[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meta asf linux builds? I'm starting a linux VM and i want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: KDE_1.0.jpg (501 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
KDE_1.0.jpg
501 KB, 1024x768
Meta asf linux builds?

I'm starting a linux VM and i want it to look as cool as possible. Like that thread with the webm of the guy with the safebooru thing and the simplistic desktop.

Also i wanna start another VM with a retro DE like CDE or KDE 1.
>>
b u m p
>>
as for the first, just go with some window manager, learn it's ins and outs. As for a retro desktop, just go with CDE, it looks amazing.
>>
>>51237378
>VM
babby shit, confirmed underage
>>
File: CDE_Manual_Pages.png (56 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CDE_Manual_Pages.png
56 KB, 1024x768
>>51237378
use CDE
>>
>>
>>51237378
Why use a VM instead of dual booting?

I'm just curious, I have dual booted since I was in uni, win 98 on one partition, win 2000 on the other haha. Now about a hundred distros later I've never installed one in a VM.
>>
>>51239197
Fuck off. VMs are great for experimental environments.
>>
File: 1443676882676.png (596 KB, 612x672) Image search: [Google]
1443676882676.png
596 KB, 612x672
>>51239339
This guys should make a tutorial about how to install windowsmaker on OSX.
>>
>>51241817
installing it's easy

configuring it to take the place of the default environment is another matter.
>>
>not running a headless Linux installation in a VM and ssh-ing into it
>>
>>51241817
actually i have seen screenshots on /g/ by someone who had done that
>>
>>51241817
tried to get window maker working last night in 10.10 via macports
it was somewhat broken and would frequently die for like no reason, couldn't start programs I stuck to the wm dock either

was a bit of a shame, wanted to get my setup that I had back when I had my 10.4 machine, had a nicely set up window maker desktop
10.4 was massively too heavy for the machine (500MHz G3, 192MB RAM) even though it worked and I could do things somewhat slowly
>>
>>51241924
How do I do this?
>>
>>51246817
virtualbox allows for this. you just install normally, then when you boot up there's an option to "start headless". just make sure to not install x11 if you don't plan on using it ever, or if you do, make sure it doesn't start automatically on boot so it's not taking up resources. then just get the IP when it connects to the network or do http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5906441/how-to-ssh-to-a-virtualbox-guest-externally-through-a-host
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.