[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debian or fedora?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: Linux distros.png (21 KB, 146x97) Image search: [Google]
Linux distros.png
21 KB, 146x97
Debian or fedora?
>>
>>51227186
Gentoo
>>
Fedora for new packages.
Debian for old-stable.
>>
File: pic2.jpg (80 KB, 762x505) Image search: [Google]
pic2.jpg
80 KB, 762x505
Fedora. It doesn't bork my entire GUI when I remove the mail client.
>>
>>51227186
Ignore these stupid which distro should i use threads they are stupid and pointless
>>
fedora
>>
>>51227186
Fedora is cutting edge with genius package management, debian is more wide-spread and more stable.
>>
>tfw i will never use fedora simply because of the name
>>
What's the best way to Debian?
Stable, testing, unstable?
I also saw there is no options for netinstall when downloading iso, you choose version during installation?
>>
>>51227781
Testing desu senpai
and no, the netinst iso is different to the full one
>>
>>51227781
You can change the version in the sources.list file. Use stable for your servers and testing for everything else.
If you are thinking about using unstable, you should probably go to arch because of the AUR.
>>
debian because fedora logo looks too much like failbook logo
>>
>>51227457
refer to it as Red Hat nightly :^)
>>
>>51227825
What's wrong with using stable as a desktop?
>>
>>51227911
extremely outdated packages
>>
>>51227186
*tips*
>>
>>51227944
No, they're extremely stable software with a fuck ton of security patches and fixes back ported and simply lacking the latest features with all the bugs those bring.
>>
>>51227980
Cheers family
I'll keep using stable then
>>
>>51227186
Wangblows
>>
Fedora for sure
>>
Main arguments against debian:
>debian
>plebian

Main arguments against fedora:
>tips fedora
>>
If you have to ask, then probably *buntu or Mint.
>>
>>51228123
You know, plebeian is one of those words you never really want to typo.
>>
File: linus.jpg (43 KB, 514x768) Image search: [Google]
linus.jpg
43 KB, 514x768
>>51227186
Fedora ofc.
>>
File: neckbeardfedora.jpg (38 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
neckbeardfedora.jpg
38 KB, 479x720
>>51227951
>average fedora user
>>
>>51228134
he meant pleb+debian=plebian
not the roman class
PLEH-bee-in not pluh-BEE-in
>>
>>51228195
ebin XD
>>
OpenSUSE
Proven to be most compatible with Microsoft stuf
>>
I'd use fedora on a workstation and centos on a server, but if I wanted something a bit more stable on a workstation I'd probably use debian
>>
>>51227186
debian with a recent kernel
>>
File: lepht.jpg (21 KB, 600x223) Image search: [Google]
lepht.jpg
21 KB, 600x223
>>51228195
>average fedora user
>>
File: 1444834474758.webm (175 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444834474758.webm
175 KB, 1920x1080
>average Debian user
>>
>>51228336
What difference would it make?
>>
>>51228418
you have a nice 4 instead of an ugly 3
>>
Debian testing, in Fedora I can't deal with the shit repos but that's par for the course with RPM distros. Plus dnf is just shit. It has decent dependency resolution (but being better at that than apt isn't hard) but it runs like shit.
>>
>>51227186
the answer is always gentoo
>>
>>51227980
>barely any modern drivers
>nothing works
fuck you
>>
>>51228603
>doesn't even compile his own kernel

kids today...
>>
>>51227274
>i don't know how to manually install/remove software
The reason it does this is because you have installed the base system from a system image and it basically views the entire image as a single package with corresponding dependencies. Takes about a minute time to learn how to avoid this problem. Debian simply wants to offer you a complete solution.
>>
>>51227274
Come on anon, all these packages must be uninstalled because REASONS
>>
>>51227186
Fedora is cutting-edge and pretty stable, Sid is cutting-edge and less stable.

I've used fedora but in the end i'm back on debian. No idea why, i probably just grown accustomed to it.
>>
Fedora.
It has RH paid devs working on it and since they fix 90% of security in general FOSS stuff you get that fastest.

Debian leaches off of their work so picking debian is like drinking milkshake, only it's already been drank by the guy that made it and now he's just pissing slowly in to your mouth.
>>
I use debian, tried fedora once and I didn't like it, because it was bloated with shit. Debian testing minimal instalation does the work good for me.
>>
>>51228374
This fag is such an attention whore, I'm glad his wife is dead.
>>
Fedora if you want to have packages from this decade.
>>
>>51232810
There's really no minimal Fedora install?
>>
>>51234263
yeah there is..
>>
seriously, debian sid + apt pinning

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
>>
I like both, Fedora if you're new to Linux because it's easy to use and Debian if you have experience
>>
File: 7a5.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
7a5.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>>51228218
>>
So I tried debian a few days ago.
Why is loonix such a fucking nightmare?
Wasted an hour figuring out how to even connect to a wireless network during installation.
Boot up, black screen nothing happens.
Google again, have to add nomodeset or some shit like that.

Install Steam, that only took like 5 minutes after entering the same command 10 times it finally worked.
Execute Steam, nothing happens, doesn't work at all.

Like jesus christ I can't even do the most basic fucking stuff.
And don't get me started on why is it asking me to insert a fucking cd every time I'm installing packages.(yes I fucking fixed it, still it's retarded that I have to waste my time fixing it)
And you can't install two things at the same time or have package manager and do something meaningful in terminal at the same time, like what the fuck?

>nice blog
>>
>>51227274
install gnome-core instead of gnome next time
>>
File: 1.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>51236356
how retarded can you possibly be to fuck up a Debian install
>>
>>51236380
Idk man its like it hates me.
I really wanted to get into linux for a few months now. This is my first full install of a distro.
And nothing fucking works.
All I wanted to do was rice it out a bit, install one or two shitty games and call it a day.
And I've spent the whole day googling shit and accomplishing almost none of those things.
>>
>>51227825
>Testing
>Better than Unstable
niceme.me
>>
>>51236537
I would say connect your comp to Ethernet, and let the installer do it's thing with everything at the defaults. I remember installing it once and all my dependencies were fucked up so I just reinstalled and everything is fine. It's better to do it again and wait like 20 minutes instead of fiddling for hours. What kind of computer do you have?
>>
>>51236356
lol it's not hard.
Maybe try a Debian derivative like aptosid. It's been years since I did it but when I installed sidux (the predecessor to aptosid) it literally took like 3 minutes to install, and that was on an old shitty single core athlon with a gig of ram.
Anyway, it's a rolling release distro based on Debian Sid... Also check out smxi.org for a handy little script to take care of a lot of shit.
>>
>>51236652
Actually maybe it's siduction not aptosid, fuck lost track of it a long time ago lol.
>>
>>51227186
debian. The sanest and the stablest fuckin distro among the binary ones out there. Even the testing one. The only thing that has to be done in it is to remove the fuckin cancer that is systemd.
...and don't listen to faggots like >>51227274
who do not even know what a metapackage is.
>>
>>51236593
>>51236652

It's fine now, installation wise.
I had to put wifi firmware on a usb device and it would search for it during install.
Its my main desktop pc, i5, radeon 7950.

For some reason everything else I try to install, there will always be some problem and dependencies that create even more problems...

I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
I guess I just have to get used to how things work.
>>
>>51236356
>And you can't install two things at the same time
pic related
>or have package manager and do something meaningful in terminal at the same time, like what the fuck?
open another terminal window, or use &
not that fucking hard
>>
I prefer Fedora with gnome. Don`t really care for systemDicks debacle.

It might be unstable but at least it feels like you`re using a real OS instead of cobbled together mess that is debian. Heck Debian is such a shitty project that they got like 4 different kernels just cause. Ubantu is the only tolerable debian based distro and only because of documentation and support.
>>
File: 1446944089.png (7 KB, 563x202) Image search: [Google]
1446944089.png
7 KB, 563x202
>>51236934
fuck forgot pic
>>
>>51236714
I've always been curious as to why people seem to despise Systemd. I don't really know that much about it though.
>>
>>51237018
Google svchost.exe. That's where systemd is taking Linux.
>>
>>51232810
>muh bloat

You kucks are the worse. Any distro is as bloated as you make it out to be. You can easily install a minimal installation of Fedora if you want.
>>
>>51237018

lintards don`t want a common base

they still think that having a trillion versions of the same packages in different configurations equals choice and freedumbs
>>
>>51236356
just use ubuntu (ideally, xubuntu which has a ordinary, normal desktop and is just ubuntu)
like, you're retarded (deeply and fundamentally, I dunno how anyone who frequents /g/ could fuck up a Debian install, and you should consider leaving), but ubuntu autoconfigures a bunch of shit and generally just werks
bunch of people seem to give shit about ubuntu, but most people considering switching to Linux have absolutely no reason to use anything else unless they're looking for some kind of challenge
>>
>>51227186
Suse
>>
>>51236356
You suck, don't use linux. In fact buy a mac, and then don't forget to plug it in...
>>
>>51236356
My first debian install:
>follow graphical install
>some non-free firmware is missing during install
>don't have it availabe
>hardware (network adapter) still works flawlessly
>boot up
>everything werks, no updates to install (like windows) all done
>want to install steam, among other things
>steam launcher tells me what is missing
>install what is missing
>try steam again
>werks

You must be pretty darn stupid, anon.
>>
>>51239477
>frequents /g/ could fuck up a Debian install

lintard please, everyone on /g/ breaks their system on occasion. Linux in particular is easy as fuck to render unusable.
>>
>>51240040
>gets mad that he has to get nonfree firmware separately
>some real problems, admittedly
>some nonexistent problems

linux is pretty easy to render unusable, but this guy is pure fucking retard
>>
>>51236356

buy a mac and a 12 inch dragon dild
>>
>>51240330
>only 12 inches
>>
>>51227186
fedebian
>>
>>51240637
I'm more partial to Dedora myself
>>
>>51236952
Fedora is definitely more Windowsy where shit changes just because some asshole at Red Hat wants it to, can be a good or bad thing
>>
>>51227186
>not using ArchBSD
>>
How do you pronounce debian?

Like "dee bee en" or "debbie anne"
>>
>>51240693
The thing is brother that everyone follows Red Hat on system design. Hell Ubuntu is dropping their own Software Center to use GNOME's Software.
>>
>>51240704
like deviant, but without a t
>>
>>51240704
Deb+Ian
>>
void linux tbqhfaⅿ
>>
Arch GNU+Linux
>>
>>51240704
http://youpronounce.it/search.jsp?q=debian
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.