[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sg/ - Surface General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: surfacepro3_4-100269420-orig.jpg (493 KB, 1868x1250) Image search: [Google]
surfacepro3_4-100269420-orig.jpg
493 KB, 1868x1250
Post your Surface.
What do you use your Surface for?
Why did you get one over countless other laptops/tablets?
Any drawfags?
>>
i wanna get one this fall, hopefully there will be a black friday sale

i just want one of the cheaper ones. all i need it for is word processing, some programming, and internet browsing. i like the surface because it's sexy looking and most laptops are uggo.
>>
>>51221517
I hardly see the Surface on sale. Sometimes they're $150 off on the Microsoft site, that's about it.
They do offer an Education discount of 10%.
>>
I want one to play civ 5 with touchscreen
>>
File: 2015-11-06.png (511 KB, 2736x1824) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-06.png
511 KB, 2736x1824
>>51221483
I mostly use it for shitposting
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (102 KB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
102 KB, 2160x1440
I have a Surface Pro 3. I use it for drawing, but I can't do jack shit besides chicken scratching because of pic related.
>>
Hows OSX run on the 1st/2nd gen ones?
>>
Have a SP4. Returning it. It's only good for artists and people that prefer extensive handwritten notes. Pen and touch screen are top notch. For those purposes it's unmatched by any product on the market. the iPad Pro is a literal fucking joke in comparison to this device. It's a high quality device indeed but It's too large and unwieldy for typical tablet usage to justify the cost unless those two above points apply you. Battery life is pretty meh. It's ok for light gaming but I would never use it as a main gaming machine anyway.

Windows 10 is whatever. I SSH into boxes to do dev work related things so the OS I use is of little consequence. I do prefer it to OSX. UI out of the box isn't bad.

Will be picking up a Pixel C when they put it out and a cheaper ultra book instead more than likely. Also considering a Chromebook Pixel.
>>
>>51221789
>I do prefer it to OSX
Why? OSX is better to use if you use SSH a lot.

And also look into the XPS 13. A unadvertised model with QHD, core i5, and 128gb SSD is sold on the Microsoft store for only $999

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-2727SLV-Core-i5-128GB-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312527400
>>
>>51221733
Better yet, does it at all?

Also why run OS X on a touchscreen? Not optimized for that purpose in the slightest
>>
>>51221924
Why run any regular laptop with a touchscreen if it comes with a good trackpad?
>>
>>51221732
You're doing it wrong. Do long-fast strokes to avoid the problem.
That's how you're supposed to draw anyway.
>>
>>51221733
Runs really well in a VM.
>>
How do I get better at writing on the SP3? My print writing on pen and paper is pretty good and my handwriting isn't balls but fuck me if I'm trying to take notes on this thing. My hand feels pretty tired after a session of writing on it so maybe I'm using too much pressure.
>>
>>51221685
Dream come true.

Then add in the extensions soon for 4chanX+ OneeChan experience.
>>
>>51222590
I thought 4chanX was dead? When did it come back?
>>
>>51222625
Google it senpai, the absolutely best shitpostin experience is around with a fork + OneeChan polishing to perfection.
>>
>>51222632
Been using AppChan ever since 4chanX stopped development. No need for OneeChan.
>>
>>51221732
>>51222074
or if you need to draw slow, try using Lazy Nezumi, or draw in software like manga studio. The Pro 4 is suuposed to have less issue here than the 3
>>
>>51226196
>$35US
Damn, these companies love to exploit the budding artist.
>>
>>51226244
I feel like artists are the most persecuted demographic in the tech world. We are always forced to accept either exorbitant costs or frustrating comprimise
>>
m3 or i5?
>>
>>51227035
Depends on what you're planning to do on the SP4.
>>
>>51227081
Mostly office work. Emails, remote networking, presentations and reviewing pictures.
>>
>>51227156
m3 would do it easily.
i5 however is best value for money though for Performance/$$$
>>
Best Surface
>>
>>51227255
Thought that.
I will go for the i5, just to be on the safe side.
The i7 range is horridly overpriced isnt it?
>>
>>51227366
The i7 is for that sweet, sweet graphics performance. Not much use though in a tablet style computer.
>>
>>51221483
>Surface general
>General
General threads belong on /vg/
Fuck off
>>
>>51227363
Whats so good about it?
>>
I'll wait for Pro 2.
I was hype for it but after watching review videos on Youtube, I feel like there's still a lot of room for improvement.
>>
File: 1444913080650.jpg (7 KB, 250x216) Image search: [Google]
1444913080650.jpg
7 KB, 250x216
>That price for the model with the gpu
HOW DO MS GET AWAY WITH THIS SHIT
>>
>>51227849
what?
>>
>>51221909
I mean for bash related stuff I use Cygwin and it works fairly well, only issue is slow start up, besides power shell has ssh
>>
>>51222573
I would look to see if the pen settings will let you make it more sensitive.
>>
Want a tablet with a pressure sensitive pen that can run Windows (not RT shit), currently considering a Surface Pro 2 for about £240. The next cheapest option is a Surface 3 for about £100 more, whilst being newer I don't think the Atom will be as good as the i5 for my uses (photo editing and drawing).

Are there any worthwhile alternatives from other Manufacturers that I should check out? All I could find that has a pen are the Dell Venue 8 and 10 Pro but then they also have Atoms.
>>
I've got the first-gen Surface Pro at the mo, and the Type Cover I had mysteriously died.

Going to get a Pro 4 once all the quality control issues have been sorted out. The question is whether I get the m3 or the i5 8GB version - the i5 4GB version doesn't make much sense to me. I'd like the additional memory but don't desperately need it, since the bulk of my tasks are taking notes in lectures and web browsing. I can use my university's cluster for heavy lifting if I need to.
>>
Is the screen color gamut and color accuracy as good as it gets? Is it better than that on a Cintiq?

I'm coming around to the idea that this could be a useful art tool despite N-Trig shortcomings, which don't appear to be dealbreakers
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.