[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1
File: Arch-linux-logo.png (41 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Arch-linux-logo.png
41 KB, 1200x1200
I have been thinking about installing Arch recently. Is it even good? If so, what distro should I get, or should I just install vanilla Arch?
>>
you should just install gentoo desu senpai
>>
>>51230230
install arch with openbox senpai
>>
I might come off like a shill but I'm not paid nor do I even USE Arch but it's pretty much the perfect distribution for an average /g/uy.

All the hipster bullshit obscure software you want to use is flatout easiest to install on Arch and even if you bloat the fuck out of it, /g/ won't insult you for it because you obviously just WANT the bloat.

As for which ``distribution'' of it to install, don't go for Antergos. It installs an extra repo with convenience/quality of life packages in it and installs files in such a way that programs like screenfetch can detect that it's Antergos and display it as such.

If you're looking for an easy install that won't lose you any credibility on 4chan, you should use the evolution installer.

Hope this helps and I should be on here for a little while so if you have more questions I'll try to answer (I'm basically and expert)
>>
>>51230230
>>>/g/flt
answer: depends on your needs, but imo, arch is shit.
>>
>>51230230
>falling for the Arch meme
>>
>>51230230
Have fun repairing all your packages when your pacman update breaks them.
> muh bleeding edge
>>
>>51230374
very rare, and when it does you can bet there'll be a post on the mailing list warning you ahead of time
>>
>>51230403
The user documentation is also in general really good, so it's quite straightforward fixing things when they do mess up.
>>
>>51230374
>pacman broke my pc
This is a bigger meme than Arch itself.
>>
Been using arch for about a year, after many years with Ubuntu and Fedora. Setup isn't as easy, and in general it doesn't do anything for you that you don't explicitly ask for, but I dig it; like the package management, and just learning new ways of working with Linux.

If you want to fuck around more with Linux, it's a good distro, if you just want to use apps, I think Ubuntu / Fedora is the easier way to go.
>>
>>51230230
just stole a mid 09 macbook pro 17 in and completed installing win8.1, gentoo, & fbsd 10.2 on it. That leavs the laptop with win, mac, lin & bsd (native). I use openbsd on my daily driver. android on the phones.

arch? lol
>>
>>51230285
not OP but i have few questions, is there any difference between architect installer and evolution installer? if so what should i use? also, is there any programs that i need or should install? besides stuff like a web browser, text editor, media stuff and etc?
>>
>>51230472
architect is the updated evolution installer.
>>
>>51230374
I wish this meme from 2008 (when this actually happened) still applied.

1/10, made me reply
>>
>>51230480
so i should use that one?
>>
>>51230470
Not everybody is an autistic nigga
>>
>>51230472
>is there any difference between architect installer and evolution installer?
Never heard of the former, but I assume there's a difference or there'd be no reason for both to exist. Might be worth a Googlin from you to see which you'd like to use! If that wasn't your first thought Arch may not be for you.

>>51230472
>is there any programs that i need or should install?
I'll only give an Arch-specific suggestion: get a frontend for the AUR. I personally use(d) yaourt but I get flak for it like
>not using powerpill
or
>not using my favorite frontend
>>
>>51230511
This. Yaourt is based.
>>
>>51230511
I've been an arch user for a long while now and just recently found out about powerpill. I just haven't been home long enough to mess around with it more recently. Have you noticed it making a difference?
>>
>>51230511
>>51230480
googling it yielded no results worth a dam, and i understand that architect is the updated version of evolution, but am unsure weather or not the later is still under development and if there is any benefit to using one over the other.
>>
>>51230560
I never used it becasuse yaaourt does everything I expect/need
>>
>>51230598
If it was me I'd go with the new one.
That's the Arch way.
>>
>>51230641
you have me there, architect it is.
>>
>>51230230
I got a kernel panic after pacman -Syu
>>
>>51230230
Don't fall for the Linux meme
>>
It's not worth it.
>>
>>51230230
Only if u know how to use it
>>
>>51230652

It's not that great and the community is the most awful around. It's even worse than the Debian community in its heyday, I don't know why Arch ever became popular.
>>
>>51231946
> bleeding edge
> wiki
> aur
> rolling release
> best mantained repos ever
> pacman
>>
It's a meme. Arch makes shit way more complicated than it needs to be.

Install it only if you want your OS to be a hobby. If you need your OS to be reliable then install something else.
>>
TFW almost got my arch install done

>reboot
>missing linuz-linux

Can I fix this from the install media or should I start over

I'm just using systemd bootloader, dualbooting with wondows
>>
>>51232602

>Bleeding edge
Gotta have the latest bugs. Better than being stuck with the old ones forever.
>wiki
Is alright I guess. Last time I was there a lot of pages were outdated.
>aur
Pretty nice
>rolling release
See my response to bleeding edge
>best maintained repos ever
I don't know much about Arch repos so I can't comment
>pacman
Seemed nice last time I used it, though it took them fucking forever to implement something as basic as package signing.
>>
>>51230230
Personally, I don't like the Arch philosophy, but their documentation is an excellent resource for all distros.

I use Debian testing almost exclusively now. If I really, really need a cutting-edge version of a package, I will compile it myself.
>>
>>51232660
Just another useless tripfag opinion.
>>
>>51232660

>Arch makes shit way more complicated than it needs to be.

I still can't believe they got rid of the ncurses installer. Of course their fans praised them for it, they praise whatever they do. I remember when people preached the greatness of rc.conf, and then when the devs neutered it, the more zealous Arch users started saying that rc.conf always kinda sucked anyway.
>>
It depends on what you like. Arch isn't stable, and there are other minimal operating systems that you can use.

Try it, and if you don't like it, try Debian.
>>
>>51230230
Install Manjaro and shitpost faster.
>>
Dicks
>>
Been using arch for about 4 months, I love it. Pacman is great, things very rarely break and when they do its generally very easy to fix. The biggest plus of arch is the AUR and the amazing wiki. It tells you how to do basically everything. I found once i got it all configured the way I like it, I basically have no problems, and it's really easy to use. Install vanilla arch, it's not hard, and you never need to reinstall so you might as well put a little time in. I installed evo/lution on my laptop when I fell for the arch is hard to install meme, and i got a really weird problem, after an amount of use, varying between 10 minutes and 2 hours, my hard drive would get mounted as read only. Couldn't open programs or reboot, had to hard reset and that fixed it. I though I had bad sectors, so I badblocked and smart long tested it and got nothing. Ran memtes64+ for 4 hours, nothing, checked journalctl, couldn't work it out, though I had something weird wrong with my hardware, ended up reinstalling vanilla arch cause cinnamon was pissing me off and the way evo/lution installed it differently to normal made it hard to copy new things i did to my main pc exactly. Anyway, after installing normal arch, i've ran for 2 months with none of that shit happening.

tl:dr - arch is great, use vanilla
>>
>>51232666
systemd bootloader, the fuck? why the fuck would systemd make a bootloader?
>>
>>51233211
*thought
should have put some paragraphs in that sorry
>>
If you install arch use vanilla arch. I think it's a pretty solid distro.
>>
>>51233251
Systemd's bootloader is based on gummiboot.
>>
>>51233251
>>51233334

Well what is the best/easiest to configure bootloader for dualbooting arch and windows on a uefi system?
>>
It's fucking stupid, there is literally no reason to install it, use all that time to learn something not autistic like computer science or other natural sciences or history or whatever the fuck you are interested in. The whole point of a distro is to make linux easy to install.
>>
>>51233976
Sorry, I don't know anything about uefi, does grub2 not work?
>>
Does Arch actually overcomplicate stupid shit? When I tried to install games on Mint it just werked, I had to troubleshoot League of Legends all day yesterday and realized only after I got it working that I had become the meme.

Am I just stupid or did by installing arch did I doom myself to an eternity of suffering?

On the other hand, I feel like my machine is running faster, and aside from PlayonLinux draining resources and causing shitty framerates, Linux Native games run better than they ever did on Mint.

Is there another distro that's minimal but doesn't massively fucking overcomplicate basic tasks?
>>
>>51235035

>Does Arch actually overcomplicate stupid shit?

no

>I had to troubleshoot League of Legends all day yesterday and realized only after I got it working that I had become the meme.

just play dota 2 instead, it's a better game and has a native linux client

>Am I just stupid or did by installing arch did I doom myself to an eternity of suffering?

no

>Is there another distro that's minimal but doesn't massively fucking overcomplicate basic tasks?

there is no such thing as a minimal distro, and arch is pretty much the easiest to use bleeding edge distro
>>
>>51235546
> bleeding edge
*triggered*
>>
From someone who never used Linux, how hard it is to make a usable Arch Linux install? One that would allow me to browse the Internet, listen to music and watch animemes.

I'm going to start vacation at next week and I thought I could try it just for fun.
>>
>>51235762

you should really use a babby os like ubuntu if you're that new
>>
>>51235833
I would use Ubuntu/Mint if I just wanted to start using Linux.

I don't want to install Arch to actually use it, I just want to see if I can get it to work in my free time, just for fun.
>>
>>51230261
This.

Its what I got going now. Love it.
>>
>>51230470
>I use openbsd on my daily driver
found the l337
>>
>>51236231
So just find a youtube video or text guide and follow along with it on your system. Despite the memeing Arch is simple to install (and incredibly simple to use), just a little obscure.
>>
>>51236231

>I don't want to install Arch to actually use it, I just want to see if I can get it to work in my free time, just for fun.

That's exactly what it's for. Go for it.
>>
I'd like to try Parabola, but the install is kinda tedious.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.