[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who work on IT or similar fields. Do you find joy and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Old people.jpg (180 KB, 2420x2031) Image search: [Google]
Old people.jpg
180 KB, 2420x2031
People who work on IT or similar fields. Do you find joy and fulfillment when you help out old people or do you just get frustrated? just curious that's all
>>
Depends. I feel fulfilled if I help someone out who is eager to cooperate and learn. No matter the age.
>>
>>50810713
the old people who i've tried to help usually refuse to learn anything. they just want me to solve their problem and leave them alone.

even if i do explain it to them and they pretend to be interested, we both know that they'll forget it in about a minute.

so no it is not satisfying to help old people.
>>
Old people are cute. Generally I find them to be fairly easy-going and easy to work with as long as you give clear and concise instructions and be patient. That was my experience at least when I worked phone support back in the day.
>>
>>50810747
>they just want me to solve their problem and leave them alone.
sounds like a reasonable request to me
>>
>>50810743
>Depends. I feel fulfilled if I help someone out who is eager to cooperate and learn
I've never met an old person that's like that.
>>
>>50810904
They're few and far between but they exist.
>>
>>50810888
upvoted
>>
>>50810888
I don't mind that. I do mind when people refuse to try and solve anything themselves, or help me to solve it.
>"I get an error message when I try to do such-and-such"
>"what does it say?"
>"I don't know, I just click cancel. Why don't you fix it?!"
>>
File: nb5XNY3.png (328 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nb5XNY3.png
328 KB, 500x500
>>50810713
As long as their problem is resolved quickly and not escalated, they are great.

If you can find a solution or don't have the right to apply it, they are just the worst person you'll met today.

Clients can make the distinction between assistance and servitude.
>>
>>50810747
Every time I try to teach my grandma anything she always acts like its way too difficult and she's afraid she's going to ruin everything.

Maybe I should just get her a Mac since Windows is too much for her
>>
>>50811872
She'll have trouble figuring that out, too. The only solution is to refuse to help her, at least unless she demonstrates that she's attempted to solve the problem on her own.
>>
>>50810713

old people are usually indignant, and or aggressive.

I asked a 70 year old woman today if she would like me to save her 14 character password into chrome for her, and she sternly looked at me and said "People are getting hacked all the time, and if they hack into my computer and get my password, it's all over... Thats why I keep all my passwords on this giant stack of note cards"

They act like I should know their exact level of mastery with a computer.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.