[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buil;d
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: metis furyx build.png (75 KB, 1134x592) Image search: [Google]
metis furyx build.png
75 KB, 1134x592
>>
Trying to build my dream PC, please help. Am I doing anything stupid?

I accidentally posted the thread while typing.
>>
yes, you're retarded

if you insist on buying m.2, go with a skylake i5. drop the fury and buy a 980ti or sli 290xs if you can find them for cheap. the hdd isn't 7200rpm and your psu isn't corsair evga or thermaltlake or whatever they're called
>>
>>51235865
S E A S O N I C
E
A
S
O
N
I
C
>>
>>51235865
>if you insist on buying m.2, go with a skylake i5
Wait, why? Are there issues with m.2 and skylake i7 I don't know about?

>drop the fury and buy a 980ti or sli 290xs
The point is that it's a very small ITX build

>HDD isn't 7200
It doesn't seem as though it will make much of a practical difference, the real point of that huge HDD is its enormous reliability

>your psu isn't corsair evga or thermaltlake or whatever they're called
I think you're kind of a retard desu
>>
>cpu
its i5 or i7-5820K
seems you are rich so i7-5820K
consider - its true 6 cores, 12 threads, no crappy thermal paste but soldered die to heatspreader, its ddr4 like skylake...
and this is coming from 6600k owner... I had no budget to go for glorious 12 threads
>>
>>51236023
What's so bad about the 6700k anyway?

Wouldn't the 5820k run much hotter? I went with a skylake i7 because I was under the impression skylake had a big thermal advantage, or at least a mild one, which I really wanted for this cramped build.
>>
>>51236112
>What's so bad about the 6700k anyway?
read a fucking reviews maybe?
no improvement over previous gen, actually in gmaes it was slower on release

>Wouldn't the 5820k run much hotter?
nope, not much but go read reviews faggot
seems like you are actually trying to invent some issue
where did you hear it, read it, did you already ordered? ;)
>>
File: thermperf.gif (33 KB, 400x445) Image search: [Google]
thermperf.gif
33 KB, 400x445
>>51236112
>hotter
2011 socket is huge, chips are large and are soldered instead of use of thermal paste
they are enthusiast chips, they are actually cooler
if you want temps comparable you need to actually open your cpu and change the stock thermal paste, which is extremely risky but can lower temps 10°C
>>
>>51235779
If you don't plan on overclocking knock the CPU down to a 6700 at the very least otherwise get an i5 if your not doing any intensive work except gaming.

do you really need 32GB of ram? Are you gonna be running VM's off this thing? If not? knock it back to 16GB as that is plenty these days.

depending on what you plan on installing on your SSD, 256GB is a better option t b h. The more content on your SSD, the slower it gets.

Pick up a 7200RPM drive as the difference literally is night and day, i have a 5400rpm western digital gree in my machine atm and its slow as fuck compared to my 7200rpm drives.

With the money saved get a 980ti. Now i know you said its for a small build but any ITX case can fit in a 980ti and quite honestly if your not building in the ncase m1 your build is not "small" and even that can fit a 980 ti.AMD are always given the short end of the stick when it comes to games and as an AMD user (dual 290x's) i'm fucking sick of it. Go NVIDIA and you will not regret it, you will get good drivers day 1, shit like gameworks will work well on your cards plus G-sync if you ever decide to go that path.

500W PSU seems good enough, maybe bump it to a 600W just to play it safe.

As for the monitor, well since it uses freesync you'd probs want one with g-sync as its better. If you got any savings put that towards an ROG swift monitor.

What i've just suggested to you is a very good and balanced gaming machine which is small and WILL last you quite awhile
>>
>>
>>51236524
I'm willing to pay for the extra ghz of the 6700k non-OC'd, and I may OC in the future more to the point

I should get a faster HDD, I see that now.

The metis is significantly smaller than the ncase meme1, and can't fit a 980ti. Plus, I recently got mega fucked by the 970, and for a million reasons I don't want to buy an nvidia card right now, especially because the fury X comes with a silent pump now

>Go NVIDIA and you will not regret it, you will get good drivers day 1, shit like gameworks will work well on your cards plus G-sync if you ever decide to go that path
>As for the monitor, well since it uses freesync you'd probs want one with g-sync as its better. If you got any savings put that towards an ROG swift

When you started typing you didn't seem like this much of a retard, what happened?
Your post just got shittier and more factually incorrect as it went along.
>>
>>51236660
well i've been buttfucked by the R9 290x so thats my hatred towards AMD so your hatred towards NVIDIA is retarded to me as well.

>bought the 970

well theres your fucking problem for buying a defective card out of the box. But seriously a lot of games which use nvidia's gameworks engine get fucked out the ass on AMD cards. It happens time and time again and you will see if you buy an AMD card. Gsync is factually superior to freesync.

Not even trying to shill here, just stating the facts but hey go with what ever you are comfortable with. We all get burned by the GPU manufacturers one way or another. I've been on AMD for 4 years now and its time for a change so i can see why you might wanna change from nvidia.
>>
>>51236775
> Gsync is factually superior to freesync.
You pulled that right out of your fucking ass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzHxhjcE0eQ
>>
File: current PC.png (39 KB, 693x575) Image search: [Google]
current PC.png
39 KB, 693x575
>>51236775
You're an idiot. Getting a lemon happens, get over it, it's not the same as getting a card bad by design; fundamentally flawed and deceptive by nature, where the flaws and scandals keep coming. That's the 970.

Wow look, my cool running 290x has been going with no issues for ages, just like most good 290x models

970s are just defective and fucked up on multiple fronts

The rest of everything you said was just really uneducated, slanted garbage not worth responding to, and the worst thing is you're probably not even shilling, you just have one experience and write yourself a personal degree
>>
>>51236879
>using a non stock 290x

yeah no wonder why you don't have any problems. I'm using 2 stock 290x's and they run hot as fuck and loud as fuck. My room heats by 10 degrees because of them which is unacceptable and should never of passed QA

Crossfire is abysmal, constant microstutter

Drivers are always late and often make things worse

occassionally will crash because they get so fucking hot

games that require nvidia gameworks are fucked on AMD cards and will barely run.

Those are my experiences with AMD and i'm sure there are many other AMD users who will agree with me on this. Their cards are a joke and if you are using a reference model they barely function. Since you are using a non reference you probably have less than half of my problems.
>>
>>51236979

mystery solved

Yeah, 200 series stock coolers weren't very good, although you are still exaggerating

Your fanboy-ism is not justified though, I'm sorry, and you should have researched the heat/noise properties of the model you were buying before buying it. You probably just went with reference because it's cheapest and didn't have a setup with proper cooling/airflow to handle something hotter, and now you're mad as fuck because you made an uneducated purchase
>>
File: Capture.jpg (82 KB, 1160x725) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
82 KB, 1160x725
Can someone rec me a better mobo? Preferably one with usb 3.0 headers.
>>
>>51237082
Yeah i did make an uneducated buy on them and i'm fully responsible for it. Didnt check the temps and noise before i bought as the initial benches were good as they were. I don't think i'm exaggerating at all. These cards have been abysmal and have left a sour taste in my mouth after how beast the 6950 (unlocked to a 6970) was. My case was an NZXT phantom original with more than adequate cooling. The cards just sucked ass and there was nothing really else to say.

NEVER get reference AMD cards IMO, always wait for an aftermarket version.
>>
>>51236023
0/10 you are not trolling me today motherfucker
>>
Advice needed

- CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4-Core (8 threads) 4.0Ghz (turbo: 4.2Ghz)
- Motherboard: Asus Z170-K (Z170,S1151,ATX,DDR3,Intel)
- GPU: ATI Radeon R9 390X met 8GB GDDR5 (is this one better than the GTX 980?
- RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) PC4-17066 2133Mhz DDR4 CL15
- HDD: WD Black 1TB 64MB 7200
- SSD: Samsung EVO 500GB SATAIII
- DVD: LiteOn SATA black iHAS124 24x / DL 8x / RAM DVD
- Sound: Some faggoty soundcard
- Gigabit lan
- Power: Coolermaster B700 700 Watt 12cm fan voeding met 85+ efficiency
- Case: Black Sharkoon VG4 ATX gamer case with ''extra silent'' fan '
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XpqcXL
>>
>>51237413

Anyone?
>>
>>51237413
All is awful price to performance and you dont need a soundcard
>>
>>51239847

So what to change?
>>
I'm wanting to upgrade from a gtx 560 ti to a newer gpu in the range of like $200-$250 mainly to play fallout, what do you lads recommend ( I'm also in the UK if that matters at all )
>>
boomp
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.