[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /g/ i got a school project concerning 4k video and codecs.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 4K ULTRA HD.jpg (471 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
4K ULTRA HD.jpg
471 KB, 3840x2160
sup /g/

i got a school project concerning 4k video and codecs. after im done i plan on sharing my results here/ /g/ wiki as well, so can you guys help me so i can make it as possible?

what i have:
>panasonic gh-4
>sony pxw-x70

what i plan on doing
>shoot video at 4096/3840x2160 on both cameras
>export raw video
>compress videos to 80 and 40Mbps, and then downwards as far as we can, using h264, h265, vp9
>find out which codec keeps 4k video at best quality while keeping lowest file size
>doc the presets we use and found to be good ones

im open to any suggestions

what does a good sample video consist of?

are there any existing guides to HEVC i can use to do less manual work?

general encoding tips that someone like me who has rarely encoded shit might make use of?

thanks in advance!
>>
File: 4k.jpg (797 KB, 4096x2160) Image search: [Google]
4k.jpg
797 KB, 4096x2160
IDK m8.

4k still doesn't look that great tbh. Maybe it's because the compression or the lenses are too good, or both.

gl fam
>>
>>50793623
have you watched it through a 4k tv? dumb question but it seriously changed my opinion. we shot a few scenes outside the uni with the GH4 and exported it with as much quality as possible, then watched it on a 46" 4k tv and personally it was like the first time i saw 1080p/played games on a PC on ultra at 60fps.

you are correct in that honestly the quality is useless if you sit over 3-4m away, but for hueg screens and closer viewing it is excellent
>>
>>50793691

yeah I forgot it's hard to give a legit opinion if i've never actually seen a 4k at it's native res. can't do that with a 1080p monitor
>>
>>50793576
>what does a good sample video consist of?
First, you should have many different scenarios. Fast moving stuff, calm scenes, landscapes, low iso shots, high iso shots, just to see how the codecs respond and how they resolve fine details, noise, colors, fast movement etc. So you will probably end up filming different things in different locations. Most importantly, you need to use equipment that actually fully uses 4k. Many 4k videos basically look the same if resized to 1080p and encoded with the same bitrate, as there is just no detail to begin with. So you need good equipment, good optics and well lit scenes.
>>
>>50793739
like i mentioned, at further distances 4k looks like 4k does in a 1080p monitor: it looks very clean and no blurriness, but there isn't a "pop" to it. when you walk close you feel like you are watching a series of dslr camera pics.
>>
1080p vs 4k on a GH4 makes little to no difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NFmpJNvd4k
>>
>>50793774
>>50793806

thanks for the help. We have a decent lens for our GH-4, and we are shooting the videos in "cinema" presets that use the most bitrate. We have a 46" (i think) true 4K tv that we will use to check the differences on, and we will be doing a lot of encoding to figure out if how much the quality suffers.

>>50793806
we added this to be our final part in the project. i want to see if we come to the same conclusion.
>>
>>50793806

Linus is an idiot.

Sure it might not make a difference on Youtube, but why would video quality matter on Youtube?
>>
>>50793889
Did you even watch the video? The 4k comparison test was done in Premiere and Photoshop before youtube's encoding.
>>
>>50793889
he says in the video they notice the difference locally not on youtube
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.