[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Concrete Mathematics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png (4 MB, 1218x1534) Image search: [Google]
Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png
4 MB, 1218x1534
Please rate, comment, and subscribe. Don't forget to leave a like.

Also, suggest other seminal textbooks.
>>
>implying anyone on /g/ understands that shit
>>
>>51229071
>implying I'm not a 3rd year pure mathematics student
Stop projecting, Mehmet.
>>
>>51229099
>pure math
enjoy working at mcdonalds

shoulda done stats instead

get that 300k per annum quant money
>>
File: 71cWa92TMyL.jpg (194 KB, 931x1398) Image search: [Google]
71cWa92TMyL.jpg
194 KB, 931x1398
>>
Outstanding book. Not really intended for the mathematically immature. The comments printed in the margins crack me up.
>>
>>51229099
enjoy your pure unemployment.
>>
>>51229174
SICP is pretty based
>>
Looks like a book that autistic /g/ intellectuals would read to feel superior because they study mathematics.

Doesn't change the fact that comp sci is still a kek degree where the majority of the shit you learn will leave your brain after college
>>
haha its a math symbol embedded in the concrete! thats why its called concrete mathematics! haha get it?
>>
>>51230061
It took me several months to realize that actually
>>
haha its the number "11" written in paint primer! thats why its called c++ 11 primer hahahah!!!
>>
>>51230106
>reading a book on a programming language
why not something useful like >>51228520 instead
>>
>>51230037
Nah, dude. If you work your way through this book, you will feel superior because you actually are. This is some truly useful shit that will stick with you forever. Don Knuth is the fucking godfather of analysis of algorithms.
>>
>>51228520
>buy book about concrete mathematics
>not even about concrete

Come on. I bet you guys don't even know how to design an indeterminate frame with alternative loading via influence line methods.
>>
File: clrs.jpg (33 KB, 444x500) Image search: [Google]
clrs.jpg
33 KB, 444x500
>>51228520
Depends how I'm rating it. I enjoyed the book at LOT more than I expected. Do I often use it in life (e.g. employment)? Like most CS folk who end up in Software "Engineering", actual, hard algorithmic work is a tiny percentage of my day-to-day.

There are a lot of revelatory moments when you see parts of discrete math link up with one another. For anyone who enjoyed playing with the algorithms in a book like CLRS, I would recommend it as "probably fun, probably beneficial". If your day-to-day will be analytical and very algorithmic, then increase that recommendation to "should find time to read".

Side benefit: a lot of programmers come to the field from a non-CS background. That's fine and I count many of them among the best developers I know. But by and by you might be working with someone whose math comes from a background in the more physical sciences/engineering, and whose discrete math isn't as strong. It's useful to be the guy in the room who can raise their hand and say say "Hey, uh, that's not how you work with factorials."
>>
>>51231551
Damn, it's like you guys are posting pictures of my bookshelf today.
>>
I liked this book as an undergrad
>>
File: quran.gif (23 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
quran.gif
23 KB, 256x256
this is the only book you ever need.
>>
>>51232146
Bible is better desu. It has unicorns and a guy who sleeps inside a giant fish.
>>
>>51232146
You know that you can get your head chopped off just for taking a photograph of that book, right?
>>
File: KandR-CProgrammingLang.jpg (125 KB, 300x377) Image search: [Google]
KandR-CProgrammingLang.jpg
125 KB, 300x377
>>51231716
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.