[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheapest Bluetooth LE item?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: bluetooth-le-578x433.png (122 KB, 578x433) Image search: [Google]
bluetooth-le-578x433.png
122 KB, 578x433
Basically I want to buy an item that connects to my phone with Bluetooth 4.0 LE.
This can be a smart band (fitness bullshit?), earpiece, smart watch, whatever.

Problem is, the price.
Well it is not a problem, but I don't want wasting money.

The sole purpose of the said item?
To be the token for Smart Unlock*.

> inb4 use location
Location based unlock sucks.
Unreliable, GPS sucks battery at all the time.

* It's an Android feature.
Basically you have a strong password, pin, code, whatever.
But it's a hassle to enter said things when the phone is in 'safe environment'.
So there is a "Trust Provider", and you get one from Google with Android itself (Google Play Services).
It can use bluetooth, NFC, and location based trust.

There is also a way to write your own provider.
There is a piece of code on Github, if anyone is interested.
Basically all it takes is a single line of code (duh), to "give trust".
But this is simply a "No Lock" app, with Swipe.
>>
Oh yeah, so I could buy a smart watch, but I just don't feel like they are ready yet. They have shit battery life, shitty screen size, etc etc.

So far Pebble's looks the best (to me), even though it's not _that_ smart, but it costs a fortune.
(With steel body and all.)
>>
Xiaomi Mi Band, probably.
>>
>>50810807
Check out the U8. It's not fancy at all, but the battery lasts all day, it can read texts and view notifications, and it has those fitness features that I don't use. It's normally about 15 dollars, but a vendor on Aliexpress has them for 7 right now.
>>
NFC rimg.
>>
>>50810850
>>50810939
Thanks! Will check prices.
Btw anything is fine as long as it connects and I can add it smart unlock.
Hell I will probably just keep the item in my bag or wherever close by.

>>50810978
Nah, NFC only gives you temporary unlock.
>>
>>50811436
I just tried adding it to trusted devices, and it definitely works. Again, it's only 7 dollars right now, and it doesn't look half bad.
>>
>>50811506
Thanks, well, I might pick this. But so far I lean towards the Mi Band just because it lasts way longer (so the ad says - but ads, are ads, right?)

>>50810850
I can order from eBay, but how do I know if it's the real deal and I won't get scammed?
>>
>>50811569
Yeah. The watch only lasts a couple of days.
>>
>>50811598
joke on the top android brands - their watch also lasts only a few days. (Btw if I would invest in a smart watch, I would probably buy the Pebble - latest - because it's smart, and lasts long enough. But then again it costs way too fucking much - so no way.)

So far I found a few listings on eBay, but its literally a tiny piece of shit (MiBand) - so I have no idea how to verify if it's the original...
>>
>>50811627
Yeah. Personally, I went with the U8. I don't wear my watch at night anyways, and there is 0 worry about it losing power if I charge it every night. Does alright. The only thing it's really lacking is good apps.
>>
>>50811676
btw do you think the original Xiaomi app would work with a fake miband?
I mean I have ebay's buyer protection and all but somehow I have to verify if I get scammed.
>>
>>50810850
well, fuck:
http://ec2-54-243-194-135.compute-1.amazonaws.com/thread-62809-1-1.html
>>
Can't you just set it to unlock whenever you connect to your home wifi?
>>
>>50811826
Well...
1) You can do this. Basically if you have your own app, and you add your app as a "Trust Provider", you can do anything.
You could just have a widget, or a button, whatever.

2) The piece of code on Github also contains code for this, so that's already there. But yeah the app also contains other rubbish, and you would have to check it for backdoors, but otherwise, it's good.

3) This is the main reason: I have to leave the basement (well, I don't even have a basement) quite often, and unlocking my phone is a hassle.
With a smart unlock token, a bluetooth device, I would be able to unlock it with ease, yet, if it gets stolen, the phone just locks down.
(Or I can just disable BT and there I have no unlock.)
>>
>>50811685
I'm not really an expert, but I saw there were software issues with Knockoff U8s, so I wouldn't risk it.
>>
Oh well, ordered a Miband from a UK Chinese seller, let's see how it goes.

> inb4 I get scammed
there is the money back protection
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.