[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do you/don't you use freeBSD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (11 KB, 284x300) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
11 KB, 284x300
why do you/don't you use freeBSD?
>>
because im waiting for nextbsd
>>
It's not rms approved.
>>
because OpenBSD exists
>>
>>51242084
OpenBSD is literally garbage
>>
It's in my PS4.
>>
>>51242076
ironically, one could really argue about which system is more free as in freedom.
Having a big ass licence vs literally no licence
>>
>>51242195
>literally no license
actually there is a license, and its license is much more free than the GPL. the only restriction is you have to give credit to the original author
>>
>>51242218
that's what I mean
how can't it be rms approved, it is baffling
RMS is just pushing his communist agenda, don't be mistaken about that
>>
>>51242084
My nigger.
>>
>>51242034
Kek license.
Less drivers than Linux.
Less software than Linux.

I kind of feel bad for the BSDfags, but life's a bitch, and Linux beat you guys. Them's the breaks.
>>
>>51242034
Because I'm going to reinstall it on the laptop I installed it on, I forgot where I was at in ricing it and there was a new release anyways.

>>51242084
>>51242133
I wonder how intense any rivalry between FreeBSD and OpenBSD would be?

>>51242076
That's a stupid reason not to do something.

>>51242195
>>51242218
I don't have a problem with either license, but the BSD license has less rules (the only rule that license has isn't one I'd want to break anyways).

>>51242305
I don't get why there's apparently so many fanboys who just let Stallman (or anyone) dictate his opinions to them instead of forming their own opinion.

>>51242321
>Less drivers than Linux.
>Less software than Linux.

True enough, but that's as Linux is to Windows.
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1445804525382.jpg (25 KB, 326x623) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1445804525382.jpg
25 KB, 326x623
I tried Freebsd about a year ago, it seemed to work just fine

The MAJOR problem I had was getting info on how to do stuff/fix shit, there is like 10000x more documentation available for Linux problems.
>>
>>51242034
Because it's like using some outdated obscure Linux distro one guy is struggling and failing to maintain.
If any of the BSDs could get their shit together I'd use them. As it is and has always been though, their "UNIX philosophy" just makes using BSD as a desktop OS even more of a pain in the ass than any of the Free Software Foundation approved Linux distros.
>>
>>51242388
>india girl

poo in loo
>>
>>51242416
superb memeing kid
>>
>>51242426
[poo] --> [loo] !!! (it must be represented visually so indiatards will understand)

Okay it was funny for a minute, but now I'm bored of this.
>>
>>51242443
>i posted an indian woman therefore i must be indian
i wonder if the americunts know how retarded they look
i bet you are going to call me british or european next
>>
>>51242454
>I take every post on 4chan very seriously

How's that working out for you?
>>
>>51242454
I would just call you a pleb.
>>
*BSD is the promised land for operating systems. Thankfully, the memes about it being too "hard" to use for a desktop OS keep the retards out, and therefore the community benefits greatly from it, unlike Linux's which is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>51242480
Seems pretty true, except, Randi Harper is a retard, and why do these stupid bitches keep showing up to be dramaqueens everyone notices in all of my hobbies?
>>
>anita sarkeesian (video games)
>zoe quinn (video games)
>adria richards (programming)
>randi harper (does she actually even...?)

Not all of my hobbies, but definitely two significant ones.
>>
>>51242034
>BSD
>desktop
Are you serious
>>
Anyways, I'm sorry for all of the times I have been an idiot in these threads. Somehow, it's suddenly been easier for me to see how much of an idiot I've been on /g/. So I'll stop.
>>
>>51242480
it's not even that hard, i would only use it as a server anyway, which I might do if there was better documentation, but according to you better documentation would also kill the community

i don't get why a distro being difficult to use makes it good, freebsd is not really technically superior to linux

it says something about you that you're trumpeting a distro because it has a small and obscure community because there seems to be a deliberate culture of making things hard to do

the whole fucking point of operating systems is to get things done, and if freebsd is going to be a barrier to that, then why do you even use it and not the one that lets you get things done?

you're a fucking moron
>>
It was too involved. Not that this is a failure of FreeBSD - if I had the time, I'm sure I'd quickly get to the same level of proficiency I have with GNU+Linux. But I don't, and I really don't want to spend my weekend trying to get my desktop back to the state it was in on Friday night.

With that said, I have set up FreeBSD+KDE a few times. The parts I disliked were that I had to run HALD, despite the project being dead for half a decade. That nouveau isn't available so I need to run Nvidia's proprietary blob. That the KDE package pulls in what looks like every KDE package available to FreeBSD (a failure on my part, I suspect). The lack of read-write support for XFS - which was more a chore than a technical hurdle, since I had to find a spare disk to put things on while I convert my raid1 to UFS. And a few other niggling things like my audio not automatically switching when I insert headphones.

I think if I was going to spend a weekend playing with BSD, I'd rather one of the other BSDs. Like NetBSD or DragonflyBSD.
>>
http://pastebin.com/v7KcSXYZ

stupid 4chan system
>>
>>51242655
>but according to you better documentation would also kill the community
How? Only smart people use BSD. Thus its docs are well-written.

>freebsd is not really technically superior to linux
Sure it is. See its jails, dtrace, and ZFS.

>then why do you even use it and not the one that lets you get things done?
Explain why you think using a BSD would be less productive than using a Linux.

Also stop calling BSD's "distros".
>>
File: 6590.png (161 KB, 872x882) Image search: [Google]
6590.png
161 KB, 872x882
no gaems
>>
>>51242721
>Sure it is. See its jails, dtrace, and ZFS.
Those are not the only things that constitute a good OS, dumbass

>Explain why you think using a BSD would be less productive than using a Linux.
Because if I have a problem that isn't already covered by someone on the shitty freebsd forum, it probably doesn't have a fix, and makes me want to install Linux again.

>>51242747
fuck off
>>
>>51242034
Because I don't see a single reason to use it over more familiar Linux.
>>
>>51242758
Sounds like you should stay on Linux then. BSD doesn't need incompetent users like you.
>>
>>51242721
>Only smart people use BSD.
Like every community, the forums exist to demonstrate the opposite. I'm also not sure how your statement stands when a sizable portion of FreeBSD developers use OSX. What should users take away from that? Not that the majority use OSX, not even close to a majority - but when there are people involved in the project saying "I don't use FreeBSD on my desktop", you need to ask "why should I?".

>>51242711
>Personally though in recent years I think NetBSD and OpenBSD has superseded FreeBSD in terms of O.S. interest.
I'm not sure about NetBSD. There's been some renewed interest with EdgeBSD, but the project is still very niche. I suspect it has a lot to do with dogfood. OpenBSD's desktop and laptop support is miles ahead of FreeBSD. This is also the case with DragonFly BSD, who have support for more recent Radeon devices and Linux kernels. The fact that IX Systems decided a distribution of FreeBSD was the best way to make the desktop first-class on FreeBSD is disappointing and a statement on the direction FreeBSD as a whole is taking.

As in "jails and ZFS are our best features so we should lean into them as hard as possible, even if they aren't particularly useful on workstations who want to run Firefox and only have 4GB of Non-ECC RAM".
>>
File: u mad?.png (125 KB, 338x341) Image search: [Google]
u mad?.png
125 KB, 338x341
>>51242655
>>51242758
>mfw it hasn't been difficult for me
>>
>>51242480
No, all the empirical evidence showing that it's outdated garbage keeps the sensible people out. The freebsd forums are almost as much a shithole as the ubuntu forums.

>>51242721
>jails
That's placebo security. Something that linux already has an equivalent to.

>dtrace and ZFS
Just because those are ported to freebsd doesn't mean they work decently on it. Offices I've seen that currently have solaris are either content in doling out money to oracle, or just migrating to a production capable linux distro.
>>
>>51242034
My software choices tend to reside in the parts of the ports tree that don't receive nearly enough love. A scientific computing tool that required multiple parallel installations and some makefile voodoo on FreeBSD was packaged exactly how I wanted it in Debian-main, so I switched my server. For the desktop I prefer Linux in general, especially on laptops. Where I do run Unix, it's OpenBSD or Illumos.
>>
tfw BSD has higher quality gpu drivers than GNU/Linux because bsd devs aren't obsessed with MUH FREEDUMZ
>>
>>51242962
>>tfw BSD has higher quality gpu drivers
>NVIDIA and Intel drivers are upstream
>Radeon drivers literally ported from Linux 3.8.
Q U A L I T Y
U
A
L
I
T
Y
>>
File: implying.png (362 KB, 1560x685) Image search: [Google]
implying.png
362 KB, 1560x685
>>51242962
tfw You have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>51242798
why am i incompetent if i come up against some problem that no other freebsd fuck has?

should the os be a hindrance or just werk? seems like you people don't understand the point of operating systems, as i said earlier
>>
>>51243021
>should the os be a hindrance or just werk?
Since you use Linux I think we both know your real answer to that.
>>
>>51243166
ok kid
>>
Because all UNIX operating systems are shit.
>>
it's ass
>>
I use the OpenBSD and twm "desktop" (with all Xorg extensions disabled, and VESA server only).

>>51242747
> ls /usr/games/ 
adventure* cribbage* morse* sail*
arithmetic* factor* number* snake*
atc* fish* phantasia* teachgammon*
backgammon* fortune* pig* tetris*
banner* gomoku* pom* trek*
battlestar* grdc* ppt* wargames*
bcd* hack* primes* worm*
boggle* hangman* quiz* worms*
bs* hunt* rain* wump*
caesar* huntd* random*
canfield* mille* robots*
cfscores* monop* rot13*
>>
>>51242388
fuck off rajesh
>>
>>51242368
Yes, Linux has fewer drivers and less software compared to Windows. But, unlike BSD, Linux has enough.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.