[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Atom? Better than Sublime Text?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Atom-Text-Editor-By-GitHub.png (7 KB, 488x340) Image search: [Google]
Atom-Text-Editor-By-GitHub.png
7 KB, 488x340
What do you think of Atom? Better than Sublime Text?
>>
>>51235848
This program doesn't even work on my laptop. Shit lags like fuck and I can't even open a new file to edit it. Been using Sublime Text, but damn I need a FOSS alternative.
>>
>Loading an entire browser engine
>To edit text
>>
>>51235867
emacs
>>
>>51235870
True that.

But Electron rocks
>>
Personally I like it, but it is extremely resource hungry. I have a beefy machine and still run out of memory occasionally. That being said - it's pretty gorgeous and very intuitive to use. The user experience is great, and because it's just javascript+css+html it is very easy to change whatever you want.

Hopefully they can improve performance over time.
>>
>>51236574
Whoa nigga. I need a text editor, not a fucking operating system.
>>
I use Sublime.

How well does the JSCS linter work on Atom?
Can it automatically fix most errors?
>>
>>51235848
worse than hitler.
>>
Call me a faggot, but it runs fine on my MacBook Pro.
>>
>>51236742
faggot
>>
>>51236742
faggot
>>
>>51236742
it's not about how it's running, it's about the software design. Would you use a wrench to mount your processor?
Also
>almost 2016
>apple anything
>on /g/
>>
>>51235848
As stupid as it sounds using a browser rendering engine for a text editor... it actually works. Really really fucking well.

Plus the plugins are amazing.
>>
>>51235848
not vim
>>
>>51235848
>let me start my web browser to edit /etc/hosts
Atom is terrible.
>>
Sublime text is replacable by kate/gedit/geany/leafpad

Atom is more suitable for developing small scripts. Vim/Emac autists pls go. Even nano is more usable.

For java use Netbeans/IntelliJ/Eclipse
For C use Qt creator
For C# use Monodevelop
>>
>>51237133
Emacs*
>>
>>51237021
fork it into the background as a daemon then.

problem solved.
>>
>>51237133
I've taken a liking to vs code, I try to use it where I can. It looks nice senpai. I can even get it to work with my projects and frameworks easily.
>>
>>51237021
You really shouldn't be using a beefy text editor like atom to do this. Just use vim. I would consider atom to be best at working with software projects. If you're just editing some configuration files it is probably overkill.
>>
>>51237179
So basically you would be making the v8 into a daemon to host some web content?
>>
>>51237179
>let me run a browser as a daemon in case I want to edit /etc/hosts
That is even more fucking retarded. Why the fuck should a text editor need a fucking daemon process?
>>
File: ThanksMS.jpg (24 KB, 771x177) Image search: [Google]
ThanksMS.jpg
24 KB, 771x177
>>51237249
Still under massive development, plus I do not trust MS anymore
>>
I like it, it runs fine on my laptop and the plugin manager is great with all sorts of plugins just a query away.

>>51237021
You're a retard. If you think you need to fire up a (almost) full blown IDE to edit /etc/hosts.
>>
>>51237249
That is fair enough. I would still consider a web browser to edit code meh when I can accomplish the same with vim, but if all you are using atom for is large projects like that it is not entirely unreasonable.
>>
>>51237282
I mean >>51237233 fuck this gay touch sensor
>>
>>51237288
>https://atom.io/
>a hackable text editor.
If wouldn't criticize atom as a text editor if it didn't claim it was a text editor, but it does. Some people (I have seen them) actually boot up atom for every text document they need to edit, including something as simple as /etc/hosts.
>>
>>51237323
see >>51237249
>Some people use it for everything
Thats their problem.

Believe it or not you can use multiple text editors. its not like you're just stuck with one that you have to use for everything.
>>
sublime is bad enough, but atom is worse and enables botnet by default.

vim is good enough for me.
>>
>>51237354
I don't really have a need to, when vim/emacs will handle pretty much any situation.

Anyways, if you are only using it as an IDE, see >>51237293
>>
>>51237383
I wonder who would steal your l337 codes
>>
>>51237354
This. I use vim, geany and ST3 as text editors. Phpstorm and netbeans as IDEs.
>>
>>51237354
Every text editor likes to think they're a special snowflake and uses their own brand of fucked up keyboard commands. Using different text editors for different purposes requires wasting time relearning stupid shit
>>
>>51237419
>
idk & idc but I don't want my text editor to open up a socket whenever I start it up. Fucking wasteful.
>>
The idea of a fully open source editor with highly extensible features and a robust plugin ecosystem is amazing.

Unfortunately basing your editor on web technologies is a horrible idea and Atom has unreasonably poor performance.

Sublime on the other hand performs extremely well, but is a closed source black box that can only be slightly extended with the official plugin APIs. In Atom I can embed a terminal in my editor, in Sublime I can only set up a macro to launch a terminal outside the editor.
>>
File: vid_1445973536.webm (666 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
vid_1445973536.webm
666 KB, 1919x1079
>>
>>51236742
faggot
>>
>>51237133
>using an IDE ever
>>
>>51237840
autist much?
>>
>>51237840
found the NEET
>>
>>51236599
totally agree. electron is sweet
>>
geany
>>
>>51236633
vi
>>
Liked it, but was having issues opening larger files. Now trying to learn vim for consistency across laptop and desktop.
>>
File: dinosaurWithNoEyes.jpg (167 KB, 650x520) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurWithNoEyes.jpg
167 KB, 650x520
>>51236633
No, no, he's on to something; if you install MinGW you can probably run thousands of GNU-based text editors on Windows.
(I assume you're on windows; why else would you be at a loss for a good text editor?)

Notepad++ is another option.

As is gedit. (yes it is availabe on Windows. So I hear. http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/gedit/ )

Notepad itself would be pretty based if it just had regexes and correct line-terminators.

(ed master race, as always)
>>51235848
Yes, because it is libre and also all text editors of that class are basically the same anyway.

>>51236742
Faggot
>>
>>51236742
Faggot
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.