[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keyboard Layouts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
Has the Dvorak keyboard layout every actually been scientifically proven to be more efficient than QWERTY, or any of the other popular layouts? Are you using an alternative layout, /g/? How are you liking it? Discuss.
>>
If you just Google for 2 minutes you will find that it is indeed faster than qwerty. I've been using it for the last 3 years and I'm really happy with it. Typing is more natural, you use both your hands and you don't move a lot to type. I would recommend Dvorak to everyone, since it looks like the perfect layout to me.
>>
>>51239222
checked
I have googled it. Lots of people say that it's more efficient, but I have yet to come across concrete evidence of this. Because everything uses QWERTY, do you really think it's worth the switch? I have a thinkpad with QWERTY layout, and I'm not sure if I would be able to adjust to Dvorak with the wrong letters printed on my keyboard.
>>
>>51239250
i have been typing in dvorak for five years and i similarly prefer the flow. i did not change the keys on my keyboard, but you're not supposed to look when you type learning qwerty either. it took time, but it was a fun challenge.
>>
>>51239292
>>51239222
thanks for input, will go try it out. any tips for learning it?
>>
>>51239250
Imo it is worth it, I changed the keys on day one and learned quickly from there. It took about a month to kill off muscle memory of qwerty and to learn Dvorak. I mean, that's just my experience, I quickly adapted to it and became faster/more efficient on it.
>>
>>51239320
Find an old keyboard, pop off the keys and force yourself to use it. You'll have it in a week tops.

I use both daily. I actually type slower now, but with less mistakes. Plus it's a lot more comfortable. When switching to qwerty it takes a second to adjust but that's it.
>>
>>51239355
One thing I do miss is copy paste, though I mostly just do that with my mouse now.
>>
File: 4L_EcEUlcNr.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_EcEUlcNr.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Thanks, /g/. Just switched around my keycaps to help myself learn; my keyboard unfortunately came with ULTRA GAMING slanted keycaps, so it feels a bit weird. I think I'll get used to it.
>>
one-handed next!
>>
File: Colemak_layout_2.png (18 KB, 692x184) Image search: [Google]
Colemak_layout_2.png
18 KB, 692x184
Another alternative for you anons (which I personally learned) is Colemak which doesn't sacrifice the essential shortcuts but has its own efficiency like Dvorak.

However I do like how Dvorak has one-handed layouts.
>>
Made the jump some about 6 months ago. Best decision in a while, took about month to reach 50wpm, which is quite good for me because on qwerty I never reached over 40. First week can be quite painful to learn out of muscle memory.

For shortcuts, on windows you can edit registries to keep old shortcuts, also I found something called dvorak-qwerty on github, which does the same thing and works on linux too. I myself don't use these because I already learned the new shortcuts.
>>
File: qwerty.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
qwerty.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
>>51239104

Been using Dvorak at work for two years now. I can still type in qwerty full speed on my home laptop, but it feels absurd for the first 10 minutes, like "Why am I doing this to myself?", the inefficiency and potential for long term discomfort is obvious.

Having to switch back to Dvorak at work the next morning is the opposite experience: it feels relaxing, pleasurable, more natural. Like taking off hard ill-fitting dress shoes, and putting on running shoes.

I don't care what the studies and tests say...they could say Dvorak sucks, I wouldn't care. It just feels great to type in.
>>
Colemack seems pretty cool. But I was learning programmers Dvorak: the brackets etc is super nice.
Is there something inbetween?
>>
>>51242289
pretty much sums it up
>>
yes, did you even google it?

source: been using dvorak for about 10 years, never had any problems using querty or other foreign layouts either.

dvorak is the layout designed to be the most efficient, ergonomic, and fastest way to type the english language on a keyboard
>>
>>51242547
for me, i have left the QUERTY layout on my keyboard, but when i paste (which is still Ctrl+ V) it is actually CTRL + >, which really makes a lot of sense, lol
>>
>>51242289
you know you can switch the keyboard layouts in any OS, right?
>>
>>51239370
just rebind them to ctrl+J and ctrl+K. no big deal.
>>
File: fdhdfhfd.png (94 KB, 3754x1254) Image search: [Google]
fdhdfhfd.png
94 KB, 3754x1254
>>51239544

This isn't an effective way of learning. I've been typing dvorak for a few weeks now, and my advice would be to change your layout back to qwerty, and instead have an image of the dvorak layout on your screen. You can for instance download a program called Stickies to have the layout permanently in the foreground, or you could simply open the on-screen keyboard.

Also, if you're going to switch to dvorak, you should definitely learn proper touch typing while you're at it. The first week, and especially the first couple of days, will be really frustrating, but it will be worth it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.