[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is it, /g/. I've been dealing with sound stutter, non-linear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: pulseaudio.png (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pulseaudio.png
17 KB, 400x400
This is it, /g/.
I've been dealing with sound stutter, non-linear volume adjustment, unresponsiveness and whatever other trash Lennart puked in his pile of shit since as long as pulseaudio forced its way inside fedora.
It's gone now, ALSA makes my sound perfect and pristine again.

Why does every project Lennart Poettering work on end up being tied deep inside major distros and DEs, to the point that it's harder than a simple package manager command to get rid of it?
>>
>>51227594
>non-linear volume adjustment
What? Of course volume adjustment should be non-linear because human sound perception is non-linear with relative to power. What do you mean by this?
>>
nice blog, you forgot to mention >muh latency
>>
>>51227614
It's a matter of choice I guess, I prefer linear scaling. With pulse's logarithmic scaling, I could jump from a high volume to a really high one if I wasn't being careful, which would destroy my ears.
>>
>end up being tied deep inside major distros
Lately on Debian testing xfce4 hard depends on xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin, God knows why.
At least plugin only recommends pulseaudio and does not have it as hard dependency.
>>
pulseaudio doesn't bother me much

i like being able to RTP stream my audio to multiple devices around my house. i like being able to apply arbitrary filter graphs to audio streams.
>>
>>51227594
birthdays feels like shit
>>
>>51227594
>non-linear volume adjustment
>not using hardware volume controls
>>
>>51227746
But PA absolutely sucks at that.
Use JACK
>>
>>51228331
>But PA absolutely sucks at that.

how so?
>>
>>51228366
high latency, unreliable, pain to configure, pain to integrate in systems that don't have pa as default, ..
>>
>>51228386
i've had no problems with latency, configuration was literally a single click in paprefs, i have no need to integrate with other systems
>>
File: 1417979987100.jpg (36 KB, 497x480) Image search: [Google]
1417979987100.jpg
36 KB, 497x480
>>
I can't stream line in audio without lag through pulseaudio to add equalizing, with alsa i can.
>>
>>51227696
Human perception of logaritmic sound is linear you faggot
>>
>>51228646
>implying programmers are perfect
>>
>>51227696

Your preference is wrong. Learn to stop being retarded and go whine about non-issues elsewhere.
>>
Are you using dmix, or something else for mixing, OP?
>>
>>51227594
>use unprofessional, "free as in worthless," hobbyist OS
>expect anything to work
>>
>>51228646
Linear volume is a safety feature. You adjust according to how it sounds anyway, so it doesn't really matter what function you use, except in the case of accidentally nudging it, in which case linear is superior.
>>
>>51227696
You are retarded. Linear scaling causes jumps like that. Logarithmic scaling was introduced to fix it. All decent audio software uses logarithmic scaling.
>>
>>51230245
But ALSA works perfectly.
>>
>>51230254
Linear volume is not a fucking safety feature you twat. All it does is make a situation where half of your scale is useless because all values below at least 50% end up quiet as fuck. So people only end up using values above 50%, which halves the gradient you can work with, and causes there to be more dramatic changes in dB because of it compared to a logarithmic scale that spreads the whole thing over a larger gradient.
>>
>>51230367
Yeah, I don't get the no sound meme.
Sound hasn't been a problem for me since 2.6
>>
>>51227594
I feel you OP, pulseaudio was a fucking nightmare.
Even when i finally got it to actually work, it breaks the next fucking day.
I've been on ALSA for quite a while now, no problems whatsoever and better sound quality than i had on pulse.
Lennart needs to kill himself.
>>
>>51230380
>>51230313
>>51229874
>>51228646
I obviously didn't mean linear power variation at the hardware level you snotty pretentious asshats, since it has been scaled logarithmically since nigh-fucking-ever, even in the analog age.
Pulseaudio scales volume following a logarithmic map **TO** alsa PCM, which makes it closer to a log(log()) scale. Picture a volume scale where the dB values are closer to each other at the top.
This kind of behaviour is desirable on some professional hardware, I suppose to have fine-grained control at lower volumes, but that's not what I fucking want, hence why I said "It's a matter of choice".
>>
>tfw hating systemd and pusleaudio from experience before knowing who poettering even was
Holy shit. I've hated this guy my whole life without even knowing it. Literally the only packages I bother masking because they just fuck everything up.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.