[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people use emacs instead of vi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1425833547721.jpg (83 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
1425833547721.jpg
83 KB, 900x563
Why do people use emacs instead of vi?
>>
Try spacemacs.
>>
>>51242477
Why do people use vi instead of nano?
>>
>>51242523
I love vi key bindings.
>>
Vi is just a text editor with shitty modal editing that some people like, for some reason.

Emacs is a feature-complete IDE, extremely portable and highly customizable with its simple yet powerful Lisp script engine. You can also implement vi's only notable gimmick, modal editing, with the Evil Mode plugin, which means there's no reason to use vi/vim if you have the choice of using either it or Emacs.
>>
>>51242523
nano is easy for beginners however it has limitation such as speed, memory, and of course the kind binding abilities.

VI is best for scripting while nano is best for edition pre-existing configuration files.
>>
>>51242477
http://emacs.sexy
>>
Why do people use vim instead of vi?
>>
>>51242582
do they?
>>
File: 1444955877704.gif (1 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1444955877704.gif
1 MB, 540x540
Why do people use pdksh instead of ksh93?
>>
Why do people use /g/ instead of /tech/?
>>
>>51242558
thanks I guess I'll try explaining that to my boss tomorrow. He was getting frustrated with vi the other day and I haven't told him about nano yet.
>>
>>51242639
Because you can't spill the soy in /tech/
>>
>>51242674
in his .nanorc, put
set nowrap
set smooth
set softwrap

set nowrap is the most important one because nano hard wraps text to the display width by default (because it was modeled after an email message editor), and that's screwed me up on machines where I forgot it on and had to edit a long config line

the others are just nice things I like

>>51242582
it's vi with more features and customizability
>>
>>51242477
far better extensibility, writing anything in Vim script is a pain in the ass, and writing asynchronous code is almost impossible.
things will change with NeoVim tho
>>
>>51242477
Probably because lisp is the best programming language
>>
>>51242552
emacs becomes nano once you run it in terminal
>>
Emacs.

I love the OS, but the text editor is pretty terrible.
>>
emacs is the systemd of text editors
>>
>>51242477
Vi/emacs are both retarded. This is 2015 people, time use an IDE.
>>
>>51242491
/thread
>>
>>51242523
This desu senpai.
>>
>>51242477
I don't know. I still use DOS edit for most of my code.
>>
File: 1278315784214.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1278315784214.png
386 KB, 667x670
>>51247732

> time to work on my website
> open Webio Publish 2016
> go grab coffee while it loads
> drag and drop elements because I don't know HTML
> need to edit the script that populates this table
> open JSkript XS 2
> go to bathroom, get back, almost done loading
> click back and forth between editors to make sure I am using all the right names
> crap, this data is missing from the database
> open C-Kwell DBViewer Pro (Premium)
> grab a snack while tables are loading
> shoot, I guess I forgot to add the backend function to populate that table
> open MicroBot Digital Workroom 13
> only takes 90 seconds to load, I'll just wait this one out
> this should be easy, let's just refactor this old class to work with the new table
> need to upgrade my license to use this feature
> go online, pay $300 for MicroBot Digital Workroom 14
> I don't mind the price, I've heard the new version has some features that will save me a lot of time
> config was lost during the upgrade, need to set up a new project
> get everything set up, time to make this change
> computer crashes because I ran out of memory
> oh well, I'll just try again tomorrow
>>
>>51242477
>Octopus has 8 tentacles
>Humans have 10 fingers
Human win every time
>>
>>51250559
kekd
>>
>>51250559
Don't use calculator for webdev mate
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.