[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone still use this??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: mac-osx-snow-leopard.jpg (89 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
mac-osx-snow-leopard.jpg
89 KB, 1200x630
Just created a partition on my computer. Installing 10.6 right now. Aside from some tinkering around with, is Snow Leopard still worth using today? What practical use can you get out of it? Genuinely curious here. Thanks /g/
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>50833530
>practical use
>OS X

Pick one.
>>
>>50833703
Can I get a non-autistic response please. Thanks
>>
I couldn't get any practical use out of it when it was new.
>>
I tried Tiger once when I found an old ibook G4 at a pawn with a broken lid latch.
Paid $40 and tried it out.
PowerPC is a dead architecture pretty much. Almost no modern software is compiled with it in mind and it's all moved to x86.
>>
>>50833940
You're talking OS X 10.4, this is 10.6 Snow Leopard. It only supports Intel architecture. Which is why I believe it's still usable.
>>
>>50833530
I really liked it when I had it. Regretted every upgrade since up until El Capitan.

Seems like they've finally started to care about performance again.
>>
>>50833530
snow leopard is apple's XP

A large portion of software still supports it
>>
>>50833703
thistbhfam
>>
Snow Leopard user here. On a 2008 iMac, never reformatted the drive, icons sometimes come up glitchy (but return to normal the next time I boot,) but otherwise still works fine. Been meaning to reformat the drive and upgrade to the latest OS for the past two years, but been too lazy.

Most of my work on it circles around, web browsing, GIMP, Illustrator (original CS, never bothered to update that,) occasional short video edits, and playing Quake.
>>
>>50833530
I stayed on it until that huge java bug scare several months ago, moved to mtn lion and its pretty acceptable. Miss Rosetta, there's a bunch of old audio plugins that were never updated to universal.

And I hate updating everything through the app store.
>>
>>50833530
I keep it on my Hackintosh because its a trouble free install and rock solid. Free version of Mac the Ripper, to rip DVDs only works on Snow Leopard.
>>
I own a 12 core Mac Pro, and have been using Macs for work for a while.

Fuck do i miss Snow Leopard. Same thing as Leopard, bit snow is 64 bit. It was stable as fuck, and worked with so much software. After that, shit started getting glitchy, and support for "legacy" apps was dropped. So a lot of shit that i used to use.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.