[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gentoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 20150927_103154.jpg (824 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
20150927_103154.jpg
824 KB, 2304x1296
How many of you actualy have gentoo installed?
Be honest
>>
Yes.
>>
>>
>>50830092
yeah. I have done a complete install. wifi, graphcis, sound, KDE (I just picked KDE because why not), and everything else that is necessary. it was a lot of fun, only took two days first full install. if I do that a few more times, I can get gentoo installed in a matter of hours.
>>
>>50830092
I have on my three computers.
>>
>>50830092
Installed it three times.Was not impressed.Seriously,it's not even that great.It's more of a pain to install than Arch, and it's effort to pay-off ratio is miniscule.Recommened only for autists with hang ups over the most niggling details.
>>
>>50830155
>only took two days first full install
>only two days
>>
back in 2004 - 2006 i use to use gentoo as my only distro and linux as my only OS.

it was great then. had a amd 3500+ and then upgraded to a 4800+. those compile times on the 4800+ at the time where amazing since it was a dual core.

then when vista came out i went back to windows for muh dx10 games.

then around 2008 i started to mess around with arch linux as a dual boot. herd people say it was like gentoo but binary and better community. been using arch since along with windows - muh games.
>>
>>50830092
i use it for testing some things in a sandboxed environment. It is lightweight enough that the virtual machine boot time is rather fast. (~30-35 seconds)
>>
>>50830092
Yup, with Unity as my DE.
>>
>>50832086
I don't quite see why everyone hates on it. It does the job and looks fine. Still, you're an idiot.

>no tilling window manager
>>
>>50830092
I've started Linux from scratch several times, don't have the patience to get very far. Haven't bothered with Gen2 at all.
>>
No, arch is the most I would want to sink my time into.

Run Debian and Ubuntu now.
>>
>>50832144
my god, why???
that is NOT a stable system to use for daily use. It is meant entirely for teaching people the structure of linux (and in general computers)
>>
File: gentools.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
gentools.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>50830092
Yup. Learned linux the hard way.
>>
me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGSMUep6_4
>>
I couldn't get past configuring the kernel options and modules. Went with something easier.
>>
>>50832487
should have just used the gen-kernel
best option for the first install
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.