[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motherboards/Mainboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image002.png (2 MB, 1280x679) Image search: [Google]
image002.png
2 MB, 1280x679
How do you normally choose a motherboard for your build before buying it?
Of course you'll have to look for a motherboard that suits your needs. If you either want usb 3.0, what kind of PCI slots and how many you want, etc. But how exactly do you do that? Do you just google for specific boards until you find the right one or do you use a good website for organized smart choosing?
Like for example pcpartpicker for the components. Any tips or advice you could give?
pic related. it's a random image of a mainboard I picked from the internet.
>>
Community support is vital so buy the most popular.
>>
>>51238293
I used to pick a cpu first and then pick the board I want to go with it that can overclock and supports the memory I want.

While the above is still true, accessories are far more important now.

Biggest thing now is deciding if you want CPU LGA 1150 (DDR3 memory) or CPU LGA 1151 (DDR4 memory). After that find a motherboard with M.2 x4 (32gb).

I'm getting the LGA 1150 ASRock Z97 Extreme6/3.1, unless I can find something way cheaper.

I just missed a $100 sale on Amazon for an LGA 1151 MSI board that supprted M.2 x4.
>>
I make a list of all motherboards from reputable manufacturers that meet the requirements that I have, and then sort by price. Then I look through the cheapest ones and compare reviews. If the reviews pan out I Google to see if there are any other issues that the reviews didn't address. If all went well, then I buy that motherboard. It's a similar process to finding a prostitute, really.
>>
Anything with good VRMs and sizeable heatsinks.
>>
>Does it support the CPU I want to use
>Does it have at least 8 SATA ports
>Does it have at least 3 PCI-e ports
>Does it have at least 8 USB ports, doesn't matter if 2.0/3.0/3.1
>>
File: 00.gif (948 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
00.gif
948 KB, 300x225
>Does it have USB 3.3
>Does it have M.2 x8
>Does it support 256gb of DDR5
>Does it have a quantum entanglement internet port
>Does it charge your iPhone 7s from at least 10ft away
>>
I always buy the one most shilled
>>
>>51238293
The most important feature that a mobo could offer to me would be the pci-e placement for sli options. Some manufacturers like MSI have horrible sli configuration that there's no gap between the top card and the bottom card if you want to run it both at 16 lanes each for their x99 boards.
>>
>>51240316
>sli
If you can't afford the most expensive single card, then there is no point in getting two or sli/cross fire.
>>
>>51238293
>pick CPU/several CPUs to compare
>pick motherboard based on socket
>>
>>51240340
Wow, that narrows it down to 60. Congrats on being a faggot!
>>
>pick CPU
>pick high end chipset that's compatible (i. e. 990FX)
>look for something that looks "high quality" (beefy heatsinks, not super flashy, etc.)
>at least crossfire/2 way sli support
>good reviews
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (322 KB, 1559x953) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
322 KB, 1559x953
>>51240325

What makes you think I can't?
>>
>>51238293
Colour, fuction, the amount offered , size, Sata lanes and the ammount of fan nodes there is.

often or not i don't really care about processors its the availability of parts and well some price points( mid range normally).
For example i had to ditch this build
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dubzac/saved/#view=G8MH99

because the motherboard was too hard to find and now the CPU is almost sold out everywhere in my country

Now i'm waiting on Zen and then i will see if i want a skylake or a Zen cpu/apu/iGpu because of m.2 support.

Its all this waiting and Posturing is annoying me.
how do you do it /g/?
>>
>>51240604
Rekt
>>
>>51240409
This. You can narrow it down to about 10 different choices and from there it's usually reviews that decide which one.
>>
>>51238293
Just grab the cheapest one that does what you need it to.
>>
>>51238432
Underrated post
>>
realize that all motherboards get about a 75% review, they either fucking work most of the time and they don't work the other part of the time.

surprise mothafucka, the best motherboards go into prebuilt shit and are american megatrends which iirc is asus components more or less.

dude, you're gettin' a dell!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.