness. If you haven't tried to do this in a week, stop browsing 4chan.
>>
>>51249723
Waisting time in majoring in a language.
>>
>>51249861
spooky beige ghost
>>
>>51250630
that's actually pretty good advice, especially considering that lurking 4chan eats up a good chunk of my freetime.

I've been pretty indecisive my entire life, even something as simple as choosing a blunt-wrap flavour takes 10 minutes...
>>
>>51251072
Get a girlfriend.
>>
>>51251105
how? I'm a loser, my only redeeming qualities are ok looking teeth and relatively good (not quite perfect) pitch.

Also, I'm 22 and have never been in a relationship, so I feel like I'm pretty fucked as far as getting into one goes...

Will tinder, okcupid, or plenty fishing work?
>>
>>51251251
Dating websites don't work very well because the majority are sex addicts. Maybe you'll find someone normally, maybe you wont.
Also keep in mind even if you think you're ugly, doesn't mean you won't get into a relationship. Likely she won't be as attractive as you think the average girl looks, but maybe you can see past it.
>>
You could use your English degree to do linguistics and go into forensic linguistics, hell, even the law or military, you could even do machine language if you want to combine it with programming.
>>
>>51251349
I'm fine with that, sex might be good, so who knows? I might be a sex addict. At least I'll finally have something in common with somebody...

Also, outside of work, I'm kind of a shut-in, so meeting girls normally is almost out of the question due to being agoraphobic and whatnot.

>>51252761
Is forensic linguistics sort of like forensic science? Would I be able to solve crimes? I almost went into that, but I get nauseous when I see blood. I'm worried to get into law/military since I have a history of sorts that might make companies/businesses in either field not too keen on the idea of allowing me to be hired..
>>
>>51253550
JUST GO OUTSIDE!

In fact, try to find construction work and force yourself to work on that for at least 3 months.
That should man you up and help you deal with people.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.