[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power line Adapters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
Just recently had Google Fiber installed but I don't get very good signal in my room so my speeds aren't as great as they should be. I can't run Ethernet into the network box because it is too far away. Would a power line adapter be a good choice and if so, what would /g/ recommend?
>>
>>51241599
1. good choice
2. cheapest one you can get
>>
>>51241599
BUY A SWITCH AND SOME CAT-5E

ARE YOU STUPID
>>
>>51241723
This, unless you're having problem with connectivity through thick walls.

Power line adapters are hella slow if they are on different fuses.

Just get a AC capable router or a switch and draw some 1Gbps cables.
>>
>>51241599
never had one myself, but my parents use one to get internet on their tv. it seems to work fine, but we couldn't have one certain lamp plugged into the plug next tothe adapter, because apparently the lamp drew too much power and the adapter wouldn't work properly anymore.
>>
>>51241599
How the fuck do they work? Isn't there a whole bunch of ripple and fluctuations in the power grid?
>>
>>51241795
Yes, but much like Wifi it sends multiple packages in hope for a whole package to get sent and returned back with a proper TCP/IP handshake.
>>
>>51241795
I'd want too
>>
>>51241599
Have had all this time to plan and just now realize your Google fiber outpaces your current shitnetwork?
>>
>>51241599
Werks fine in my network, family.
My router is 3 rooms away from my computer. I hate wifi so I'm using power line.
>>
hey OP, do you like housefires?

when your house burns down and they find that shit along with your dangerously wired high output supercomputer, the insurance company isn't gonna pay shit.

invest in a good fire extinguisher and some smoke alarms.
>>
They work and do the job just fine if your wifi is crap but you have google fiber, you won't be able to fully utilise the capacity of it with powerline internet, not even close, it's a big waste. Run cat5 through your roof if you have to.
>>
>>51241805
That sounds horribly inaccurate.
Wouldn't wifi be better? And if it's too far he can always use a repeater?
>>
>>51241815

I have to use an ethernet cable and hook it up to one of their TV boxes that connects to the network box through WiFi. My issue is that it is slow as fuck.

>>51241723
I don't know much about networking. How would a switch work?
>>
>>51241599
Not worth it.

Just get a large Ethernet cable and run it through the wall.
>>
>>51241896
A switch is just like your router without wifi capabilities, In simple terms.
>>
I never understood how powerline internet works. I haven't even seen one.
>>
>>51241886
Huh, I must've worded it incorrectly.

Well Wifi or cable, it doesn't matter.
TCP/IP sends until it manages to get a package sent then sent back.
Unlike IPX that sends and hopes it got through.

If we had IPX over Wifi and power line connections you'd not get that much of an enjoyable experience to say the least.

Latencies rise when using Wifi for that reason.
The same happens when you use power line connections.

>use a repeater
This is a good way to connect it while still maintaining as little interference as possible, thus lowering ping.
Or he can go for CAT6 or higher and simply use the high bandwidth and MHz to make up for the distance.
If the cable connection is too long it will jump back to 100Mbps while still having no affect on ping.

So in the end it's how important he feels ping/latencies matter.

>>51241921
I wonder if he knows what a hub is. :3
Those where so painful to use back in the days.
No full duplex man... So barbaric.
>>
File: netgear pl1200.jpg (96 KB, 1500x1247) Image search: [Google]
netgear pl1200.jpg
96 KB, 1500x1247
>>51241607
>2. cheapest one you can get
not if you want more than 5mbps at a decent distance.
I've got the netgear pl1200 and I can get a decent 60mbps on the other side of the house.
>>
>>51241921
I have a spare Linksys EA4500 router sitting around. Could that be used?
>>
>>51241947
Yes, but you have to make sure that the modem and the router don't have the same internal ip
>>
>>51242027
Alright. I'll look into it. Thanks.
>>
>>51241607
Mine works fine but with an actual nutter connection like google fiber you may kek yourself with powerline.

But don't get a cheap one. Make sure its at least the highest powerline speed you can get which is 500mbps(?) I think
>>
I use one. I have a 2 port powerline adapter running from one side of the house to another. I ended up getting about 60Mbps on it, with the actual top speed of my network being 160Mbps. I lost a lot of speed by going over the power lines, but it's still incredibly fucking good compared to the previous wireless connection that was in place. I was forbidden from running any cables so I grudgingly bought the powerline adapter, but surprisingly, it's a very nice piece of equipment. YMMV of course, maybe if your power lines are very old it might be a bad idea to try running internet over them. But for reference I am in a trailer that was built in the 70s and it works just fine.
>>
>>51241599

Unless both adapters are on the same circuit you'll run into issues with packet loss because of the main breaker switch.
>>
>>51242143
read the thread.
>>51241740
>Power line adapters are hella slow if they are on different fuses.
>>
>>51242166

but why?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
117 KB, 1440x1080
>>51242166
>read the thread
>>
>>51242179
>>51242176
>3rd post
>>
>>51242187

nobody has explain the why in this thread.

all the 'why' is 'hurr different fuses'.

explain electrically.
>>
>>51242217
They're too far away from each other
>>
>>51242227

but all the fuses are right next to each other in the fuse box.........
>>
>>51242242
You have a circuit breaker interrupting packets
>>
>>51242242
In lay mans terms:

Breakers also filter bad/noisy power.

That includes your power line adapters.
>>
>>51242217

power wiring =/= network cabling

powerline adapters are ghetto networking
>>
>>51241599
better than nothing. but really figure out something to get ethernet going
>>
>>51242255

that's the proper answer we needed.

good on you anon.

>>51242273

yeah we got that.
>>
powerline ethernet could potentially be almost as disappointing as wifi for gigabit fibre. If your electrical wiring is good and the distance is short, you will get decent speeds, but nowhere near a gigabit.

The answer to these type of questions is always, always Cat5E
>>
File: Untitled.png (24 KB, 989x663) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24 KB, 989x663
>>51242217
Because of bottlenecking.

Your motherboard does the same.
Previous gens had a north and a south bridge.
North for ram and such, but since it's en external connection it's slower than the internal one in the CPU that current ones use.

Any interruption/filtering cuts off the TCP/IP connections meaning it have to send more and hope some get through.
>>
>can afford Google Fiber
>can't afford a decent router or wiring up the place
>comes to 4chan for advice
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>51242292

yeah i know about NB and SB.

i just find it interesting that house wiring and breakers really slow down the internet as much as /g/ claims or if they're just spoiled by 100 megabit over ethernet cables.
>>
>>51242293
>>can afford Google Fiber

It's less than $100/month isn't it anon?

>>can't afford a decent router or wiring up the place

Maybe anon lives in a rental?
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-08+at+10.14.40).jpg (25 KB, 745x84) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-08+at+10.14.40).jpg
25 KB, 745x84
>>51241599
I recently purchased one and it's been pretty good overall.

I couldn't pull ethernet, the wifi was shit (really far away).

I was getting 50ms 12/0.94 u/d Mbps at best.

Now I'm getting full speed, but the house is new and the powergrid strong and reliable. If you're living in an old house/appartement with a dated grid I wouldn't recommend it.

Also some applianced might introduce interferences (washing machines, large ovens, etc), I had some problem where I would lose the signal on some outlets, I never found out what was the cause.

Or maybe it's just the TP-Link PLA that is shit. I've heard bad things about them (sync/performance issues) even if the specs are glorious.
I'd say avoid TP-Link, but for months now it's been super fast and reliable.
>>
>>51242314
they do slow it down. My dad has 500mbps powerline adapters. He gets 60mbps throughput.
>>
>>51242314
It's not only the Mbps that slows down but you get way more latencies.

So say goodbye to games if you want to use those things.
>>
>>51242318

What's your actual plan speed?
>>
>>51242314
>spoiled
>getting what I paid for (really fast internet) is not considered spoiled
>>
>>51242326
30/1 down/up
>>
If shit is on a different circuit, of course you're going to get shitty or no signal. You're trying to pass a data signal through something that is going to modify the electrical current before it reaches its destination. Of fucking course it's going to lose data. Why do you think you can't use them with a power strip?
>>
>>51242330
So it's DSL and not broadband or fiber then.
>>
>>51242330

Nice anon, that's decent then.

>>51242334

Does that matter?
>>
>>51242349
DSL is shit because you get no upload speed even though it shouldn't.
They limit you for no reason.
TCP/IP sends both ways, so you need upload as well as download.
>>
>>51242354
We're discussing about poweline adapters right ?
>>
>>51242374
Yes, and what do they do?
They send data through TCP/IP

TCP/IP sends data and expect a reply before sending new data, if no data is sent back, it will send the old data again (adding latencies).

IPX on the other hand have the lowest latency, but suffer from out of sync and data corruption so instead of just spams out data in hope for the receiving end to pick up.
>>
File: Untitled.png (260 KB, 699x456) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
260 KB, 699x456
I guess I need to figure out a way to run cable to the other side of my house. The fiber jack is located in the living room and my PC is upstairs.

These speeds aren't bad but I'm missing out on a lot.
>>
>>51242354
That's why it's called ADSL (the A is Asymmetric). The upload part of the spectrum is smaller to allow higher download speeds, which is what people usually want. If you want faster upload you have to sacrifice some download speed.
>>
>>51241599
So are you all telling me that if I run it as an extender off a different line than the one the router/modem is on performance will suffer but if I run it as an access point with an ethernet cable, performance will...?
>>
File: drill.jpg (8 KB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
8 KB, 300x262
>>51242434
>>
>>51242434

>missing out on a lot

your speeds are amazing, come on ground yourself for a minute.
>>
File: Untitled.png (200 KB, 683x383) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
200 KB, 683x383
>>51242478
It could be this though.
>>
>2016
>not having your home completely hardwired with 1Gb Cat6 ethernet
>>
>>51241599
Power line adapters get a shit ton of interference. It'll work but it's going to be so gimped.
>>
>>51242549

>2016
>Australia
>not having your own home because old cunts won't move into care homes and drive property prices up to 20 times their value
> Average house now more than $500,000 dollarydoos
>>
>>51242638
>Average house now more than $500,000 dollarydoos
I thought that was a good price? I expect to pay much more. Australian here.
>>
>>51242638
Look at those Sydney prices.

TOP FUCKING KEK.

Be cheaper to rent a fucking hotel for the rest of your life.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.