[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here am I, a young underpaid engineer. Though I have the feeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
File: 立花.jpg (676 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
立花.jpg
676 KB, 960x1280
So here am I, a young underpaid engineer. Though I have the feeling not to have maximized my potential, I came to the acceptance that I'm too autistic to have the "relational network" mandatory for a good career full of dollar and bitchy secretaries.

I don't like my job that much but since I don't have much at home waiting for me anyway, I easily see myself doing overwork to please the Chad-ish manager so he won't yell at me when my depressive phase will return.

Anyway, I have this small desk, poor quality screen and slow hardware to accompany me through the days. I'm allowed to run linux, and though it's ubuntu, I guess I should not complain that much.

I am seeking comfiness in the corporate world. I already brought my favorite mug and snacks. I want to also take one mech keyboard and wrist rest to my desk in the next weeks.

How do you anon get comfy at work? Please tip me on making this time less painful and not being the outcast I was in university.

>inb4
> Who's this semen demon // and other meme catchphrases from reddit
立花 はるみ my favorite JAV performer.
>>
Your first mistake was to accept autism. Never accept autism.

Public speech classes, rhetoric courses, hell, even PUA tier type shit.
>>
if it makes you feel better OP, you sound like me in the future
>>
File: trump-00.jpg (10 KB, 234x267) Image search: [Google]
trump-00.jpg
10 KB, 234x267
>>51226793
If you put as much effort into your life as you did in that horrible /r9k/ /adv/ post you would be swimming in money, vagina, and smug satisfaction.
>>
>>51226793
>since I don't have much at home waiting for me anyway, I easily see myself doing overwork
You need to get yourself a hobby or two, even if it's just tinkering with old computers from the 70's and 80's or something like that (demoscene stuff, music, etc.)
>>
>>51226793
Move to Norway duh
>>
File: unnamed (5).jpg (63 KB, 450x325) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (5).jpg
63 KB, 450x325
>>51227869
I try to fight it a lot in my late teens early twenties. It always turned out in either me becoming awkward or not fitting the social pattern and falling to case 1 once more

>>51227997
I have always be the small tiny guy that can be bullied and no one would care. There's no bully anymore but I built myself around being invisible and living in the shadow. I do not wish to be in the light and success, constantly fighting other Chads for being the alpha male in the office.
Just want to live and comfortably my says in office.

>>51228083
I have few hobbies on the weekend. I don't mind overworking a little bit if the working environment turns out not to be painful and toxic.
>>
>seeking comfiness in the corporate world
There's your mistake
>>
File: unnamed (4).jpg (63 KB, 434x339) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (4).jpg
63 KB, 434x339
>>51228205
I will from now on spend most of my life in this place. Making my desk "mine", developing a routine to make me feel like this is not a foreign place... This kind of things. Of course it won't be home, but it can't be hell either.
I want to get advice from other anon about which small changes have increase your comfort.
I was thinking about my mug and snacks, to keep my habits, a keyboard like, since I will spend my days on it... What do I forgot? A Rei's boobs mousepad might be too much tho.
>>
Your life sounds like what mine will be like when I've finished my degree.

I disappear when I'm in a big group. Why not search for work in a smaller company? That might be comfier. These guys look comfy, scroll down to the quotes with the employees: http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a17574/masten-space-systems/
>>
>>51226793

I know how that feels OP. Tips from a new software engineer with the same problems:

1. never work overtime unless it is absolutely necessary. You won't get any credit and it'll just burn you out.

2. pick up a hobby that gets you away from a screen. I had been feeling this way till I started learning guitar and I'm having a lot more fun.

3. work is work, not some happy fun time or something that has to make you feel fulfilled / like a productive member of society.

So have a life outside whatever gig you do to make money, because you are more than your job.
>>
File: image.jpg (473 KB, 1739x1446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
473 KB, 1739x1446
>>51228154
>I don't wish to be in light and success

You /r9k/ guys make me sick.
>>
File: 137652.e4b7bc.jpg (105 KB, 300x441) Image search: [Google]
137652.e4b7bc.jpg
105 KB, 300x441
>>51228297
I interned in a small company during my master degree. I actually disliked the place. It was ruled by this one dude with all the power and behaved like a fag version of Stalin quoting Steve Jobs. Since he had all the decision power, it was always courtesans strategy to be in his light. I may have had just a bad experience but I wanted to try elsewhere then.

>>51228349
Thank you, I'll try to keep your tips in mind. However if I just work without having any confidence it will fulfill me or provide me some sort of happiness, I might burnout easily then.

>>51228357
Why should I want to go in a competitive place instead of staying back in my position where I can assure a long term position away from the battlefield to management?
>>
File: Itachi_Uchiha1.png (356 KB, 1204x900) Image search: [Google]
Itachi_Uchiha1.png
356 KB, 1204x900
>>51228154
>being invisible and living in the shadow.
Have you ever considered becoming a Ninja?
>>
I know this feeling. Focus on an art, your body, and a career goal. Invest in yourself a bit ($+ time) and fight through it. Do it everyday even when tired. If you fuck up, reset your chain. Slow down on watching tits because it will turn you into a bitch and fuck your energies over. Chill for a month and watch how clear your mind becomes. Beat off at a shitty job at a shitty desk or fuck the shit out of life. If you are worried about fucking peeps and others perceptions of that, don't worry about it. You are on a mission now to turn shit around and have another go at your dreams. Pussy is done for the time being until you get shit figured out. Try it for a few weeks. Create a crazy delusion and believe in it. A world will be built with your own rules that you can change at any time. Fuck it.
>>
>>51228154
get to the gym chad.
>>
>>51228449
quit job. become a neet.
>>
File: テンテン.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
テンテン.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>51228578
I guess I'll be Tenten then, Useless but live till the end.

>>51228590
Motivating advice but will I be strong enough to follow it more than few weeks? I think that it's too unnatural to me to be followed. But I get the idea. Small changes first.

>>51228639
Hate gym. I go running tho.

>>51228666
Advice of the devil.
>>
>>51228697
>I guess I'll be Tenten then
You are such a freaking /r9k/ weirdo.

But, Tenten = Best girl so...
>>
>>51228349

>1. never work overtime unless it is absolutely necessary. You won't get any credit and it'll just burn you out.

1000x this.

We have a new employee who works herself into oblivion (working until 10pm every night), and complains endlessly during the day about how much work she has do, and how stressed she is.

Don't be that person, you'll become the office Pariah.

Get your superiors to assign an order of priority to the projects you are working on.

Every executive's pet project is "P1" and they'll try to pressure you into doing their thing first, regardless of your workload. It's the job of the Project Management Office/IT Management to prioritize jobs for technical resources (i.e. you) and shield you from all that bullshit. Make them do their job.

Give realistic time frames for completing projects based on their priority (as defined by your superiors) and your current workload.

If something unanticipated causes the timeline to blow out on a project, it could have a knock-on effect for other things you're working on. Management needs to either assign some of the projects you're working on to other people, or accept that there will be delays. There's only so much time in the day.

Busting your ass and doing overtime is only reasonable if it's a team effort, like for a critical incident (organization-wide outage, disaster recovery scenario, etc); or if you've genuinely fucked up and you need to make good on that.

Also, you need to be paid overtime for scheduled outages outside business hours, or at the very least get time off in lieu.

It is all assuming that you don't work for an insane meat-grinder office. If you do, then it's time to GTFO.
>>
File: 女性の列車の運転手.jpg (115 KB, 1063x1600) Image search: [Google]
女性の列車の運転手.jpg
115 KB, 1063x1600
>>51229456
Not in glorious Japan. Only Bolsheviks work harder than us.
>>
>>51229560

Well if you're a Japanese salary man then you're pretty much screwed into working overtime all the time.

Strangely, foreign workers in Japan don't seem to have the same expectations placed on them.
>>
>>51229747
Crazy hours, endless meetings and low salary for engineer. I'm jelly of German, French and americans engineer's salary.
But Japan is so based I dont see myself moving out.
>>
>>51229800
Are you a waitu piggu living in Japan or are you actually a Jap?
>>
File: qt3.14159265WantsToDoTheJihad.jpg (51 KB, 602x330) Image search: [Google]
qt3.14159265WantsToDoTheJihad.jpg
51 KB, 602x330
外国人my friend :^)
>>
>>51226793
This reminds me a short job try in some really beautiful building. Beautiful office.
Was just getting out from a well payed position that I enjoyed a lot, beeing lead developper. Sadly our pool of investors went away. The marketing team was shit and just ruined the whole project which was pretty good technically.
I ended up in some weird start-up, recommended to the boss by a woman from my ex-company, why not, give it a try. Everything was fine in this office, except they put me in the worst and dam depressive corner I've ever been in ten fucking years, with a fucking c2d 2mb outdated computer to code in.
The day before, I was having 3x good computers at my desk, and 10 servers to manage on my own with some orchestrating tools.
Adding to this a fucking Python project to code in. Which was a 3 years old crap given from interns to new dev, finally bought by this company to make a new version..
I spent 2 days there, and just vanished.
The only good thing would have been the money, since I requested the same amount than in last position.. but it was clear I couldn't stay sane there.
>>
God, I totally see myself in the same situation you guys are in a few years.
Now that you got a not-so-bad job, what is your average week like? Do you just work all the time, do you have friends to talk to or hang out with, do you have hobbies you are still truly passionate about?
Do you have more money than you can reasonably spend, even when saving a considerable amount, or money is still a problem? Do you ever feel like you are wasting your life working so much?
And more importantly, what do you wish you had done differently if you could go back in time a few years?
>>
File: たちばな.jpg (69 KB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
たちばな.jpg
69 KB, 736x1104
>>51230476
If you have to choose between :
> Well paid job job in a environment you don't like
> Shit payed shit job but enjoying your life outside the company
Which one would you choose?
>>
>>51230713
Go to job in the morning. come back at night. Sometime I eat outside in a cheap restaurant when I'm too lazy to cook myself.
Don't have much friends but I date someone. I see her every weekend.
About hobbies, I am not passionate about anything. I have some point of interests around though.
Money is enough to live but not enough to fulfill my desires, travel while I'm young and put some in the bank in case shit happens.
Feel underpaid, because I could work elsewhere and earn 25% more. But I am almost certain to regret if I spend the years in another country. However, I think eveyday about the dudes younger than me yet wealthier.
I do feel like waisting my time but who doesn't?
Too early to know what would I change, but if I start crying on the split milk, I'll spend my life in regret and sadness.

To be honest, I am sad when I see people I know and who are not as good as me succeed where I could have done better
>>
>>>51228590 (You)
>Motivating advice but will I be strong enough to follow it more than few weeks? I think that it's too unnatural to me to be followed. But I get the idea. Small changes first.

Prove it to yourself man. That is all you have to do. Create a system and believe in it. Tinker with it. Don't listen to anyone here - create a system that works for you now. Take every idea you like and purge the rest. Everything can be revisited later. Some things that sound like shit now might be appealing in a year or when you "level up". It's not about being alpha or dominating the world, its more of hitting your marks and being what you want. Eventually you will fall in love with the process more than the end result. Be shitty for a while at something and remember that it is okay. It is pretty awesome to be shitty, because you always know that the last practice, study session, or workout you were shittier. You will never know the result until someone else points it our honestly. The growing can be hard, you just have to do it. If anything, prove your "system" is fucking awesome. Prove it to yourself. Don't ever think its uncool to "try" and Fuck anyone who thinks it is. Small steps is right. Give it time! Crush it and butt fuck the shit out of life! There is NO other option really. Do it or don't. Your time is not up and there's plenty to do. Get some sleep, reset, and figure it out. What you are doing now - isn't working. Time for change.
>>
>>51231073
This is not a healthy thinking but I cannot be happy if people I consider inferior than me (university Chads classmates, party dudes who get high yet mysteriously passed all the test...) are successful.
Maybe its because I always worked hard at school thinking "I'll see later when they will all struggle and when my effort will pay up".

All these years in disillusion, if it comes out to have been useless, what a pity.
>>
>>51231167
>adding you in parenthesis in your post.
You're a filthy animal.
Also
>purposefully emulating an Evangelion Instrumentality in your brain
Should I also create an imaginary friend to talk to like mr robot?
>>
>>51230933
I take the low-pay job. Money is not a mean when you are unhappy.
I then started a project on my own, without any pay for a year, living on my economy. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.