[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trefoil - Basalt Update
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: color.png (1 KB, 144x173) Image search: [Google]
color.png
1 KB, 144x173
Hi, I'm just dropping by to briefly announce an update to my Pebble Watch 4chan browser, Trefoil. At the suggestion of an anon, I added color to the application. I've also made a few small changes beyond that to port the application to "Basalt". The selection of usable colors is limited in PebbleJS, but Trefoil menus and post Cards are now green.

Should I invert the color scheme? I avoided the whole "retro terminal" look by just inverting the colors but I'm curious as to whether the app would look better changing them back. I also tried Cat-V's color scheme but it managed to look worse, especially without black outlines to the selection highlight.

Also, thanks to weird changes to the SDK and PebbleJS there are now problems with the Aplite version of Trefoil, and I apologize for any problems legacy users may encounter in advance.
>>
This looks cool (I actually like the color scheme, even if it seems a little edgy), but I feel obliged to insult you in some way.

Uh... something something gentoo cuck
>>
File: 1403215221547.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1403215221547.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
Nigger what?
>>
File: watch thread.png (2 KB, 148x172) Image search: [Google]
watch thread.png
2 KB, 148x172
>>50802655

I made an application for the Pebble Watch (https://www.pebble.com/) that allows you to browse 4chan a while back. People were talking about it a few hours back and I decided to make updates to the application. I said I'd push out the changes by the end of the night, so here we are.
>>
I promise I'm not trolling here, but why does the Pebble's screen look like such pixelated shit?

>>50802655
not OP, but this seems to be the github:
https://github.com/gitgud-software/trefoil

seems like it's written in C, which I find pretty interesting. how common is this among apps for wearable stuff?

i guess i'm confusing the pebble with an android phone or something, but i'd expected java for some reason
>>
>>50802854

Because it actually respects the limitations of wearable technology at the moment. Sure, you can have a higher definition display at that size, but not without a massive amount of battery drainage every day.

On the other hand, Pebble's cheap e-paper display allows the average Pebble to last 7-10 days on no charge, at the cost of looking like something between the Gameboy Color and Advance in terms of graphics.

It's a trade off of style vs. practicality. Though to be fair, my application also looks pretty shit.

Yeah, that's the repository.
>>
>>50802610
Does this app work on the original B/W pebble? I haven't used my Pebble in a while so I'm out of whack with the compatibility between the Color and normal Pebbles.

>>50802854
>I promise I'm not trolling here, but why does the Pebble's screen look like such pixelated shit?
Because it's a low res, 168x144 Sharp Memory LCD. It's either this or eink and eink is more expensive and has atrocious refresh rates.
They kept it the same res for compatibility on the color models.

>>50802900
Used to use my Pebble as a dumbwatch with customizable faces, the battery easily lasts over 1 month with the display always on.
>>
>>50802900
>battery drainage
shit, didn't even think about that. thanks

and i'm not insulting your application dude, i promise. it was just a passing thought i had. i think it's a cool idea, and i hope you have fun with it

see ya man, and good night
>>
>>50802920

Oh boy, here we go. At some point, yeah, it was working with the original models. But I got the request to add Basalt support, and opening up the Pandora's Box I decided to try it. I updated to the 3.4 SDK and the newest version of PebbleJS, set it all up, and everything compiled. The Basalt version works just fine now, but the Aplite version is really buggy and crashes frequently to my disappointment. It likely involves some changes to how menus and their memory management work and convert from Javascript to C.

So no, not at the moment. I'll be releasing a "Legacy" version of Trefoil compiled under an older version of the SDK eventually, failing a response from the Pebble developers on the issue. What's frustrating is that I can't designate one file as a "Basalt" build and the other as an "Aplite" build in the developer portal; the interface only allows one build to be pushed as a "release" per version.
>>
Here's the App Store page, by the way.

http://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/54c28707f3cb6cf024000064
>>
>>50803043
keep doing what you're doing, gitgud. Hoping to get into opensource wearable development someday
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.