[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Questions Thread - SQT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: Dwight.jpg (59 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Dwight.jpg
59 KB, 300x300
Post your stupid/short questions here!

You are NOT entitled to a reply, so please don't bump for replies.

Also, take a few moments to search your problem before posting it.

Thanks, everyone.
>>
File: MemCache.png (8 KB, 543x186) Image search: [Google]
MemCache.png
8 KB, 543x186
Ok, I need to know how to decrease the size of Standby Memory.

And, don't give me a lecture.
I know what the fuck it's used for. Just tell me how to decrease the size to... say... 2GB.
When left alone for a while, it fills up almost all available memory, and then it doesn't dump. I've had BSOD and hard crashes saying I'm out of available memory when my "used" memory is like... half of my total memory.

I would prefer something I can either do graphically or in the Command Prompt.
>>
>>51240733
Mpc-hc is throwing hissy fit when playing 10bit 1080p HEVC video.
Basically bashes my 2 ULV cores on my Celeron 2957U to 100% making the video stop run at 2 fps per second.

The player itself is up to date to most stable version.
Running mad vr with the setting on the install gentoo wiki and so far never had problems.
Disabling DXVA does nothing,updating Inter drivers also did nothing.

Now newest Lav filters log on git shows has changes considering this particular format.
When downloading them and trying to play with VLC the file shows artifacts and it is unwatchable.

Downloaded Pot player and the files work fine.

What can be the problem?
Mad VR,LAV or something else
>>
using qbittorent atm, willing to switch
I want something like an archive list of previously downloaded torrents
so that when I move the completed torrent from folder it doesn't have "missing files".
>>
Why has Dwight become the face of SQT?
>>
CMOS battery is draining fast on my old P4 rig.
I changed it like a month ago and now its shows the symptoms again.
I know the mobo is failing but which part of it?
>>
>>51242919
He always has stupid questions and continually says "QUESTION".
>>
Laptops, how much is enough?
My father is planning on buying a new laptop, so I want to find one that would last him a looong time
No need for GPU, iGPU will do fine, but is the meme resolution 768 still fine or should I look for FHD, and the biggest question is the processors, holy fuck laptop processors are bullshit with no end i3, i5, m? Anything else in processors?
Very basic uses for the laptop, basically no workload except maybe some MS Office, but I want it to last a long time so some power and a little upgradeability like a slot for SSD and additional ram is a plus
Not really asking for a specific model, just what parts to look for/avoid and what brands to stay away from
>>
>>51242933
usually such a board is treated as a single unit.
replace mb if possible
u having F1 / clock issues?
>>
What is the best alternative to ESS?
It fucks up my wifi hotspot lately and doesnt let me play lol. Exceptions dont work for shit so I'll just use something else.
I'm trying to find something that I won't need to buy, maybe something with user/pass that I can get online.
>>
>>51243184
>u having F1 / clock issues
yes,my father uses it for work.
I must keep it alive if possible and figure out what to do once I go to visit him next week.
>>
need a hand installing xubuntu to a hard drive partition, is it possible?

currently running botnet 7
>>
>>51243154
the meme resolution would be the best for him since font scaling in wangblows doesn't work for every app correctly and if he's old he might be struggling with sight a little and the tiny ass text in 1080p might frustrate him. For word and browsing my celeron m 540 from 2007 works fast enough so just buy whatever is cheap on the shelf, it'll work just fine.
>>
Honestly, /g/, I need assistance.
I have recently gotten and installed Ubuntu, and it's a blast compared to the Wangblows 10 I used before.

My question is, how does a total pleb such as myself get into console commands and compilers? I frequent the /g/entoo wiki for advice, but any advice here is appreciated.

Should I just memorize the syntax commands or do something else as well? Thanks, /g/.

>mfw linux is god-tier
>mfw I have been missing out these past 10 years
>>
>>51243275
I've recently used lenovo g50-30 which is a fairly recent and had some intel N processor, which was fucking shit and seemed worse than my fathers old laptop which is probably more than 5 years for sure, so I don't want the laptop to be slow as shit
FHD wouldn't be a problem for him, I just think that higher than 768 would feel nicer and more of an upgrade
>>
Windowmaker, Afterstep, or LXDE for lightweght install?
>>
Why is CAS latency so fucking high on most DDR4 modules?

Looking at the mhz speed DDR4 seems like a big step forward but CAS latency's are equaly important or maybe even more important and are often much higher on DDR4 modules compared to DDR3 modules
>>
What is some good VM software to use? I had VMWare 7 ages back, and I just installed it about half an hour ago to try it out again.

It crashed my computer before installation was complete and upon reboot, my laptop's keyboard and touchpad drivers had been lost, or corrupted, or disabled or something, and yet there was no VMWare entry in the Remove Programs list. Had to do a fucking system restore from a week ago to get everything running again, so I don't even know what I've lost at this point.
>>
So I'm about to update cyanogenmod how does it work?
Does it reformat everything and it's an easy upgrade? Or do I have to root again and everything
>>
>>51243301
Try this book.
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php/
>>
Which Firefox derivative is the most updated without the bloat (Pocket etc.) ?
>>
>>51243497
You could compile firefox from source and strip out all the bloat yourself.
>>
>>51243535
If he was that knowledgeable and had those abilities he wouldn't be asking a simple question like he did, genius
>>
What's the most commonly used/approved W8.1 unlocker?

MTK, KMS or others?
>>
So my mouse's wireless USB adapter got lost. Is the mouse wasted?
>>
>>51243596
>Windows
Botnet
>Windows Unlocker
Botnet
>Pirated Windows
Botnet

Botnet + Botnet + Botnet = 3(Botnet) = ???
>>
>>51243451
Not sure if this translates, but this is how most ROM updates work.

Download the latest version.
Place it on you phone.
Boot into TWRP.
Create backup using TWRP. (optional)
Flash new update. Wipe cache when asked.
>I don't think you have to flash SuperSU. I'm pretty sure CMOD has built in root, but not 100% sure
Recover from the backup you made. ONLY data. Do not leave anything except Data checked in for recovery. (again, optional, if you're afraid you might lose data as a result of updating, which is unlikely)
Reflash xposed framework if you use it. Wipe cache.
Reboot to system and you're good.
>>
>>51243475
Thanks, no words can express my appreciation for such a resource.
You have my gratitude, /g/entleman.
>>
>>51243497
waterfox or cyberfox?
i'd stick to firefox, though. if you can't handle the new features, turn them off.
>>
>>51243449
virtualbox is baller
>>
How can I make a wifi hotspot on my PC, broadcasting my Eth card out through my wifi card, in windows?
>>
Now that YIFY is officially dead, which releases should I dl?
>>
Asked a question in the earlier thread so here goes again.

Soft modded wii running USB loader GX.

I try to run some titles but just end up with a black screen and and then need to the pull the plug on the Wii , what can I do ?
>>
Every time I start Steam for the first time (either after a startup, after a Steam platform update or whenever that version of Steam is starting for the first time in this session), I get this message (pic related). Then I close the window, and try for the second time, and it can connect. This can be reproduced with pretty much 100% accuracy.

Why the fuck is this happening and how can I fix it? I'm on Windows 7 btw.
>>
>>51244796
virtual router manager
>>
>>51244854
>https://www.yify-torrent.org/
Is a mirror site,don't listen to anyone saying it a fake site when I downloaded shit from it and I still am from 2 years ago.
>>
>>51244945
just grab any other popular release and smear Vaseline on your eyes
>>
>>51245075
Days are of doing that are over for me,got myself comfy private tracker.
I was just answering a question.
>>
>>51245119
Private trackers are an useless hassle since modern internet speeds.
>>
>>51245276
if you say so.I dont like to pay for blurays and on private trackers 90% of them are fl.
I'm ok with it.
>>
Firefox keeps on freezing, it's starting to get really frustrating, any thing I can do about it?
>>
>>51245329
same here, i think ff40 was the last version where this didn't happen.
>>
How do I find my private IP address on Linux Mint? This is proving to be quite difficult to figure out...
>>
>>51244796
select both adapters in network center
right click
bridge
>>
>>51245425
ifconfig
>>
>>51245452
Yeah, and that's giving me a buttload of numbers, which one is my private IP?
>>
Is there any way to get live streams to work on youtube in firefox without installing flash player?
>>
>>51245475
you should seriously consider stop doing drugs to save your last 3 braincells
>>
>>51245493
use gaming.youtube.com instead of www.youtube.com

The live steaming player on the gaming site works, but the one on the main site doesn't for some reason.
>>
>>51240733
How the fuck do I access bios with rampage ii gene? my pc boots too fast for me to read
>>
>>51245531
hit del, if that doesn't work try f2, if that doesnt work, f12 ?... or just READ THE FUCKING MANUAL FUCKING MORON
>>
>>51245548
YOU DID IT, DEL WORKED. PRAISE
THANK YOU FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY AUTISM
>>
File: 0995 - cppgxTn.png (51 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
0995 - cppgxTn.png
51 KB, 240x232
how to hack?
>>
tldr: high ram voltage - ded PSU or mobo?

I've been getting lots of bsods lately, at first I thought it's just the usual windows thing because memtest and linux ran just fine. But then I noticed very high memory voltage reported in bios - 2.6V while normal for DDR2 is 1.8-2.2V. All other voltages are OK.
I tried turning it off and on again, reseating ram, resetting cmos but what fixed it was reflashing. Or so I thought for two days until shit happened again, and this time reflashing did nothing.
As you can guess from my mention of ddr2, the mobo is fucking ancient and should have died long ago, although capacitors look okay.
PSU is pretty old too but back then it was the best most expensive highest watage thing available, also the three PSU-supplied voltages are within 3%.
What do?
>>
>>51240733
My brother asked me advice on getting a laptop between $500-$750. He is not tech savy and won't run Linux (so Thinkpads are kind of out of the picture). He also would like kind of the latest tech because he wants to run Fifa 16 on it (only needs to run, not high graphics). Any ideas?
>>
What did you guys use to root your Android phone? Why is there no open source root method?
>>
how similar is the syntax of c# to java? How long would it take me to learn it if i'm decent at java?
>>
>>51243256
so i just tried installing xubuntu onto a 250gb partition on my hd and booted into it with yumi, but trying to boot into xubuntu results in
>No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
and trying to boot into windows results in
>boot:
help help help help help help help help help
>>
>>51246949
lmao
>>
>>51246949
i booted into xubuntu from my external hard drive and formatted the partition i made earlier, but now booting into windows results in
>SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD 2014-10-06 Copyright (C) 1994-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
>Failed to load ldlinux.c32
>Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.
>>
>>51247092
lol
>>
>>51247111
you're fucking helpful
>>>/b/
>>
>>51247124
ur windoze is gone u rekt ur own pc

reinstall windows lad
>>
File: dankmeme.jpg (35 KB, 593x640) Image search: [Google]
dankmeme.jpg
35 KB, 593x640
So I dropped all users from the default users table in MySQL and can't figure out how to add a root user with all privileges.

I just assumed that I could access it from phpmyadmin but since it needs to connect to the database like any other service, I can't access it.
>>
When I have Precision X running, it causes Foobar's UI to freeze. It doesn't crash, it will still play and I can interact with it, but the window doesn't update. Anyone know why?
>>
If I want to get some Pentium and Z-series motherboard for now to upgrade CPU later (in a few months) what generation should I get? Is DDR4 actually better in any significant way? Don't really care about temperature/noise, anything would be better than 130W Phenom.

>>51245977
anyone?
>>
>>51247312
>DDR4 actually better in any significant way
no absolutely no improvement in anything.
0.5fps in games wont change a thing.
>>
File: pudoo.png (121 KB, 288x279) Image search: [Google]
pudoo.png
121 KB, 288x279
>>51247144
i got back into my windows and xubuntu is installed alongside
who's shitposting now faggot
>>
When I highlight something and right click to search for it, nothing happens anymore. It should be opening a new tab with my search results, but instead I get nothing. Any ideas what's wrong and/or how I might be able to fix it?
>>
>>51247312
Also is G3258 still the official /g/ cpu? Looking at various i3s they look like Pentium with HT and I thought HT is actually bad, right?
>>
If my torrent client is set to use a proxy, is there any reason to enable force encryption?
>>
Does a service like Apple Pay / Google Wallet for Blackberry 10? (Verizon, USA)
>>
cccp updated like a month ago
im reading and apparently i have to uninstall all codecs/filters and reset settings to update it
the changelog doesn't list all that's changed, is it worth upgrading?
>>
have recently bought a notebook for my parents. it has windows 8.1 installed and it is upgradable to windows 10 of course.
i want to upgrade it, a clean installation, because it has lot of bloat from hp.
to have a genuine and legally version of windows 10, do i need to update 8.1 to 10 and after that download the iso of windows 10 from microsoft website and reinstall it again?

i'm a bit confused about it, and a little help would be much appreciated.
>>
should I update my bios if it says:

"Update microcode 19."

How do I know which microcode that is and for what processors?
>>
>>51247821
yes update it to the newest available.
It it says that shit again you have wrong processor for the wrong socket.
>>
what browser is it that I keep seeing on all the /g/ riced desktop threads
>>
>>51248345
firefox
>>
>>51248384
how do they make it look like that?
>>
want to get a second monitor, but also use it to play xbone. do i go for a gaming monitor or a good tv?
>>
>>51248417
css
>>
>>51248284
sorry I didn't mean my bios actually said that. That's what asrock says under my motherboard for the bios update description
>>
I need to buy a new bike. Which one should I buy?
>>
how can i automatically start a netctl profile at boot?
>>
is there a free ps3 eyetoy driver?

for windows 10 x64

the CL driver used to fucking be free now its $3, and i'm too jewish right now to pay that.

like fucking wow
>>
A 970 can handle games like battlefront and gta v at 4k in stable 60fps in medium settings?
>>
>>51248699
Yes, easily.
My 660 does that
>>
>>51248699
No,remember it only has 3.5GB vram,and 4K need at least 4GB to work right.
>>
is it possible to retrieve a phone number from someone who left a message? in bongland we have 1471 which tells you the number of the last person who rang, but i want to know the number of whoever left this message
>>
File: allMyGold.png (55 KB, 358x270) Image search: [Google]
allMyGold.png
55 KB, 358x270
So /g/, I have a collection of files (dank memes) on my computer. They are currently named in camelCase. I wish to convert them to a different case, with all lower case words separated by either dashes or spaces.

So I'd like first advice on what case to use, and second a shell script to convert them all.

(For bonus difficulty, all the files on on an smb share)
>>
>>51248957
Depending on your distro "rename" may be shit or regexp.
>>
>>51243395
Lxde is what I would go with
>>
>>51248654
No, but it's on kat.cr
>>
Can someone please update me on the current procedure for post-installation Win 10?

When I did it just after launch, I used the /g/ debloat script. Do people use something else nowadays?
>>
I'm currently running arch Linux and was wondering if running tails os in a virtual machine has the same security as dual booting it with arch Linux?
>>
will this build work?
will there be problems?
i'm aiming small form factor over function

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ndh47P
>>
Why does windows use like 50 user folders?
I only have one account on this laptop, and it still puts new programs into user folders that have been deleted years ago
Is there a way to get windows to use 1 user folder only cuz this shit annoying as fuck
>>
Was watching a movie, and the movie started skipping, freezing, and other shit. Checked task manager, this has happened once before. What the fuck is going on?
>>
File: Screenshot_61.png (123 KB, 1296x593) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_61.png
123 KB, 1296x593
>>51249544
forgot pic
>>
>>51249558

Uninstall the Qualcomm ethernet drivers, use the Intel controlled one.
>>
I'm studying physics and we're learning python 3 in the computer classes. I have a medium amount of experience with C++ and programming in general, I use GNU/Linux as my main OS (if that matters), and I consider myself to be good at computers. What book or online resource would you recommend?
>>
File: 1411507872348.gif (176 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1411507872348.gif
176 KB, 250x250
Hi, how do I add Windows 7 to grub? I have Windows on sda and Arch on sdb. Up until now each time I wanted to play a game I just went to my bios and disabled the 2nd harddisk and then booted Windows 7. I thought it would be more efficient to add a menu entry on grub for Windows 7. I have tried this:
menuentry 'Windows 7' {
set root='(hd0,1)'
chainloader +1
}

But it doesn't work. Any ideas?
>>
Using linkeks/gnoo atm and the terminal only shows hollow rectangles instead of jap characters. what do?
>>
Was the "recent" vulnerability of Truecrypt announced? What does it do? Should I be worried with my encrypted medias?
>>
>>51249963
install a japanese font
>>
File: wat.png (14 KB, 702x264) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
14 KB, 702x264
Trying to use Unofficial SweetFX 1.5 for a preset I'm interested in for MGS V. Every time I try to open it, this is what I see. I've narrowed the problem down to the x64 version of dxgi.dll but still can't find a solution, even after looking around for one for an hour straight
>>
i have a xonar dg
can i retask my front panel jacks?
my headphones jack is dead and i wanna use my mic jack for it
hopefully my hardware supports it cause my back panel jack works but my headphones' cable is too short
>>
i've encrypted my macbooks ssd, but supposed someone hacked my computer remotely over the internet, can they still read the data?
>>
I wanted to upgrade my phone to a Moto X 2nd Gen but apparently it doesn't support advanced calling 1.0 or marshmallow? Trying to find a phone with decent camera and charge that won't destroy my bank. I can do a 2 year contract discount with Verizon
>>
>>51250135
Try reinstalling DirectX
>>
File: 1420081224353.gif (301 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
1420081224353.gif
301 KB, 350x464
>>51249860
Oh, silly me... it was on hd2,1
>>
>>51250200
Now for a supremely stupid question: where would I download DX11?
>>
Is putting two SSDs in the same mount advisable? I can easily buy another one. On my particular mount, the SSDs will have a millimeter or so space in between
>>
>>51250316
somehting like here. google around
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=directx
>>
I'm seeking some general beginner coding tips. What is the best way to start coding? Which language should I choose to learn first?
>>
>>51240733

Can anyone provide a link to a good resource or resources for setting up and managing Pulp?
>>
>>51250397
python is easy to learn. java is easy to learn intro to object orientedness. C is the classic, tried and true close to the metal language that some classes start off with
>>
>>51250393
the official Windows page just says that it comes with Windows Update. Only single download I can find from recent years is hosted on softtonic, and I don't trust that shit
>>
What is the recommended BSD, GNU/Linux, and OSX operating systems or whatever for a new comer to unix
>>
>>51249558
You need to open resource monitor for a better reading
>>
>>51250441
linux mint
>>
>>51250479
Thank you, do you have recommendations for BSD and OSX
>>
>>51250479
Don't. Cinnamon a shit and Ubuntu Mate is best Mate.
>>
>>51250513
What if I didnt use cinnamon theres diffrent styles right ?
>>
When I open a 3D program after booting, it either crashes or runs with too low/too high FPS. A restart always fixes this problem ... till the next booting.

Got a 960 GTX and given how I never had the problem before, I guess it's related to Nvidia drivers. Any ideas how to let the shit run right from first booting?
>>
How does rainmeter stick to the desktop?
>>
>>51250429
What about for someone not interested in making a career of it, but for mostly hobbyist purposes?

Any good resources to begin?
>>
>>51250571
Unclickable + undraggable creates a desktop illusion
>>
Please someone answer this for me. How can I call a server-side java application through javascript. I just want to enter form data and then run it through a server-side app.
>>
File: terminal.png (41 KB, 585x366) Image search: [Google]
terminal.png
41 KB, 585x366
Please help. I fucked up the terminal somehow. There are two problems. First, is that most system commands no longer work (e.g. sudo is not recognized). Second, some useless text loads up whenever I open the terminal in it's default state. I don't remember what I could have done to fuck it up, but I want it back the way it was before.

Is there an easy method to reset everything and get the terminal back to it's default state (short of reinstalling the OS)?
>>
>>51250764
lol
>>
File: shww.jpg (256 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
shww.jpg
256 KB, 1600x1200
>Goal
I want to remove the 2nd mounting bracket and bend the bottom copper pipe to touch the top one.

>My idea
Wrap the parts i want untouched with a wet towel. then use a blow dryer with the concentrated muzzle and slowly heat up the bottom pipe and bracket. Approx. 5mins i start using a pair of pliers to slowly add pressure to remove the bracket then bend the copper pipe.
>>
>>51250949
forgot to add. what do you guys think?
>>
>>51250949
You will only cause damage to the pipe
>>
File: python.jpg (162 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
python.jpg
162 KB, 1024x768
Does anybody know a good video tutorial series on learning to program with Python?
I've downloaded five separate video series from YouTube, but all of them are badly thought.
>>
Yeah but the widgets aren't accessible when alt-tabbing either
>>
What's better a Celeron E1200 or a Pentium 4 630?
>>
Best premium anti-virus for windows?
>>
>>51251096
WOooah -premium- ??

WOOOooOOAAahhHH !!
>>
I recently got an external drive and noticed when I deleted something, it would be placed in recycling bin instead of just deleted, like say a USB. I would always empty the bin before removing the external.

Today after I was done with my stuff, I disconnected before emptying the bin. I went to empty the bin, but once I opened it, the bin was empty, and apparently cleaned itself out. I plugged in my external again to see if the files were just put back, but they were not there.

I just want to be sure, they were just deleted then? I don't want them taking up unnecessary space.
>>
>>51251096
Common Sense 2016

Premium version is BEAST
>>
Best screen capping software? Not like OBS.
>>
>>51251188
webmcam and sharex
>>
>>51251188
But obs is the best
>>
Recently when updating firefox, for some reason it shits itself and won't even run after done updating. I have to uninstall and download and re install from scratch so I just stopped updating to save myself 5 minutes every week. Is there some precaution to prevent the fuck up?
>>
I can't do anything with my monitor while my pc is on (turn it off or adjust the settings) however when i shut down the pc or disconnect the monitor i can shut it down but still no settings. What do?
>>
>>51240733
I was on a webm thread on /b/ and someone said enjoy your rootkit

is it possible to get rootkits by watching webms?

I was using chrome
>>
File: 1446659787861.jpg (189 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1446659787861.jpg
189 KB, 2048x1365
Is there a noticeable difference between a GTX 760 and a GTX 970? Should I even bother buying another expensive video card just so the newest games can look/perform slightly better?

I only have one 1080p monitor, and I've noticed just a small amount of slowdown with games like GTAV using the 760 (evga superclocked) and I want to play upcoming games like Fallout 4 without issues

i5-4670 3.4 ghz and 8gb ram btw

desu

senpai
>>
Ever since upgrading to Winders Tin on my two PCs, I've had two problems related to sound. Not enough to be deal breakers, but I'd like help with them

1. On my old laptop, plugging in or unplugging headphones no longer automagically swaps it between speaker and headphone output.

2. On my newish desktop, I can no longer use my HDMI output on my GPU as a sound output. It shows up in Nvidia Control Panel, but not Winders sound devices.

3. Before any
>hurr durr dis wut u get for downgrade 2 Wangblows 0/10
Note that I am only able to run my main monitor at 1080p AND 60fps at the same time since I switched to ten.
>>
>>51251612
I'd advise to not make preparation for upcoming games! Because they tend to be still unstable, buggy, not optimized, rushed. You may be ready for the game, but the game is not ready for You.

Rather than this, just check the titles (which You are interested in) which has already been released and check their performance per GPU.

>any diff
Check tests on variety of games. Synthetic benchmarks is other story here.

>>51251589
>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
>Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

>chrome
>inb4 chrome is rootkit itself
I'd strongly consider to use another browser than this.
>>
>>51251612
760 should run fallout 4 fine actually

970 will smoke fallout 4
>>
>>51251741
>I'd strongly consider to use another browser than this.

Why & suggestions?

I'm not worried about chrome gathering my data, but I would be concerned if some neet was able to control my computer

See the thing about that thread is that every webm this anon posted, there were people on firefox who couldn't view any it said corrupted. other webms worked fine for them.
>>
>>51251096

Bit Defender
>>
File: 1446112827353.jpg (38 KB, 480x331) Image search: [Google]
1446112827353.jpg
38 KB, 480x331
>>51251742

What do you mean by "smoke"? Run maxed out on everything?
>>
>>51251827
yea, the game is made to run on consoles m8.

it's not like witcher
>>
File: 1446513373909.jpg (44 KB, 647x435) Image search: [Google]
1446513373909.jpg
44 KB, 647x435
>>51251841

Yeah but >muh mods
>>
>>51251764
Despite the "muh data gathering" I find firefox has "actual" freedom in configurating it in many aspects. Yes, it might end with editing every variable field, but if anything bothers me, then a bit of lurking and voila You have what You wanted.

And it has loads of plugins which I don't have to worry about.

By worry I mean that there was an issue with Adblock(s) on Chrome, which were moderated and removed at some points. While from Firefox POV there was no problem. Plus forks, forks everywhere.
>>
>>51251764
>I'm not worried about chrome gathering my data, but I would be concerned if some neet was able to control my computer
ok, i'll bite. why do you trust a multibillion dollar company that sells their users data for profit more than some random single person that barely has the infrastructure to abuse the data?
>>
I need a good, ergonomic mouse. Any suggestions guys?
>>
>>51246177
>Laptop under $1000
>running 3d games
Tell your brother to either have his cake OR eat it. Or look for a sale on an MSIshit

>>51246206
SafeStrap because it was my only option on this phone

>>51246932
Fairly similar being both object-oriented
The main thing you'll get tripped up on is that in C languages, not everything is a class, so you can't just call a function defined in your main loop from anywhere in the program by calling main.function(argument).

>>51247201
>Anyone know why?
It was coded by a freetard who's only pretending he knows exactly what he's doing

>>51247567
Well that kinds depends on what browser and OS you're using
>Hey guys my PC is broke pls tell me how to fix it
>Huh? What are "details"?

>>51247672
Proxy is not the same as encryption. Proxy hides who you are, encryption hides what you're doing. Technically one or the other should suffice but always force encryption.

>>51247729
No, once it's installed, it's legal.
My pirated Windows 7 on my desktop actually got me a legal Win10 install for free.
BEFORE my OEM Win7 laptop!

>>51248424
Sell xBone is the only correct response

>>51249424
As long as the VM doesn't have its own backdoor, then yes.

>>51249526
Windows hasn't put programs into user folders since XP. You're roughly 9 years overdue for an upgrade

>>51250153
Yes, from the time you put in the password until it's shut down they can read it. Unless you put the data behind more encryption like TrueCrypt containers

>>51250339
If you want them to literally fry go ahead. If you want them to last longer than 16 hours then don't do it.
>>
>check the Spam folder
>"THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER - Hello, I am FBI agent attach to the World Bank office in Washington DC. I am very much aware of your (...)"
How fucked am I, /g/?
>>
>>51251994
I'm not concerned about my browsing habits. Who is this single person you're talking about?

I'm open to input I won't just do what he says without a little research, i'm curious about what he has to say.

>>51251917
Is this a security issue or just privacy? And what are forks?
>>
>>51252039
>Tell your brother to either have his cake OR eat it. Or look for a sale on an MSIshit
>>51246177
Lenovo y410p - ebay - 669 bucks

750m
i7 4700mq
8gb ram
can sli another 750 with an ultra bay
m.2 ssd
>>
>>51252063
do you have extremely large magnets standing by?
>>
>>51252103
I have a dozen or so on my fridge. Will they do? One of them is a cute Peruvian doll and everything.
>>
>>51252039

I'm >>51249526
I've missed you mr bulk replier
It doesn't put the actual programs there but it puts the appdata
Very frustrating and I'm wondering why it does this, and if there's a way to move the appdata to one folder, or at least have future programs put it all in one folder, or if there's anything I can do
>>
>>51251994
Oh shit, I replied to this wrong. sorry.

Google isn't going to control my computer, neet may and he could do bad things that i'd be responsible for.
>>
>>51252129
oh shit nigger is it a nice oak with a red painted coat?
>>
>>51252070
>And what are forks?
Copy already existing code and start Your own project.
Adblock has a lot of forks. AB Plus, AB Edge and some others which I have not heard about it.

>Is this a security issue or just privacy?
This question is actually so great that it baffled me.

Because by security we mean if a 3rd person reach for Your information.
So, Google with their Chrome is not a 3rd person in that matter.

So this is mostly a privacy issue then.

>>51252012
A cheap one. I am extremely fond of Logitech RX-250. My local shop is selling them with insanely cheap (25 PLN) and they are durable. So far based on 6 (bought for my family and replacements) mouses only one got worn out due to excessive FPS gaming.
>>
Does anyone have any expirience downloading from Niconico? Every video I download with youtube-dl is very low quality, and I don't know if peak hours are still going on or if my source is just bad (I'm downloading VHS ripped anime)
>>
>>51252343
jDownloader got parser for niconico
That is if You don't despise apps or java
>>
>>51252309
Cool man thanks for the replies

so I don't have a rootkit right? I'm gonna scan anyway but the reason I was concerned was because I remembered a while back someone was putting viruses in jpgs

something to do with the way the site opened them or something, can't recall exactly but it was addressed by mods.

It was either a virus or a browser killer, pretty confident it was a virus.
>>
>>51252416
You can always assume You could had some rootkit even before visiting /b/.

If You are such super precautions I'd advice to run some tools beginning from ComboFix, HijackThis, Spybot S&D(is this tool still viable?), Virus Removal Tools by Kaspersky

Plus M$ provides EMET:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544
It may protect from certain attacks.
>>
Any good portable usenet clients? I need it for my vps. It has to be so where I can run it without admin
>>
>speaker comes in and out in car
>very staticy when it does come in
>probably a blown speaker

how do I locate it? I know this probably tops the dumb questions but last time I tried installing my subs I failed miserably.
>>
>>51252493
This is a brand new computer and just freaked out. I'll read up on those tools m8 thanks. I've done a lot of testing and have to say malware bytes kicks ass, what's your opinion?
>>
>>51252648
well it's more like a section of speakers go like my front ones. The sub still plays and so do the rear speakers (they're ghetto house speakers from the deck)

The front speakers draw power from my amp
>>
>>51252674
First of all, Common Sense. If You are not foolish enough to DL <movie>.exe files or open every mail then You are pretty much safe.

The tools itself are handy if You find some fie suspicious.

>malware bytes
As far I know this is scanner not monitor. Haven't used it / tested it.
>>
Okay so I just got a second monitor. I attached it to my mobo instead of my GPU. Will this affect gaming performance at all? If so, would it be GPU wise, or just CPU wise because my computer has to deal with having two monitors?
>>
Can I get a rec on good (reliable/fast) usb 3.0 flash drives? 16+gb capacity.
>>
>>51252736
not worried about downloading dumb stuff, like you said. Just wanna make sure i get the bug if it's there.

there isn't much to search.

thanks for everything m8
>>
>>51240733
Thanks for the thread OP.

In task manager it says 100% and in Resource manager the CPU is at like some 3213123% CPU usage on 100% maximum frequency with only Firefox opened.

I've run Malwarebytes and nothing came up so I think it may be driver issue but I don't know any free programs that can see if all drivers are up and updated.

This is all on Windows 10
>>
>>51253118
Like I can still game but I'm confused as fuck on what to do?
>>
I can'tget past the passport on Baidu. I enter the Chinese runes on the captcha, but they have a single Roman word, and everything I enter into its slot will not work. I don't know what to do.
>>
File: d.png (233 KB, 599x512) Image search: [Google]
d.png
233 KB, 599x512
Why the hell is firefox so bad and I can't see some media in it? I changed two values in about:config after a google search and it still doesn't work
I can watch it without problems on chrome
>>
File: Capture.png (48 KB, 804x592) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
48 KB, 804x592
I've had a 7970 for nearly 5 years now, and it's been an absolute beast with everything I've thrown at it.

Want to play Fallout 4 smoothly, but it looks like even a GTX 960 isn't worth the upgrade.

Is a 7970 adequate or will it only run on low settings? Is a GTX 970 a significant upgrade?
>>
Is there a fix to rhytmbox crashing whenever i click my device
>>
How do I prevent someone from seeing my online activity?
I'm talking about using wifi that doesn't belong to me.
I'm too poor to buy any real service that would prevent this.
Is there a free way?
>>
>>51253400
shit i have this same problem. firefox went to shit after they hired that jew ceo and that tumblr feminist chick that that neckbeard vigilante employee exposed.
>>
Was considering switching to Linux finally and keeping the Botnet 10 to play vidya.

Is Alpine Linux good enough? Anything i should know, besides getting WinE if i want to use .exe programs in there?
>>
>>51253488
>Is Alpine Linux good enough
I have never even heard about it. Just try one of the mainstream distros, nobody cares about e-status anymore
>>
>>51253476
"Is there a free way" not one that doesn't expose you to significant risk. Provided your traffic is encrypted (a lot of traffic is nowadays) nobody on the network can inspect the contents; they can still see where traffic is headed unless you use a VPN.
>>
>>51253540
Well shit, Ubuntu it is, then. Right?
>>
>>51253560
All I'm worried about is them seeing what websites I visit.
I mean, I could use TOR but it doesn't work well with my accounts :<
>>
>>51253587
You need a 3rd-party, like a VPN or a TOR node, to disguise the endpoint of traffic.

All the good VPNs that won't steal your data or do other fishy shit are paid VPNs.

Do you have good reason to suspect people are inspecting your traffic? It's not exactly a common thing for a layperson to do.
>>
File: original.jpg (181 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
181 KB, 640x360
>>51253575
ubuntu, debian, opensuse, hell even arch will do the job
>>
I read once before that running two anti-viruses at the same time is harmful, but then I read that it is actually safer.

Would running MSE alongside Malwarebytes be fine?
>>
My radiator just leaked and it smells sweet, like almonds. What is the possibility, my house is being heated by cyanide?
>>
>>51253621
Yes itll probably be fine, but its a waste of resources and there is a tiny chance they may somehow interfere.
>>
>>51253608
My friends are pretty good with technology, I just started going to ... 'clubs' ? that deal with 'hacking/technology'.
>>
Dug up my old pentium machine. I think the BIOS is fucked, only the logo screen displays. Also no HDD is in it now, but I have a couple lying around. Is there a way to flash a BIOS that I find for it online onto it?
>>
Where can I get windows 8.1? I had to delete my Ubuntu partition because Atom stopped working and I fucking hate sublime.

I'm stuck in the GRUB bootloader and need to override it with the windows installation. Then from command prompt I can go to the windows booter, then reinstall Ubuntu.

tl;dr where can I get windows 8.1 installation for free?
>>
Why isn't there some text analyzer that can convert English to code?
>>
>>51253684
English is insufficiently precise + determining arbitrary intent from natural language is vastly beyond current processing capabilities.
>>
>>51253649
My suggestion to you is to not spend time/make friends with people who you feel won't respect your privacy or security.
>>
>>51253709
What if you made some rules? like it would have to not be random English it would need to be precise
>>
>>51253684
Such a tool would be targeted towards normies. And normies only want to use GUIs not code.
>>
>>51240733
i am new to pc gaming and building my first rig.

what gpu is better for the price ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150697

-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=Radeon_R9_290-_-14-202-043-_-Product
>>
File: UivWWQe.png (6 KB, 1366x39) Image search: [Google]
UivWWQe.png
6 KB, 1366x39
This is Firefox 43 with the MV4 skin and some custom CSS, anyone know how I can remove the extra space below and to the right of the address bar? In other words, how to make the address bar flush with the bottom and right sides.

>>51253741
A sufficiently precise, English-like language that is converted into functioning code is what a programming language with English conventions like Python is.

As you get less and less precise, you get more "natural" English but you also run into problems where the code isn't what you want / can't be as robust as you need.
>>
is getting a CCNA worth it? Do i need access to cisco gear to get the qualification or can i just read the books online and take the exam online? i'm a math major but i want to build up my resume.
>>
So installed Apache and PHP manually and then after deciding that was retarded, I decided to go with XAMPP.

However, while I think I got rid of my manual installation of Apache when I run XAMPP I can't get the Apache server to run.

I literally just want to be able to throw Helloworld.php up there right now to see if it's working, is all. Does anyone know how I can get Apache XAMPP to run?
>>
When I try to move or delete a file, I keep getting the "file is open in another program" message even though I don't have it opened anywhere.
Apparently this is a recurring issue with microsoft
Does anyone have a fix?
>>
>>51253421
960 is a pile of shit.
I have 480GTX that is years older and steamrolls over it.
Don't fall for marketing
>>
File: Pecasso.jpg (34 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
Pecasso.jpg
34 KB, 500x456
>>51252416
>I remembered a while back someone was putting viruses in jpgs

Holy shit, what?
>>
>>51253741
That is what you call a programming language, friend.
>>
>>51253774
*mx4 not mv4.

Also to be clearer, what I mean to say is that there are already extant programming languages which attempt to bridge the gap between something like C and spoken language instructions. There's just only so far you can go before you lose so much precision as to be useless.

The level of complexity that allows humans to extremely quickly and precisely decode language is the product of an immense amount of evolution to create a finely tuned system. Even then, humans rely on a whole host of things exterior to spoken language to decipher meaning (context, visual cues, life experience, asking questions, etc).
>>
>>51243301
http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/
>>
>>51253421
the 960 is not on the same tier as the 7970 and the 380 is a side grade

970 up Nvidia
290+ or 390+ AMD

but 7970 is more then enough.
>>
>>51243301
The low-effort solution is to just learn as you need to do stuff. Whenever something comes up, a bit of quick googling and maybe a visit to whatever StackExchange site will generally sort you and help build your knowledge.
>>
>>51253118
>>51253163
Wait I solved it.
>>
Going on a plane for 8 hours. Will be using Note 5 to watch downloaded videos for most of it. How do I make my battery last as long as possible? I use MxPlayer if that makes a difference .
>>
Is there any way to generate traffic to random websites?
Just to bake it harder for people to see what I'm dong?
>>
>>51248600
should auto connect. check dmesg and journalctl.
>>
>>51253977
How?
>>
Can you guys upload files here http://catgirlsare.sexy/ ? For some reason I can't.
>>
>>51254058
I don't have a Note 5, but try to manually kill/disable all unnecessary apps. Even those running in the background.
>>
File: IMG_20151108_195605.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_195605.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I'm trying to install ubuntu from a live usb on my lenovo ideapad y700, but it says the wifi is disabled by a hardware switch and rfkill list is pic related. What do?
>>
>>51254096
Updated Bios.
>>
>>51250764
check ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc and reset PATH
>>
>>51251096
AVG
>>
how do I the CPU?
>>
>>51254159
Try a Ethernet cable? (even though it says its blocked...)

If that doesn't work, look in your bios if there is an option that relates to that.

If all above fails, google it.
>>
>>51252063
>"Hello, I am FBI agent"
>spam folder
>>
>>51254264
Ethernet would work, but its a horrible solution. Checked the bios. And google provides fuck all.
>>
>>51254178
Thanks.

>>51254222
Aren't they botnet now?
>>
>>51244911
You're not alone. I can avoid the error by waiting a while after booting Windows.

The solution is to reset winsock entries and TCP/IP stack.
>>
>>51247188
Depending on your version Root user may be disabled on the database, otherwise add the rights to an Admin user.
>>
>>51248424
'Gaming Monitor' of 144hz, 1920x1080, 1ms response, 80million contrast. 24". Hooked with DVI-I connection
>£150.00

45 inch plasma TV, 240hz, hooked with HDMI
1920x1080
>£350

Monitor is better for price and quality but you might enjoy the huge screen for an Xbone. Granted it can fit on your desk(?).
>>
>>51250534
10000's.
>>
>>51251096
MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS. FREE. NOT BLOATED. ONLY FOCUSED ON WINDOWS SECURITY AND NOT AN UMBRELLA OF PROTECTION CREATING PRECISION SCOPE FOR EASY SECURITY.

woops caps
>>
>>51253476
use https everywhere, use wireshark and you can see your IP and what others can see if they sniff on the network you're running on.

Use SSH (PuTTY) instead of Telnet if you remote connect to stuff too, telnet is unencrypted and stores everything in cleartext.

Packet headers have information but that's all others will see, think of it like you're posting an item, others can see the address and the senders address but not what the package is.
>>
File: 1445488276833.jpg (133 KB, 595x600) Image search: [Google]
1445488276833.jpg
133 KB, 595x600
Is this what vaporwave looks like?
>>
I have a Python function that takes some time to complete (SQL query), how do I make the script not freeze and wait until the function has finished?
>>
>>51254619
Not enough bodyhair
>>
>>51248424
Many TVs have unbearable latency. Plug in a laptop at the store and wiggle your finger on the touchpad for a minute.
>>
>>51243154
You can do FHD and just adjust the text to be "bigger or smaller" and make it high contrast. Get him one with a 10 key, old people love that, and at least 17inch monitor if not larger. 4 gigs of ram, and nothing newer than windows 7. You get him 8.1 or 10 and he will hate you. As for a processor just about anything will work. As for the SSD whatever you buy just it will have a 2.5 HDD anyway and you can replace the with an SSD at any time.
>>
Should I buy 2 monitors and a 960 or 1 monitor and a 970, gonna be used for muh gaymz and college activities
Upcoming games like battlefront and Fallout
I want to game at ultra/1080p until Pascal comes out
>>
>>51243301
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2

This is a free course I took. It is very good, and you go at your own pace. Also ls and cd.. are your best friends. Know them. love them.
>>
>>51254763
A 960 can't handle 2015 games at max settings, especially with two monitors. Get a 970 with one monitor and be aware that you may have to downgrade your graphics settings to use two or three monitors simultaneously.
>>
>>51254483
You forgot the /s at the end

>>51254058
Airplane mode. Wireless radios kill battery.
>>
are some pcs too old to boot from usb?

tried booting from usb on my 15 year old pc and it only gave the choice to boot from floppy, cd and hard drive.
>>
>>51252131
>I've missed you, Mr bulk replier
I'm probably not who you're thinking of

>>51252648
>>51252695
As the OP says, spend at least ten seconds googling. Not to mention, just about every make/model combination has its own forum website you can search. I own a 2002 GMC envoy (selling soon), and I learned everything I know about wiring subs from trailvoy.com. There's also galantworld.com for my 03 Mitsubishi Galant, where I learned how to access the rear speakers to discon a blown one (also how to turn the key when the wheel lock is locked). Point is, google.com is the best starting place to learn anything about a car, and then from there you can find the specialty forum for it. There's often YouTube vids for every subject as well.

>>51252736
>As far as I know this is scanner, not monitor
Free version is manual scan only, pro version does realtime and heuristic analysis.

>>51252780
In most cases the mobo video outputs won't work if you have a GPU installed, but I'd they do, you never want to mix them. Just go GPU only. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how it affects performance, but it does.

>>51253622
It depends on if you're in a movie/game or real life. Give us the deets.

>>51253670
Ye olde bay o' pirates should work

>>51253801
FileASSASSIN (free, made by the same people as MalwareBytes). Only major downside is that it can't do folders, only individual files.
>>
>>51254797
Just gonna game in one monitor, the other one will be used in multitasking, and as soon Pascal comes out change the gpu
>>
I use uBlock Origin, Self-destructing cookies, Ghostery and NoScript

With NoScript i only block trackers basically

do i really need NoScript? I mean, since Ghostery/Disconnect blocks all trackers and SDS obliterates all cookies

I mean, how much info can a website really get on me without NoScript enabled? Like, only my monitor resolution?

Thanks in advanced
>>
Google Play doesn't use album covers, even though I'm using that album image grabber app.

Anything to remedy that?
>>
>>51254845
yeah I figured out you probably weren't who you were thinking of when I read some of your replies lol

thanks for helping me and everyone else out though
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.