[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more people use Opensuse/Fedora? Why are RPM-based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1446908534679.jpg (302 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
1446908534679.jpg
302 KB, 1800x1800
Why don't more people use Opensuse/Fedora?

Why are RPM-based distributions so unpopular amongst /g/eniuses?
>>
File: 1443739109938.png (412 KB, 626x927) Image search: [Google]
1443739109938.png
412 KB, 626x927
Manchildren.
Fedora and OpenSuse are actual working distros.
>>
>>51228718
>Fedora

literal meme distro

*tips*
>>
>>51228747
>>>/reddit/
And stay gone this time
>>
rpm bashing and dependency hell is just a way for deb-based distros to bash other distros despite fedora/derivatives handling dependencies fine/better than ubuntu and despite rpm not having any real issues for years

that said, opensuse has had some issues in the past such as requiring root for trivial things that were only really fixed when linus torvalds chewed them out on it

"power users" won't switch to fedora because they see it as 'muh neckbeard' os despite the only people who have an issue with fedora's name being fedora wearing neckbeards themselves

there's also FUD being spread that fedora is red hat's testing ground - it's no more a testing ground than literally any other bleeding-edge distro
>>
>>51228718
I don't want to beta test for redhat and suse. I would rather use something retarded like gentoo and arch.
>>
File: 1439292460401.webm (2 MB, 850x552) Image search: [Google]
1439292460401.webm
2 MB, 850x552
>>51228718
I like arch-based distros, documentation's better, software availability is better, customizability is better.

I guess deb-based distros get a bump from all the mintfags and noobuntufags, but I don't see them as much better than RPM distros.

Debianfags are definitely the most obnoxious group of linux users, though. Which is quite an achievement.
>>
Fedora's shit.
>>
>>51228951
Thank you for your eye opening contribution to this discussion.

I use Fedora on one of my laptops. It's a nice distro with which I've had little problem. Though, I may only like it cause muh Gnome 3.
>>
Because Fedora is essentially a shitty version of Arch Linux. Source: ex-fedora user.
>>
File: 1445972852584.jpg (17 KB, 385x387) Image search: [Google]
1445972852584.jpg
17 KB, 385x387
>tfw you fell for the Kubuntu meme
I sure wish I was using OpenSUSE right now. Have to install a PPA for every fucking package now because everything is outdated as shit.
>>
>>51228718
>supporting red hat
>>
>>51228718
>Why are RPM-based distributions so unpopular amongst /g/eniuses?
They aren't, plenty of people on /g/ use Fedora/OpenSUSE. Some even use Mageia. A better question is why so many people on /g/ want to paint everything that isn't Ubuntu or Linux Mint as undeserved underdogs that true scotsmen use for incredibly important professional work.

>>51228945
>Debianfags are definitely the most obnoxious group of linux users
Glad to see you're willing to fight for that title anyway.
>>
>>51228718
Fedora
RedHat
NSA
>>
>>51230963
Are you on 15.10? I just switched and have no such complaints anymore, but of course we're almost certainly not using the same software day to day.

My main problem with rpm distros is simply the lack of convenience. The repos are smaller and I have to take steps (openSUSE OBS, RPMFusion) to find everything I want. In deb distros, literally everything I've ever needed is in the repos. That's why I love Debian testing (though I'm not using it at the moment); everything I need is in the repos and pretty damn up to date.

I won't argue that I can't find what I want in rpm distros, because I can, and OBS & RPMFusion are great, I just wish zypper had an interface to OBS and RPMFusion was added to dnf's repo list by default, at least. The problem for me is just that I feel like rpm distros make me take unnecessary steps to get the software I need. I don't even like apt, for what it's worth. It's the only package manager that has ever given me shit.

Whether or not the problem is with the distros or me is up for debate, I guess. Maybe I'm just lazy.
>>
>>51228718
Good try, NSA
>>
They don't innovate much any more so no one really cares or pays them any attention

I would like if they came up with a really nice really slimmed down server distro, that would get my attention, but they won't.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.