[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The last straw: Mozilla to remove themes and tab groups from Firefox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11
File: YNkejWz.jpg (52 KB, 720x605) Image search: [Google]
YNkejWz.jpg
52 KB, 720x605
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/08/mozilla-plans-to-remove-support-for-heavyweight-themes-in-firefox/

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/08/mozilla-to-remove-tab-groups-panorama-in-firefox-45/
>>
File: laughing.png (116 KB, 376x360) Image search: [Google]
laughing.png
116 KB, 376x360
>>
holy shit, tab groups still exist!
I've only used them at work to hide private browsing tabs.
Haven't used them since forever and didn't realize this was still in.

Anyone actually using them?
>>
File: 1334.gif (84 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
1334.gif
84 KB, 403x392
>>51246365
im not upgrading, they want another ie6? they will have it
>>
It's funny, all the crying people do over firefox removing things never affects me.
>>
File: 692.jpg (125 KB, 399x477) Image search: [Google]
692.jpg
125 KB, 399x477
>>51246670
i use tab groups
>>
>>51246624
yes, fagget
>>
>>51246608
hi guy help me say me how to hack one pc into the CMD on my pc windows xp
>>
all i care about is adblock and new tab homepage
>>
>>51246624
I use them. They're nice.
>>
>Firefox is committed to becoming the worst browser out there
>Chrome still doesn't have scrolling tabs
>Edge still doesn't have extensions
What the fuck happened to browsers
>>
>>51246772
Get pale moon
>>
>>51246365
Don't upgrade. Simple.
>>
>>51246806
what about linux?
>>
>remove one by one all the features that differentiate you from Chrome
Are they retarded
>>
Will this affect Vimperator? If so I would probably switch to Chrome/ium.
>>
>>51246365
so now we have features and security holes (old ff) vs security updates and no features (new ff)

lel, not upgrading, i may actuall downgrade to ff 28 or even pre botnet features like pocket
>>
>>51246365
Is Firefox trying to become Chropera 2.0?
>>
>>51246902
nope, opera had customizations, new ff doesnt
>>
>>51246714
So do I but I could quite easily use bookmark folders in the same way.
>>
>>51246861
Why would it affect vimperator at all?
>>
>>51247090
its not the same m8
>>
>>51247115
I know it's not the same but it's not functionally that different.
>>
>>51246365
Mozilla.. has become one of the most user betraying companies/Open Source projects going wrong.

Hmm.. If Open Source becomes shit, why not switching to proprietary garbage? A browser which has to earn money turns not into such shit like Mozilla Firefox!

Hell, even Chropera adds features back, and they too have betrayed their users like Mozilla or even worse.

Only Mozilla still dreams the dream of massive amount of Chrome users coming over to Firefox. For what? More privacy? Less Botnet? I hardly doubt that Chrome fags do care for this! Hell, these guys don't even care most of the time for Open Source as they are using proprietary garbage!

What Mozilla forgets, most Chrome users switching over in masses to Firefox is a nice dream for sure, but there is the moment when you are waking up in the morning :D
>>
>>51247125
I too dream nice dreams... of a lesbian couple which is in bed with me, and in the morning i always wake up with that ugly witch by my side :D

At least my dream can be for sure realized :P
>>
don't care lol

still gonna use it, don't need those two features.

besides css shit is still there to do instead of the crappy themes available.
>>
>>51246365
Did Mozilla come under new management? It's like they're intentionally gimping Firefox so chrome will win.
>>
>>51247162
Why do you guys are so ignorant of Firefox becoming Chrome? If people like you would care a bit more for features, they would not be removed. Broaden your horizon simple fag!
>>
>>51247162
I mean, why you people love that so much when Firefox is turning into a Chrome carbon copy?

Do you guys love Chromes simplicity and no features concept so much? And why are you not switching over to Chrome then?

Utterly disgusting that so much Chrome UI fanboys are around!
>>
>>51246365
And pocket.

But we wont mention that one.
>>
>>51247162
Get chrome'd, faggot.
>>
>>51247194
>Why do you guys are so
English not your first language?

Anyway, /g/ always tends to blow things out of proportion. Until the browser starts being bad for how I use it, I will drop it.

So far so good, that may change in the future, but until then I'm sticking with it. Also since it is a open source project, there will be forks to check out if that happens.
>>
>>51247149
>i always wake up with that ugly witch by my side
Lucky motherfucker.
>>
>>51247245
Sorry, have not been thinking what i was writing :P Normally i am not making such mistakes, i am no simple fag :P
>>
>>51246365
>Mozilla to remove themes
But that's wrong. "lightweight themes" (i.e. the themes that 99.999 % of users are using) will not be removed.

>>51247220
This. Hello and Pocket will also get removed again.
>>
>>51247125
>Mozilla.. has become one of the most user betraying companies/Open Source projects going wrong.

This is what happens when you let women and homosexuals in to "open source" as a way to combat white straight males existence.
>>
File: why so much faggotry.png (125 KB, 405x213) Image search: [Google]
why so much faggotry.png
125 KB, 405x213
>first ClassicCompact
>now Microfox
Why do you hate me, Moz?
>>
don't they realize that the "persona" themes that they have are completely unimpressive?
>>
>>51247245
Luckily there are people around which will not forgive Mozilla that betrayal of users!

If you have no loyalty to your core user base anymore, you are nothing less than a shit company. Wondering how Mozilla has developed such a negative attitude towards choice and being unique!

If i ever meet some Mozilla developer, i make sure to smash them against the next wall! Some fag developers only learn by violence!
>>
>>51247299
What a big persecution complex you have anon!
>>
S E A M O N K E Y
>>
>muh DeepDarkAsMySoul
>>
>>51247295
more like Hello and Pocket devs realized theres no future with firefox and abandoned ship, no more money for ff :^) i hope ff die
>>
lel I was just thinking about donating. Again.
>>
>>51247369
Same here. I really am no violent guy, but i really have the wish to break that Mozilla devs some bones in their bodies!

I feel really tempted in doing that. That freaks have not earned different...

But as i said, i am no violent guy.
>>
In other news android Firefox is amazing when I click/touch a link when in another app like my email client it open the web pages in the background and lets me switch to it when I want
>>
File: 1452.jpg (81 KB, 656x700) Image search: [Google]
1452.jpg
81 KB, 656x700
>>51247474
>android Firefox is amazing
when it does not crash, so actually never
>>
When will a meaningful fork of Firefox without all the Mozilla Group faggotry get made?
>>
>>51246365
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=14393843

Who still thinks that Mozilla are the good guys read the last post of this thread, the guys on Mozillazine are even more hardcore Mozilla aplogists compared with /g - but they are still aware which people are disgusting fags at Mozilla!
>>
Waiting patiently for Edge extensions...

Any day now...
>>
File: mad.png (40 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
mad.png
40 KB, 700x700
>remove tab groups

I use these all the time when I end up with a shit load of tabs. Fuck Mozilla so bad, I hope I run into a Mozilla dev sometime so I can spit in his face for turning the browse into such a heap of shit.
>>
>>51246624
Mozilla can't figure out how to make them obvious so they've been hidden for a while but I rarely use them to get an overview of the tabs I have open
>>
Just gonna switch to palememe
>>
>>51246365
is CTR going to be fucked or can I keep pretending australis never happened?
>>
>>51247641
Mozilla cunts have said they create API to keep some popular extensions working, but on the other side... They too said, Australis will have no feature loss!

So, no, they will screw up and in the end customization gets a won't fix!
>>
>>51247641
Also, expect them when they are switching to Browser.HTML to deliver for sure not such freedoms like Vivaldi offers - Vivaldi may be closed source garbage which i never would use, but it's developers are at least not such cunts like Mozilla guys!
>>
why havent you switched to qutebrowser yet
>>
>The organization recommends several alternatives such as using bookmarks in the sidebar, using Pocket, or relying on one of the available add-ons for the Firefox browser (without mentioning one).

Fuck them.
>>
>>51246365
>removing bloat nobody uses
>somehow a bad thing
>>
Chromium mustard race
>>
>>51247750
>or relying on one of the available add-ons

addons will be deprecated in 2016.

everythank according to keikaku.
>>
>>51247827
XUL addons. Don't just lie.
>>
>caring about themes
>not making your own global CSS edits with Stylish

Does /g/ even know how to use their computers?
>>
>>51247295
what is the point of pocket? saving webpages offline? what scenarios warrant an offline version of a webpage? why not use an rss reader or send the page with pushbullet?
>>
>>51247896
Most people today are in general n00bs - who only care for a nice design and minimalist UI - as the whole industry is moving backwards since the introduction of Windows!

During the Amiga and C64 times something like today would have been an unbelievable vision!

And what's worst... people do not realize this and are running like sheep's to their slaughter!
>>
>>51246772
Chrome doesnt has scrolling tabs because opening more tabs than displayable kills your RAM
>>
>>51246365
too bad all alternatives are either nonfree or are shit.
>>
This probably doesn't matter much really. Most of the complete themes are broken in modern versions of firefox because the devs never updated their themes to make them work with australis. Editing the CSS is less troublesome anyway.
>>
>>51247622
does it support noscript?

i won't touch anything that won't work with noscript. i have 6 years of building a whitelist
>>
>>51247896
I'm a developer in a bunch of languages and can also do web design, including CSS. That does NOT mean I want to spend hours and hours on making my own fucking theme for firefox! Are you fucking stupid? Why don't I just write my own addons, my own browser, my own shell env, hell why not my own OS from fucking scratch.
>>
So wait, is userchrome.css editing still going to be a thing after this update or not?
>>
>>51247579
even with extensions, edge wi still be worse thanchrome
>>
>>51247958
I often open more tabs than can show up on the screen, they just stop showing up so I have to use ctrl+page up/down to navigate them
>>
>>51247969
Open Source means nothing anymore. Firefox is shit, so you can not even trust FOSS creators.

Exactly this drives people towards browsers like Vivaldi! Do not underestimate the frustration of users! I know it is wrong, but tell that a frustrated guy!
>>
>>51247991
Yes.
>>
>>51247974
I see you don't know about ft deepdark or the other good ones that still exist.

Just because there aren't many themes doesn't mean they're not important. FT alone has 190 fucking thousand users. Mozilla is gonna kick 190 000+ users in the balls with this.
>>
>>51248006
Will cease to exist once XUL is ripped out!
>>
File: 1559.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1559.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>51247766
>no one used theming
are you retarded?
>>
>>51248006
No XUL = native interface like Chrome = no customizable anymore
>>
>>51248019
>>51248041
They're replacing it with HTML you idiots. What do you style HTML with?
>>
File: 1445598064001-int.png (11 KB, 307x462) Image search: [Google]
1445598064001-int.png
11 KB, 307x462
Should I now use Palememe or just not update my Firefox?

-t. Tech illiterate person
>>
>>51248055
copious amounts of js ofc
>>
they shouldn't have introduced tab groups in the first place.
also, from one of the articles:
>It is interesting to note that Mozilla announced the removal of Tab Groups back in 2013 but did not act on it in the following two years.
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/02/02/panorama-to-be-removed-from-firefox-offered-as-an-add-on/

I suspect that mozilla is preparing to force users to move to their new browser...
plus, since they have lost so much market to chrome, they aren't getting much money from google anymore.
>>
>>51248055
You are the idiot! You really believe Mozilla will rip out customization only to give it back once they are using Browser.HTML? Mozilla devs are not liking features anymore. They do not have the mentality like old Opera or Vivaldi which do give the control of the browser again in users hands!

So stop shit talking fag! Mozilla only wants to have their browser as close as Chrome as possible as they believe that is the way to stay competitive!
>>
>>51247994
I have around 500 tabs in FF (approximately 30 loaded) and 40 tabs in Chrome and they are about equal in RAM usage (1.3 gb used memory)
>>
>>51248055
You know, it is because of ignorant hardcore Mozilla apologists like you that we are in that dire situation right now!

If people like you would show a bit more interest in computer related things and show a little bit the demand to advance instead of instead willingly degrade, we would have different times now!

Stupid humans like you lead the world into dust and doom! Be so friendly and remove yourself out of existence, thanks!
>>
>>51247977
Pretty sure it does, but I use uMatrix
>>
so does this mean we are all moving to palemoon?
>>
>>51248150
Okay
I still like scrolling tabs, I don't really care about ram usage
And whenever I use firefox I always run into an issue, google it, find only results from 3 years ago with no answer, ask /g/, and then get called a retard
So fuck it
>>
File: konqueror-web-browser.thumb.png (66 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
konqueror-web-browser.thumb.png
66 KB, 300x227
>chrome
>shit
>firefox
>shit
>iexploder
>shit
theres also konqueror, is it any good?
>>
>>51248074
Palemoon will at least get updated
>>
>>51248185
I use Otter browser, as it is a bonehead honest Open Source project which is non commercial, unlike Mozilla which has to make decisions because share and stock holders demand simplification and cost cuts, same like it happened in Opera!

Mozilla has give up being independent a long time ago, earlier they have been Google slaves, these days they are the one's of Yahoo!

Both, Google and Yahoo dislike features and user choice, that reflects in Mozilla's decisions, as they are forced to act like these companies want, otherwise no money would be available anymore.
>>
>>51248234
the shilling finally shows his color.

at least it is OSS
>>
>>51246365
>heavy themes
Oh wow I bet all 3 users of those will really miss them.
>>
>>51248193
>theres also konqueror, is it any good?
saying it like its the only alternative
waterfox
cyberfox
lynx
vivalid
opera
comodo
chromium
lynx
midori
lunascape
hundreds more...
>>
These are two little used features - lets not lose our shit until Mozilla makes a full announcement of what they plan to do with them. For instance, I believe that Tab Groups could be (and some say should be) implemented as an extension instead. Likewise, Pocket.

As far as "full" themes, if they really do remove this functionality, it will be up to the user base to object to it on principle. Mozilla sees that few people use full themes, so they probably figure its easier not to support. However, Mozilla does rely on their reputation for openness and customization and if they make a decision that seems to violate that principle without a really fucking good reason and people revolt, they'll likely ensure that fulll theme support is here to stay. Alternately, I suppose it could be made extensions. For instance, I use "The Addon Bar: Restored" because I like having a separate addon bar, even after it was removed from Firefox. Many people don't have as many addons as I do, so maybe they don't care, and I certainly don't mind it being an extension etc... but I would be upset if they removed support for say, extensions being able to make new bars/full theming etc..

Lets not lose our minds but be ready to tell Mozilla they need to stick to principles of user-focused and customization design option availability.

Also, all of this shit is happening because some idiots can't stop from using Chrome (ium). On a business level "Hey, people want Chrome like features and shit" looks appealing, but Mozilla needs to reject that and show that they can offer similar features while still respecting your privacy. For instance, Mozilla made a good move with the most recent (Release track) version of Firefox - Private Browsing mode now embeds a version of the Disconnect (free and open source) anti ad/tracking addon features, giving people more privacy and whatnot.
>>
>>51248337
how many of these are not firefox/chromium based, opensource and release on windows and linux?
>>
>>51248385
Open Source fags.. when do you finally learn? Open source is a failed concept!
>>
File: 791.jpg (31 KB, 544x400) Image search: [Google]
791.jpg
31 KB, 544x400
>>51248410
fuck off vivaldi devs
>>
>>51248385
You are using Windows to, so shut the fuck up and stop with this ignorant hypocrisy - As soon as you mentioned Windows and Open Source it was clear that a fag was detected!
>>
>>51248432
Fuck off Mozilla Chrome clone fucks! Vivaldi will be at least customizable, Firefox will be not in the end :P
>>
>>51248432
How does it feel to sit on a worse Chrome clone without Blink and less bleeding edge web features which is slower, and is even put to shame by a real Chrome clone which is...to top it off... Closed Source!

Life of Firefox apologists must be sucking bigtime, hope you enjoy sucking Mozillas clit!
>>
>>51248434
i use windows because i need to use it, not because i dont care about open source, i dont need closed souce browser to live, and i wont install one on my pc, one botnet is enough
>>
>>51248479
thats why im asking what browser are not based on chrome/firefox, just read >>51248385
carefully next time
>>
>>51247896
Stylish will die when they remove xul and xpcom support.
>>
>>51248483
And that bonehead decision is the reason why you are so frustrated, Mozilla removing one feature you love one by one while Closed Source browsers add these features one by one!

It sucks hard to be a bonehead ignorant! I despise humans like you, you are unwilling to broaden your horizon, while your browser gets more and more bad, no useful alternative you can use is in reach!

Remember this, it is the developers attitude which counts, the business model is of no interest.
>>
>>51246365
Firefox shat all over itself on me today. Images/media in general not loading, page layouts completely fucked up, certificate errors up the ass everywhere, even in Mozilla's website and Google.

Tried everything, from reinstalling to deleting profiles, nothing worked, PC is malware and virus free too. So done with that piece of shit, keeps getting worse by the version.

Changing to Vivaldi for good, and going to install Chromium on the side for the things that Vivaldi still can't handle well. Fuck Firefox for good.
>>
Now I know I can group tabs.
Also not upgrading, I love my theme.
>>
>>51248541
i can live with >no features as long as it wont add botnet modules, the most frustrating thing about firefox for me are these shit botnets like pocket and fuck i cant even remeber them anymore, i will never install closed source, id sooner switch to text based browsers
>>
>>51248603
>keeps using exclamation marks for no reason other than to look like a retard

Yep, I think you're spot on, anon
>>
>>51248603
You do now, there is a limited amount of letters available - only japanese is more complex!

So, sooner or later you meet your "other end" of the universe! And more and more users are just bad mouthing, but to just try and say they are all the same is not the most intelligent thing one can do during a day!
>>
>>51248642
I dare you to take a screencap of that and post it and not edit out all the (You)'s in the process. Or clear you cache. I guarantee they're all you.
>>
>>51248613
That is what is scary. If people would finally stand up and say "i can't live without features and vote therefor with force" minimalism and design only would be that massive around like it is today!

Well, enjoy your worse browser then while there are a massive amount of people who are intelligent and use the best software around, even if it is not necessarily Open Source!

You are acting like a small child! Grow up and become an adult!
>>
Firefox 50.0 Release Notes
>Rewritten from scratch as a fork of Chrome. All previous Mozilla and Gecko code has been removed.
>The "It Gets Better Project" website is now the default new tab page.
>Fixed bug where people could change the default tab page.
>FTP support has been removed.
>Keyboard shortcuts have been removed.
>Ask Toolbar is now bundled by default.
>More messaging services and other crap you never asked for.
>Extension API has been refined to support a much smaller set of functionality and configuration.
>>
>>51248687
>just give me your soul already goy
>>
>>51248658
I do own you nothing, as you are simply not important enough to prove anything. You know the term human rights? Believe what you want, i know myself and this is enough for me
>>
Wait, so what are they going to do with my tabs?
>>
>>51248687
Back to reddit, faggot
>>
>>51247090
Exactly, and this is why I have no bookmarks.
>>
>>51248752
>being this defensive when called a samefag
Just stop shitting up the board, you posted the same shit argument 20 times already. Fuck off.
>>
>>51248729
Careful, soon we are not allowed to write something like goy anymore - you do know SJW is already everywhere! And FBI, NSA or even Angela Merkel from Nazi Germany is kicking your butt...
>>
>>51246833
Get pale moon on linux.
>>
>>51248779
Do you have nothing better to do than to play a wannabe lawyer? I bet it was your most wet dream to be judge - perhaps judge Dredd?
>>
Is it time we fork firefox yet
>>
>>51247859
99% of all addons. bad enough.
>>
>>51247512
Must be your hardware it never crashed on me in 5+years
>>
>>51248821
Palemoon has been around for a while now. Pretty much the best option for retaining all the features, addons, and themes from firefox.
>>
>>51248097
>they shouldn't have introduced tab groups in the first place.
It was one of their bullet-points when they released Firefox 4!

In Firefox 7 they removed the tabgroup-button from the default theme, so you had to manually add it in a new profile.

Bottom line: They hate users.
>>
>>51248864
pale moon is firefox 24 so no modern themes and no modern addons
>>
>>51248900
It has its own set of themes and addons, though. What do you want to install on it that you can't?
>>
does ccd0 4chanx work with palemoon? i remember having problems with it around a year ago
>>
>>51248932
nasa night launch, something else, i forgot
>>
>>51248937
Yep. I'm running it just fine right now.
>>
>>51248809

Back to Dreddit
>>
I didn't know tab groups existed desu, could this make my life easier? I regularly have over 300 tabs open.
>>
>>51250693
How can you do this without grouping?
Do you just scroll them?
>>
>>51250918
Yes and I also use the down arrow on the upper right corner.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.