[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1M$ Indiegogo project has collapsed. Have you ever been inv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 20121103172152-Picture16_copy.jpg (75 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
20121103172152-Picture16_copy.jpg
75 KB, 600x338
1M$ Indiegogo project has collapsed.

Have you ever been involved in crowdfunding projects ? How did it turn our for you ?

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/07/another-1-million-crowdfunded-gadget-company-collapses/
>>
>>51243281
Yeah, I helped fund consoleOS - a port of Android to all sorts of Windows machines with custom UI. It's still not out, but they did get fucked by Lollipop release and lack of support for Android from Intel, so their job got a whole lot harder. They're working on it and posting updates though, so I can't complain too much.
>>
>>51243422
>Intel gives a lot of android support, just look at the Zenfone 2 and all the chink intel atom tablets with Windows 10, they have them all the way up to the cherrytrail.

It's more of a Intel doesn't trust your particular group.
>>
>>51243446
It doesn't for it's core processors, or the baytrail platform.
>>
>>51243281
>The Indiegogo project page states the developement had begun (in at least 2012) on a $1m grant from the US Air Force.
> Today, the company clarified that technically the project has not been canceled yet. The company just needs more money to continue.

Also called a death march.
>>
>>51243476
they got $1M from the US Air Force
$1M in crowdfunding

even if some funds got keked by paypal they should be able to deliver after 3 fucking years.
they are full of shit
you guys got scammed
>>
>>51243664
They are just dumb as fuck with no real world experience.
>hurr I guess all I have to do is get money and every problem I encounter will solve it self, hopefully :^)

I really wonder how they got money from the Air Force to begin with, didn't they want to see a working prototype first? Or a business plan? Anything?
>>
>>51243709
>I really wonder how they got money from the Air Force to begin with
They got a cool project that might end up being useful. A million dollars really isn't all that much money.
>>
i funded code hero. first and last time i've funded a kickstarter.
>>
They probably took the money and got out of sight.
>>
I funded Ouya.

I wanted to fund a gun manufacturer's kickstarter which was raising money for new equipment. The rewards were various 80% lowers and jigs to finish them but I got scared off when I hear these sorts of kickstarters usually don't work out and most of the rewards don't get sent out.
>>
>>51245138
he fell for the Ouya meme :^)
>>
iControlPad 2. First and last. Fuck Craig.
>>
>>51243281
>The project promised a tiny robot that can fly like a bird and hover like an insect — and for $99, too.

any project that says x for $99 is worthless.

My Shenmue 3 donation was 10 billion percent worth it though.
>>
$1,000,000 is basically squat when it comes to designing, prototyping, and mass producing an electronic device.
You might even have a hard time selling pottery, or cookies with that little capital unless you were just a local business. All of these projects aren't local start ups, they're promising to mass produce something in a factory on the other side of the world, then ship it to customers across the globe.

No one trusts Kickstarter or any other crowd funding site as proof of consumer interest for a product. You can't go to a VC and show them how popular your Kickstarter is and ask for more money. Ouya was the final nail in the coffin for that. OVer $8,000,000 in donations, constant social media shilling, and in the end no one wanted the pieces of shit.
The only way you could use crowd funding is if you were doing something very small scale, or you were pretty much already entirely finished and needed some cash on hand to grease the wheels of a factory to do your first production run.

I've been trying to make a prototype controller based off of a little arduino, and firms want thousands of dollars just to 3D print a mock up for you. Injection molding companies want $10,000 or more for just a few samples. A run of 100 prototypes for testing including all the components could easily cost me upwards of $100,000. And all the while you've got to hope that someone along the way doesn't steal your concept then sell it to some chinese firm who will start producing it and selling it on alibaba or aliexpress within the month.
>>
>>51243910
In a civilized nation someone at the Air Force would now get his ass kicked.
Giving out tax payers money to some kids on a go fund me page, without any security, is not really a clever thing to do.
>>
>>51243281
The only thing I've ever funded is that tropes vs women in video games web series.

Pretty good result for my investment imo.

Enjoyed the series of videos.
>>
>funding
you're throwing money away.
>>
>>51245895
>tropes vs women

feminist on /g/ ?
>>
>>51245983
Its bait, don't take it.
This entire thread will derail.
>>
I gave 20$ (and will continue to do so monthly) to gradeAunderA's patreon.

I got a voice clip that says "you have shit to do mate, get on it then!" in his accent.

Worth it.
>>
>>51245323
>My Shenmue 3 donation was 10 billion percent worth it though.
lmao you literally funded an advertising campaign for a game and not the game itself, good going.
>>
>>51245441
>no one wanted the pieces of shit.

People didn't want them because they were pieces of shit. IF they were actually decent, they'd be successful, look at pebble.
>>
>>51243281
Just received my Axent Wear backed from Indiegogo. I pre-preordered the Dragonbox Pyra.
>>
Crowd funding makes no fucking sense.

You aren't investing in the project.

You're gambling your money in the hopes for early access to something.

You don't get any shares in the project. You don't get a share of the profits. You give them an interest free unrecoverable loan.
>>
>>51246080

good engineers aren't necessarily good entrepreneurs

these retards have little to no idea how the millions they gathered should be managed
>>
>>51246116
In OUYA's case they weren't good anything.
>>
>>51246110
They don't view it as an investment, they see it as early access or pre-sales with everything a pre-sale implies. People are barely starting to realize that crowdfunding is a gamble.
>>
>>51246110
The thing is with some of the projects it's now or never. The board game and toy ones usually turn out okay.
>>
>>51245983
It's silly how tropes vs women is one of the few kickstarter projects that is actually getting realized though.
I can see the doners being satisifed with their donations.
>>
>>51245269
>Rothwell

Kek /pol/'s never wrong
>>
>>51245743
>make Kickstarter page
>make cool thing that flies
>get money from military
>osama industries mysteriously collapses
>????
>use money to buy 7 year old wives
>>
>>51243281
I funded Snooperscope, a nightvision camera for cell phones on kickstarter. First of all, they delivered it almost a year late. Secondly, the wireless interface is horrible to work with. It only works (sometimes) with their provided app, and you can connect it to your computer but it's basically a debugging mode that they don't mention in the manual. The build quality is also far worse than they promised, and the most annoying part is that it doesn't stick to the back of your phone as they show in all the promotional pictures, not even with an iPhone 4/4s which they show in the pictures. This is partly because the magnets are about an order of magnitude too weak (to save money I'm guessing), but also because the camera is about 50% longer in reality than the prototype was in pictures. The latter is probably due to the surprisingly large amount of heat generated by the camera. I can't say I'm impressed by the efforts of the developers, but then again it wasn't super expensive so I guess you get what you pay for. I am glad I didn't pay the retail price which was about twice as much though.
>>
>>51247005
at least you received the end product

seems like crowdfunding isn't worth the risks
>>
>>51243281
>a bunch of fucking nobodies can't solve issues people who have PhDs can't solve when they get money thrown at them
Stop the presses.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.